• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Mewtwo 2ndary here

Mewtwo is:

• Total voters

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
I secondary'd Mewtwo and loved playing as him despite his obv flaws (I mained Ice Climbers). In fact, a part of my loyalty stemmed from his underpowered nature.

Since then I've taken to playing the underdogs in Melee, Brawl and now Project M. idk why, really. But now with M2 seriously buffed, I feel bad playing him. Similarly in Brawl, I thought Metaknight looked cool, but I couldn't play him cuz of how broken he was.

I'm not saying M2's broken, but now that he's jumped into the high tiers I can't play him anymore. Does anyone else feel this way about any newly-buffed chars or am I just overthinking things?

Master Raven

Smash Master
Needs rebalance on his disjointed tail and weight. Other than that though I think he's fine. Lots of people think his teleport is also too strong but I have no idea how you could balance something like that.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
I appreciate the replies, but nobody's answering my question... Does anyone feel the same way I do about the buffed characters, that they can't play them cuz they don't require as much skill to be good with them?

Master Raven

Smash Master
I don't feel that way. I'm actually happy M2 is a top tier character now because I like winning with my favorite characters. While it's easier for M2 to win since he got hugely buffed, the actual skill ceiling is still decently high enough that you can't just pick him up on the go and start beating everyone with him.

Last edited:

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Ever since the Emukiller stuff went down, everyone's been saying he's super OP. It does bother me a little, but not enough to switch characters. I'm gonna enjoy this while it lasts lol, we Melee vets deserve it. Them Melee days were tough!

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
Everyone mistakes Project m as being full of buffed characters rather than what it actually is, a balanced roster with all characters possessing combo potential. The main thing PM changed about mewtwo and the thing everyone complains about/praises the most is his ability to act out of teleport, or his recovery move. An ability that snake, sonic, G&W, kind of MK and rob, Kirby if he uses is horizontal cutter, wolf and wario if they hit their side special, and lucario given he has an aura charge, all have. And contrary to what @ Ceph Ceph said about buffed characters/Mewtwo requiring not as much skill to play with, Mewtwo, along with most other top tier characters, require many advanced techniques and tech skill in order to win/play as efficiently as possible, making that statement completely wrong. Mewtwo for example, utilizes DJCs, hover cancels and acting/hovering out of teleport. Not to mention the difficulty it is to preform his ledgestall and attacking while hovering whether or not a player uses a finger button to jump. People need to stop complaining about how "OP" some characters are and get better at their own characters. Emukiller was definitely beatable. If any of you watched his match with ESAM, you would have seen how he easily reads EMUs teleports and would throw out a samus upsmash for a free KO/free damage. I once played some friendlies with a Roy on netplay and in between a match he told me "M2 players think they are so sneaky by teleporting behind me, but I'll just throw an Fsmash for a free hit" This is a perfect example of not complaining about the gimmicks of other characters but rather dealing with them the way they should. If anyone needs another example of how easy it is to read teleports/deal with mewtwo watch ESAM vs M2K Xanadu grand finals.

Last edited:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Everyone mistakes Project m as being full of buffed characters rather than what it actually is, a balanced roster with all characters possessing combo potential. The main thing PM changed about mewtwo and the thing everyone complains about/praises the most is his ability to act out of teleport, or his recovery move. An ability that snake, sonic, G&W, kind of MK and rob, Kirby if he uses is horizontal cutter, wolf and wario if they hit their side special, and lucario given he has an aura charge, all have. And contrary to what @ Ceph Ceph said about buffed characters/Mewtwo requiring not as much skill to play with, Mewtwo, along with most other top tier characters, require many advanced techniques and tech skill in order to win/play as efficiently as possible, making that statement completely wrong. Mewtwo for example, utilizes DJCs, hover cancels and acting/hovering out of teleport. nNt to mention the difficulty it is to preform his ledgestall and attacking while hovering whether or not a player uses a finger button to jump. People need to stop complaining about how "OP" some characters are and get better at their own characters. Emukiller was definitely beatable. If any of you watched his match with ESAM, you would have seen how he easily reads EMUs teleports and would throw out a samus upsmash for a free KO/free damage. I once played some friendlies with a Roy on netplay and in between a match he told me "M2 players think they are so sneaky by teleporting behind me, but I'll just throw an Fsmash for a free hit" This is a perfect example of not complaining about the gimmicks of other characters but rather dealing with them the way they should. If anyone needs another example of how easy it is to read teleports/deal with mewtwo watch ESAM vs M2K Xanadu grand finals.
You're right, it takes a lot of skill to be efficient with M2. I never really thought about that because I generally avoided playing M2 to begin with, but after watching high-level M2's and comparing them to my noobish M2, I can see that a lotta skill is required.

That being said, would you say his metagame growth potential is closely balanced with everyone else?

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
That being said, would you say his metagame growth potential is closely balanced with everyone else?
I'm not sure what you mean by growth potential, because Mewtwo's meta game grew immensely from melee to PM. I don't know how many new things will be discovered if there is anything left, which is why I'm not sure if he has growth "potential." With a balanced roster you either have a whole roster of bad characters or a whole roster of good characters, but if they're all balanced, it really doesn't matter. Obviously PM is not completely balanced but Mewtwo's part in that doesn't contribute towards PM being unbalanced.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Oh, by "growth potential" I essentially mean does he still have a lot of untapped potential. Some characters seem to have mechanics that lead to many good advanced techniques, such as Squirtle's shellshifting and Sonic's side-B canceling.

However, other characters seem limited in potential. For example, Kirby is a good character, but I don't see any techniques that could give him an edge over his opp. The key to being good with Kirby is being, well, just plain good. At the basics, at least. Lucario, on the other hand, with his Turbo-like combos, leads me to believe that in the right hands he'll leap up on the tier list.

Then there's chars like Toon Link, who no matter how much I try, I only see him as a weak Link (badum tshh). Project M is much more balanced than Melee, but also much younger, so eventually certain chars will leap and others will fall behind due to their limitations, perhaps to the point of unviability in high-level play. Thankfully they're updating now & then to continue balancing the roster, tho.

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of people have knee jerk reactions that this or that character is OP when it goes from never played to popular. I can think of a million examples in all of the games I've played over the years of stuff like this happening. I think mewtwo is strong right now, but we should give it a little while before we claim that he is OP and needs to be nerfed. Even in these past few months of me maining mewtwo I've gone from being pretty much unedgeguardable to having many TPs be predicted and countered by something like a short hop nair. At one point my friends called it broken OP, but they've adapted and I think a lot of mewtwo's kit will be figured out better eventually. Just give it time.

PajamasM

Smash Cadet
I personally have no problem with the teleport if not for the fact that you can float out of it, because at least with the djc you are forced to do a falling aerial on someone's shield allowing for a possible punish, but with float you can just rise up and be out of harms way.

Zimflare

Smash Apprentice
I personally have no problem with the teleport if not for the fact that you can float out of it, because at least with the djc you are forced to do a falling aerial on someone's shield allowing for a possible punish, but with float you can just rise up and be out of harms way.
But then you could just hold jump and do a rising aerial....

PajamasM

Smash Cadet
But then you could just hold jump and do a rising aerial....
I thought that was only the case with the pk twins and yoshi, I can never rising aerial w/o djcing for whatever reason. I could be wrong though

Top Bottom