• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Light | Browser Based Melee Clone | Play the beta

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

PLAY : http://ikneedata.com/meleelight

DOWNLOAD :
Windows : https://mega.nz/#!qQYywbCL!pshs77Vyc2aW6YSvOfo-eDJ5JWA0v9AXSIUdi9x60m4
Mac : https://mega.nz/#!rA5CmCRZ!T-rxf_MLXfXJV70mLSEsbWz0o5nFDAof9XTJ3r4MEvM
Linux : https://mega.nz/#!2ZpRBCCD!kONGzcvfMycLgdvpxQHvOWnxgMoAAqZDNF1Tn-9ZWNc

If using mayflash adapter, switch to PC mode. You may need to refresh the page or restart your browser
If using official adapter, install vJoy drivers (http://m4sv.com/page/wii-u-gcn-usb-driver) and play on Firefox
Any other controller please PM me

Play as Marth, Puff and Fox on 4 Melee stages!

Earn medals on target test and complete against your own personal best and the world record!

Build your own target stages!

Knockback and movement using Melee's own dimensions and formulas for smooth gameplay.

Melee tech implemented : Wavedash, waveland, ledgedash, l-cancel, autocancel, short hop/full hop, moonwalk, sticky walk, boost run, DI, lightshield, shield tilt, powershield, ledgehop, sweetspot, up-b angling, walljumps, walltech/techjump, up-b walljump, pivots, jc upsmash, run cancel, boost grab, IASA frames and more!

Use gamecube controller adapter or xbox 360 controller to play!

To beta test, join the discord here: https://discord.gg/qagFayt and go to getting-started channel for info.

Please report any bugs and issues to the relevant discord channels

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

UPDATE:

- 4 stock, 8 min match structure implemented

- Entrance and finish vfx

- Pause UI

- L+R+A+Start to quit, +B for runback

- Lots of bug fixes

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

UPDATE:
- Start menu, main menu

- Character select screen
- Set tags with a random button or by manually typing
- Shield and smash attack to see colours in action

- SDI, ASDI

- Ledge quick getup (more ledge options coming)

- Tech/grab/walljump vfx

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

UPDATE:
- Sounds and Music!
- More controller support (raphnet)
- Keyboard Controls
- Grab Tech (when grabbed, be in frames 3-8 of your own grab to initiate a grab tech)
- Loads of bug fixes

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
I really really dig this, excited to see where this goes.

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
Amazing work from what I've experienced in the demo. It's really well done. I can't wait to see where this project leads to.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Today I've launched a pretty huge update!

What's new?
Target Test:

Earn medals for times, compete against your own personal best and the world record! (There is no live leaderboard right now, if you beat the wr, send me a screenshot with your tag and I'll update the site)

Target Builder (early version):
Create your own target stages, using boxes, platforms, ledges and targets. Press L and R to switch tools, press A to use the tool and X/Y to perform fine movements. Test your stage within the builder. In the future your stages will be accessible through the target stage select screen and be saved to cookies so they are not lost. For now though, if you wish to hold onto the stage, select save stage and keep the code somewhere safe. If you think your stage is good enough to become an official stage send it to me!

New Stages:

Battlefield, Yoshi's story, Pokemon Stadium (frozen) and Dreamland are now choosable on a stage select screen. Each stage features the new ceiling physics, these are subject to change (need to look how melee handles them in depth). Yoshi's features randall the moving platform. There is currently a bug when an opponent is grabbed whilst you are on the plat moving into the stage. Will be fixed at some point.

Many new vfx

Grab tech has now been changed to happen only when both characters grab each other on the same frame

Downed opponents and opponents hanging on the ledge can no longer be grabbed

As always, lots of bug fixes!

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Here comes a new challenger!! Jigglypuff

What's new?
Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff becomes the 2nd character on the roster. Her crazy aerial mobility, unique jumps and unforgiving arsenal have been replicated. A new method of creating animations gives her model a very smooth finish.

New Target Builder
Target stages will now be saved on your custom stage list and will give you a usable code. Within the builder there is now a grid layout with a switchable size (Z). This makes creating precise and also artistic stages much more easier and intuitive.

Character specific target medals and scores:
With puff now in, you can select your character for target stages with dpad up/down or L/R. Each character has all their own medals and records.

Hitbox Interpolation
If there was an active hitbox on the previous frame, the new hitbox will cover all the space between the previous hitbox and the new one. This is especially important for fast long ranged attacks like marth's upb. It makes sure the attack can't pass through the opponent.

Xbox 360 Controller Support

Corner collisions (experimental way to deal with corner collisions, but preserve easy ledgedash mechanics)

Support for airborne only or grounded only hitting attacks (the different hitboxes of puff's dair for example)

Many new vfx

Grab tech has been changed back to having a large window

As always, lots of bug fixes!

Last edited:

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
This is awesome. Few questions:
  • Do you share source?
  • Did you use melee's hurtbox and hitbox data or created your own?
  • Did you collect all the data for jumps, dashes special moves, etc. from melee in-game, or you calculate each frame positions real-time from melee's movement equations, or use a combination of both? (exampe I imagine it must be hard to predict marth's side-b or up-b without getting actual each frame positions from collecting data in in-game melee)
  • Did you use in-game melee screenshots to create you models? What are the details?

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
This is awesome. Few questions:
  • Do you share source?
  • Did you used melee's hurtbox and hitbox data or created your own?
  • Did you collect all the data for jumps, dashes special moves, etc. from melee in-game, or you calculate each frame positions real-time from melee's movement equations, or use a combination of both? (exampe I imagine it must be hard to predict marth's side-b or up-b without getting actual each frame positions from collecting data in in-game melee)
  • Did you used in-game melee screenshots to create you models? What are the details?
Thanks dude!

1. Currently no. I plan to create a melee-inspired commercial game in the near future. Until that game's release, this will remain closed source.

2. Hitbox yes (minus the z-axis), hurtbox no. Right now it's just a rectangle hurtbox, at some point I'll make it into multiple rectangles and have them move around, like street fighter

3. For the majority of movements I replicated the equations and plugged in their character attribute values. But for some things, the movement is nonuniform, perhaps it is tied to the animation in some way, and for those I collected the precise values from in game.

4. Yes. It's quite a lengthy process. I'll be writing a big blog post when the game launches v1.0 within a couple weeks, and that will be one of the topics on there.

Last edited:

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
Ok, thanks!

Also I found a bug in your moonwalking feature. In melee light marth can chain moonwalk whereas he can't normally. Here are the videos:

At the end of the second video you also see me try to moonwalk from left to right and failing. I don't know if it's my controller messing up with your game, but I can do it in normal melee.

Another bug: space bar doesn't work for uptilting

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Ok, thanks!

Also I found a bug in your moonwalking feature. In melee light marth can chain moonwalk whereas he can't normally. Here are the videos:

At the end of the second video you also see me try to moonwalk from left to right and failing. I don't know if it's my controller messing up with your game, but I can do it in normal melee.

Another bug: space bar doesn't work for uptilting
These videos are private. But I did add in an additional mechanic to make moonwalking easier. It's easy to turn off, I undecided whether to keep it or not.

It's a little awkward to correctly interpret inputs from all different types of controllers and adapters. You could try reseting your controller's neutral by holding X+Y+DpadUp for 3 seconds. This resets the shoulder analog and stick positions, I mainly use it for trigger tricking, but it could help this issue as well.

Gunna look into the keyboard stuff for the next update, I've experienced similar combinations that don't work, so there is definitely something up.

ElRudo

Smash Rookie
Omg that is so sick.
What is missing?
Are we gonna see invisible ceiling glitches? VCancel?

Most of all: What is next?

Barry BlaZe

Smash Cadet
I have a Wii U GC Adapter and use it regularly on netplay. However when I try to play melee light and i try to press some buttons nothing happens. Ive refreshed and restarted the program several times. Any ideas? Thanks. Looks amazing tho can't wait to try it

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Is it just my computer or does melee light seem to freeze when loading on 100%? I'm really looking forward to playing it! It looks so good!

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
I think it's adorable that there is grab teching, and that it uses the 3rd Strike sound effect, but I think grab techs should only occur on frames 7-8 of grab and not 3-8. Or even only on frame 8. Making such a wide grab tech window significantly changes the game (makes grab a much safer option in many mixup scenarios). Having a grab tech window at all is a good idea, because it removes port priority. Guilty Gear uses a 2 frame throw tech window for this purpose. Other games like SF2 are forced to do it by port priority or simply randomly.

Like, I appreciate the intent of grab teching (make there a reasonable window like in Street Fighter so roughly simultaneous grabs will tech, allowing the use of grab as a defensive option against grab), but I think that simply resolving the port priority issue is all that should be done here and leaving it so earlier grabs will generally beat out later grabs instead of teching.

Giraphe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1821-9946-0555
this is dope but the browser version wont let me use my controller and the drop box link has "too much traffic and has been temporarily disabled mind giving me a new link?

Nathanam0re

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I saw this game on YouTube a few days ago and checked it; this thing is SICK! So, because I saw that the source code was downloadable, I went ahead and messed around a bit. :) This is what I have been able to mod in with the short time I have had so far with this awesome game.

I can only hope more people start modding this game, as it is a blast doing it. :D

( plus, it might help schmoo a bit, if we are lucky xD )

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
WOW! Now THIS is an example of what can be created with only JavaScript and SVG! Melee lite is ridiculous man. I can only imagine how much work it took to make this! Congrats and thank you!

1. Currently no. I plan to create a melee-inspired commercial game in the near future. Until that game's release, this will remain closed source.
Have you released that game? You put the source on github now.

I have a Wii U GC Adapter and use it regularly on netplay. However when I try to play melee light and i try to press some buttons nothing happens. Ive refreshed and restarted the program several times. Any ideas?
Assuming you have may flash, Switch to PC (dolphin uses Wii U). Play on google chrome.

I downloaded the game, how do I run it? I am on windows btw.
Open the .html file.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Omg that is so sick.
What is missing?
Are we gonna see invisible ceiling glitches? VCancel?

Most of all: What is next?
Vcancel is already in, you will here a metal box sound when it is activated. ICG is possible for sure and probably will be in there at some point.

I'm working with a lot of people to try to optimize the game so it runs smoother on more setups, and also adding support for more unique controllers and combinations. In terms of features, there is a possibility of netplay, there will be more characters and stages, and more gamemodes.

I have a Wii U GC Adapter and use it regularly on netplay. However when I try to play melee light and i try to press some buttons nothing happens. Ive refreshed and restarted the program several times. Any ideas? Thanks. Looks amazing tho can't wait to try it
If you are using a Mayflash 4 port, switch it to PC mode and it should work on Chrome or Firefox. If you are using an official Wii U adapter, then you will need to install vJoy drivers and then play it on Firefox.

Is it just my computer or does melee light seem to freeze when loading on 100%? I'm really looking forward to playing it! It looks so good!
Are you playing on Safari? Best I can advice is trying different browsers.

I think it's adorable that there is grab teching, and that it uses the 3rd Strike sound effect, but I think grab techs should only occur on frames 7-8 of grab and not 3-8. Or even only on frame 8. Making such a wide grab tech window significantly changes the game (makes grab a much safer option in many mixup scenarios). Having a grab tech window at all is a good idea, because it removes port priority. Guilty Gear uses a 2 frame throw tech window for this purpose. Other games like SF2 are forced to do it by port priority or simply randomly.

Like, I appreciate the intent of grab teching (make there a reasonable window like in Street Fighter so roughly simultaneous grabs will tech, allowing the use of grab as a defensive option against grab), but I think that simply resolving the port priority issue is all that should be done here and leaving it so earlier grabs will generally beat out later grabs instead of teching.
Yes I agree with this, truthfully I never got round to tinkering with the window. It is on my list of things to tweak.

this is dope but the browser version wont let me use my controller and the drop box link has "too much traffic and has been temporarily disabled mind giving me a new link?
https://mega.nz/#!HVhDQC6B!YKzMkwujg_0FZQRcaeFU2LI1B08kjesKHWvq48eKg6A

I downloaded the game, how do I run it? I am on windows btw.
Open meleelightdebug.html

WOW! Now THIS is an example of what can be created with only JavaScript and SVG! Melee lite is ridiculous man. I can only imagine how much work it took to make this! Congrats and thank you!

Have you released that game? You put the source on github now.
Thank you! I changed my mind about it being closed source

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Vcancel is already in, you will here a metal box sound when it is activated. ICG is possible for sure and probably will be in there at some point.

I'm working with a lot of people to try to optimize the game so it runs smoother on more setups, and also adding support for more unique controllers and combinations. In terms of features, there is a possibility of netplay, there will be more characters and stages, and more gamemodes.

If you are using a Mayflash 4 port, switch it to PC mode and it should work on Chrome or Firefox. If you are using an official Wii U adapter, then you will need to install vJoy drivers and then play it on Firefox.

Are you playing on Safari? Best I can advice is trying different browsers.

Yes I agree with this, truthfully I never got round to tinkering with the window. It is on my list of things to tweak.

https://mega.nz/#!HVhDQC6B!YKzMkwujg_0FZQRcaeFU2LI1B08kjesKHWvq48eKg6A

Open meleelightdebug.html

Thank you! I changed my mind about it being closed source
Hi sorry if this has already happened but is there a download link for google drive (mega and media fire don't work for me)? If so, please comment it.

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
I really think you should make dashback 2 frame for reasons you surely understand. But I get why you wouldnt and all. Still the fact that it is one frame is one of the most annoying things about melee.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
will there be an exe based program instead of just the browser?

Raffola

Smash Rookie
I Really wanna play but im on a mac and i cant find a gc usb adapter for mac, is there a link someone can send me that will let me play?

Last edited:

Stiga

Smash Cadet
I Really wanna play but im on a mac and i cant find a gc usb adapter for mac, is there a link someone can send me that will let me play?
By the way on a completely unrelated subject can you use dolphin 5.0 and above on mac? I've tried many times but it just says "Application not Responding".

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I really think you should make dashback 2 frame for reasons you surely understand. But I get why you wouldnt and all. Still the fact that it is one frame is one of the most annoying things about melee.
I will make it a gameplay option tomorrow.
will there be an exe based program instead of just the browser?
Not likely. I can assure you I will be working on multiple original smash-likes in the future though.

HaiMatoX

Smash Rookie
I'm playing it on my laptop (not super powerful) on pretty meh wifi and the game seems to just be running really slowly. Almost three times slower. Is it just a performance/internet issue?

aoihabanero

Smash Rookie
sry, if this is doesn't belong here but:

i have a problem with the button mapping for my mayflash pro controller
ZR, ZL, and L are mapped to shield
R is mapped to grab (this could be intentional)
X is mapped to special
B is mapped to jump
is there a way i can change that?

DragonDePlatino

Smash Rookie
I just made an account to say this is really fantastic! I saw it on OHKO's channel and I'm excited to see where this project goes. A lot of Smash projects have a really janky feel to them but this looks really smooth and professional. The aesthetic reminds me of the Difficult series of stages from Dustforce. :D

Top Bottom