• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I should probably point out that the logo in the OP directs you to Link's SFX and not the General SFX.

Edit: Also, what are all the extra FitDood.pac files in the General SFX folder for?
LOL! Like... How am I so dumb?

And all the FitDoodz are required if you want everyone to have the Melee whooshy heavy hit sounds that played in Melee whenever you were at high percentages.

Edit: Also fixed nao.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Thanks, @ Amazerommu Amazerommu !, really digging it so far, i haven't tested everything comfortably because my GC controllers aren't here atm, so i'm trying what i can do with the WiiChucks, there's just the Smash 3 bomb to drop soon
so i might have installed something wrong because i did it all "surgically", but i'll point these out:

• Melee-only ganon's Ftilt always yells his unused clip you set to also play during the sideb catch animation, only issue with him
  • The MagicHeavy sound is not what it should be (again), for example: Ganon's Dair or Marth's tippers don't feel the same without the actual clip they play in Melee (the "Fwhaaaam"-like sound)
  • I think the grabs are still playing the Melee ledgegrab soundclip, correct me if i'm wrong, but i'll re-test with my headphones later to confirm :p
  • Some characters (not included in the release) play the launch wooshes faintly during some of their throw animations
  • Dr./Mario is perfect, but Doc's UpB doesn't have the "bump-bump-bump-SMACK" sequence on-hit, which i was expecting to be in honestly lol
  • The "select" or "the typical scrolling through options or the character's faces in the CSS with your player token" sound has a little popping issue when it ends [they keep coming... amazerommu]
  • Roy's tippers (AKA the sourspot) don't play the "PunchMild/Heavy" (the WHACK) sound like in Melee, only issue with him that i found, unless i used a wrong file
  • YOU DID IT! Falcon now plays the KickHeavy sound when he catches you with UpB, nice, i wondered why it wasn't in previous versions
  • Maybe i didn't notice it, but the fizzing that plays when you hit with heavy Fire and Electric attacks isn't playing or i just haven't realized that it's not actually included
THE LAUNCH WOOSHES ARE SO SATISFACTORY TO PLAY WITH, SPIKING WITH SNAKE'S FAIR SWEETSPOT OMGGG!!1ONe

i'll keep testing to let the feedback come in constantly, but i don't want to do it with the WiiChucks

another thing is that i honestly was thinking that Samus, Yoshi, and maybe Jiggs would come in the update, to tell the truth i'd like to help with the sound design for the non-melee chars :D

I should probably point out that the logo in the OP directs you to Link's SFX and not the General SFX.

Edit: Also, what are all the extra FitDood.pac files in the General SFX folder for?
it LINKED to the BrawlVault LINK to download the LINK pack? yo dawg

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Hmm... I still think Ganon should have some kind of sound for when his foot hits the ground on utilt on whiff. I can probably get over Marth's sheathing sound, despite how weird it sounds to me. Must've just never noticed it.

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Thanks, @ Amazerommu Amazerommu !, really digging it so far, i haven't tested everything comfortably because my GC controllers aren't here atm, so i'm trying what i can do with the WiiChucks, there's just the Smash 3 bomb to drop soon
so i might have installed something wrong because i did it all "surgically", but i'll point these out:

• Melee-only ganon's Ftilt always yells his unused clip you set to also play during the sideb catch animation, only issue with him
  • The MagicHeavy sound is not what it should be (again), for example: Ganon's Dair or Marth's tippers don't feel the same without the actual clip they play in Melee (the "Fwhaaaam"-like sound)
  • I think the grabs are still playing the Melee ledgegrab soundclip, correct me if i'm wrong, but i'll re-test with my headphones later to confirm :p
  • Some characters (not included in the release) play the launch wooshes faintly during some of their throw animations
  • Dr./Mario is perfect, but Doc's UpB doesn't have the "bump-bump-bump-SMACK" sequence on-hit, which i was expecting to be in honestly lol
  • The "select" or "the typical scrolling through options or the character's faces in the CSS with your player token" sound has a little popping issue when it ends [they keep coming... amazerommu]
  • Roy's tippers (AKA the sourspot) don't play the "PunchMild/Heavy" (the WHACK) sound like in Melee, only issue with him that i found, unless i used a wrong file
  • YOU DID IT! Falcon now plays the KickHeavy sound when he catches you with UpB, nice, i wondered why it wasn't in previous versions
  • Maybe i didn't notice it, but the fizzing that plays when you hit with heavy Fire and Electric attacks isn't playing or i just haven't realized that it's not actually included
THE LAUNCH WOOSHES ARE SO SATISFACTORY TO PLAY WITH, SPIKING WITH SNAKE'S FAIR SWEETSPOT OMGGG!!1ONe

i'll keep testing to let the feedback come in constantly, but i don't want to do it with the WiiChucks

another thing is that i honestly was thinking that Samus, Yoshi, and maybe Jiggs would come in the update, to tell the truth i'd like to help with the sound design for the non-melee chars :D

it LINKED to the BrawlVault LINK to download the LINK pack? yo dawg
LOLOL! Glad you like the launch sounds.

The Ganon thingy has been added to my list.

The MagicHeavy sound is actually the same as the fire sounds in Melee which I thought is what they were using in the mods. Either way I'm not 100% sure I can change 'em cause hitsfx be weird and such. I'll definitely try. The relief of finally having these updated means I can take my time and continue to experiment with stuff.

Grabs do still play ledge sounds. Your ears aren't lying to you. I can't find where to change what sound plays for when you get grabbed sadly.

And that sound you hear during throws... is actually a throw sound in Melee. It actually differs slightly from the launch whooshy sounds (listen closely to Marth's up throw or back throw in Melee as an example) However the sounds are kinda outta place. I mean to go through all characters who use it and fix it properly... All meaning Brawl as well. It would've made this update take a LOT longer to come out so I held off haha.

Doc Mario... Whoa... Actually I'm not even sure I'd be able to get those hit sfx to play for Doc Mario's costumes alone IF I can get it to play those hit sfx at all haha.

Haven't noticed the popping on the 'select' sound. I HAVE noticed it on the "back" sound though. Those issues annoy me and are really REALLY frustrating to fix lol.

Roy's hit sfx... basically the same thing. Ignore any hit sfx oddities for now! Haha. I haven't messed with them at all cause somewhat complicated. Fox's Up Air sound being correct now was some stuff done by PMBR coincidentally.

The fire sound is not possible to add because there is no event for it in the characters' .pac files. And I decided to do a bit more testing with the electrical sound cause before when I added it, the shield hit sounds started doing some REALLY ridiculous things lol. (scratchy/buzzy noises) It's gonna require some extra finesse to get to work.

Hmm... I still think Ganon should have some kind of sound for when his foot hits the ground on utilt on whiff. I can probably get over Marth's sheathing sound, despite how weird it sounds to me. Must've just never noticed it.
I do believe this is fixed in Ganon's individual mod. Download it and copy the "FitGanon_Melee.pac" file into his 'fighter' folder and rename it as it should be "FitGanon.pac"

I really don't know how these things I fixed prior to updating.... are not fixed everywhere haha. Too much things! lol

Juken

Smash Ace
Could you tell me where you got the Bowser inside story lines and which one is for when he spawns in? I want to make it so that when Bowser spawns he says "show time" instead of a generic grunt, and then make it so that his side-taunt says "I rule!" instead of "show time."

Nevergreen

This Subreddit Sucks
NNID
Nevergreen
3DS FC
0817-3854-3643
I guess it isn't possible for Mewtwo to have separate Teleport and Airdodge sfx, huh?

It's a little odd hearing the Teleport sfx during ledge-dashes and wavelands

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Could you tell me where you got the Bowser inside story lines and which one is for when he spawns in? I want to make it so that when Bowser spawns he says "show time" instead of a generic grunt, and then make it so that his side-taunt says "I rule!" instead of "show time."
@Shun_one is the one who made the voice mod initially. No idea where he got the voice clips from. He may actually have ripped them himself? Also it should say "Showtime" when Showtime Bowser enters a match. Did you make sure to replace Bowser's .pac file with the Showtime .pac?

Feel free to add "I rule" to his side taunt if you can find the clips for it heheh.

I guess it isn't possible for Mewtwo to have separate Teleport and Airdodge sfx, huh?

It's a little odd hearing the Teleport sfx during ledge-dashes and wavelands
They use the same sound in Melee lol. And since his spot dodge is basically the same animation as his air dodge is... I felt it necessary for him to have that sound. Also there is a 1-frame delay on the sound for his spot-dodge. Meaning! You'll only hear it if you don't do a perfect wavedash/waveland haha. See here in his vid. Note: My wavedashing needs work...

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm about done with my GC-esque Wario voice thing that might be of use to this project.

Opted against N64 clips since as it turns out there's not a lot of consistent ones (go figure) so I decided to do one entirely based on early GC era Wario, meaning Wario World.

I think the only thing I'll end up missing is the sleeping sounds, but hey, if you want it when it's done to throw in as an extra, I'd be more than happy to! Just gotta finish DownTaunt and the long laugh winpose + Star KO and a grunt, and it's pretty much done.

Nevergreen

This Subreddit Sucks
NNID
Nevergreen
3DS FC
0817-3854-3643
They use the same sound in Melee lol. And since his spot dodge is basically the same animation as his air dodge is... I felt it necessary for him to have that sound. Also there is a 1-frame delay on the sound for his spot-dodge. Meaning! You'll only hear it if you don't do a perfect wavedash/waveland haha. See here in his vid. Note: My wavedashing needs work...
Um... the Melee airdodge sfx is a noticeably lower pitch than Teleport sfx. Might be technically the same sound effect, but it's definitely pitched down significantly

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Um... the Melee airdodge sfx is a noticeably lower pitch than Teleport sfx. Might be technically the same sound effect, but it's definitely pitched down significantly
Oh crap you're right! I knew the DJ was a higher pitched version of the sound but I forgot the air dodge was lower pitched than the teleport. Also I do remember now that it wasn't added because... Wait... I actually might be able to fix this AND free up an extra sound slot in his .sawnd file... This is going to be added to the to-do to possibly be done in a future update. Thank you for making me think of things. Lol

Juken

Smash Ace
What part of the FitDood.pac files do I need to import into another .pac to ge tthe "fwoosh" sound when someone goes flying? I'm trying to add it to another Bowser showtime sfx mod that's more "lively" than the one in the OP (no offense), and I want to add the sound to the fire Luigi mod and Mario Kart Donkey/Diddy Kong voice mod I've got. I figure just exporting the data to make them use that sound when hit is a lot less time consuming than replacing sounds to fit within the specific FitDood.pac for that sound.

Also, this is the Showtime Bowser I've been referring to if you don't know what I mean. It was this one that I wanted to change to say "show time" when he spawns.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=203414
I guess it was causing confusion because there were two different inside story Bowser SFX mods.

Last edited:

evilness9999

Smash Rookie
hello i want to use the sfx mods but i also want to include a stage expansion mod with it, can you let us know what part of the code in the RSBE01.gct is required so that i can fully play with the shield sounds included, please and thank you.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Do
What part of the FitDood.pac files do I need to import into another .pac to ge tthe "fwoosh" sound when someone goes flying? I'm trying to add it to another Bowser showtime sfx mod that's more "lively" than the one in the OP (no offense), and I want to add the sound to the fire Luigi mod and Mario Kart Donkey/Diddy Kong voice mod I've got. I figure just exporting the data to make them use that sound when hit is a lot less time consuming than replacing sounds to fit within the specific FitDood.pac for that sound.

Also, this is the Showtime Bowser I've been referring to if you don't know what I mean. It was this one that I wanted to change to say "show time" when he spawns.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=203414
I guess it was causing confusion because there were two different inside story Bowser SFX mods.
That would be... difficult. The Melee SFX are kinda all over the .pac file. It would probably be easier to edit their Showtime Bowser .pac file with the sfx changes from these mods. Or it could be easier to do that the other way around.
hello i want to use the sfx mods but i also want to include a stage expansion mod with it, can you let us know what part of the code in the RSBE01.gct is required so that i can fully play with the shield sounds included, please and thank you.
I don't even know exactly where the reflect code is stored in the .gct file. I just find the SFX IDsthat vanilla PM uses and change them to point to the Melee sound. Also it would probably just be easier to add the stage expansion code to one of my .gct files.
Oops! Thanks!
You welcome!

Juken

Smash Ace
Well, I'm kind of clueless when it comes to editing .pac files past the model and texture. Got a tutorial for making specific things play certain sounds? Otherwise, I guess I'll just try and edit the sawnd file in super sawnds.

evilness9999

Smash Rookie
I don't even know exactly where the reflect code is stored in the .gct file. I just find the SFX IDsthat vanilla PM uses and change them to point to the Melee sound. Also it would probably just be easier to add the stage expansion code to one of my .gct files.
so is the gct file going to affect the other char sounds if i dont replace it with yours? im willing to lose the meele shield sound as long as i get the stage expansion and the meele chars working since i cant get the code as standalone to mix it together.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Well, I'm kind of clueless when it comes to editing .pac files past the model and texture. Got a tutorial for making specific things play certain sounds? Otherwise, I guess I'll just try and edit the sawnd file in super sawnds.
The easiest way would be to open two instances of PSA. One for each FitDood.pac file and just go through and mirror one the or the other. Either copy the SFX IDs from the Melee Bowser or copy the VFX IDs from the Showtime. It's pretty tedious. You all should really appreciate what I do... LMAO JK!

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Oi, Amazerommu! I have 2 questions to ask. Have you been having problems with Melee Jiggs? and are you going do any voices of Jiggs outside of English? Because Jiggs have so many different voices in the European and the Japanese version of Melee?

ThundeRzReigN

Smash Cadet
Finally an update for this!!! There are several things that are weird though. DK's F-air sound effect doesn't sound right along with his Up-air. Fox's lasers don't sound right either and Falco's phantasm has a grunt at the end of it. Maybe I did something wrong, but everything else is fine.

Juken

Smash Ace
The easiest way would be to open two instances of PSA. One for each FitDood.pac file and just go through and mirror one the or the other. Either copy the SFX IDs from the Melee Bowser or copy the VFX IDs from the Showtime. It's pretty tedious. You all should really appreciate what I do... LMAO JK!
I just got an idea while editing testing the fMelee Bowser SFX.

The "Brelee" Bowser .pac keeps all the sounds from the showtime Bowser working properly, but it has no Melee SFX like his up-b, claws, etc. Do you think you could send me the .wav files with Bowser's Melee SFX so that I can add them into the showtime Boawer .pac to sort of merge them?

I'd download them elsewhere, but it seems as though the main site for melee resources doesn't have Melee sound effects, only voices (or at least I don't see them).

;Juice-And-Eggs;

Smash Rookie
The update is freaking amazing man! Thanks dude!

However, besides Roy's neutral b being super quiet, when Falco does his second jump, the game would trigger the sound effect of when he's dodging along with the appropriate sound effect, which makes it sound really awkward for me. I'm not sure if this was mentioned beforehand but I am just letting you know.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
so is the gct file going to affect the other char sounds if i dont replace it with yours? im willing to lose the meele shield sound as long as i get the stage expansion and the meele chars working since i cant get the code as standalone to mix it together.
No the only thing the GCT file is required for is the shield sound. In previous versions I had .gct files that were compatible with stage expansion. And I do plan on doing that again cause I'm gonna eventually use the stage expansion in my own build

Oi, Amazerommu! I have 2 questions to ask. Have you been having problems with Melee Jiggs? and are you going do any voices of Jiggs outside of English? Because Jiggs have so many different voices in the European and the Japanese version of Melee?
Yeah I can't seem to find where to change when Jiggz' voice clip plays for the Neutral B to make it more like Melee.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
The update is freaking amazing man! Thanks dude!

However, besides Roy's neutral b being super quiet, when Falco does his second jump, the game would trigger the sound effect of when he's dodging along with the appropriate sound effect, which makes it sound really awkward for me. I'm not sure if this was mentioned beforehand but I am just letting you know.
That's thanks to the unorganization of PMs FitDood.pac files. Sound effect calls not being where they're supposed to be. Oooooh well. I'll fix it soon. Also, have you tried downloading Falcos individual mod? I'm sure that issue is already fixed there.

J-Rev96

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4365-4200
Is there any way to edit the combined sound packs (The ones with Brawl and Melee sfx) to add Japanese Brawl voices and keep the Melee sfx? I got too used to the Japanese Spacies.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Is there any way to edit the combined sound packs (The ones with Brawl and Melee sfx) to add Japanese Brawl voices and keep the Melee sfx? I got too used to the Japanese Spacies.
Falco and Fox already have their Japanese voice clips integrated into their sound files. Jigglypuff will probably get a separate .pac file since she has a different Star KO scream and such.

I just got an idea while editing testing the fMelee Bowser SFX.

The "Brelee" Bowser .pac keeps all the sounds from the showtime Bowser working properly, but it has no Melee SFX like his up-b, claws, etc. Do you think you could send me the .wav files with Bowser's Melee SFX so that I can add them into the showtime Boawer .pac to sort of merge them?

I'd download them elsewhere, but it seems as though the main site for melee resources doesn't have Melee sound effects, only voices (or at least I don't see them).
You can actually, if you're in Windows, use a combination of Super Sawndz and BrawlBox to export the sounds into .wav files. And then import the sounds into the Showtime Bowser sfx. OR you could link me to this showtime Bowser and I'll do those things at some point... But who knows when that could be! Lol

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Just put in Shun's Showtime Bowser with Melee sfx, and it's pretty rad. Now to get a more vibrant default color to make him feel more canonical.

Looking forward to the minor fixes to come, but already loving this pack as is. Thanks again Amaze!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Oooooh you wanted Japanese Brawl voices... For the alt spacy costumes?

Just put in Shun's Showtime Bowser with Melee sfx, and it's pretty rad. Now to get a more vibrant default color to make him feel more canonical.

Looking forward to the minor fixes to come, but already loving this pack as is. Thanks again Amaze!
Thank yew! I'll have some fixes up soon. Right now I'm in Michigan at a fun ace Smash tournament.

Obskore

Smash Ace
hey, anyone else using the Brelee Luigi? because when he does his DownB, it's weird seeing him spinning across the stage with no sound at all until the move ends, just throwing that around

J-Rev96

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4365-4200
Oooooh you wanted Japanese Brawl voices... For the alt spacy costumes?
I meant Japanese Brawl voices for Brawl Fox/Falco, with the Melee clips for the Melee alts intact.

Last edited:

Master WGS

Smash Lord
hey, anyone else using the Brelee Luigi? because when he does his DownB, it's weird seeing him spinning across the stage with no sound at all until the move ends, just throwing that around
Was literally coming into this thread to say that.

Also, quick question - what file is the sweet high-percent hit sound located in? Redownloaded just the 7.sawnd for my brother's build since he didn't want any of the character specific stuff, and he says that's not triggering. I figured it'd be in the general sfx, but I guess I'm mistaken?

Last edited:

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Was literally coming into this thread to say that.

Also, quick question - what file is the sweet high-percent hit sound located in? Redownloaded just the 7.sawnd for my brother's build since he didn't want any of the character specific stuff, and he says that's not triggering. I figured it'd be in the general sfx, but I guess I'm mistaken?
You need to copy over the included 'projectm' folder. It has all the edited FitDood.pac files with calls to that sound effect. Cause the slot those sounds use are not even supposed to be usable in the .brsar. But you know... I have the tech skill and such.

I meant Japanese Brawl voices for Brawl Fox/Falco, with the Melee clips for the Melee alts intact.
Yeah I figured that out WAAAY too late after the fact lol

Juken

Smash Ace
Falco and Fox already have their Japanese voice clips integrated into their sound files. Jigglypuff will probably get a separate .pac file since she has a different Star KO scream and such.

You can actually, if you're in Windows, use a combination of Super Sawndz and BrawlBox to export the sounds into .wav files. And then import the sounds into the Showtime Bowser sfx. OR you could link me to this showtime Bowser and I'll do those things at some point... But who knows when that could be! Lol
Well.... do you have a tutorial or anything to that? How do you guys get to learn so much about modding this when there doesn't seem to be much up on the subject?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Well.... do you have a tutorial or anything to that? How do you guys get to learn so much about modding this when there doesn't seem to be much up on the subject?
I did honestly figure out a LOT of the things I know on my own... I'm pretty sure a lot of my tech skill PM doesn't even know when it comes to the sounds haha.

Idk... Now that I think on it... there really actually isn't much in the way of PSA editing tutorials... When I was initially learning to do this stuff I did a crap ton of research. First I had to find the software that lets me edit PSAs... Then I had to figure out how to change the SFX associated with certain attacks... But before I could actually do that... I had to figure out how in the frack you figured out what the SFX IDs were that you wanted to use. Basically... it was a learning experience... But it was worth it to learn all that stuff to be able to produce (almost) 100% accurate Melee sounds. Like when I first made a Link Melee voice pack... his boomerang sound was just.... wroooong. It played his spot dodge voice clip... I absolutely had to figure out how to change it lol. And thus here I am today doing all kindsa craziness with these .pac files...

ANYWAY... Random "How did you get here?" story over... Lemme see about finding you a good source of info for this stuff... I'll edit this later with a link if/when I find some things. I really don't know that there are actual tutorials that aren't completely horrific haha.

FalconAnon

Smash Rookie
I would really love if you put together some kind of tutorial or even just a list of resources that you used to learn. The work you do with SFX is top notch, it would be interesting to see how you do it.

Top Bottom