• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Shield Drop Tutorial

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Can't get a hang of that pesky Shield Drop in Super Smash Brothers Melee? It isn't entirely technical, but is super precise and is a technique that developed much later than most. Kira with SSBMtutorials has put together a short 2 minute video that runs down the technique and gives a tip to make the process much easier. Check it out!

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Kept on replaying the video...
Because of that cute Pichu voice in the beginning ^_^ :172:

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
Whether this is the best method is debatable, especially since it relies so heavily on the manufacturing of the controller with those notches.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Or you can do what I do to shield drop and lower the control stick to the proper angle. Honestly, I can just push all the way down on my control stick at a set speed and I shield drop that way. No need for Shield DI or any other stuff like that. Practice makes perfect

ZetaWolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JackRegisteel
Time to sit down and figure this out. Glad I have the Wii U controller.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Posted my Smashboards? That's odd because the Smashboards account hasn't been online since last year.

SmashBoards Activity.png

I believe we have either an impostor or admins can change their last seen date.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I really need to sit down and learn this skill. Learning is one thing but applying it is so different... Same thing with the shine-grab. I can do it consistently in training mode, when it comes time to use it in a real match... nope.

Practice makes perfect I guess, and melee demands perfection!

The amusing thing is that there is a post by someone who claims to debuff the controller idea making anything easier or harder.

Kadano’s perfect Marth class—advanced frame data application

Its far from conclusive over all controllers, but the point is that I think no one has sufficiently proven a controller makes a difference other than the perception that it does so rather than hard facts.

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
As informative as this is, I still personally think putting shield drop on special in shield for PM would be best. Even with this easier version it's honestly a kinda arbitrary to move the stick down and in a direction to fall through a platform

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Define "overused" were they getting punished for it?
They did use it a lot and it really depends on the player, match up, and stage for how well punishing shield drops goes. The top players use it in Melee and Smash 4 all the time too.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Define "overused" were they getting punished for it?
No the players controlling the characters did not get punished towards Shield Dropping with an attack (especially Meta-knight) Brawl isn't that "slow" where "anything can be punished and reacted upon". Do you still need the reference definition of the compound word "overused," or not? Thanks.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No the players controlling the characters did not get punished towards Shield Dropping with an attack (especially Meta-knight) Brawl isn't that "slow" where "anything can be punished and reacted upon". Do you still need the reference definition of the compound word "overused," or not? Thanks.
I dunno. Can't be overusing something if you're not being punished for it. That's the way I look at fighting games anyway. If it keeps working, don't stop doing it ;)

I never played Brawl more than once or twice, so I know nothing about the game aside from that I hate how slow and boring it is compared to smash 64 or melee.

Did not know shield dropping was in Brawl. It wasn't being used that much in competitive melee when Brawl came out so that's why. If the developers saw that it was being used as an advantage it would have been removed to make the game fun and fair for everyone... (lol)

Is shield dropping in smash 4? I haven't played smash 4 yet so I'm curious to know.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
You can shield drop in all smash games.

And for the record, top smash 4 players dont shield drop "all the time", I rarely ever see anyone do it. Most of what I see them do on the platforms is drop shield and buffer platform drop which isnt the same and is way easier.

But this is a Melee tutorial, we dont need to be talking about this ish.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I dunno. Can't be overusing something if you're not being punished for it. That's the way I look at fighting games anyway. If it keeps working, don't stop doing it ;)

I never played Brawl more than once or twice, so I know nothing about the game aside from that I hate how slow and boring it is compared to smash 64 or melee.

Did not know shield dropping was in Brawl. It wasn't being used that much in competitive melee when Brawl came out so that's why. If the developers saw that it was being used as an advantage it would have been removed to make the game fun and fair for everyone... (lol)

Is shield dropping in smash 4? I haven't played smash 4 yet so I'm curious to know.
I can personalty write that I Shield Drop pretty much all the time. Smash-4? I don't know nor do I care. I'm assuming the game does, hopefully the game allows some tricks to be displayed in that game (patches and 'fairness"). I honestly do not ever get punished (players don't have a TAS reaction to know how to Sdi in and punish).

But here's some useless information? Melee is the same, how? If a player has TAS reactions (as in Sdi-ing in the position of the player then the player with TAS reaction then quickly throwing out an attack of their own; then the player that Shield Dropped with an attack can indeed become punished. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom