• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee or Smash 4?

Candles

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm brand new to Smash and want to learn how to play competitively. Should I learn Smash 4 or Melee? I'm not a fan of the DLC and changing nature of Smash 4, but I would like to play a game with a large scene and lots of tournaments. Would I be better off playing Melee or Smash 4?

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Dude, you can't even comprehend the magnitude of the ****storm you're entering by asking that question.

I personally think that Melee is a lot deeper.
There's a much higher skill ceiling, and you can definitely do much cooler stuff.
But because of that it will happen frequently that a guy will pick up a controller and wreck you so hard you'll feel sore for a week.

A lot of people really hate that.
If you are one of those people, play Sm4sh.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
You realize you're posting this in a Melee forum, right?

Play the two for roughly 1/2-3/4 a year, then stick with the one you're better at.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Tread carefully in this topic; if we're not careful, this thread might start looking like this one.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey guys! I'm brand new to Smash and want to learn how to play competitively. Should I learn Smash 4 or Melee? I'm not a fan of the DLC and changing nature of Smash 4, but I would like to play a game with a large scene and lots of tournaments. Would I be better off playing Melee or Smash 4?
guys its really simple. lets go through his criteria:

DLC: melee wins over smash 4
large scene: melee has more tournies as well as better and more profitable ones. think of pound, mlg, smash summit, etc.

if we acknowledge those two things that he was concerned about, melee is obviously the game to play. let's not get into the fact that melee is deeper, more challenging, has the better storyline, more competitive, more timeless, and just a far superior game. ;) if all you care about is dlc and tournies, there is more of a scene for melee as well as there is no dlc to worry about!

EDIT: not being biased but melee is the obvious choice based on what you are looking for!

DOUBLE EDIT: to be fair smash 4 offers things too. it has more characters, more stages, better graphics, and more of a chance for newcomers to make a splash in its scene. melee has been around for 15ish years where there are veterans that are hard to topple. smash 4 is relatively new and relatively easy to make a name in. its easier to play smash 4 and find more success in the tournament scene as compared to its veteran counterpart in melee. if you are looking for a game that has great characters, great stages, and the ability to [relatively] easily compete with the best, smash 4 is your game. if you want a game with an amazing history, that is challenging, with more money and prestige, more technical prowess, and you want to meet the likes of mango, armada, etc. melee is your game. trying to be unbiased as possible but melee presents a technical challenge and ceiling that no other smash game can compete with. who wouldnt want to meet the likes of mew2king, armada, mango, ppmd, hungrybox, leffen? ........... FINE...you dragged it out of me. i am biased. melee is obviously the game to play for every reason imaginable. ;)

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Do you wan't to feel like goku? play this game.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Ask your parents and relatives if you have a family history of carpal tunnel or hand problems. Even playing non spacies in melee can screw up your hands a bit, especially if you have preexisting conditions.

Also since this is a melee forum and the majority of these responses will tell you to pick melee, I'll play DA and mention that Sm4sh's online is a definite pro.

I personally find melee much more fluid and fun, but you really can't go wrong with either game.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
The tendency is for people who really love Melee stick to playing Melee, despite its age. If you can't distinguish the differences between Melee and Smash Wii U then you might be better off playing Wii U, at least in the short term.

I play Melee to near exclusivity but I've tried a few WiiU friendlies recently and found myself having a lot of fun.

Like standardtoaster said before, play whatever you like. Thats literally the only reason the Melee community is as big and great as it is. The love for Melee transcends the need for switching to other games. If you love Melee, play Melee- don't feel pressured into playing the other game because its 'newer' or shallow reasons like that, (and vice versa).

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
imo you can get better at competitive smash bros by playing melee, since there's so much more high quality content and higher average skill levels because of how developed the game is.

If you wanna play smash 4 still, you can use what you learned in melee to optimize your gameplay in smash 4 more easily.
either way its not like you have to choose between the two.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
1. You're posting this in a Melee forum, and not the Smash 4 one (you still only have 1 post), so I don't know why you'd expect anyone to tell you to pick Smash 4.

2. Why limit yourself to one?

Anyway, both scenes are plenty large, but Melee has more high profile eSports coverage and eSports events (example: the recent Smash Summit for Melee lacks an equivalent for Smash 4), at least currently.

Melee probably isn't getting DLC or patches anytime soon (last update was over a decade ago), and Smash 4's final DLC was months ago.

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
If you're looking for longevity, go with Melee. I have been playing the game competitively since 2013 and still to this day play for hours on end (I try to practice 1-2 hours a day at least if not longer). The game as other people mentioned is far more technical and skill oriented than Smash 4, but it really isn't that difficult to get into. The two main tricks you want to learn is WD, SH, and L-Cancel and really once you have that down you're pretty much down to learning the character you want to main. Smash 4 however has a lot more content and better graphics, but it feels sluggish (though I have seen some nice matches nonetheless) and I can only play the game for about 30 minutes before I get bored. So if you can't play both, play Melee.

Candles

Smash Rookie
1. You're posting this in a Melee forum, and not the Smash 4 one (you still only have 1 post), so I don't know why you'd expect anyone to tell you to pick Smash 4.

2. Why limit yourself to one?

Anyway, both scenes are plenty large, but Melee has more high profile eSports coverage and eSports events (example: the recent Smash Summit for Melee lacks an equivalent for Smash 4), at least currently.

Melee probably isn't getting DLC or patches anytime soon (last update was over a decade ago), and Smash 4's final DLC was months ago.
I had to pick a forum to post in haha

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
I know this is a melee forum but...

SMASH 4
It's easier to practice, easier to pick up, won't give you 20xx boneitis and its meta can be broken into easier because the game is so new. Of course patches tho but other than that pick sm4sh.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Play 64...

Nobody ever mentions that game.
Because very few people played that game. Competitive 64 was super small since the Smash community just started to get big when Melee was released, and Brawl and Sm4sh both got a large amount of people from previous games and new people hearing about the competitive Smash scene.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Because very few people played that game. Competitive 64 was super small since the Smash community just started to get big when Melee was released, and Brawl and Sm4sh both got a large amount of people from previous games and new people hearing about the competitive Smash scene.
I know, I was just messin. But OP should take everything said with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom