• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Might Die: A Rebuttal to "Why Melee Won't Die"

This originally appeared as a post on /r/ssbm, the Melee subreddit. The original post in its entirety can be found here. It has been reworked for formatting on Smashboards with minor edits to be posted here.

---​

I want to preface this opinion piece by stating the obvious: HugS is a far more outstanding and knowledgeable community member than myself. He's seen it all from the beginning to the present and I'm some 09'er, and if I were you I would value his opinion over mine. I'm also limiting my scope to what I think our community is actually capable of controlling. For example, eSports unexpectedly dying in the next 15 years is not something to worry about unless it happens. Maybe we should worry about that.

I enjoyed HugS's piece, published in MeleeItOnMe October 9th, however I believe his optimism is warranted only on a superficial level, and I think his arguments suffer from unclear chronology. Their problem is that they speak more to the question of why Melee is currently alive and how it got here rather than why it won't die at some point in the future, which HugS readily admits is a possibility in his opening. On a long enough timeline Melee's death is certain, but that doesn't tell us anything useful. To be absolutely clear, here's my proposed timeline. Melee deserves at least a century of play, and it deserves to be big. Not just eSport big, but Olympics big, NCAA big.

What follows is predicated on anything short of a Melee century being considered an early death. Can you plan that? Probably not, but then again I have no doubt that right now major community members are collaborating with industry professionals to try to accomplish just that. It's what we all want, and the potential for profit is significant. They are inevitably going to run into obstacles that can't be beaten with a reddit fundraiser, or a Facebook campaign, or even all the familiar faces coming out to rally us for a Spirit Bomb, Gods throwing down in the background... There is a timeline where Melee dies, and to be proactive about avoiding it we need to identify those obstacles and learn as much as we can about them before they ever present a real problem. The only tested and proven method for keeping Melee alive through tough times is having an informed and active community ready to go on a moment's notice.

Melee Welcomed Back To EVO 2013​

In a skype conversation with Scar in 2013 he asked me about the future of Melee, and I basically paraphrased HugS's article. This was during the EVO drive. I was feeling what everyone was feeling. This is it, the return of the Eternal Game. The prospect of Melee back at the biggest fighting game stage in the world was the culmination of a nearly six-year effort to keep the fire burning and all of us, new members and old, got to enjoy an enormous payoff. Ever pull off a huge comeback against your rival? It felt something like that, but for the whole community, and the feeling didn't go away. Melee as an institution felt and still feels invincible.

Before you keep reading, I need you to let go of that feeling and see the game and the scene with fresh eyes for a second, because if Melee is really going to be the game that lives, the people who will keep it alive haven't even picked up a controller yet. If you don’t keep these people in mind when you discuss the future of Melee, you aren’t discussing the future of Melee. No matter how storied a community might be, if it doesn’t attract enough new players to grow then it will die, but we’re a little more ambitious than mere survival, right?

Here are HugS's main points and a summary of their contents below.

1. "Support From Major Esports Players"
- Our multiple sponsors support and genuinely love Melee, thus they are incentivized to prevent its death.

2. "Resistance to Sequel Replacement"
- Having survived two sequels Melee is ostensibly a standalone title until an HD rerelease/true successor.

3. "Ease of Viewership and Story Lines"
- The human drama and on-screen action of Melee is attractive to general audiences irrespective of specific game knowledge.

4 "Community-based Upbringing"
- Melee is a social binding agent that has cemented a foundation of dedicated community organizers who are also best friends, who won't let each other down by allowing Melee to die

Let's go through them briefly.

1. Our sponsors love and support Melee right now, but we're also a hot commodity right now. They may support us through a rough patch if something happens and viewership declines, but only up to a point. Some of the employees of said sponsors may be fanatics like us, just as enthused and ready to lend a hand. Some might even have significant clout in their respective organizations that they use for Melee's benefit. The love of those individuals reflects neither the will of the shareholders, nor is it any assurance of continued support; to them we are an engine for success. These are their jobs and they cannot support decisions that their numbers say are wrong. We cannot ascribe notions of human loyalty to for-profit entities. They will do what they need to do to survive, as should we. We are well-positioned to profitably coexist with a number of them, but this is sustenance, not insurance. This is a symptom of success, not a cause.

2. This trait is demonstrably a major factor in Melee's staying power; the metagame chugs on ceaselessly while technical wizards like Dan Salvato demonstrate that Melee can be adapted to have increased functionality for a new generation of competitors. If Melee is to survive a century, it's going to need to adapt, and we’re going to need oversight over that adaptation. The elephant in the room is Nintendo. They have the final say over the distribution of what is legally their content. They can prevent us from changing the game if we need to. They can split the community any time they want by re-releasing Melee with the slightest of changes. They're a bull in a china shop, and there's a reckoning to be had over whose game this really is. Until we resolve this Melee will always have two directions, ours and theirs.

Can I even mention PM? Is the gag on? Nintendo may play dumb with their official silence but they've had plenty of chances to take legal action that would lead to PM being an officially approved Nintendo mod, thus giving the game its own life and ensuring tournaments for ostensible Nintendo fans, maybe even making new ones in the process. Instead, they choked the distribution of PM videos and forced tournaments to drop the game once they started officially sponsoring them.

3. This is absolutely true but isn’t unique to Melee. If people start playing other games the stories will follow. Melee also doesn’t have the benefit of next-gen graphics, which shouldn’t be a factor but still might be when it comes to future spectating.

4. Members of the Smash Community reiterate fairly often how exceptional the community they belong to and the games they play are, and can you blame them? Confirmation is everywhere. We are in a growth state. Here is a prevailing pattern of logic I encounter when talking to other fanatics about Melee's Cinderella story: The game is close to perfect for playing and spectating -> players and audiences are more passionate -> they are more willing to organize for the community in their free time + large Nintendo install fanbase -> Melee hits player activism critical mass and gains superpowers. This is the logic underpinning "Why Melee Won't Die", and it doesn't paint a complete picture.

The notion that Melee fanatics feel more strongly about their game than other gamers feel about their games is tempting, but narcissistic. Perhaps most fans would never say this out loud or consciously admit it to themselves, but they feel that they love their game the most, and most Melee players I know freely admit it, AND the incredible streak of activism the Melee community has become known for seems to confirm it. Melee would never ask of us, "What have you done for me lately?" We unquestionably love our game and everything else seems to flow from this constant activity born of love. The reason sponsors are really interested in us? We get things done. Where other communities flounder, we succeed. And we look damn good when we succeed because the love is real.

The problem with this narrative, and this is going to hurt some people, is that being an activist for Melee has been made easier and easier over the years, and is particularly easy if you are middle class, which many smashers happen to be. Melee activism is highly facilitated, as HugS notes, by one of the tightest and most highly functioning groups of friends in the world as well as countless passionate TO's, artists, musicians, modders, and competitors. When you donate to Melee related causes, the numbers are fairly small and you can make a tangible difference with a small contribution, but there are also many larger donors among us. You can make a world of difference at locals just driving TV’s or people around. TO’ing is something anyone can get into thanks to readily available online guides written by the best TO’s in the business.

Don’t get me wrong, we wouldn't be where we are without the hard work of all of those individuals, regardless of their economic status, but communities have worked harder than us and fallen short. Passion is not the the deciding factor. If our community hadn't been at the forefront of game capture, video on demand, and social media activism/organization due largely to the socioeconomic status of its members, then the work of those TO's might not have carried us through the dark ages. This is my take on the beautiful accident. I'm not totally discounting the prevailing narrative, but I think this is how it needs to be reframed if we're to identify the real threats to Melee's continued growth.

...which I still haven't really explained, so here's what I'm afraid will limit the growth of Melee this century:

A. The Metagame Isn't As Resilient As We Think

It has been said before that Melee has a hard limit and a soft limit, the theoretical skill cap and peak human performance, respectively. At the moment the metagame on the international stage is particularly diverse, even vibrant. The best character, Fox, does not perform that much better than the other top tiers and players like Axe and aMSa are reimagining the midtiers and getting results. The worst you can say about the character spreads at most major top 8's is that they're healthy. For now, the soft limit indicates that the game is highly unbalanced, but not broken. As much of a joke as it has become, there's a real possibility this won't always be the case due to training tools like 20XX pushing the soft limit higher and higher. What will 10 years bring? 50? What then might the soft limit look like? The only thing one can say with any probability is that it will tend towards the hard limit.

When I say Melee will need to adapt, this is one of the things I'm talking about. Nevermind that half the cast has little tourney representation at all because they're terrible or bugged. If the metagame stales and one or two characters maintain dominance over major placings for too long, then we lose out on the excitement of the all-star Nintendo cast, we lose out on rare and beautiful playstyles and interactions, and ultimately we will lose out on new community members who want a more balanced game. I genuinely don't know if Melee can survive something like this because even if the game could be patched, it probably wouldn't be because:

B. Melee Fanatics Are Obstinate

I once asked a prominent New York City TO whether Melee would benefit from a balance patch. He told me he’d rather have only the top four characters with the current settings than change a single thing to balance the rest of the cast. Melee is too sacred, even its less worthwhile aspects. Without getting into a whole thing about whether L-canceling adds depth, let’s just say that it becomes extremely linear when you realize you can spam light shield before you land without consequence. Rather than being a feature, it’s actually a safety valve. Without L-canceling the hard and soft limits are much closer together and Fox is very easily the best, rather than the character with the best results for the most work. Altering the inputs of Melee is blasphemy, but it may become necessary, because we now know that:

C. Melee Destroys Hands

As a classical guitarist I was lucky that I already knew the importance of taking care before performing lots of sharp, repetitive hand motions. Awareness of this issue and associated precautions are far more widespread than they've ever been. Other games also have this issue, however, because of its low payouts and high barrier to competitive entry, Melee is a high risk, low reward game to get into. This is the most pressing threat to continued growth.

We can't assume that new players will ever see Melee the way we do. Remember, fresh eyes. My generation played casual Melee, so competitive Melee looked like super heroics by comparison. This hasn't been the case for a while. Without recency OR nostalgia to aid us, the games that are more lucrative, less costly investments (in terms of time and health) will win out over Melee to be the big games of eSports. As a standalone, eternal game we are in an extremely unique position vis a vis player acquisition, and Melee has performed more than admirably in attracting new players, but we cannot overcome being a terrible investment, and waiting for our prize pools to make up the difference is some seriously passive play.

D. Nintendo

The wild card. Nintendo doesn't even act as logical as most corporations because their enormous cash reserves allow them to operate in the red for long periods of time. The potential for legal action against us is real, the threat of a divisive remake is real, and the communication between the community and the company has been mixed. Nintendo may ultimately help us more than they hurt, but there's no certainty. They have the power until we/they emancipate Melee.

In Conclusion

I stick to the saying that you don't present a problem without also presenting a solution. To take Melee to the next level, to immediately banish any doubt of its immortality, I propose we beat EVO in 2017 by putting on a bigger Melee tournament than they can (not at the same time, obviously). Beat EVO and we show the world that this game is bigger than the fighting game eSports niche it has settled into. The Melee community hasn't gotten together to do something really big in a while, which leads to:

E. Community Complacency

It hasn't happened yet, but I've seen signs. It's great to reflect on our accomplishments, to take pride in our victories, but we do that enough already and in order to keep signifying to the world and our sponsors that we're still the can-do community, we need to keep doing. Smashers are putting the sweat of their prime years into maintaining this dynamo, but they aren't enough to keep growing it by themselves. The only way Melee gets its century is if more TO's step up, build communities, replace the old guard, populate the world with new Melee players so that when Super Smash Con, or whatever becomes of Apex, or a brand new national series start their booking process, they're booking for 2,000 entrants, even 3,000. Once again, the only tested and proven method for keeping Melee alive through tough times is having an informed and active community ready to go on a moment's notice. Times aren't so tough now, so let's show the world what we can really do. We just have to watch out for:

F. Top Player Burnout

I'm pretty sure that's the next level. Let me know why I'm wrong below.

---​

This piece is purely the opinion of its author, and does not reflect the position of Smashboards or its affiliates. Additional shoutouts to NPR|Willie for his eyeballs, SmashCapps for taking an interest, and the whole NOLA crew.

Last edited:

Comments

these articles are so silly lol hella clickbait titles too.

While the beginning seems out there, the rest shows that it's a well thought out article. Not that clickbaity to me, just the right amount of attention grab with straightforwardness.

Scary article, a lot of valid points raised...

but I think as long as we can find a way to make melee accessible to the new generation, and Nintendo continues to pump out smash games to keep the hype alive, we can keep melee alive.

I know of many rnodern-day smashers who don't own a gamecube, or even a copy of melee, but play on NetPlay through dolphin.

I think as long as we can find ways to easily play melee without the need of outdated tech (like CRTs) then we can keep the dream alive :)

best case scenario: Nintendo releases Melee on virtual console on wii u or nx, I think the community would see a big spike in players that way

While the beginning seems out there, the rest shows that it's a well thought out article. Not that clickbaity to me, just the right amount of attention grab with straightforwardness.
Melee Is Definitely Not Going to Die: A Reubuttal to Melee Might Die: Electric Boogaloo

The death of Melee is inevitable, we just need to agree on a time-frame when discussing its decline. Eventually, all the current top smashers will die, people will talk about the good ol' days, and Melee, like countless things before it, will be forgotten and replaced with something better.
I'm sure Cave-men thought throwing rocks at bigger rocks was the best thing ever. That hobby has lost it's popularity and has been replaced by countless other/better things.
So look on the bright-side, we still have plenty of time, interest, and man-power to keep the Melee community alive and well for a long time to come.

... at least until 20XX happens and everyone plays Fox and viewership dies too.

Last edited:
And how can you take care of your hands? Some stretches or...? What even destroy our hands? Because we press too hard on the buttons?

Melee will not die. It's the reason why competitive Smash 4 is a thing. Hell, it's the reason why our community are in constant flame wars.
>The whole "Melee Vs. Smash 4/Brawl" debate

Wow. You think it'll die in about a century? l've obviously underestimated this game. Then again, this is the same game that's still alive after about 15 years... Hmm.

I'm fine with clickbait articles if it raises a good point, like Omni's why smash 4 will die video, even if alot of it wasn't really true and quite the opposite happened.

He was trying to raise awareness for some traits, like this article is. I like this one more because the awareness is more focused on some legitimate issues, where as the Omni article/video was focused on rulesets and what needed to be done with changed.

I'm ok with Omni or others doing clickbait if it is to raise awareness, here I like it more because it actually has some more relevant points.

Outdated tech with CRTVs, resistance to change even if it is in Melee itself, the metagame, new blood into the scene, etc. These are legitimate things to be concerned of.

Are they an issue right now? No, Melee is as big as it has even been. But these are issues to thing about for the future as to how Melee might tapper off.

Some of these can be fixed, release on virtual console that is better than Smash 64's virtual console release which has issues. Then the whole versioning issue which might come up with that and make people hate it on that alone if NA got the PAL version instead of an NTSC. Keeping new people to go into it, etc.

These are legit issues and bringing these up I like more than Omni's video because Omni brought up an issue that not only did I think was wrong inherently, it's an issue every smash game had happen, but it also was doing it in a way that I thought was way too clickbait and off basis.

This article more so focuses on that core issue and what can be done to help Melee out more and what some core issues would be with that.

Still things to think about even if I think they are not core issues right now.

This is stupid clickbait b.s nonsense. Competitive melee will eventually die, but it's not even close to that point yet. It's actually bigger than it ever has been, bigger tournaments, bigger prize pools.

Not to mention the garbage watered down ****ty gameplay in brawl and smash 4. (My opinion, suck it) gives anybody who wants a challenge more of an incentive to switch to melee. (Or PM)

Melee lasted longer than Brawl (by a long shot) and it's going to last longer than smash 4.

The only way I see melee dying is if we get a new smash game in the 2020s that's actually good. Which probably won't happen.

Long live melee. \m/

Last edited:
Wow... I knew it destroyed the joystick, but not the hands!

But I guess it won't be an issue for me, as my hands are quite lax when I play. I basically just press just enough for the button to register a command, and I don't even press the shoulder trigger down to half when I L-Cancel. And I play Bowser, so less commands lol.

Anyway, on the subject - at this point, I'm pretty sure Melee will live longer than Smash 4, after the "new" effect wear off. We still have new players every day. I know that smash 4 is currently bigger, but it lacks advanced techniques, and is slower. But yep, only time will tell.

Predictions without specific timeframes are boring because they can always be retroactively reinterpreted to fit whatever happens. This applies to both HugS's piece and this one.
:tired:

But I guess it won't be an issue for me, as my hands are quite lax when I play. I basically just press just enough for the button to register a command, and I don't even press the shoulder trigger down to half when I L-Cancel. And I play Bowser, so less commands lol.

Anyway, on the subject - at this point, I'm pretty sure Melee will live longer than Smash 4, after the "new" effect wear off. We still have new players every day. I know that smash 4 is currently bigger, but it lacks advanced techniques, and is slower. But yep, only time will tell.
genesis 3 has more players signed up for melee than smash 4.

Fun how the original Hugs article wasn't featured but the over drammatic response was. It's like Smashboards wants to see flame wars on their comments. As for thr article itself, I think we should stop worrying about Melee in 50 years and worry about Melee in 2015 aka the present.

This is stupid clickbait b.s nonsense. Competitive melee will eventually die, but it's not even close to that point yet. It's actually bigger than it ever has been, bigger tournaments, bigger prize pools.

Not to mention the garbage watered down ****ty gameplay in brawl and smash 4. (My opinion, suck it) gives anybody who wants a challenge more of an incentive to switch to melee. (Or PM)

Melee lasted longer than Brawl (by a long shot) and it's going to last longer than smash 4.

The only way I see melee dying is if we get a new smash game in the 2020s that's actually good. Which probably won't happen.

Long live melee. \m/
the salt is real lol

The death of Melee is inevitable, we just need to agree on a time-frame when discussing its decline.
Predictions without specific timeframes are boring because they can always be retroactively reinterpreted to fit whatever happens. This applies to both HugS's piece and this one.
:tired:
Well it's a good thing the author of this piece did that!
What follows is predicated on anything short of a Melee century being considered an early death.

"What follows is predicated on anything short of a Melee century being considered an early death."

Well that's a pretty silly premise.

What even destroy our hands? Because we press too hard on the buttons?
I remember the little Propeller Shy Guy mini-game in Mario Party where you had to rotate the control stick as many times as possible. To this day, there is a little mark on my hand that reminds me of the bruise I get for rotating that control stick like a kid on a huge sugar rush.

Depending on some characters (as you mentioned with Bowser), it doesn't take too much button presses and such to do your thing. But characters that requires a lot of inputs is gonna leave a mark on someone that like to press harder than usual on their controller. Sounds uncommon, but it's a slightly growing problem to the uninformed.

M3lee w1ll nev3r d1e b3cau5e 0f n0st4lgic ppl c4n't acc3pt th4t s4kurai w1ll n3ver make another game like melee. Melee is the oldest esport that people play. You don't see people playing cod 4 or halo 2. Smashers are too nostalgic. #facts
And this is starting to become like complex news. Reporting on anything. Take this L
Edit: I like how reason 2 says "true successor". Definitely a melee elitist.

Last edited:
When I say Melee will need to adapt, this is one of the things I'm talking about. Nevermind that half the cast has little tourney representation at all because they're terrible or bugged. If the metagame stales and one or two characters maintain dominance over major placings for too long, then we lose out on the excitement of the all-star Nintendo cast, we lose out on rare and beautiful playstyles and interactions, and ultimately we will lose out on new community members who want a more balanced game. I genuinely don't know if Melee can survive something like this because even if the game could be patched, it probably wouldn't be
This is exactly why I don't play it. Not only is the game's skill ceiling too high, the fact that it's not balanced at all makes it extremely boring to me. I'd much rather play any character I want and know that they are at least decently viable (think of Pikachu and Samus as that near-perfect middle ground where they're not really the best but are still usable), and develop and express my own playstyle with my character of choice, rather than having to use one of 10 overused characters to even "survive" in Melee's metagame.
I like watching Melee but it's because of reasons like these that I'll never be interested enough in playing it, which is why I favor Smash 4 (despite the lackluster gameplay in comparison) and PM (before dropping it in favor of Smash 4), because not only do they offer a bigger roster, but more characters are actually usable and it's this kind of variety that makes Smash fun for me regardless of how "perfect" another game's gameplay may be.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I don't play it. Not only is the game's skill ceiling too high, the fact that it's not balanced at all makes it extremely boring to me. I'd much rather play any character I want and know that they are at least decently viable like Pikachu and Samus, and develop and express my wn playstyle with my character of choice, rather than having to use one of 10 overused characters to even "survive" in Melee's metagame.
I like watching Melee but it's because of reasons like these that I'll never be interested enough in playing it, which is why I favor Smash 4 (despite the lackluster gameplay in comparison) and PM (before dropping it in favor of Smash 4).
On the same boat. Melee is interesting to watch, but not nearly diverse enough for me to play. I can't use any of the characters I even like to use. :/

No. this is not true. the meta game is progressing. it's not about the matchups in the game anymore or how balanced it is. It's now all about player vs player. Melee is what it is because of the players and what the community has gone through to get to where we are now. The community is now getting sponsored by nintendo, and new things are still being discovered. Besides, no game dies until the last copy is gone.

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me
A day may come when the hands of men fails,
when we forsake our tech skill
and break all bonds of fellowship,
but it is not this day.
An hour of Foxes and shattered shields,
when the age of melee comes crashing down,
but it is not this day!

Just a quote from HugS' original article :
Resistance to Sequel Replacement

Melee is in an extremely unique situation from most other games. It has survived two successors. That’s not to say that successors like Smash Wii U are in the way of Melee. Smash Wii U has been growing its own independent community and it’s been fantastic. What I’m saying is, Melee has become completely independent, and the competitive community has recognized Melee as its own unique game. At this point, expecting Melee to die because of a sequel is the equivalent of expecting Hearthstone to die because of a new Halo release. We’ve evolved into a self-sustaining sport where people aren’t looking forward to the next iteration, they’re satisfied with this one.

The only successor that would replace Melee is an actual Melee successor, such as Melee HD or Melee 2.0, which we’d gladly welcome. If a true Melee successor is released, then my point stands, Melee survives and thrives even further
"So Melee will not die because it has survived its successors, but if a successor kills Melee then Melee will not die because it will live through its successor !"

Needless to say I stopped here and hence won't read the reddit reply.

Good night everyone.

Long live melee. \m/
I honestly never can tell if you're a would-be troll struggling for attention, or a deranged Melee fan with an unhealthy obsession for the game.

Last edited:
It's taken for granted that this game is watchable and understandable for noobs, but I'm an oldb, and I find it too damn fast.

Repetitive Stress Injuries are no joke. Musicians and people who work with computers get them all the time. Use anything enough and it will start to wear out, especially as you age. I've been playing video games all my life, and these days, at 37 years old, my arm gets all tingly if I play a 3ds for more than a few hours, and stays tingly for like a day. I imagine if I put in the insane hours to practice the insane motions Melee requires, my hands would be going much faster.

Take care of your hands while you're young and they'll serve you better as you age (unless you can make a real living at this game -- building up a college/retirement fund for when you get older might be more important). If it hurts, taker a break and stretch. If it really hurts or swells, stop and ice it down. You'll thank yourself later on in life.

Last edited:
The people that actually are taking this guy's words seriously are stupid beyond repair. None of this journalist tool's "points" actually supply evidence, there are nothing but statements with no substance to back it up. You say "Melee Destroys Hands", and then give no evidence as to why it destroys hands, and why it's an issue that can't be fixed. You say "The Metagame isn't As Resilient as We Think", and not tell us why that is the case. This makes it come off as a worthless clickbait post which, frankly, is truly all that this article is.

The only valid thing I got from this was that the future of Melee relies on what the newer players do in order to keep the game moving forward, but that's a "well no **** Sherlock" kind of answer that doesn't require any deep thinking to realize. So there goes your only credibility.

I can't imagine what this idiot says about other topics if this is the trash that is being put on the front page of Smashboards.

good job guys, whining about the title w/o discussing its valid points and argument

what a great community.......

:150:

Top Bottom