• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
So.... we don't get the option of keeping our English-quote Fox?
You can make the edits yourself if you wanna. It's not too hard. Only a few events in each characters .pac file need to be changed.

Until I feel like going back and doing it myself tho, ur stuck with that. Maybe once I do the alt voices again I'll go back to them. Who knows...?

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
You can make the edits yourself if you wanna. It's not too hard. Only a few events in each characters .pac file need to be changed.
Ugh, it would just be another modding thing to learn manually. I'll just bear with it, I guess...

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Ugh, it would just be another modding thing to learn manually.
How do you think people learned in the first place? lmfao

You're not gonna get anything you want simply by relying on others to get them for you. It's an awfully simple thing to fix, so instead of "bearing with it" you could always, at the very least, try.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Ugh, it would just be another modding thing to learn manually. I'll just bear with it, I guess...

You're not gonna get anything you want simply by relying on others to get them for you. It's an awfully simple thing to fix, so instead of "bearing with it" you could always, at the very least, try.
^ Wut he sed... Also HypnotizeOverdrive HypnotizeOverdrive is that a silhouette of Charlie/Nash??

Taltharius

Smash Cadet

Project M isn't the only game I play, you know. I have to juggle gameplay know-how with a number of other games. And I've only made time to learn basic modding for a handful of them, and even then, I lack the patience for anything deeper than things like INI file edits.

It's a drawback of wanting to sample more than one or two games: I get to play many things, but I master none of them.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Project M isn't the only game I play, you know. I have to juggle gameplay know-how with a number of other games. And I've only made time to learn basic modding for a handful of them, and even then, I lack the patience for anything deeper than things like INI file edits.

It's a drawback of wanting to sample more than one or two games: I get to play many things, but I master none of them.
Dude I play so many games, and that number's just gonna go up as the year passes. Tekken 7 AND new Marvel this year which is lookin goooooooooooooooood Watch this gameplay footage of it if you haven't seen it yet.

This is also partially why it's been taking me so long to update this stuff lol

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
Dude I play so many games, and that number's just gonna go up as the year passes. Tekken 7 AND new Marvel this year which is lookin goooooooooooooooood Watch this gameplay footage of it if you haven't seen it yet.

This is also partially why it's been taking me so long to update this stuff lol
My point exactly. And I'm not really that good at navigating blocks of code anyhow. It tends to fly over my head, :|

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
My point exactly. And I'm not really that good at navigating blocks of code anyhow. It tends to fly over my head, :|
Editing the .pac files isn't really 'coding' intensive. Or doesn't have to be anyway. If it were, I sure as heyl wouldn't be able to do it...

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
One person's 'easy' is another person's 'difficult'.
I can promise you 'difficult' in the area of PSA editing, specifically just changing sound effects, is very easy. If I can actually teach myself how to do all the things that I've learned, anybody can. And there are tutorials if that make learning all this stuff even easier.

Taltharius

Smash Cadet
I can promise you 'difficult' in the area of PSA editing, specifically just changing sound effects, is very easy. If I can actually teach myself how to do all the things that I've learned, anybody can. And there are tutorials if that make learning all this stuff even easier.
Perhaps. The voice thing was just minor anyhow.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I got this pic set because I love Shadow in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (of course I just love Charlie in general but you know).
Yes... lol. I hope he, or Nash, is in the new Marvel game. And is broken as compensation for how badly he got nerfed in SFV. (Capcom plz)

And for some thread related conversation...uuuuuh Donkey Kong is basically already updated for 3.6 right? I kinda wanna find some Easter Egg stuff for him ('professional' Easter Egg stuff) Does anybody know if these things exist. Kinda wanna do it cause his sawnd file is so effing small now.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Alt Link is did! (I bet you all thought it would be like another year before I did something, didn't you?)

I even include a link here for your convenience.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Wait I'm confused
what's MeleeAlt vs PMAlt?
Oh yeah I probably should've mentioned something about that. The "MeleeAlt" has the code set so that it works with a 5-Brawl/5-Melee build (what I'm currently using). I made that one first for that <-- reason in parentheses. I then went back and edited the file to work with default PMs Brawl/Melee Link colors: 6-Brawl/4-Melee.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I probably should've mentioned something about that. The "MeleeAlt" has the code set so that it works with a 5-Brawl/5-Melee build (what I'm currently using). I made that one first for that <-- reason in parentheses. I then went back and edited the file to work with default PMs Brawl/Melee Link colors: 6-Brawl/4-Melee.
Oh ok interesting.
I was going through it and editing the if statements myself for my own costume setup, and I saw that one of the sound effect functions (for EscapeAir) was set for costumes >=6 instead of >=7. Every other one is >=7 so I assume this is an error right?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Oh ok interesting.
I was going through it and editing the if statements myself for my own costume setup, and I saw that one of the sound effect functions (for EscapeAir) was set for costumes >=6 instead of >=7. Every other one is >=7 so I assume this is an error right?
Oops... lol

Edit: I fixed it.

EditEdit: Oh and I will be updating all Alt SFX mods to work with my own 20-costume build when that code is finally released... *if* it's possible. Considering the code will load additional costumes from a different directory altogether, it could break that function... or something. Iunno...

Last edited:

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
Oops... lol

Edit: I fixed it.

EditEdit: Oh and I will be updating all Alt SFX mods to work with my own 20-costume build when that code is finally released... *if* it's possible. Considering the code will load additional costumes from a different directory altogether, it could break that function... or something. Iunno...
Guess it depends on whether or not the game registers costumes 10+ the same way, but the other costume directories are only for the cosmetics I think so as long as the moveset code recognizes Link15 or whatever it should be fine. I know with 14 costumes the code works the same.

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way I could get the Melee Link sound effects to play for every costume ≥4, but with #5 being left out?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Is there a way I could get the Melee Link sound effects to play for every costume ≥4, but with #5 being left out?
I'm slightly confused by this thing... Did you mean <=4? And also by that did you mean you want it to play for 0 thru 4, skip 5 then play for 6 thru 9?

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I worded that terribly didn't I haha

I'd want the Melee sound effects to play from FitLink04 through FitLink09, but I don't want the Melee effects for FitLink05

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Sorry, I worded that terribly didn't I haha

I'd want the Melee sound effects to play from FitLink04 through FitLink09, but I don't want the Melee effects for FitLink05
Ah ez (I think?) If it works the way I think it does, then just do this thing:
Use 2 "If" comparisons for the LA 54-bit thing. First one is the normal one that for you will check if costume number is >= to 4, and then add the "if" comparison to make sure LA 54 thing does not = 5. It'll look like this in PSA:

If Compare: LA-Basic[54] >= 4
If Compare: LA-Basic[54] != 5
Sound Effect: ####
Else:
Sound Effect: ####
End If
End If

My logic (I'm not the most logical person) tells me that'll work. If it doesn't... uuuuuuh... Iunno lol, try messing around with it.

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
Well I just tried that and... it only sort of works.

06 works flawlessly as far as I can tell.

05, the ones without Melee sfx, works almost perfectly. He still has Melee Link's initial jump sound for some reason.

And 04 doesn't work. Almost none of his moves use Melee Link's sound effects.

This is what my PSA looks like. I also made sure to change every Sub Action with "If Compare: LA-Basic[54]" to include the >= 4, the second If Compare with != 5, and the second End If after the first one. I also double checked all the event lists to make sure I didn't miss any.

I was testing on a Dolphin setup too, if that makes a difference (I don't think it should though)

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

05, the ones without Melee sfx, works almost perfectly. He still has Melee Link's initial jump sound for some reason.

This is what my PSA looks like. I also made sure to change every Sub Action with "If Compare: LA-Basic[54]" to include the >= 4, the second If Compare with != 5, and the second End If after the first one. I also double checked all the event lists to make sure I didn't miss any.

I was testing on a Dolphin setup too, if that makes a difference (I don't think it should though)
Uuuuuh I guess try changing the 4 to 3?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

Oh yeah I think I found out how to make this thing a thingy thing if you're still having trouble with it. Once I get back from Smashing and Splashing. I'll check some things and let thou know...

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah I think I found out how to make this thing a thingy thing if you're still having trouble with it. Once I get back from Smashing and Splashing. I'll check some things and let thou know...
Yeah that'd be great if you can find the time. Thanks!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Yeah that'd be great if you can find the time. Thanks!
Oh snap. I definitely forgot all about doing this thing! lol... I need to remember what I had in my mind. I wish I'd been at home when I thought of it... I'll let you know once I figure it out. (Feel free to remind me if I forget... again... lol)

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
all the lighting sound fx are pretty whack for me also roy has no voice lines. do you know which file is the lightning sfx so i can replace it with the default one?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
all the lighting sound fx are pretty whack for me also roy has no voice lines. do you know which file is the lightning sfx so i can replace it with the default one?
You did something wrong my guy.

Will this work with legacyxp?
Uuuh, as long as Legacy XP doesn't have altered FitDood.pac files for the vPM fighters, I don't see why not.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Maaaan it's been a HOT minute since I've done anything. I only have like 3 more weeks of OT (I hope (plz lort)). After that I'll have motivation to continue things (Sorry Bowser got dunked on).

Thanks to @KingJigglypuff though, I now have this! It's gonna fix the annoying popping sounds that caused me so much anguish! This probably means I'm gonna redo all the .sawnd files (yet a-frickin-gain) so that they're more organized. But what this ALSO means is that the glitch that made the lingering electric hit sfx so EFFING loud no matter how much I lowered the volume is FINALLY going to be fixed as well...

Praise the Sun!

Edit: Oh also thinking about trying some jank things with PMEX to get alt voices to actually (sort of?) fully work... with the press of a shield button.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So I'm running into an issue wherein Fox shine and Falco laser/shine make a really prolonged zapping noise on hit. I'm literally only trying to get Link to work, and he does, but using the 7(?).sawnd makes this occur, and adding in the Fox/Falco pac/sawnd files doesn't solve the problem. Any idea what I can do to make it work? Otherwise I'll just have to abandon the idea for now as much as I don't want to.

Edit: nevermind I started reading the thread in reverse figuring I can't be the only one with this problem and I found your updated download link. The one I got was from the OP, so maybe update that or something. Thanks for the mod btw I like it a lot. I've been waiting a long time for the alt voice **** to be updated from 3.5. I'm very appreciative to have it now.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
So I'm running into an issue wherein Fox shine and Falco laser/shine make a really prolonged zapping noise on hit. I'm literally only trying to get Link to work, and he does, but using the 7(?).sawnd makes this occur, and adding in the Fox/Falco pac/sawnd files doesn't solve the problem. Any idea what I can do to make it work? Otherwise I'll just have to abandon the idea for now as much as I don't want to.

Edit: nevermind I started reading the thread in reverse figuring I can't be the only one with this problem and I found your updated download link. The one I got was from the OP, so maybe update that or something. Thanks for the mod btw I like it a lot. I've been waiting a long time for the alt voice **** to be updated from 3.5. I'm very appreciative to have it now.
Noice! Yeah that was supposed to be the lingering electric effect from Melee but it was messed up. I can fix it now, but haven't gotten around to it... like a lot of things lol

Kusen

Smash Rookie
Amazerommu
Dude, can you please make the melee full pack to work with Project + (project plus)?
Is a new brawl mod that came and its very good and has a few moves that have been changed
Some moves have effects, and things like that
But for me, not to have all the melee sfx and voices is a terrible deal breaker

In case you can't, please make a video tutorial teaching how to do it ourselves

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Amazerommu
Dude, can you please make the melee full pack to work with Project + (project plus)?
Is a new brawl mod that came and its very good and has a few moves that have been changed
Some moves have effects, and things like that
But for me, not to have all the melee sfx and voices is a terrible deal breaker

In case you can't, please make a video tutorial teaching how to do it ourselves
I'd planned to. I'm trying to figure out how to mod all the other things as well. Additional stages and songs n such so I can sort of re-import my own 3.6 build onto P+.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Good thing I hadn't started updating yet lol. Once I finish the main things for my own build, will actually start on the SFX files.

Top Bottom