• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Remaster Shader (v. Top 8 Complete 7/12/17)

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

Melee Remaster Shader
This is the final part of project of mine to refurnish the graphical fidelity of Super Smash Bros Melee. Its all about fleshing out the best of Melee, and getting some inspiration from later smash title's aesthetics.

The project so far is split into two parts; a dolphin shader hosted on this thread, and a texture remaster hosted in another. The shader is meant to be used with those textures so I suggest you pay the thread a visit for them.

Currently the shader is only configured fort the Top 8 Characters in the 2015 tier list.

For a shader that does not rely on textures see the SSB4 Shader for SSBM.

Whats going to be done:
  • This shader will have an config for Ishiiruka and and Netplay dolphin.
  • A texture project will be done for color correcting and "enhancing" the game's textures.
  • Textures will be made to look as good as they can without the shader, the shader is only a boost.
  • Will be editing stage lighting.
  • There will be four packages of the remaster, the shader alone, the textures with an iso rebuilder, a iso rebuilder for the full remaster, and then all the source files for the entire project.
Whats not:
  • I will not be making HD redraws of the characters( I can't commit to something like this plus its already being done. Also I want this to work on a wii.)
  • "enhancing" will not be some over post processing of the characters, there will only be subtle changes to add to the color correction.
  • My main focus will not be to add extra stage lighting. Stage lighting will be edited only to adjust to corrections to textures, and enhance overall look without any performance decrease. If I can add lights without causing problems then I may if it helps.
So this project will be in two to three parts. Shader, Character/Stage textures, and Stage Lighting(if possible).

Top 8 Complete

Marth and Sheik Complete

Falco vs Fox (Falco Complete)

Once each characters neutral skin is retextured I'll post a wallpaper made using their result pose.
They are rendered at the highest resolution my graphics card outputs: 3200x1800 (16:9)
Album Link: Imgur

There are three catagories of shaders: Lo Fi, Mid Fi, and Hi Fi, each has a different performance impact.

Lo Fi:
(Working on it.... :bluejump:)

Mid Fi:
Melee Remaster Top 8 Mid Fi Shader

Hi - Fi:
Melee Remaster Top 8 High Fi Shader

Old:
Tino's Ishiiruka Dolphin (Get 660 for latest shader)
M Remaster Textures
M Remaster Shader (Marth and Sheik Complete) Ishiiruka 660
M Remaster Shader Early Config
M Remaster Shader (Falco Complete) Ishiiruka 420
M Remaster Shader (Falco Complete) Ishiiruka 620

This is a configuration of Tino's FX post-processs effect for his Ishiiruka-dolphin emulator specifically created for SSBM. The goal of this effect was to make this game look closer to SSB4. This involves color correcting the game and changing the shades and tones to be softer yet still retain contrast and a neutral feel. There is also an ambient glow around the characters that is not present in SSBM that was attempted to be added with bloom.

The Result of these edits is this (2.10):

Video Guide:
Courtesy of HoDANG: Link

Prerequisites:
Ishiiruka's Custom Dolphin

Download:
SSB4 Shader 2.10
SSB4 Shader 2.12 (This is config brings back some of the vibrancy but less color correction.)

Guide (click on links for visual aids):
  1. Download the latest build of Ishiiruka's custom dolphin.
  2. Extract it to a folder where you would want the emulator to be. (Use extract here)
  3. Go inside the build folder and select the Sys folder.
  4. Go inside Shaders.
  5. Delete absolutely everything EXCEPT IshiirukaFX.glsl (How it will look)
  6. Go to your documents folder and find the Dolphin Emulator folder.
  7. Drag and drop the load folder within the SSB4 Shader 2.0.zip into the Dolphin Emulator folder.
  8. Start up dolphin.
  9. Go to config set it to what anther's ladder guide has.
  10. Go to graphics, set Post-Processing Effect to IshiirukaFX. Everything else is up to you.

Performance:
This runs suprisingly well considering what it does. I'm running this at 2x internal resolution at full screen 1600x900 with no slow downs. The hardest thing that hits the game is yoshi breaking out of his egg. If you don't get slow down with that then your fine. (This was when I had a ATI5750 and Intel i7-870.)

On a R9390 gpu and FX-8350, I can run run it at 3x internal res, with 2 samples of AA, 8x AF, fullscreen 1080p, with SSAA.
Screenshots:

2.10:
Imgur Gallery
Comparison Gallery

So this is a configured version of Reshade specifically for Melee that I created. This is old config that wasn't really able to get the look I wanted for the game was still better for me than the original. I really dont recommend using this since Tino's Ishiiruka-Dolphin does a way better job with much less of a hit on performance. This also is known not to be very stable with dolphin.

Performance:
I was able to get perfect frame rate in 4 v 4 at Hyrule Temple, at 1360x768 full screen with a first gen i7 and an ati 5750 1gb graphics card. Judge your performance from there.

Note: that it does not matter what your internal resolution is set within dolphin for reshade, reshade's performance is impacted from the actual resolution the window is taking up, so I recommend using full screen at a lower res if you cannot get a stable framerate at your native monitors resolution with the window maximized.

Prerequisites:
Installation:
  • Backup your OpenGl32.dll used for your dolphin emulator as it will be replaced.
  • Extract the contents of the zip file I provided into the dolphin folder and make sure to replace any files if asked. (Except for the 32 bit folder)
  • If using a 32-bit version of dolphin use the OpenGl32.dll I provided in the 32-bit folder.
  • The shader can be turned off and on using scroll lock.
Screenshots:
1.3 Imgur
1.2 Imgur
1.1 Imgur

Reshade Versions:
1.2: Download
1.1: Download
1.0 : Download

MRS Falco Complete
  • Adjusted the shader to the Falco and Fox textures.
MRS Early Build
  • Made a new config from scratch for the Melee Remaster Project. Configured for only the neutral and orange skins of fox.
  • Updated Melee shader based on feedback, let me know if you like the changes.
  • Scene Tonemapping: Film Strength reduced to 0.54 from 0.73
  • Pixel Vibrancy: Vibrancy is now at -0.09 from -0.13
  • Added DolphinFX shader and configuration text for project m netplay builds.
  • Added a configuration for project m to the files.
  • Switched to Tino's Ishiiruka-Custom Dolphin Emulator
  • Used the Ishiiruka FX
  • Remade the configuration from the ground up using various ssb4 reference images.
1.3:
  • Stopped color correcting with liftgammagain and instead used colormatrix.
  • increased contrast with curves.
  • Made some adjustments to the tone map to better neutralize the higher contrast.
  • Made ambient lighting stronger to accommodate the added contrast.
  • Made threshold for bloom stricter and made bloom slightly more powerful so that it bleeds less while maintaining a nice bloom.
  • Removed vibrance effect and used tonemap's saturation instead.
1.2:
  • Completely redid the lift gamma gain's color correction.
  • Went stronger on the tone mapping and made the bloom and ambient lighting more neutral.
  • Gave a bit more contrast with the curves to the deep shadows while still keeping a lighter look.
  • Changed threshold on bloom so it does not bleed as much onto everything.
1.1:
  • Did major color correction on various shading levels to get closer to the palette of SSB4 (Blues seem to be to high on the dark end, will need to make them more neutral next week.)
  • Added subtle ambient lighting
  • Redid the bloom and chapman lens effect.
Let me know if you have any issues I'll try to resolve them. Also don't be afraid to leave feedback I can take a beating. :bluejump:

Alright this is for anyone who wants to get the very most out of the shader, or wants to make proper edits to it, but they do not have a calibrated display. Peferrably you want to be on either DVI, DP, or HDMI for this test as any other cable has less accurate colors.

The large list of configuration guidelines I post may seem daunting but its just a bit long to attempt to go over every option and setup an individual might have since TV's and monitors vary greatly. It will take time but so long as you follow the steps it should be easy.

If you do not like your calibration, try again, as it takes time to train the eye to these things, or just keep your defaults as they are usually good enough for most situations. Using hardware to calibrate is usually the better option however. A good inexpensive option is the colormuki smile.

The only warning suitable before going forward is after you do this, most displays you see will be not calibrated and look like ****.

For this calibration your going to use the following test images:
The Lagom LCD test pages

Next you will need to have your computer's color settings out.
For Nividia it will look like this: Link
For AMD it looks like this: Link
For Intel it looks something like this: Link
Then be ready to acess your tv or monitor settings for proper changes to it aswell.

Before we go into calibration, zero out all your previous settings to defaults. Write down or save your original calibration for your monitor/tv, and graphics hardware.

Do the following calibrations in order:

Open up the menu, and go to color if you have that option.

Look under presets for some setting called sRGB, make sure its on that. This will lock you out of changing colors, brightness, and maybe contrast in order for your display to meet the sRGB standard.

If you haven't been looked out of your settings for brightness or contrast, or do not have such an option, then just make sure your colors are as neutral as possible; no warm or cold presets. If sRGB is set, ignore the rest of this.

If your color options only consist of saturation changes, leave it as normal as you can.

Now go to the Lagom gradient test page, were going to make sure your greys are as neutral as they can be.
On the montior/tv mess with your color options and notice how the greys/whites have a sort of tint added to them based on the color taken out/added, you want to set it up so that it looks as grey as possible, print out a gradient as a reference if you need to.

Before doing this make sure your TV's backlight is set to a level you like, and DCR or anything that handles your backlight automatically is turned off.

Use the black level test image for this.

Using the brightness setting, increase the brightness until as many squares are visible while retaining the deepest black you can behind the squares. Its fine if you cannot get the topmost row to show up for now.

Your not trying to make it look really distinct from each square or from the black background, your just trying to see if you can barely make out a square at the top levels from the background. Just a tiny bit lighter.

Do not sacrifice a black background for a grey one so that you may see all the levels, you want it to stay as black as you can.

Most TV's and monitors do not have this option, if you do it ussually comes with an sRGB setting and would just be left alone if so.

If you do not have sRGB but have gamma setting, follow the following:

While still using the black level test image, raise or lower the gamma, until you can barely make out the top most row of squares, if you can not see 1 and 2, don't fret over it, they are very hard to get.

Go back to Black levels and make changes to your brightness to adjust to the new gamma.

Go to the white saturation page for this one.

Using contrast option on your tv/montior, lower the contrast until you can barely can make out the 252, and 253 values, if you can get it to show 254, great but it will be very hard to do this on a non professional monitor.
If you can already see them, try to increase the contrast till you barely can.

If you've done what I told you, congrats, this display is now calibrated for the best picture possible without using software from a graphics card. Your console gaming experience should be better. Move on to the software portion if your going to be using a pc for even better edits.

Same as before do it in order:
Use the gradient test image.

Look for a temperature controller, if you don't have one just skip this step:
Set it until you have the most neutral greys possible. This usually lies around 6500k.

Using your color options make the greys/whites as close to neutral as possible with no color tints.

Print out the gradient if you need a reference.

Use the black level test image.

Raise or lower gamma, till squares 1 and 2 are almost indistinguishable from the black background.

Keep using the black level test image.

Raise and lower brightness to achieve the deepest black background possible while still being able to distinguish the first and second square.

Use the White saturation test image.

Lower your contrast until 253 is barely distinguishable from the white background. If already, increase the contrast till it barely is.
Congrats, if you did everything, you should have a well calibrated display for doing it by eye. Naturally the more times you do it, the more trained your eye becomes at calibrating displays.

Its always best to use a hardware calibrator if you can get one though.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Thx! I'll be updating this every week or so. I keep finding new ways of making look better.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Hm, if I enable any of the options from ReShade I only get a black screen (with audio, so no crashing. Just no video). Any idea why?

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507

Anutim

Smash Apprentice

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Isn't it for DX9/11 and not OpenGL?
If im not mistaken it has OpenGL support for some things but not all because of the way OpenGL works. But its just DX11 and OpenGL i think. But it can do some seriously awesome things to your game. Requires a slightly beefier computer though.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
If im not mistaken it has OpenGL support for some things but not all because of the way OpenGL works. But its just DX11 and OpenGL i think. But it can do some seriously awesome things to your game. Requires a slightly beefier computer though.
Alright, cool. Since I couldn't get ReShade to work properly, I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
OP its actually possible to take this even further using this ===> https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version?highlight=ishii

It allows for you to add SSAO, vibrance settings, Depth Of Field and more. Here is an example of it in Project M
Before:http://i.imgur.com/8KGD3T9.png

After:http://i.imgur.com/nsIIBsJ.png

This is an old picture though so it looks alot better than that now.
I'll look into this. I've been busy with a game project of mine as well as life but I have more time now so I'll see if I can make a better version with this.

Edit: This is gonna be good....

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Are you using both ReShade and Ishiiruka or just one of them for these?
I am just using Ishiruka's build and his fx. It pretty much has enough tools to get the job done and will provide much better performance for everyone.

Reshade was only used since it was the only decent thing I could find but it crushed performance and I never was able to improve it much past 1.3. Plus a good amount of friends couldn't even get it to operate.

The new version will be named diff since its no longer a reshade config, and will be far better than 1.3. So far it looks amazing but what I'm having difficulty with compromising the ssb4 "look" while still having menu ui that's not hit to hard by the effects and keeping the stages at their right tones.

By thursday it should be good enough for release after that I may look into seeing if I can do small color corrections within the game code to help mitigate my menu probs.

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
I am just using Ishiruka's build and his fx. It pretty much has enough tools to get the job done and will provide much better performance for everyone.

Reshade was only used since it was the only decent thing I could find but it crushed performance and I never was able to improve it much past 1.3. Plus a good amount of friends couldn't even get it to operate.

The new version will be named diff since its no longer a reshade config, and will be far better than 1.3. So far it looks amazing but what I'm having difficulty with compromising the ssb4 "look" while still having menu ui that's not hit to hard by the effects and keeping the stages at their right tones.

By thursday it should be good enough for release after that I may look into seeing if I can do small color corrections within the game code to help mitigate my menu probs.
The main problem with ishiiruka is it doesnt know how to tell the difference between the HUD and the actual game so it blurs out percent and such. BUT tino the dev for it is working on a fix for that so hopefully we will get something soon.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Ok I made a video that I am uploading. It will be covering pretty much everything at a slow pace, allowing you space to do it at the same time without much of a need for pausing. I pretty much did it from scratch following the instructions. There are no edits and I did it completely improvised from start to finish so its not the most professional rendition. The video quality however is 1080p at 48fps. (12000bits/s) So it should be clear to watch. The video will be for both SSBM and PM. It will cover the regular shader and the shader used for pm in netplay.

I'll update this post with the video when its done. My upload speed is 1.5mb and the vid is 3 gb so expect it to be a while.

Edit: Taking forever first upload attempted failed half way through been attempting again...

Last edited:

ikrager

Smash Cadet
Looks like all the character models are dulled down and less vivid.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Turning down the film strength under scene tonemapping may help with this if you would like it to look more vivid. Although on a properly calibrated display they don't look that bad but not everyone has that level of contrast on their display either. I may update the shader version for ssbm to bring it down to the 0.60s since I'm starting to like it more in that area.

Older games meant to be played on crts tended to overcompensate for the lack of proper color on those old boxes by making the textures more vivid in the game. This however looks dated and a bit over saturated on modern displays. If your playing on crt I could see why you would want it.

Looks like all the character models are dulled down and less vivid.

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Turning down the film strength under scene tonemapping may help with this if you would like it to look more vivid. Although on a properly calibrated display they don't look that bad but not everyone has that level of contrast on their display either. I may update the shader version for ssbm to bring it down to the 0.60s since I'm starting to like it more in that area.

Older games meant to be played on crts tended to overcompensate for the lack of proper color on those old boxes by making the textures more vivid in the game. This however looks dated and a bit over saturated on modern displays. If your playing on crt I could see why you would want it.
If there is any kind of vibrancy control it would help alot.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Film strength and pixel vibrance control it. I'm using both in combination to color correct the characters as fox, mario, luigi, pica, pichu, doc all had more yellow than they needed and were over saturated. Increasing the base for pixel vibrance should bring back what was lost in dullness but the trade off is less color correction.

If you guys think it looks better however I can put the film strength down to around 0.54 and increase pixel vibrance by a few hundrenths to around 0.09.
Here is the shader as of 2.10 for SSBM: Link
Here is the proposed change following above: Link

What would help is if all the textures were toned down using some image correction software like photoshop, then the shader would be able to focus more on enhancing instead of correcting. I could release a side texture project where I just color correct the default textures in the game. Then I would also have to make a shader for that texture pack only. I tried using brawl box before to see if I could do custom lighting for the legal stages but could not find any documentation on how to work with it. (Was for PM only...) [Still could not find equivalent for ssbm...

Last edited:

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
Seems much too bright when I use it in Melee. It washes out the color much more than I would prefer. But yes, I do see a little bit of similarities to SM4SH. Also, your proposed change looks a bit better in the screenshot comparison.

Also... what is the DolphinFX config (copy whats inside).txt
and the DolphinFX.glsl
files? what do I do with them?

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Updated the post with new download for SSB4 Shader V2.12, which as the edits spoken about above. I want to see what people think about them to finalize the shader before I move on to the Melee Remaster shader which I started a section for in the OP at the bottom.

On the tutorial video for installing. Sorry that is not up. Tired uploading it twice to see that youtube failed to receive it. After looking at it a few times I decided I could do better and will just rerecord it this weekend and upload it overnight on sunday using youtube's recommended settings for OBS.

I also have some placeholder text for where links are going to be for v2.12 or v2.2 if there is any more feedback on the shader before I work on MeleeHD.

Seems much too bright when I use it in Melee. It washes out the color much more than I would prefer. But yes, I do see a little bit of similarities to SM4SH. Also, your proposed change looks a bit better in the screenshot comparison.

Also... what is the DolphinFX config (copy whats inside).txt
and the DolphinFX.glsl
files? what do I do with them?
Those are for Project M. Ignore those if you are using SSBM only. They are used for dolphin netplay. I do not have a dolphin netplay shader for Melee yet.

Last edited:

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
Oh wow, the difference from 2.10 to 2.12 for melee seems much better! I was wondering if there is anything I can do on my own to make it even better? or if I should just wait for you to release your stuff and download it. Any quick tips to improve it would be nice. I have a high end computer btw. :)

You mentioned something about a netplay version for PM... is that something where only you need it? or do both players need it? Also, how would I go about installing that o-o?
About the video thing... I could make a video for how to do this on Melee and then send it to you and you could edit it if you'd like.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Your welcome to edit it as you see fit. go into the config menu and just mess with value and see what does what (May take some time). If you come out with something you like more don't be afraid to post it here. Anyone can really contribute to this if quite a few people really like an aspect of it or more I can incorporate it into the the ssb4 shader, or post your shader as an alt in the op with link to your post.

If your going to be doing something like this please calibrate your display(s) before doing so. When doing configs like this you want to be able to see all sublties as accurately as you can. If you dont have the hardware (like a colormuki), then look at the original post for a guide on how to calibrate your display by eye. (Finished the guide.)

I haven't started the Melee Remaster shader yet, and that can't be really contributed to until I have at least one corrected character skin and a scratch new shader config. You can for the ssb4 shader though.

The dolphin shader only requires you to need it since it just applies the post processing on your screen and does not affect the acutal game code. There is a guide on the ssb4 shader for pm thread.

If you like to send the video you can but I already planned to do that tonight or sunday. I'm not the best at video tutorials since I don't have the time to make a whole planned out. If you do and upload it I will definitely link it so long as its clear on what to do.

Last edited:

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
Your welcome to edit it as you see fit. go into the config menu and just mess with value and see what does what (May take some time). If you come out with something you like more don't be afraid to post it here. Anyone can really contribute to this if quite a few people really like an aspect of it or more I can incorporate it into the the ssb4 shader, or post your shader as an alt in the op with link to your post.

If your going to be doing something like this please calibrate your display(s) before doing so. When doing configs like this you want to be able to see all sublties as accurately as you can. If you dont have the hardware (like a colormuki), then look at the original post for a guide on how to calibrate your display by eye. (Finished the guide.)

I haven't started the MeleeHD shader yet, and that can't be really contributed to until I have at least one corrected character skin and a scratch new shader config. You can for the ssb4 shader though.

The dolphin shader only requires you to need it since it just applies the post processing on your screen and does not affect the acutal game code. There is a guide on the ssb4 shader for pm thread.

If you like to send the video you can but I already planned to do that tonight or sunday. I'm not the best at video tutorials since I don't have the time to make a whole planned out. If you do and upload it I will definitely link it so long as its clear on what to do.
Done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf2lh66WLc
Was fun making it :D hope you like it

I show how to extract the two archives and place/replace/delete all the needed files ( 0:00 - 4:55 )
Then I show all the settings that need to be configured within Dolphin.exe ( 4:56 - 9:35 )
Then I show some game play at the end ( 9:36 - 13:08 END )

I linked them to this thread in the description so......
This video is assuming that the user already has a Melee ISO file, knows where their ISO file is located on their computer, and already has the Ishiiruka.420(beb4a2f).x64.zip and the SSB4 Shader 2.12.zip files downloaded and placed on the DESKTOP.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this, now I can focus on making other parts of this project like proper screenshots and the fox color correction.

Update:
Props to everyone who made the DAT Texture Wizard. Its one of the most user friendly community made texture hack tools I've ever used. (I've used quite a bit of jank stuff).

I started to make corrections to fox's Tail. (Used Exposure, Brightness, Contrast, and Channel Mixer in photoshop)
Before
After
Ingame (Without shader)

Update 2:
I made a thread for the separate texture project, and modified the op post to reflect the shift to the Melee Remaster Shader.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I updated the Remaster shader to go with the falco complete textures for the texture side of the project.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Ed94 Ed94 Ishiiruka has been getting updated pretty frequently and it has some texture scaling options now if you want to take a look at it. And as always, requires a beefy computer.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I made a configuration of the Remaster Shader for the latest Ishiiruka 620 since the stable version is pretty old now and there has been some significant changes. There is a bit more post processing now but should not take too much of a hit on performance.
CowlScatman CowlScatman Those texture upscalers are pretty nice.

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
I made a configuration of the Remaster Shader for the latest Ishiiruka 620 since the stable version is pretty old now and there has been some significant changes. There is a bit more post processing now but should not take too much of a hit on performance.
CowlScatman CowlScatman Those texture upscalers are pretty nice.
Yeah they are pretty good. Ive been making some HD stage textures for netplay and ishiiruka's scaling is doing them some serious justice.

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
give pics hombre. have u painted nrms too btw?
did a little normals in pm but not melee yet. Ill have a few screenshots below.

This is the pm normals

And here's some of my stage work for my netplay pack. The FD textures are actually 3k

and if your interested i did some normals for twilight princess as well

Top Bottom