Melee Reboot Roster 2.0

3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
First of all, I wanna thank Diddy Kong Diddy Kong for his version of the Melee Roster Reboot thread made awhile ago.

So it's 2001 and Super Smash Bros Melee is set to be released later that year. You finalized the roster for the game and realized you have enough time to make FIVE new characters to surprise the fans by locking them very deep into the game, and none of them are unannounced until players discover the new characters themselves. They aren't mentioned in cheat sheets either to make it more fun and challenging!

And back then, the moment fans catch onto secret unlockable characters, there's many "OMG HOLY ****ING ****!" moments going around. We've all been there ;)

Here's the rules to keep it fun:

1. The Original 8 (:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:) must be on the roster, no exceptions

2. The Secret 4 (:ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:) are not required, but heavily encouraged

3. The Melee roster (:ultbowser::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultroy::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultzelda:) can be added/removed at any point . If removed, replacing the character is not required, but strongly encouraged.

4. ANY video game character is allowed up to very late 2001. If you're gonna use a character to promote a game, you must explain how that character will be used in the game and what's the purpose of the character being advertised.

5. Maximum roster is 30 characters (31 including Sheik) on the roster

My version of the roster

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultbanjokazooie::ultfalcon:
:ultfox::ultwolf::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultness::ultsamus::sheilda::ultlink::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::214::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultolimar::ultmarth::ultroy:

Cuts/Considered

:ultjigglypuff: - Back then she wasn't as iconic as she would've been. Felt she would be unnecessary at that time, but later added in a future game via fan demand

:ultpichu: - Don't at me for this. I know Pichu was a joke character, but I wouldn't had put Pichu in the game as a joke or clone character. Would've fit for someone else like Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch being the joke/wtf character to Melee instead.

:ultfalco: - While I love Falco, I do think Wolf should've been in before Falco here. Falco would join the field in Brawl onwards.

:ultdoc: - I'll admit that two Marios felt weird. For those who argue about two Links, keep in mind that Links are from different timelines. Mario isn't.

Added

*:ultwolf: - Mentioned above. I do feel Wolf should've been in Melee over Falco, but that's me. Wolf would be a clone here with some claw moves added and later modified to a semi-clone later in the series (replaced Falco)

*:ultcharizard: - Not much to explain here. Very popular Pokemon, used on Ash's team, an unique character with actual flying thanks to its wings (and shared with Pit) but Charizard's able to hang in the air longer. (replaced Jigglypuff)

*:ultbanjokazooie: - I know many of you are gonna be surprised with this. The reason I added Banjo due to Rare's popularity at that time and in this non-canon moment, Banjo is still with Nintendo under Rare so he would join the Melee roster.

:ultpit: - Pit was at the time more of a classic iconic character making him one of the retro characters along with Ice Climbers and Game&Watch. While Pit would be one of the two characters with wings to glide alongside Charizard, he wouldn't have the same ability to last as long here.

:ultdiddy: - DK's sidekick. Melee felt weird without Diddy around doesn't it? Diddy was pretty popular then and most of his moveset would be pulled from DKC and DK64.

*:ultkingdedede: - This one is simple: Dedede was planned for 64 and didn't happen. So I feel Dedede would've been a character to add in Melee instead.

:ultdaisy: - I think it would've been interesting to see how Daisy would've faired here. She would've not only been the first female clone in Melee instead of Lucina later, but I feel she would've shown more than just a pretty face. For Daisy, she'd have more strength but slightly less speed than Peach and less time in the air for floating. (replaced Dr. Mario)

*:ultolimar: - My advertising member of the roster. Olimar's existence would be for the Pikmin series and having an unique moveset created by Sakurai for him with the Pikmin team carefully monitoring the game to make sure Olimar does have interesting moves. His moves will later get tweaked in Brawl after the second game was released.

:214: - Not only has Ash used this Pokemon on his team during the Jonto run, Heracross was a pretty popular Pokemon. The heavy wrestling and grappling game would've been unique for him and a part Fighting type Pokemon would've made sense here (replaced Pichu)

The secret five: :ultbanjokazooie::ultolimar::ultcharizard::ultwolf::ultkingdedede:

Clones/semi clones for this game: :ultluigi::ultdaisy::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultroy: (Luigi and Wolf would be the closest to semi-clones here)

Last edited:
My Melee Remake Roster

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw::ultwario::ultkingdedede::ultsonic::249: Geno and Bio-Rex

Cut: :ultdoc: is not per se, but he is an alternate costume

Reasons for the characters added

Wario and King Dedede were planned for Melee but where cut.

Sonic was considered as well, but the game is halfway through development.

Lugia is one of the most popular Legendary Pokémon, plus Melee needed a flying character, so Lugia took the part.

Geno is quite popular, so his inclusion would help bring in more popularity.

Bio-Rex was chosen since we needed another Dinosaur, and one based on T-Rex, so he is chosen.

Secret Five: Lugia, Geno, Bio-Rex, Sonic and Wario

Last edited:
Melee Reboot Roster.png

This. Probably.

Presuming I have a little more time and resources available than Sakurai ended up having.

Replace Doc with Toad who is the superior Mario Puzzle star option(and far far less redundant than Mario in a lab coat). This also gives us the full Mario Kart 64 roster which is pretty cool.
Ice Climbers get swapped for Banjo-Kazooie who were a more popular duo character option than Nana and Popo.
Swap Falcon for Diddy Kong a different racing game protagonist who also has canon abilities outside a damn car.
Young Link gets swapped for Dixie who is a more interesting 'similar' character to Diddy than the two Links were IMO,
Put Wario in over Ness as he's a more famed capped 'hero' with questionable content in his games.
Puff gets scrapped for anime antagonist Meowth,
Roy's game isn't out yet so he's a bit of a gamble. We'll replace him with another member of royalty; Dedede
Pichu's redundant but we'll still use a very heavily marketed Gold and Silver Pokemon in Marill
Duck Hunt replaces Game and Watch as the more memorable 'retro rep'
Falco gets scrapped for someone else who prefers the air in Balloon Fighter. Would of been Villager but there was only six months between Animal Crossing coming out and Melee coming out so he'd of been a huge gamble too.

Oh and err...throw Ridley on there instead of Sheik or whatever. I don't know. That replacement makes no logical sense but I completely forgot Sheik was in Zelda's kit until the last second I was going to post.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo first of all thanks for using my idea, am totally cool with the thread running again in your name. But is this a realistic concept honestly if you take account that quite a lot of newcomers in Melee where clone fighters who don’t take much time to develop as fully unique characters. So if there would be more unique characters, the game wouldn’t release at the same date. I don’t think that Melee with its strong and demanding deadline to be on the market with the GameCube would ever be able to have a bigger roster than 26 without clone fighters.

3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Dude did you ever just read the rules and get creative for once? That’s the point of the whole thread

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Super Mario Bros.::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::warioc:Toad
Yoshi::ultyoshi:
Donkey Kong::ultdk::ultdiddy:Dixie Kong:ultkrool:
The Legend of Zelda::ultlink::sheilda::ultganondorf:
Metroid::ultsamus::ultridley:
Kirby::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
StarFox::ultfox:
Pokemon::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff:Meowth:ultmewtwo:
EarthBound::ultness:
F-Zero::ultfalcon:
Fire Emblem::ultmarth::ultroy:
Retro::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:

Starter::ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::warioc::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::sheilda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultpikachu:Meowth:ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers:
Unlockable::ultluigi:Toad Dixie Kong:ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultmetaknight::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultmarth::ultroy::ultgnw:

Cut::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultfalco::ultpichu:

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Cadet
I’ll follow the original conditions that I can have 6 clones and 20 unique or 21 unique.
6 Clones
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::ultdaisy::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::gawmelee:
:linkmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::falcomelee::nessmelee:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:
I feel like all of the unique picks were great picks overall (:bowsermelee::peachmelee::mewtwomelee::marthmelee: were popular picks, :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee::icsmelee: have fun gimmicks, and :gawmelee: is a good surprise). From the clones, I feel like most of them made sense at the time since :pichumelee: represents gen II, :younglinkmelee: gave us another version of Link, :falcomelee: would seem reasonable to be a clone of :foxmelee:, :ganondorfmelee: was a popular pick and major villain despite being a clone of a character from a different series, and while he was a promotion pick for a game that only came out in Japan, :roymelee: helped introduce FE to the west. For :drmario:, he did give us another Mario, but I feel like :ultdaisy: would have been a great pick since she recently came back with Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3.

No Clones
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::falconmelee:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::nessmelee:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::gawmelee:
I’d probably just pick :ganondorfmelee: just so we can have another unique LoZ character.

30 Fighters w/o restrictions:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee:Toad:yoshimelee::dkmelee::diddy::warioc::ultbanjokazooie:
:linkmelee::younglinkmelee:(:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:):ganondorfmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee::dedede::foxmelee::falcomelee::nessmelee:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::pt::falconmelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee:

I just took my clone roster and cut :ultdaisy: for 6 new unique fighters.
:warioc: :mariomelee:‘s rival and 3rd most requested character
:dedede: :kirbymelee:‘s rival and 4th most requested character
:diddy: DKC was a big series (15th most requested then)
:ultbanjokazooie: BK was big then and was requested (8th or 12th)
Toad most prominent Mario character outside of big 4 (8th or 9th most requested also)
:pt: main protagonist of Pokemon (12th most requested)

I find Melee’s roster to be interesting since it does have some influence on the rosters of later games. I wondered how the rosters would change for different situations for Melee’s roster:

There were no clones: :warioc: would have been added in Melee, but I wonder if :ganondorfmelee: would have been unique in Brawl and then :falcomelee: would take :wolf:‘s spot. Maybe :4alph: could have taken :drmario:‘s spot afterward, and I think Ultimate’s roster would be smaller then since we‘d have 3 or 4 fewer clones. Also, :toonlink: would have never been :younglinkmelee:‘s “successor,” so Ultimate would only have 2 Links.

If :sheikmelee: was never added: I feel like :zeldamelee: would have been delayed a game or 2 if the transformation gimmick wasn’t a thing since I feel like she was primarily added for that gimmick instead of her importance to LoZ, and that :ultzss: might have never been added either. If this happened, I feel like the unique line up would be :bowsermelee::peachmelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::warioc:, but I don’t know who the last clone would be to replace :ganondorfmelee:(maybe :ultdaisy:?).

If the most popular picks were chosen only (excluding Rare): :bowsermelee::peachmelee::warioc::dedede::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee:Toad:151::marthmelee:
This roster would give a ton of Mario and Pokemon reps, and I’d feel that :151: would have been cut in Brawl and maybe Smash 3DS/Wii U, but the other ones I could see staying. I feel like :icsmelee::gawmelee: could have been added in Brawl with :zeldamelee:, but if :icsmelee: weren’t added in that game, they would have never happened due to 3DS limitations. Like the roster with no clones, the only clones that I could see in are a child Link and :falcomelee:.

Edit a few weeks later:
Here are 2 rosters that I made: 1 with clones and one with none, and I consider time constraints/resources

roster with clones:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::diddy:DK Jr.:falconmelee:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee:Gooey:foxmelee::falcomelee::nessmelee:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:
I went with Gooey and DK. Jr since a child Link comes in Brawl, and he has more history than :ultdaisy:. I cut :gawmelee: since one retro should be enough in Melee with :diddy: for the DK series being big.

No Clones:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee::diddy::falconmelee:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::nessmelee:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::marthmelee:

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Champion
Okay, I’m gonna set up a basis to consider who gets cut and who gets added, under the assumption that more characters would be added with more time for Melee to be developed:

Canon Melee Roster
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::nessmelee::falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::sheilda::drmario::pichumelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::gawmelee:

Cuts
-:nessmelee: (added back in Brawl)
-:jigglypuffmelee: (added back in Brawl)
-:drmario:
-:pichumelee:
-:roymelee: (Sorry, but don’t worry. This is hypothetical.)

Additions
-:052: (replaces :jigglypuffmelee:)
-:ultpiranha: (replaces :drmario:; yes, really.)
-:214: (replaces :pichumelee:)
-Caeda (replaces :roymelee:)
-:pit:
-Balloon Fighter
-:ultbanjokazooie:
-Ayumi Tachibana
-Mach Rider
-Adeleine and Ribbon

Starters
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::052::sheilda:

Unlockables
:luigimelee::ultpiranha::falconmelee:
Adeleine and Ribbon, :214::marthmelee:, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Ayumi Tachibana, Caeda, :falcomelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::pit::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Cadet
Okay, I’m gonna set up a basis to consider who gets cut and who gets added, under the assumption that more characters would be added with more time for Melee to be developed:

Canon Melee Roster
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::sheilda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw:

Cuts
-:ultness: (added back in Brawl)
-:ultjigglypuff: (added back in Brawl)
-:ultdoc:
-:ultpichu:
-:ultroy: (Sorry, but don’t worry. This is hypothetical.)

Additions
-:052: (replaces :ultjigglypuff:)
-:ultpiranha: (replaces :ultdoc:; yes, really.)
-:214: (replaces :ultpichu:)
-Caeda (replaces :ultroy:)
-:ultpit:
-Balloon Fighter
-Ayumi Tachibana
-Mach Rider
-:ultkingdedede:
These are some interesting picks since a few of these were considered for Melee (Balloon Fighter, Ayumi, Mach Rider), and it would be fun to see :pit: in earlier. :052: is a major pokemon that never made the cut, and I wonder how it would play. If I did expand my roster, :dedede: would definitely be in with :warioc:. :ultbanjokazooie: was a popular character that people would have loved to see earlier in SSB, especially if copyright issues didn’t exist. It’s sad to not see :ness64::jigglypuff64:, but you said they’re on your Brawl roster.

I mean…at least I was kind of to add :ultjigglypuff: back in Brawl. And my list didn’t even include :ultdaisy:.
I think he’s refering to the TC

3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Canon Melee Roster
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::nessmelee::falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::sheilda::drmario::pichumelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::gawmelee:

Cuts
-:nessmelee: (added back in Brawl)
-:jigglypuffmelee: (added back in Brawl)
-:drmario:
-:pichumelee:
-:roymelee: (Sorry, but don’t worry. This is hypothetical.)

Additions
-:052: (replaces :jigglypuffmelee:
-:ultpiranha: (replaces :drmario:; yes, really.)
-:214: (replaces :pichumelee:)
-Caeda (replaces :roymelee:)
-:pit:
-Balloon Fighter
-Ayumi Tachibana
-Mach Rider
-:dedede:

Starters
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::052:

Unlockables
:luigimelee::ultpiranha::falconmelee::dedede::214::marthmelee:, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Ayumi Tachibana, Caeda, :falcomelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::pit::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::ultbanjokazooie:
Your roster forgot Zelda/Sheik LOL

The more I think about it, I really wish Meowth took Puff's place and Heracross as the "Gen 2 promotion character". Had they had time, I'm sure they would've done that.

Interesting choices with Caeda and Ayumi. Never thought of them at the time. And P. Plant is the biggest WTF of the entire roster after these two :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To this day, and looking back, I probably wouldn't change even all that much from Melee's roster. Except for one major thing: remove Sheik, in favour for Diddy Kong.

Cinderace

Smash Rookie
I know you said for the rules that Luigi, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon, should be heavily considered, but honestly, they should be put in along with the “Original 8”.
(Aka making all of them the “Original 12”)

You can’t just cut any of those 4 at all, ever.
Just my two cents about it.

If you were gonna cut anyone out with this hypothetical reboot roster, the only ones I could even see being discussed and considered would be the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch.
Considering that they, at the time, did not have a lot going for them.

Me personally, I’m very happy with what characters were added in Melee when it came out. So I don’t think I would change anything/cut anyone.
(And if I had too, I would only maybe-sorta consider Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch, as stated before.)

If I would add anyone, it would be only ONE or a FEW of these characters here.

•Earthbound/Mother series:
Ninten
Jeff
Paula
Poo

•Kirby series:
Meta Knight
Dedede

•DK/Mario series:
Diddy Kong
Wario

•Pokemon series:
Meowth
Lugia
Mew

So I would add 5 characters that I would choose from this possible list of mine.
And if I needed to cut some characters to add ones from my list,
it would probably be Ice Climbers and Mr G&W, to be able to put two other characters in the game from this list, instead.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Apprentice
Veterans: 1. :ultmario: 2. :ultluigi: 3. :ultdk: 4. :ultyoshi: 5. :ultlink: 6. :ultsamus: 7. :ultpikachu: 8. :ultjigglypuff: 9. :ultkirby: 10. :ultfox: 11. :ultness: 12. :ultfalcon: 13. :ultpeach: 14. :ultbowser: 15. :ultzelda: 16. :ultganondorf: 17. :ultmewtwo: 18. :ultgnw: 19. :ultmarth: 20. :ultwario: 21. :ultdiddy: 22. :ultmetaknight: 23. :ultkingdedede: 24. :ultwolf: 25. :ultpit: 26. :ultlittlemac:

Newcomers:
27. Classic Link
28. Ganon
29. Balloon Fighter
30. Toad

Cuts:
:ulticeclimbers: - Ice Climber simply isn't that iconic of a game, and I had Ice Climbers's "Arcade Rep." spot replaced by Balloon Fighter.
:ultsheik: - Sheik was only really added to Melee to be part of Zelda in the game. As of now, there's not really much reason to keep Sheik around without that gimmick
:ultdoc: - Dr. Mario is a weird pick. My guess for why he's in is probably to give some representation to puzzle games. I'd probably make a Dr. Mario stage or something and since he has Mario's moveset, he's not really representing much of anything.
:ultpichu: - I think you know why i'd cut this one
:ultfalco: - Again, I don't see what put this character in Smash in the first place. It's probably that old Melee poll where he was pretty popular, but I wouldn't have added him. The second Starfox character I would have added is Wolf.
:ultyounglink: - A Young Link who uses masks to attack would be cool, but as far as other links go, I would have added a version of Link from the first game and Link to the Past. Much better at representing other sides of the series.
:ultroy: - Yeah... Roy debuted after 2001 so it would be technically against the rules to add him. Even if he debuted in Melee

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3915 0212 4619
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
K. Rool
Link
Zelda (no Sheik)
Ganon (pig)
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Onix
Mewtwo
Ness
Paula
Muddy Mole
Mr. G&W
Sonic
Tails
Eggman
Knuckles
Pac-Man
Wario
Space Invader
Crash Bandicoot
Duck Hunt

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Champion
And maybe stages…I’m somewhat surprised (but I understand) that nobody, not even me, thought about stages. Let me just…make a little stage revamp, too. (^ denotes unlockable stages)

Canon Melee Stages
:battlefieldb:
:fdb:
-Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach’s Castle
-Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
-Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
-DK Island: Kongo Jungle
-DK Island: Jungle Japes
-Kongo Jungle (64)
-Termina: Great Bay
-Hyrule: Temple
-Planet Zebes: Brinstar
-Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Island
-Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Story
-Super Happy Tree (64)
-Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
-Dream Land: Green Greens
-Dream Land (64)
-Lylat System: Corneria
-Lylat System: Venom
-Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
-F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
-Eagleland: Onett
-Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
-Mushroom Kingdom II^
-Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths^
-Kanto Skies: Poké Floats^
-F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue^
-Eagleland: Fourside^
-Superflat World: Flat Zone^

Cuts and Replacements
-Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) <-> Mushroom Kingdom (64)
-Mushroom Kingdom II <-> Bowser’s Castle
-Icicle Mountain <-> Ushimitsu High School

Additions
-World 8: Bowser’s Castle (Fortress Boss - Super Mario Bros. 3)
-Goldenrod City: Game Corner (Goldenrod City)
-Northern Zofia: Temple of Mila (With Mila’s Divine Protection (Celica Map 1))
-Ushimitsu High School: Famicom Detective Club (Famicom Detective Club Medley/Mach Rider Medley)

Starters
-Princess Peach’s Castle
-Rainbow Cruise
-Kongo Jungle
-Temple
-Brinstar
-Yoshi’s Island
-Green Greens
-Corneria
-Pokémon Stadium
-Game Corner
-Mute City
-Onett

Unlockables
-Mushroom Kingdom (64) (Unlock :luigimelee:)
-Bowser’s Castle (Unlock the Birdo Trophy)
-Jungle Japes (Compelte All-Star Mode with :dkmelee:)
-Kongo Jungle 64 (Complete 15-Minute Melee with any character)
-Great Bay (Unlock :younglinkmelee:)
-Brinstar Depths (Play 50 Vs. Matches or Clear Classic and Adventure with :samusmelee:)
-Yoshi’s Story (Clear Classic, Adventure and Target Test as :yoshimelee:)
-Super Happy Tree (Hit more than 1312.3 ft/400 m in Home-Run Contest)
-Fountain of Dreams (Clear 100-Man Melee as :kirbymelee: and Adeleine and Ribbon)
-Dream Land 64 (Clear Target Test as every character)
-Venom (Clear Adventure Mode as :foxmelee: and :falcomelee:)
-Poké Floats (Clear 100 Vs. Matches as :mewtwomelee: or Clear Classic and Adventure as Balloon Fighter on Hard or higher)
-Big Blue (Get all the way to the end in Race to the Finish as :falconmelee: and Mach Rider)
-Fourside (Clear Classic and Adventure Mode as :mewtwomelee: on Normal or higher)
-Temple of Mila (Clear Classic and Adventure as :marthmelee: and Caeda)
-Ushimitsu High School (Unlock Ayumi)
-Flat Zone (Unlock :gawmelee:, clear Classic and Adventure Mode as :gawmelee:, and clear All-Star Mode as every character)

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Okay so here's who I'm keeping:
:ultmario:,:ultlink:,:ultdk:,:ultpikachu:,:ultsamus:,:ultfox:,:ultyoshi:,:ultkirby:,:ultluigi:,:ultfalcon:,:ultness:,:ultjigglypuff:,:ulticeclimbers:,:ultbowser:,:ultpeach:,:ultzelda:,:ultganondorf:(Reworked to have a unique moveset, replaces Sheik for said original moveset),:ultfalco:,:ultmewtwo:,:ultgnw:,:ultmarth:,:ultroy:.
Okay, so replacements now:
:ultyounglink: is replaced by Wario. Wario's moveset is mainly based on the Wario Land series. Wario got robbed, even Sakurai said he was supposed to be in and if he could choose one more character, it'd be Wario.
:ultdoc: is replaced by Diddy Kong. DK needs more reps, simple as the that.
:ultpichu: is replaced by King Dedede. Another villain character and is Sakurai's child
My five new characters:
1. Snake(Was originally planned to Melee, after Kojima asked Sakurai)
2. Sonic(Like Snake was going to be in. I dont even need to explain why he's in, it'd just be so legendary)
3. Tails(Adding Sonic is crazy enough, but adding Tails would be the cherry on top of the sugar-filled cake. I was also inspired by the fake leak)
4. Ayumi Tachibana(I admit I don't have much of reason to add this character. I just think she'd be a really fun character to add, considering her origins)
5. Ridley(We were all practically teased in that opening. Again he's another Villain and would be a unique character to add into this roster)
Edit: Thanks for BowserKing pointing my mistake. I accidentally put Kirby twice instead of Pikachu.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Cadet
And maybe stages…I’m somewhat surprised (but I understand) that nobody, not even me, thought about stages. Let me just…make a little stage revamp, too. (^ denotes unlockable stages)

Canon Melee Stages
-Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach’s Castle
-Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
-Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
-DK Island: Kongo Jungle
-DK Island: Jungle Japes
-Kongo Jungle (64)
-Termina: Great Bay
-Hyrule: Temple
-Planet Zebes: Brinstar
-Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Island
-Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Story
-Super Happy Tree (64)
-Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
-Dream Land: Green Greens
-Dream Land (64)
-Lylat System: Corneria
-Lylat System: Venom
-Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
-F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
-Eagleland: Onett
-Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
-Mushroom Kingdom II^
-Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths^
-Kanto Skies: Poké Floats^
-F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue^
-Eagleland: Fourside^
-Superflat World: Flat Zone^

Cuts and Replacements
-Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) <-> Mushroom Kingdom (64)
-Mushroom Kingdom II <-> Bowser’s Castle
-Icicle Mountain <-> Ushimitsu High School

Additions
-World 8: Bowser’s Castle (Fortress Boss - Super Mario Bros. 3)
-Goldenrod City: Game Corner (Goldenrod City)
-Northern Zofia: Temple of Mila (With Mila’s Divine Protection (Celica Map 1))
-Ushimitsu High School: Famicom Detective Club (Famicom Detective Club Medley/Mach Rider Medley)

Starters
-Princess Peach’s Castle
-Rainbow Cruise
-Kongo Jungle
-Temple
-Brinstar
-Yoshi’s Island
-Green Greens
-Corneria
-Pokémon Stadium
-Game Corner
-Mute City
-Onett

Unlockables
-Mushroom Kingdom (64) (Unlock :luigimelee:)
-Bowser’s Castle (Unlock the Birdo Trophy)
-Jungle Japes (Compelte All-Star Mode with :dkmelee:)
-Kongo Jungle 64 (Complete 15-Minute Melee with any character)
-Great Bay (Unlock :younglinkmelee:)
-Brinstar Depths (Play 50 Vs. Matches or Clear Classic and Adventure with :samusmelee:)
-Yoshi’s Story (Clear Classic, Adventure and Target Test as :yoshimelee:)
-Super Happy Tree (Hit more than 1312.3 ft/400 m in Home-Run Contest)
-Fountain of Dreams (Clear 100-Man Melee as :kirbymelee: and Adeleine and Ribbon)
-Dream Land 64 (Clear Target Test as every character)
-Venom (Clear Adventure Mode as :foxmelee: and :falcomelee:)
-Poké Floats (Clear 100 Vs. Matches as :mewtwomelee: or Clear Classic and Adventure as Balloon Fighter on Hard or higher)
-Big Blue (Get all the way to the end in Race to the Finish as :falconmelee: and Mach Rider)
-Fourside (Clear Classic and Adventure Mode as :mewtwomelee: on Normal or higher)
-Temple of Mila (Clear Classic and Adventure as :marthmelee: and Caeda)
-Ushimitsu High School (Unlock Ayumi)
-Flat Zone (Unlock :gawmelee:, clear Classic and Adventure Mode as :gawmelee:, and clear All-Star Mode as every character)
While this thread is about rosters, I’ll do a thing for stages for fun.
Mario: Peach’s Castle 64, Mushroom Kingdom 64, Rainbow Cruise, Bowser’s Castle
DK: Jungle Japes, Minecart Madness
LoZ: Hyrule Castle 64, Temple, Clock Town
Metroid: Brinstar, Crateria
Yoshi: Yoshi’s Island, Yoshi’s Story
Kirby: Green Greens, Fountain of Dreams
Star Fox: Sector Z 64, Venom
Pokemon: Saffron City 64, Pokemon Stadium, Pokefloats, Mt. Silver
Mother: Onett, Fourside
F-Zero: Mute City, Big Blue
Ice Climber: Icicle Mountain NES Style
FE: Archanea
G&W: Flat Zone
SSB: Battlefield and FD
Reasons:
I prefer the original Peach’s Castle and Mushroom Kingdom, and Bowser’s castle is a major location. Minecraft Madness gives DK a non-jungle map. Hyrule Castle is my favorite map, and Clock Town seems to be a more popular MM location. Crateria is a non-lava map. Sector Z and Corneria are very similar. People like Saffron City, and Mt. Silver is a gen II map. I wanted an FE map also.

Last edited:
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mario series: :mariomelee:, :luigimelee:, :peachmelee:, :bowsermelee: Toad

Zelda series: :linkmelee:, :zeldamelee:, :sheikmelee:, :ganondorfmelee: (with a complete original moveset), Skull Kid

Pokemon series: :pikachumelee:, :mewtwomelee:, :jigglypuffmelee:, Raichu (Replaces :pichumelee: as the :pikachumelee: clone)

DK series: :dkmelee:, Diddy Kong

Metroid series: :samusmelee:, Ridley

Star Fox series: :foxmelee:, :falcomelee:

Kirby series: :kirbymelee:, King Dedede

Yoshi series: :yoshimelee:

Mother series: :nessmelee:

F-Zero series: :falconmelee:, Blood Falcon (Replaces :ganondorfmelee: as the :falconmelee: clone having almost the exact moveset as Melee :ganondorfmelee:.)

Fire Emblem series: :marthmelee:, :roymelee:

Retro category: Mach Rider (Replaces :icsmelee:), :gawmelee:

Banjo-Kazooie series: Banjo & Kazooie

Cuts:

:drmario: - Iike him more than Mario, but he simply can't replace him. Plus there are other characters I would prefer to have seen over Doc.

:pichumelee: - Don't really like Pichu I much prefer Raichu instead.

:younglinkmelee: - Not really necessary much like Doc and Pichu. Would prefer someone else take his slot.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot about Banjo & Kazooie while first writing up this list.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Cadet
I’m revisiting this topic since I wonder what everyone’s rosters would be if only 20 characters were in the roster like originally intended.
Here’s mine:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultsamus:
:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers:

Pretty boring but I liked the unique newcomers that they picked in Melee. I replaced :ultgnw: with :ultdiddy: since the DK series was huge then, and I don’t think I could have come up with :ultgnw: as a character, but I‘d still keep flatzone as a map though. I kept :ulticeclimbers: for their moveset and kept :ultsheik: to give :ultzelda: a unique gimmick. With this roster, :ultwario::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf: unfortunately get left out.

Top Bottom