• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Bones0

Smash Legend
One of you got a link to the tier list, I'm curious to see what they rate as the highest character, as I haven't seen it before.
No, I looked for the Japanese tier list but couldn't find it. I just distinctly remember Link being quite high compared to the US tier list at the time.

protip for the new guys: You can change your font color in your profile so you don't have to highlight your post and change it manually every time (I think that's what you are doing since I see your font color before I post my reply). :)

bdubz

Smash Rookie
NNID
itsbdubs
Hello all just dropping by to say hi, new to the scene just started playing melee "for real" about a month ago and have been watching matches and events online and practice mostly vs the cpu since my friends aren't into melee like me T_T.

YellowBand

Smash Cadet
Hello all just dropping by to say hi, new to the scene just started playing melee "for real" about a month ago and have been watching matches and events online and practice mostly vs the cpu since my friends aren't into melee like me T_T.
I know the feeling. I had no one to play with which is why stopped playing for like 3 years. Welcome to the community!! Hope you find some smashers in your area.

Kong

Smash Rookie
No, I looked for the Japanese tier list but couldn't find it. I just distinctly remember Link being quite high compared to the US tier list at the time.

protip for the new guys: You can change your font color in your profile so you don't have to highlight your post and change it manually every time (I think that's what you are doing since I see your font color before I post my reply). :)
Oh actually I'm not that new, been lurking around since late 2010, and just recently got a back on the forum, can't remember the name, or password actually, but thanks!

YellowBand

Smash Cadet
That happened to me lol on other sites too.

Do you guys think there's going to be another era of Melee that was like the one portrayed in the Smash Brothers doc? Like will there be another group of Brothers like Isai, Ken, KDJ, ect....

Bones0

Smash Legend
That happened to me lol on other sites too.

Do you guys think there's going to be another era of Melee that was like the one portrayed in the Smash Brothers doc? Like will there be another group of Brothers like Isai, Ken, KDJ, ect....
Armada, Mango, Hungrybox, Dr. Peepee, and Mew2King have been the established "Smash Brothers" for a while now. The documentary was amazing, but sometimes I fear people draw too big of a boundary between the MLG era and post-barlw era. Everything past RoM has been relatively smooth sailing. A lot of people act like the game just got revived out of nowhere for Evo, but the scene was doing great before Evo/Smash Doc. Just read Juggleguy's "Year in Review" series and you definitely don't get the sense that Melee was on its last legs or anything.

YellowBand

Smash Cadet
Armada, Mango, Hungrybox, Dr. Peepee, and Mew2King have been the established "Smash Brothers" for a while now. The documentary was amazing, but sometimes I fear people draw too big of a boundary between the MLG era and post-barlw era. Everything past RoM has been relatively smooth sailing. A lot of people act like the game just got revived out of nowhere for Evo, but the scene was doing great before Evo/Smash Doc. Just read Juggleguy's "Year in Review" series and you definitely don't get the sense that Melee was on its last legs or anything.
I mean it's not that I think that it was dead, so much as only the real smashers were the ones that kept it alive in their areas, but if you see the new wave of players that are coming into it and it's blowing up so much more than it was a couple of years ago. You're right about the Brothers tho, who got next?!

McNasty

Smash Rookie
The Smash Brothers documentary was amazing. no doubt, but Melee was far from dying before the documentary. TBH all the documentary did in my opinion was re-inspire some of the older player to give it another shot. Nothing wrong with that. The Smash community has always been really strong.

Coastward

Smash Lord
the documentary also spawned new players and scenes as well though. for instance, some parts of the GTA scene sorta revived after the release of the smash doc. but yeah, smash was really going strong before the doc.

McNasty

Smash Rookie
the documentary also spawned new players and scenes as well though. for instance, some parts of the GTA scene sorta revived after the release of the smash doc. but yeah, smash was really going strong before the doc.
It really helped people believe in themselves I think, inspiring people to try and push their skills to the limit.

SAUS

Smash Ace
The smash brother documentary + other factors is what got me back into seriously playing melee. There are so many new players in my area it is crazy! Smashfests now are easily twice+ the size of the ones I used to attend (back in 2007ish).

Kong

Smash Rookie
The smash brother documentary + other factors is what got me back into seriously playing melee. There are so many new players in my area it is crazy! Smashfests now are easily twice+ the size of the ones I used to attend (back in 2007ish).
Yeah also got back into it seeing the documentary!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
he is a slow powerhouse

just very difficult.. you have to outplay and read your opponent, because he will pretty much always be getting out-maneuvered

Kage beat sfat and westballz at apex though so the sky's the limit

no one man could have all that power

Kong

Smash Rookie
I for one have only found out and got interested in even playing melee through the documentary. Gannon main 2014. Look for it.
Sweet, dude! Keep working hard and you'll be the best Ganon in the scene!

Coastward

Smash Lord
yeah ganon has a LOT of potential, you just need to work REALLY hard. and don't let anyone discourage you about playing him, because people will. people have been telling me DK and ness are better then ganon lol.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
One of you got a link to the tier list, I'm curious to see what they rate as the highest character, as I haven't seen it before.
Japanese tier list as of 2008

The Marios were very popular cause chaingrab/throwcombos were uninterrupted on FD.

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
to be fair

japanese doc players were amazing. (captain jack, s-royal, kentarosu)

japanese ic players sucked. there was only kei, and he was american LOL

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
japanese ic players sucked. there was only kei, and he was american LOL
That's what I'm saiyan. Basically Every other character has a japanese player who is really good. Nobody wants to touch the アイスクライマー.
Oh btw hello all, I'm fairly new, only started playing seriously 6 weeks ago, been lurking for longer.

WHA?

Smash Ace
Tried searching for a thread where we could sell/trade controllers and parts with ppl. Is there one? would such activity of selling and trading be allowed?

I mainly want this because I've got some controllers that are more suited for floaty players since they are stiffer. I prefer my controllers a little looser. I've also got controller shells to trade/sell, in case anyone wants to use or to practice painting on.

If I can start a thread like that, we could post descriptions of the controllers, as well as what specifics you are looking in a controller.

I know there is ebay and amazon, but i would like to be able to talk to the smashers about controllers. And if trust is an issue, we could link (through private message) to an ebay/amazon posting we create for the specific item, and do the transaction through ebay/amazon.

Top Bottom