• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee/PM Player looking to play Roy.

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
Yo dudes whats up. Going to a smash4 tournament over the weekend that has Melee and going to enter it. I've entered smash4 tournaments before and go like 2-2 or 4-2 in bracket as roy usually. I don't really know too much about match ups or vanilla things with Roy, what are some things that I should be aware of? Like can I safely approach? Do I drop shield to punish or jump OoS to punish laggy stuff? Been playing Melee/PM competitively for like 3 1/2 years now so I have some fundamentals, just not sure on certain nuisances when it comes to this game as Roy.

Appreciative of any advice!

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Yo dudes whats up. Going to a smash4 tournament over the weekend that has Melee and going to enter it. I've entered smash4 tournaments before and go like 2-2 or 4-2 in bracket as roy usually. I don't really know too much about match ups or vanilla things with Roy, what are some things that I should be aware of? Like can I safely approach? Do I drop shield to punish or jump OoS to punish laggy stuff? Been playing Melee/PM competitively for like 3 1/2 years now so I have some fundamentals, just not sure on certain nuisances when it comes to this game as Roy.

Appreciative of any advice!
Roy is punishable if you put things on shield, but if you space things out a bit, you can make life hard for them getting in. Weaving around their space and their options with our excellent mobility will help you find an opening to get in and punish. Dtilt and tip nair are the safest on shield, especially when you fast fall the nair. If you buffer rising fair in your short hop, you can execute a double jump or a special move before you land, which can help you get away from landing lag. If you attempt to land, though, you will incur the landing lag for fair. Roy can start things out of throws, and out of falling aerials (falling uair, nair 1, and people are working with sour bair as well now), and his moves flow together, but a lot of them are more trappy in nature, rather than guaranteed, which can make things rough. Roy has low air acceleration, which you can combat by angling your control stick in the direction you want to go while you execute your jump squat (for retreating aerials). Otherwise, once you're in the air, it's hard to retreat because of the low acceleration, though you can if you use your double jump (which gives you acceleration in the direction you hold when executed).

As for punishing oos, Roy's grounded up+b has super armor on startup, and can power through some faster options like jabs and whatnot and kill. However, be careful not to use this option too much, or you could be baited and punished hard for it. Also, make sure you execute it properly. It has super armor and KO power grounded, but if you are actually in the air when you execute, you lose both, so it becomes a bad option then. I'd recommend saving blazer for kills, which happen at fairly high percents tbh. Jab and ftilt can punish some laggier options, jab as a combo starter, and ftilt can kill when sweeted. Grab also works, though it's range is meh in general, as well as jumping OOS and coming down with nair (rising nair is a bit problematic, especially on shorter chars, but falling nair works).

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head, at least. Hope this helps! :)

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
Roy is punishable if you put things on shield, but if you space things out a bit, you can make life hard for them getting in. Weaving around their space and their options with our excellent mobility will help you find an opening to get in and punish. Dtilt and tip nair are the safest on shield, especially when you fast fall the nair. If you buffer rising fair in your short hop, you can execute a double jump or a special move before you land, which can help you get away from landing lag. If you attempt to land, though, you will incur the landing lag for fair. Roy can start things out of throws, and out of falling aerials (falling uair, nair 1, and people are working with sour bair as well now), and his moves flow together, but a lot of them are more trappy in nature, rather than guaranteed, which can make things rough. Roy has low air acceleration, which you can combat by angling your control stick in the direction you want to go while you execute your jump squat (for retreating aerials). Otherwise, once you're in the air, it's hard to retreat because of the low acceleration, though you can if you use your double jump (which gives you acceleration in the direction you hold when executed).

As for punishing oos, Roy's grounded up+b has super armor on startup, and can power through some faster options like jabs and whatnot and kill. However, be careful not to use this option too much, or you could be baited and punished hard for it. Also, make sure you execute it properly. It has super armor and KO power grounded, but if you are actually in the air when you execute, you lose both, so it becomes a bad option then. I'd recommend saving blazer for kills, which happen at fairly high percents tbh. Jab and ftilt can punish some laggier options, jab as a combo starter, and ftilt can kill when sweeted. Grab also works, though it's range is meh in general, as well as jumping OOS and coming down with nair (rising nair is a bit problematic, especially on shorter chars, but falling nair works).

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head, at least. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks for the response! Sadly I wasn't put in the bracket so they made me go up against San who was the 1st seed haha. Ended up placing 13th which isn't too bad. Your advice was very appreciated! Gonna start actually putting time into smash4 and try too get godo with Roy. Another tournament this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Thanks for the response! Sadly I wasn't put in the bracket so they made me go up against San who was the 1st seed haha. Ended up placing 13th which isn't too bad. Your advice was very appreciated! Gonna start actually putting time into smash4 and try too get godo with Roy. Another tournament this weekend so we'll see how it goes.
Good luck! :) Let us know how it goes lol. If you want to play sometime online, I'd be up for some games lol. Also, have you joined the Roy discord yet?

Top Bottom