• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Remastered Textures(Top 8 Complete) 7/29/2017 Source Files updated 2/18/2018 (Pika and Samus)

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

This is the texture side of the Melee Remaster Project. For shaders visit: Link

This will be focused on various textures I will be remastering for Melee. No high resolution upgrades, just the originals remastered by using anything that I can to bring out their full potential with the current era of technology. Some textures in the ui or effects I may replace, as they are either too dated or do not go with the palette being designed.

Right now the focus is character textures, the top 8's first pass is complete. Next up is Pikachu, Samus, Dr. Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, Ganondorf, Mario, YLink, and DK. Anything related to those two will be in the Top 17 complete pack along with the previous completed characters.

Current phase is the first pass where I make the initial edits to all the textures and figure out what can be done and what needs to be redone completely. Effects will be resized if desired and some of their colors changed.

After the first pass, I'll start the second pass which will be mostly refinement, while also making every texture up to the standard of the best remaster or retexture done. Also implement any changes influenced by feedback.

Third pass will be making final edits and textures will most likely stay as they are, by this point all the textures in the game, whether it be ui, characters, stages, hud, effects, etc, will have been gone over, and finalized.

Once the third pass is complete, the stage lighting can be redone. After stage lighting is completed the shader will be finalized.

Stage Lighting may be part of the main remaster thread or have its own depending on the scale of that part of the project. Any codes used, custom movies, etc, that are not part of the texture, shader, or stage will be part of the main thread.

Upcoming:

Select Icon:

Alts:

CSS Panel:

Current

Old:

Alternates(Result screen renders):

Alternates:

Alternates:

V1

V2​
Stocks
Fox

Falco

Marth

Sheik

Jigglypuff

Peach

Captian Falcon

Ice Climbers

I am streaming myself making this remaster from now on, if you want to follow it I will be doing it on my Twitch.
All of my previous streams will be highlighted on twitch, and exported to my Youtube as well.

Youtube Playlist

Marth - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Sheik
Video :Blue - - - - - - - - - - - - - Video (Part 1, 2): Neutral
Video :Red - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Video (Part 1, 2): Red, Green, Blue
Video :Green - - - - - - - - - - - - Video (Part 1, 2, 3, 4): White, Stocks, CSPs, Stocks
Video (Part 1, 2) :Black
Video :White
Video: CSPs and Stocks

Jigglypuff - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Peach
Video: (Part 1, 2, Extra) - - - -Video (Part 1, 2): Neutral (Part 2 is the first time I had a calibrated capture for twitch.)

Download:
Installer:
(WIP)

Netplay Pack (Requires Dolphin Only needs 1.02 Iso (Not as nice tho):
M. Remaster Top 8 Complete Netplay Pack

xDelta patch ;)(Easiest Method Needs 1.02 iso):
M. Remaster: Top 8 Complete (1.02 and 20XX 4.07)

GCR (You don't need a vanilla 1.02 Iso):
M. Remaster: Top 8 Complete (1.02 and 20XX 4.07)

Old xDelta:
Both 20XX and v1.02 included (Marth and Sheik Complete)

Old GCR:

Melee Remaster Textures(Marth and Sheik Complete)
Melee Remaster Textures(Falco Complete)
Melee Remaster Textures(Fox Complete)

Source Files:
2/18/18 Samus and Pika Complete
7/29/17 Top 8 Complete
7/5/17 Pre Top 8 (Captain Falcon Done)
Source FIles(Pre Top 8 Complete)
Source Files(Marth and Sheik Complete)

Installation:

xdelta Method:
  1. Extract the patch folder.
  2. Move the 20xx4.05 or v1.02 iso (for whichever patch you downloaded for), over the bat file.
  3. Check your hash to make sure its the same build as the one I created.
  4. Done. You have to love xdelta.
GCR Method:
  1. Open a vanilla copy of ssbm 1.2 or 20xx 4.05 using GCR.
  2. Extract the root using gcr to a location.
  3. Close the iso.
  4. Open the root folder in your file explorer.
  5. Copy all the dat and usd files within the MRT(Falco Complete) root folder for 20xx or regular ssbm into the root folder you extracted from the iso.
  6. Open the root folder using GCR.
  7. Save it as an ISO with any name of your choosing.
  8. Rebuild the the root folder using the rebuild option.
  9. Congrats, you now have remastered textures for melee.
By default, the alternate csps for the characters are prepacked in the dats and usds. If you want the regular CSPs you will have to manually import them using the DAT Texture Wizard.

You are free to use the textures above anyway you like, I'll be keeping the download updated with all my source files which include png exports, psds of all my layers and edits, and any dats and usds I messed with.

Feedback and help is welcome!

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of also adding csps and Icons for Sheik since Zelda is almost never used anyway, and making her instead the one you would have to transform to. I'll defintely work on those too.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Released Melee Remaster Textures (Falco Complete):
  • Falco's Skins have all been remastered
  • Falco's original CSPs have been color corrected. Alternate CSPs are used within the Melee Remaster Textures(Falco Complete) download. If you want the originals you would need to install them manually and download the source files provided in the download area of the OP.
  • Falco's stock icons have been color corrected.(Only works with SSBM 1.02, not 20xx 4.05).
  • Common effects, and those for Falco and Fox have been initially tweaked.
  • Shield V2 Texture released and is prepackaged with the download. If you would rather have V1 or the default you would need to manually install them.
  • There are now two separate downloads that I will be providing following this release, one titled by what the thread is called, and another termed source files. The latter being all the raw files I still have of the project as of the latest update, and the other being a prepacked file that contains all the nessesary files needed to copy and replace the root files of either a ssbm 1.02 iso or a 20xx 4.05 iso.
I also updated the Melee Remaster Shader to go along with this update: Link

I'll be working on Marth and Sheik next and try to have them out by the beginning of May.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I had some time today so I decided to stream myself remastering Marth's Neutral Skin on Twitch.
Video :Blue
Video :Red
Video :Green
Video (Part 1, 2) :Black
Video :White

I thought it might be helpful to some people who would want to do something similar.

Here is a before and after shot, no shaders.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Looking good!

Btw, if you run into any textures that are noticeably low resolution and it would make a big difference if they were higher res, it is possible to increase their dimensions. Texture type can also be changed for higher/lower quality. Of course, these usually make the file bigger, unless you reduce space somewhere else to compensate. Keeping the files the same sizes as you're doing avoids longer import times (waiting for rebuilding), which is nice.

Just some options to keep in mind while you're doing this, in case you find any textures that are particularly bad.

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey absolutely love this! I've got a quick question though, if I wanted to take a few pieces from your CSS (let's say all the character portraits for instance) and implement it into my own CSS, how difficult is it to make those changes? I just got into texture hacking so I really have no idea what I'm doing.

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey absolutely love this! I've got a quick question though, if I wanted to take a few pieces from your CSS (let's say all the character portraits for instance) and implement it into my own CSS, how difficult is it to make those changes? I just got into texture hacking so I really have no idea what I'm doing.
It's pretty easy. You just open the file that has the textures (MnSlChr in the case of the CSS) in DAT Texture Wizard, then select and export (option in the right-click context menu or main window menu) the textures you want.

There are a few methods to bulk import textures into the destination file as well, so you don't have to do them individually. You can read the ReadMe that comes with the program for more info.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Released Melee Remaster Textures: Marth and Sheik Complete:
  • Fixed Falco's Alt CSP Renders(I had used the one's captured with a shader).
  • Marth and Sheiks skins have been remastered.
  • Marth's and Sheik's Stocks have been color corrected.
  • Marth's CSPs have been color corrected.
  • Sheik now has CSPs for the CSS, they are used over Zelda as default.
  • Sheik now has her own select Icon, they are used over Zelda as default.
  • Added code that makes it so Sheik is the default in the CSS for selection(From the Melee Code Manager) only for vanilla v1.02 not 20xx.
  • Added an xdelta patch as a download option for ease of installation.
If you do not like the alt CSPs, or the fact that Zelda is currently removed from the CSS you can import the textures your own way using the source files in the OP. Everything you'll need will be in there along with some extra goodies.

If you need help with anything or just have questions don't be afraid to ask. Feedback always welcome. P.S. Thanks DRGN for the xdelta script, patching is so easy now.

Download: Melee Remaster MSC Patch

Don't forget about the shader too! Get it here: Link

Last edited:

YanPerez97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-8240-0200
Switch FC
6728-0518-5684
Released Melee Remaster Textures: Marth and Sheik Complete:
  • Fixed Falco's Alt CSP Renders(I had used the one's captured with a shader).
  • Marth and Sheiks skins have been remastered.
  • Marth's and Sheik's Stocks have been color corrected.
  • Marth's CSPs have been color corrected.
  • Sheik now has CSPs for the CSS, they are used over Zelda as default.
  • Sheik now has her own select Icon, they are used over Zelda as default.
  • Added code that makes it so Sheik is the default in the CSS for selection(From the Melee Code Manager) only for vanilla v1.02 not 20xx.
  • Added an xdelta patch as a download option for ease of installation.
If you do not like the alt CSPs, or the fact that Zelda is currently removed from the CSS you can import the textures your own way using the source files in the OP. Everything you'll need will be in there along with some extra goodies.

If you need help with anything or just have questions don't be afraid to ask. Feedback always welcome. P.S. Thanks DRGN for the xdelta script, patching is so easy now.

Download: Melee Remaster MSC Patch

Don't forget about the shader too! Get it here: Link
great
waiting what will be their next remastering in twitch :)
(I'm sorry, I speak spanish - *Google translate* )

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I will be no lifing the next four characters as soon as I get my motherboard replacement and isp switched, will be steaming on twitch.

Long story short homeowners assoc changed isps in contract for comcast at 10mbs up 75mbs down. Idiots could have gone with hot wire and got gb speeds.

Motherboard also got fried so I'm waiting on replacement haven't been able to work on em since late may.

Last edited:

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
I will be no lifing the next four characters as soon as I get my motherboard replacement and isp switched, will be steaming on twitch.

Long story short homeowners assoc changed isps in contract for comcast at 10mbs up 75mbs down. Idiots could have gone with hot wire and got gb speeds.

Motherboard also got fried so I'm waiting on replacement haven't been able to work on em since late may.
That stinks! :( The last couple weeks I've been reading guides and messing around with my UEFI options in order to remove as much input lag on my mouse as I could. For a while I was afraid I messed something up on the motherboard because it was making weird noises and shutting down, but thankfully I fixed it. Bad stuff can happen if you try messing around in the Overclocking section of your UEFI options, I would highly recommend staying AWAY from it unless you thoroughly know what you're doing.

Hopefully you get this all sorted out and can move on with this project.

I see that FasterMelee is doing some MeleeHD sort of thing, but I'm not sure where they're getting the files from(haven't taken the time to read up on their discord yet).

Going 1 by 1 with each file individually takes some hard work on your part, and I wish I could help, however I do not have the knowledge/patience to do so.

The progress so far is nice(I especially like the transparency of the shield), and I wish you luck for the furthering of this project.

:):)

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I have my motherboard. Did got all my bios settings put back, updated software on win 7, catching up on figure studies, lynda lessons, prog. Still waiting on comcast isp switch :urg:. If they don't come by the 15th I'll just do peach extremely early in the morning before work. That way I'll have enough bandwidth to use twitch.

:( So still no real progress on texture project yet. But when I do come back I'll be more efficient at it/ know my way around photoshop more so it shouldn't be to long for me to pick up the pace.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Its been a while since I posted any updates on it this so...

I have a new ISP with a massive upgrade to my internet, and my computer is back better than ever.

Here are some screenshots of current progress:
Before and After's
Jigglypuff:

Peach:

P.S. How do you guys feel about me adding high resolution stocks later in this style:

Last edited:

Agent7300

Smash Cadet
Its been a while since I posted any updates on it this so...

I have a new ISP with a massive upgrade to my internet, and my computer is back better than ever.

Here are some screenshots of current progress:
Before and After's
Jigglypuff:

Peach:

P.S. How do you guys feel about me adding high resolution stocks later in this style:
hoooooh my god

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I'm alive... barely...:urg:. I've had a really bad year so I'm counting the days till its over.

I've been working on many things at once, and trying to get my life together, so its hard to work on this.

Here is a deserved progress update:
I Remastered the textures of Dreamland, Battlefield, Final Destination and Yoshi Story so far. Peach and Jiggs are done, need to do Falcon and Icies before I release the next iteration: MRemaster Top 8 Complete.

Here are some shots:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Well here is an update on the progress...

Peach and Jiggs are done, and all the legal stages have been remastered.

I still need to do Falcon and Ice Climbers before next real release, this is taking me to long however so I'm going to at least release an update to the source files so that you guys have access to what whats been done so far. It should be easy to update your iso's using Dat Texture Wizard, just open it up and replace peach jiggs and the stage dats with the ones in my source folder. They all have the modified textures for those mentioned above.

Melee Remaster Source Files (Pre Top 8 Complete)

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
Well here is an update on the progress...

Peach and Jiggs are done, and all the legal stages have been remastered.

I still need to do Falcon and Ice Climbers before next real release, this is taking me to long however so I'm going to at least release an update to the source files so that you guys have access to what whats been done so far. It should be easy to update your iso's using Dat Texture Wizard, just open it up and replace peach jiggs and the stage dats with the ones in my source folder. They all have the modified textures for those mentioned above.

Melee Remaster Source Files (Pre Top 8 Complete)
Yay, thank you. Installing it now. :D

Btw, for the High Quality Stock icons, this might be helpful:
https://github.com/schmooblidon/meleelight/wiki/Converting-character-animations

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

Just want to post that this ain't dead, its summer so I have lots of time now. Plan to get falcon done this week.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
I would like this project better if all the textures remained faithful to melee. I'm specifically talking about foxes gloves, and sheiks taping and her skin color differences between cosumes. The different colored eyes are kinda cool cuz they're not as noticeable. I have no complaints about that falcon tho!

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

Are you referring to simpsons sheik? Yeah there is a reason I changed it from the others. I could not even use the the original textures for this skin beyond the chest. They were so terrible in quality I had to use other skins and completely touched up and change their color. Most work I've done for one skin so far.

As for fox's gloves I can def make a alternate png's for is gloves to make em back to grey.

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
I never noticed how bad the original one was until today lol. Your's is definitely an improvement. The sheiks mummy wrap is bugging me tho, how they're white for all costumes. But changing them just for one's complaint doesn't seem worth it. I can just go into the psd's and change em myself. Hopefully the wrap is on they're own layer.

BerrySmoothie

Smash Rookie
I have imported the stocks with dat texture wizard and it says that they are replaced and it shows. But it haven't changed in game

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

Released!

Its been a bit over a year since the last major update to this, and here is what I consider to be the first real iteration of this texture pack.

Check out the OP for downloads!

As always if you do not like how I prepackaged the files, you can always get the source files and change it up however you want.

The netplay pack is really new and may still have some glitches in it, other than the door being kind of screwy since it does not have the proper alignment fix on it, most things should be fine. If you see anything weird let me know.

Change Log:
  • Battlefield's textures have been remastered
  • Dreamlands textures have been remastered
  • Final Destination's textures have been remastered
  • Fountain of Dream's textures have been remastered
  • Pokemon Stadium's and its transformations textures have been remastered
  • Yoshi Story's textures have been remastered
  • Peach's textures for all her skins have been remastered along with her CSPs and stocks.
  • Jigglypuff's textures for all skins have been remastered along with CSPs and stocks.
  • Captain Falcon's textures for all skins have been remastered along with CSPs and stocks.
  • Ice Climber's textures for all skins have been remastered along with CSPs and stocks.
  • New CSP Door textures to replace old one, they vary depending on if you are using netplay pack, regular remaster iso, or the 20XX ISO.
  • Version of this texture pack is now indicated above the back button in the CSS.
  • Bonus: Dr. Mario's Black Skin has been remastered early.
P.S. If you want the source image for the banner here.

Edit: Red Falcon was not overwritten in the 20XX4.07 packaging fixed and reuploaded.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Curious to see what people think of these shields:
I'm going to be making the default the last one since not many people liked the fact that the default shield was changed. I do want to have a good alt though so I'll be having those available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom