• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Projectile Question

Sour-Slug

Smash Rookie
I have been looking around for a while and have found nothing really that answers my question. I am making a Samus mod where the homing missile is an ice missile.

The thing I want to change is the particle effect that is displayed when the missile hits, as it is fire atm but I would like to change it, I just don't know where the code is that spawns the graphical effect. any help would be greatly appreciated.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
It's a hardcoded GFX,

Code:
$Samus Smash Missle GFX Modifier [UnclePunch]
04272a84 3860XXXX

Replace XXXX with 0050 for an ice-like GFX.

EDIT:

Code:
$Samus Homing Missle GFX Modifier [UnclePunch]
04272b64 3860XXXX
Here's the homing missle as well.

Last edited:

Sour-Slug

Smash Rookie
It's a hardcoded GFX,

Code:
04272a84 3860XXXX

EDIT:

Code:
04272b64 3860XXXX
Thank you! How would I go about locating other values that are hard coded GFX or SFX? Unless its different for everything.

(sorry if these are dumb questions)

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Thank you! How would I go about locating other values that are hard coded GFX or SFX? Unless its different for everything.

(sorry if these are dumb questions)
You need to use Dolphin in debug mode and breakpoint the Textures_DisplayEffectTextures function to find where the effect comes from. You can just ask about others and I'll find them for you.

Sour-Slug

Smash Rookie
It's a hardcoded GFX,

Code:
04272a84 3860XXXX

EDIT:

Code:
04272b64 3860XXXX
Hey, I am new to this sort of thing, but want to learn how to edit things like this, so sorry if these questions seem obvious and sorry that I don't have the most knowledge on this.

Edit 1:looking at this again, I think I am doing this all completely wrong, will edit if I am correct on what I am thinking now
EDIT 2: not sure about my idea, just feel dumb atm lol

I assumed 04272a84 was the offset on the iso file itself. if I need to look in a different place then please tell me. when I go to that offset I see nothing resembling 3860, unless that is what I am inserting over where the offset takes me. (I did that, and unless I did it wrong, which is very possible, nothing changed). I don't see any hex equivalent values of 3860 either.
I thought I had a grasp on what I was doing, but I was wrong. if you would point me in the right direction that would help a lot. I'm bad at this right now, but if I can solve the problem I am having, I think I could figure it out in future circumstances.

thank you for the help so far :)

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Hey, I am new to this sort of thing, but want to learn how to edit things like this, so sorry if these questions seem obvious and sorry that I don't have the most knowledge on this.

Edit 1:looking at this again, I think I am doing this all completely wrong, will edit if I am correct on what I am thinking now
EDIT 2: not sure about my idea, just feel dumb atm lol

I assumed 04272a84 was the offset on the iso file itself. if I need to look in a different place then please tell me. when I go to that offset I see nothing resembling 3860, unless that is what I am inserting over where the offset takes me. (I did that, and unless I did it wrong, which is very possible, nothing changed). I don't see any hex equivalent values of 3860 either.
I thought I had a grasp on what I was doing, but I was wrong. if you would point me in the right direction that would help a lot. I'm bad at this right now, but if I can solve the problem I am having, I think I could figure it out in future circumstances.

thank you for the help so far :)
That's a gecko code, it's modifying an address in the start.dol. If you want to directly modify the value without using gecko, you need to convert the memory address to a dol offset. MCM has a tool for this.

8026F664 -> 0x26C244 in the start.dol
80272B64 -> 0x26F744 in the start.dol

Sour-Slug

Smash Rookie
That's a gecko code, it's modifying an address in the start.dol. If you want to directly modify the value without using gecko, you need to convert the memory address to a dol offset. MCM has a tool for this.

8026F664 -> 0x26C244 in the start.dol
80272B64 -> 0x26F744 in the start.dol
Thank you, I’m so bad at this stuff lol

Top Bottom