• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource Deprecated Guide - ignore thread

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
QUICK & SHORTER VERSION. NO TALK, JUST STEPS...

UNFINISHED!!!! Halp :0

SHOUTOUTS TO
Bizzozeron, Team Akaneia, & all you awesome Melee hackers

DOWNLOADS:

BLENDER - https://www.blender.org/ (3D Modeling Editor)
Source Plugin 4 Blender - http://steamreview.org/BlenderSourceTools/ (Blender plugin for Melee models)
mExTool - https://github.com/akaneia/mexTool/releases (CSS / Char imports / Organizer)
HSDRaw - https://github.com/Ploaj/HSDLib/releases (Main extractor for Chars, etc)
Melee Toolbox - http://toolboxcdn.lmao.rip/libzip/MeleeToolbox-5.0.1.7z (Tool pack with Dolphin etc)
Original YT Video from Bizzozeron: https://youtu.be/qAIsq7M9paI
Melee 1.02 iso (Google it)

===PART 1: PREPPING ORIG MELEE MODEL (REQUIRED)===

- Open m-Ex tool, then click FILE -- OPEN ISO. Open your Melee. Click YES. then FILE -- EXPORT AS -- FILESYSTEM. Close m-Ex tool.

- Open exported folder (called "files"). Press "P" to skip down to character (player) data files. This video uses Ness. Copy his Neutral (PlNsNr.dat) to your main folder or wherever you want.

- Open HSDraw. Drag PlNsNr.dat into HSDraw. Double Click PlyNess5K_Share_joint to 3D Ness skin on right. In middle HSDraw menu, click FILE -- EXPORT MODEL TO FILE -- (twice, first as NESS.dae, 2nd as NESS.smd) Close HSDraw.

- Open Blender. Click top EDIT -- PREFERENCES -- ADD-ONS (on right column) -- INSTALL... (at top) then click your Blender Source zip file from DOWNLOADS I put at top of this thread. Once selected, click INSTALL ADD ON button at bottom, then let it open, then click the check mark to activate it (called "Import Export: Blender Source"). Close this window.

- Now in main Blender panel, click top FILE -- IMPORT -- SOURCE ENGINE and click your NESS.smd to have rainbow patchy color Ness laying on ground. Just click his skin area (DONT click any joint dot) and then DEL to remove the skinmesh, leaving only dots.

- Now in main Blender, click top FILE -- IMPORT -- and your NESS.dae to see Metal Mario lookin @$$ ness. With everything on new Metal Ness highlighted orange, click the rotate button (dot with 2 circle lines and arrows going around it on left hand side vertical toolbar), and hold CRTL and click and drag your mouse on red X axis line to snap NESS into bone joints on ground, so he's laying on ground with joint dots aligned into his hands, feet and body etc. Should line up perfect, check finger bone dots to check easiest.

* TIP * move mouse into 3D Ness area, and type Z and then click MATERIAL PREVIEW to see what he really looks like, with skins etc. Don't worry if not perfect, just an estimate.

- Go to EDIT MODE. (IMPORTANT): TOP RIGHT MENU OF BLENDER IS CALLED COLLECTION MENU. In here, click arrow at bottom next to where it says NESS_skeleton to open dropdown. Then click dropdown arrow next to NESS_Skeleton (one with green person icon now). Useful Melee bones are called JOBJ_0 - JOBJ_13 etc. Click arrow next to JOBJ_0 ONLY IF nothing is below it. When you have Joint_0_Object_0 .... etc in a list, click Joint_0_Object_0, and then scroll down and SHIFT + CLICK last one #69 nice, then in top left of Blender, where it says OBJECT MODE... click EDIT MODE, then move cursor to 3D Ness area, hit DEL, and then click "Bones" in the menu that pops up.

- CAREFUL HERE!! Now reset to OBJECT MODE at top left of Blender. Now in COLLECTIONS MENU, drag bottom NESS_skeleton into top Collection, and then you can click bottom Collection called "NESS" and hit DEL. Now click dropdown arrow next to top (orange) ARMATURE, then click joint_0_object_0 and scroll all the way to bottom and then SHIFT + CLICK THE BOTTOM ONE (#69 here nice) and then CTRL + CLICK NESS_skeleton below it afterwards (BE VERYYY CAREFUL TO DO THAT IN CORRECT ORDER), then in 3D Ness area click CTRL + P then "WITH EMPTY GROUPS" and you can test by changing OBJECT MODE to POSE MODE and tools in left hand side vertical menu (ALWAYS PRESS CRTL+Z TO UNDO TEST BONE MOVEMENTS). (BEFORE pose mode: Rotate your character up 90degrees if he shifted to laying on the floor so hes lined up with skeleton dots.)

- (Reset to OBJECT MODE if you are in POSE MODE) Now SAVE as NESS.blend and go to
https://www.models-resource.com/wii/SuperSmashBrosBrawl/model/2846/ to download Lucas for this example (click his pic to DL). Extract the FitLucas00out.dae file and ALL PNG files into a folder called LUCAS.

==== PART 2 (IMPORTING MODEL) FINALLY YAYY!!!!====

- Now in Blender, with your laid-down Ness, make NEW COLLECTION (right click in collections top right menu). Now name new collection LUCAScollection, and click it, and go top main Blender FILE -- IMPORT -- DAE and import your FitLucas00out.dae and he will be laid out opposite to Ness and on his side. This Lucas should be in his own collection, and disappear if you UNcheck his LUCAScollection check box. Check it so he reappears.

- Click the leaves on Lucas's stick & press DEL. Click his stick & press DEL. Click the top and base of his stick that are floating & press DEL. Drag a box around all of Lucas in OBJECT MODE and use rotate tool with CTRL pressed to spin him along red axis to match Ness, then green axis to be laying inside ness facing same way. Then use the tool 2nd from top of left hand side vertical toolbar, with 4 arrows pointing out, to slide him directly back and down a bit into Ness (click and drag along the colored arrows to shift his location). Then press "S" to scale him a tiny bit smaller so his hands and feet and everything line up perfectly as possible into Ness, then click to set scale.

- UNcheck top COLLECTION so the NESS disappears. Now click Lucas's eyes, where it looks like he's wearing a black sleep mask, and press DEL so his face looks normal. Drag box around all of Lucas, with mouse in 3D area hit ALT+P then CLEAR AND KEEP TRANSFORMATION. Now click ARMATURE in COLLECTIONS MENU & hit DEL.

- HE GOES WAYYY TOO !($&@& FAST AT 13:19 WITH THIS VERTEX @#&&*@ HELP MEEEE & WAT IZ "SHADESMOOTH??" && HOW DO YOU TYPE COMMANDS, I HIT SPACE LIKE HIM BUT IT DOESNT LET ME TYPE COMMANDS :,(

- Now there's 4 "mesh0000" - 0004 in COLLECTIONS. Click first one "mesh0000" and in menu below COLLETIONS, on left hand side there's alot of icons vertically on the side. Scroll down & click the light blue wrench, then see ARMATURE with red man icon & click the X on that line to delete it, & do that for all 4. Now, below the light blue wrench, click the green upside down triangle with dots and see a downward pointing arrow on far right side here, and click it, then DELETE ALL GROUPS & do that for all 4 also.

- Now make another NEW COLLECTION & rename to TRASH. Now open top NESS collection & open ness_skeleton & click all his Joint_0_Object_0 - 69 nice with SHIFT + CLICK and then drag them into TRASH collection & UNcheck TRASH to hide NESS's body but keep skeleton joints for Lucas to get bound to next.

- Now open dropdown in LUCAScollection so the entries open below it (unless already there) and SHIFT + CLICK all Lucas's "mesh0000" - 0004 etc, (ALL) and move them into top collection, then, with them still highlighted, CTRL + CLICK NESS_skeleton right below it, then in 3D area do CTRL + P and click AUTOMATIC WEIGHTS. Now DEL old empty LUCAScollection. Since all bones line up pretty well here, we just need to make sure bone on floor between feet isn't being used.

- IMPORTANT: DIFFERENT ON EVERY CHAR / MODEL: (EDIT MODE) Find bones that look like they shouldn't be used. In this example, there's the backpack bone (since Lucas doesn't have a backpack), and the bone between his feet on the floor. We gotta find ID's of unused bones. Click (or drag box around) floor dot between Lucas's feet, now click under light blue wrench area, at bottom of this side icon panel, there's a green bone icon. Click it, and when you click a bone joint gray dot on Lucas, this section will tell you what JOBJ_13 etc number it is. The 13 or whatever it shows is the ID. So bad old ones we need to delete are: 61 (IDK), 46 (backpack), and 0 (root, floor one between feet). THIS STUFF WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR EVERY CHAR.

- If you haven't already, move all Lucas's "mesh0000" - 0004 etc (ALL) into top collection, & delete old empty LUCAScollection. Now click first "mesh0000" and go back down below light blue wrench area, click upside down green triangle (vertex menu) and
??? I DON"T HAVE REMOVE BUTTON??? click small Minus sign on right hand side to delete this _46 group. RIGHT??? IDK UNCONFIRMED

DO YOU DO THIS FOR ALL MESHES?? IT LOOKS LIKE HE JUST DOES THIS FOR ONE OR TWO A
ND MOVES TF ON???? Anyway I did it for all the 0000, 0002, 0003 & 0004 that I had.

- Now we gotta "normalize? / make = 1??" so Go EDIT MODE, maybe use some of the boxes at top so that you have Lucas's vertexes highlighted in orange (IDK HOW I DID THIS SORRY) and his head isn't selectable, just his body. Then drag around his whole body so vertexes and all lines are selected bright orange (not head) and go -- MENU SEARCH (or F3) and type NORMALIZE ALL then click small box that appears at bottom and UNcheck LOCK ACTIVE.

- Now hit F3, type LIMIT, hit LIMIT TOTAL, change the 4 in bottom box that appears to 2. Now hit F3 again, type NORMALIZE again, hit NORMALIZE ALL (so maybe you didn't have to do NORMALIZE before, since you did it here. Not sure, just following his video).

- Go EDIT MODE, and in middle 3D blender area, on top bar, on right side next to Collections menu (very hard to explain location w/o pic), there's 2 circles, one is filled in white. Click dropdown arrow next to this, and scroll down to Vertex Group Weights. Then put cursor in 3D area and hit "Z" and click Wireframe. IDK WHAT THIS IS CHECKING FOR. Stuff turns blue and purple.

WEIGHT PAINTING!!! LOOK UP WEIGHT PAINTING VIDEOS!!! IT'S ABOUT MAKING SURE EVERY SINGLE VERTEX IS WEIGHTED 100% (edit mode, drag box, select) to a bone for movement. There's a weight paint mode too.

- (23:51 -- DOESNT WORK) NOW CLICK ARMATURE IN OBJECT MODE AND THEN CLICK POSE MODE AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ROTATE STUFF LIKE LEGS ETC AND HAVE IT WORK!!! MINE DOESNT!!! DANG IT HOW DO I FIX THIS, WHAT NEEDS TO BE ATTACHED???

- If your pose mode didn't work, in POSE MODE click the first "mesh0000" and then CRTL+Click orange logo ARMATURE then in 3D area mouseover & do CTRL+P then click WITH AUTOMATIC WEIGHTS, and repeat this for "mesh0002-4" or however many you have also. Pose mode joint movements should work now. Remember to CTRL+Z to undo any movements.

=======PART 3: PUT INTO MELEE========

NOTE - I didn't even get this far yet. My part 2 keeps messing up. Lots of questions, I wish someone in this world could help me......

Blender export as flx, 0.01 selected objects (select all in 3D area first though), armature, mesh, uncheck bake animation & add leaf bones

open HSDraw and PlNsNr.dat and import model from file, don't change any settings that pop up,

EASIEST: Import into vanilla regular Melee 1.02 ISO with DAT Texture Wizard, then load up the game and pray to JEEEZUS that Lucas works somehow and that means this tutorial works!!!!! DISCLAIMER: IT DOESN'T FOR ME

Notes from Bradinator:

tip R X 90deg

import rainbow one, del skin

import metal mario one

Possible note to self: IF CRASHES, TRY DELETING JOBJ_0 FROM GREEN UPSIDE DOWN TRIANGLE MENU

(Still crashes, neither of us have been able to get anything to work in Melee without startup crash yet, btw)

...continuing... ...making progress...

Updated guide here:

Last edited:

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
I appreciate stuff like this. especially when it's put on the boards.

does anyone have any pointers for getting mEX running under wine on linux?

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
Thanks, definitely trying.

If possible anyone can help with the parts I marked in red,

I feel like I'm getting farther today than yesterday, still hitting minor roadblocks.

What happens for you when you unzip the github release on Wine, and execute the .EXE?

Last edited:

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
Thanks, definitely trying.

If possible anyone can help with the parts I marked in red,

I feel like I'm getting farther today than yesterday, still hitting minor roadblocks.

What happens for you when you unzip the github release on Wine, and execute the .EXE?
it gives me a dotnet error. do you what version of dotnet framework it's dependant on?

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
Hmm not sure about that, I don't think it came with any pre-req's in the zip like some other programs here do sometimes. Maybe just try installing the newest one, included with Windows but Linux probably wouldn't have that by default

Top Bottom