• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me podcast! Join the MIOM Facebook Group!

Scar

#HarveyDent
For the latest updates, join the discussion on Facebook:
Official Facebook Group Here!

Agenda Here!
(the following Smashboards post is fairly outdated, so please refer to the Facebook group or agenda resources to stay up-to-date!)

[COLLAPSE='Spirit Bomb']
Lend us your strength and join us in throwing the most devastating attack that Breast Cancer has ever seen - the Super Spirit Bomb: Melee. Your contributions are going to the fight against Breast Cancer, a cause that we can all stand behind. We sincerely appreciate your donations.

HELP US HELP MELEE!
Here are a few things you can do RIGHT NOW:
Melee It On Me: Episode 6 - THE SPIRIT BOMB
Click these links for detailed Schedule and Incentives:
  • 5:30 pm PST - Preshow begins on VGBootCamp's Twitch Channel
    [*]6:00 - Episode 6 is live! MATCHING DONATIONS BEGIN!
  • 6:22 - Sealed auction begins!!
  • 6:44 - Raffle begins!
  • 7:00 - Special Guest AlphaZealot with a FIRST DRAFT mockup of the new Smashboards!
  • 7:20 - Special Guest Bionic demonstrating Xenforo!
  • 7:40 - Special Guest R3NO discussing a new type of teams tournament!
  • 8:00 - Call-ins, special requests, and last minute push
  • 9:00 - Releasing the Spirit Bomb!!!

[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE='Important Links']EPISODE 1 HERE!
EPISODE 2 HERE!
EPISODE 3 HERE!
EPISODE 4 HERE!
YouTube Playlist HERE!
Google Doc link HERE!
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE='ARCHIVES']NON-NA SMASHERS: If you cannot watch the cast due to timezone issues, PM me with proof of your donation and location and we'll count it towards the drive!

3x MATCHING DONATIONS all the way up to $1,000 for Melee at Evo!!!
TL;DR - If we can raise $1,250 in community donations during the podcast, the total amount of money that will be added to the pot will be $5,000!
  • Every $1 you give during the podcast, an additional $3 will be added after the podcast. Your donation will be essentially multiplied by 4.
  • If only 50 smashers donate $20, we will hit this goal!
  • If we reach $1,000 in community donations from 6pm-9pm Pacific tomorrow, the drive backers will add another $3,300 into the pot - that's $4,300 in one night.
Match Pledges:
  • Up to $1,000: Scar and The Crimson Blur
  • Up to $300: [el-prog], and I’ll also be throwing in my payment from APEX2013 and the amount owed to me from people I housed. (500?)
  • Up to $200: Mogwai, Violence, HAB, Toph
  • Up to $100: Velocity, MattDotZeb
Schedule:
  • Starting the pre-show at 5:00pm Pacific Time at www.twitch.tv/bobby_scar and www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp (simulcasting)
  • We will record the donation amount at the WePay Donation Site at the beginning of the cast
  • At the end of the cast (8pm PST) we will record the final donation level and calculate the increase in donations during the cast
  • We will match the amount of money donated based on % of our goal reached - e.g. if we hit $625 (half of our goal of $1,250), each pledger will donate 50% of the pledged match for a grand total of $2,500
Let's raise $5,000+ for Melee at Evo 2013 and the fight against breast cancer!

The biggest Melee It On Me episode yet - PLEASE tune in to episode 4 TOMORROW Wednesday January 16, 2013 from 6pm Pacific, at http://www.twitch.tv/bobby_scar ! We are hosting a 3x MATCH donation drive throughout the podcast where every dollar you donate to SSBM at Evo, we throw in $3!!!

And, as an added bonus, if we hit our goal of $1,000 in grassroots donations, we'll throw in an extra $500 for a grand total of $3,500 additional dollars added to the pot! And, if you'd like to support us even further, let us know and you can add more to the potential match pool to increase the match %!

Other Important Links
Smashers:

We just finished up episode 2, and I personally think it went really well. I had a ton of fun hosting again, I thought we had great conversation. As usual please leave your feedback for the casters here, and if you want to get involved, PLEASE reach out! Smashboards PM, skype message, twitter, this thread, whatever.

We're really trying to push twitter, so if you want to join the conversation, sign up and tweet @bobbyscar / @progducto / @cactussmash.

Current Initiatives and Who To Contact
  • Prog: Video Content Generation / Improving stream production
  • Scar/Cactuar: New Player Initiatives (efficient practice for new players, new player tournament experience
  • Scar/Cactuar: Player Recognition: Player Tiers (Code: S/A+/A/B Players)
  • Scar/Tafokints: "Fight Night" tournament side events
Hey guys - just wanted to throw this thread together since the original thread(in streams section) isn't getting any visibility. Please leave any feedback and comments in this thread, or PM it directly to me. I LOVE your feedback <3

Please check out the SSBWiki Page for the show here. We're going to update it with what we're working on, and will maintain a list of people who have volunteered to help. If you're interested in taking any of this on, PLEASE VOLUNTEER!!! You can do that by posting here, or PMing me or anyone on the show about it.

Great feedback so far:
  • Very long
  • A lot of discussion about "what happened" - should be more about why / what to do about it
Stuff we want to talk about in Episode 2:

• AZ buys Smashboards!!! What's next for the boards?
  • Officially recognized Player Tiers
  • Melee's problem-solving mechanisms
  • Accessibility
  • Evo 2013
If you have Skype and want to call in about any of the above topics, get in touch with us and we'll put you on! If you have something you want us to talk about, please do the same. Remember, this podcast is YOUR platform for getting a message or an idea heard. Our success is tied to community participation, so please support us by watching, leaving feedback, getting involved in an initiative you care about, or by joining the discussion.
[/COLLAPSE]

joY

Pot splitter
first

This is going to be great! Excited for episode 2 already!

Revven

FrankerZ
This reminds me a lot of the "Melee: State of the Game" podcasts Peef used to do, except a lot more... organized and less about tournaments that just happened.

I hope this gets popular enough! First episode was a little rough but pretty legit all around. I hope it picks up soon to where it gets more than 200 viewers each week or something.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Your ruleset is like the "news" magazines that sit by the checkouts at grocery stores. It's fine if you just look at the cover and get a laugh out of it, but only special people open them up and read the content seriously.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I hope this gets popular enough! First episode was a little rough but pretty legit all around. I hope it picks up soon to where it gets more than 200 viewers each week or something.
Yeah I think we agree completely - feel free to leave any (constructive) criticism you may have, we want to make sure that the cast keeps getting better. And we put it together in about 2 days so episode 2 should be much more organized.

:D

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Someone brought this up in a thread before, but on the topic of AZ buying Smashboards and Accessibility--we should seriously look at SEO to improve the chances of people who are searching for Smash stuff online finding Smashboards before they find IGN or whatever.

Edit: and SEO is something I have experience in if you needed someone to weigh in on that

Stevo

Smash Champion
I think my biggest problem with episode 1 was that it dragged on and didn't flow very well. At a lot of points you guys were trying to figure out what to talk about or what to do next lol.

I'm sure this will not be a big problem in the next episode, however.

Have 1 person who is directing things, so if someone gets off topic, that person can come in and get them back on track! I guess that would be you Scar?

Also, if you are going to take questions, take them before the show, and then address them in the next episode. That way, people have time to think up better questions, and you guys have time to weed out the best ones.

Regardless, I enjoyed the last show and I am looking forward to future ones.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Your ruleset is like the "news" magazines that sit by the checkouts at grocery stores. It's fine if you just look at the cover and get a laugh out of it, but only special people open them up and read the content seriously.
Melee Backroom = Ministry of Magic
Cactuar = Cornelius Fudge
Cactuar's Ruleset = The Daily Prophet
My Ruleset = The Quibbler

"You are blinded by the love of your office, Cornelius! You place too much importance, and you always have done, on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognise that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!" - Albus Dumbeldore

I may sound crazy, but in the end everyone will realize I was right all along. ;D

Also, the main problem with the first was that you guys beat each topic like a dead horse. If there's a general consensus and everyone's said their piece, just move on. Trying to play Devil's Advocate is good to stir discussion, but not when there aren't any really solid points for the other side.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Bones, if you sounding crazy was the issue, you'd fit right in. It isn't. Several of us have told you directly what your problem is, but you either forget or willfully ignore what we have said.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
You hold people back by giving advice that isn't sound. You spread misinformation to people who cannot judge the quality of your words because they lack the experience to do so. You have a following of low level players who are very unlikely to progress, at least in part because of your influence on them. Etcetc.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not sure what me being able to convince bad players of things other players disagree with has to do with you guys discussing my ruleset though.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
You have no credibility. Similar to those magazines on the grocery store racks, I have no desire to open them because I expect them to be filled with trash, even if something inside it had the potential to be legitimate.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's not like you need any sort of game knowledge or understanding to make a ruleset, especially considering I only changed a few key things that are purely logic and could be applied to many other games. Also, Crimson used my crews ruleset for KoC and it went off without a hitch, so that should give me at least some credibility in terms of creating rulesets.

Bones0

Smash Legend
No, I'm pretty sure I got it. Content is based on the credibility of the poster, not the credibility of the idea itself. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

/Quibbler

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The content stays the same either way, but the credibility of the source determines the likelihood for the reader to actually give it the time of day. My opinion in the long term regarding it will be based on peer reviews. Not worth my time till then.

:)

Oh, peer reviews have been poor.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I only listened to the first half of the podcast, so I apologize if you guys did something like this later on in the program that I missed, but a Q&A session would be cool.

Not something where you just answered questions from the stream, but something where you answered questions people brought up on the boards. You could have a specific thread for submitting them, and then use the time in between podcasts to select the best ones, or even base part of your next program around what people seem to want to talk about.

I also think it would be cool if you could have people just call in during the program. Making this unplanned would be great because you never know what can get brought up and what you might be able to add to. If someone's in the stream that seems to know what they are talking about and aren't just trolling, letting them call in real quick and talk about it would be awesome (kind of like calling into a radio station when they are talking about a topic).

For instance, if you're talking about tournaments and I want to talk about using Swiss instead of Pools, I'd like to have the option to call in and discuss it instead of just hoping you guys have seen a post I made or whatever.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure how your rule set is much different exactly or how it solves the problems that we're currently facing with our current one. but i agree with charles in that it's hard to take seriously. but for me that's because 90% of your rule set is just my own words copied and pasted and presented back to me as something new.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not sure how your rule set is much different exactly or how it solves the problems that we're currently facing with our current one. but i agree with charles in that it's hard to take seriously. but for me that's because 90% of your rule set is just my own words copied and pasted and presented back to me as something new.
Well I was mostly talking about BSR instead of DSR, since that was such a huge part of the controversy at RoM, and it's also controversial in general because of how M2K is able to pick FD twice in some sets, and only once in others.

dkuo

Smash Lord
You guys should mention the growing viability of Melee netplay and what that means for the community.

idk just throwin some ideas out

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Nice sig, Scott.

All in all I thought the pod cast was good. The only gripes I have with it are length and some logistical stuff. You guys mesh well and I could really see this working.

Here is my feedback from the first pod cast.

Good Stuff

Good cast of players. The hosts/participants are high level players and TOs who are active in different parts of the scene. I like that the perspective that each of you has represents a different part of the scene.

The topics were relevant. The ROM5 stuff was a bigger impact than I had originally thought. I only know that because of you guys and especially progs vlogs.

You frequently engaged the audience and kept a good ratio of lighthearted banter to serious conversations.

Stuff I think could be better

Appoint someone as the "Host" who keeps topics on track organizes the show and delegates who is answering questions or giving their viewpoint. There was a lot of times where everyone was chiming in as how they think the show should progress. As a viewer stuff like that makes it look disorganized.

I think the first episode ran a bit long. I understand there was a lot to cover, but if you want to keep these pod casts on a regular period, I would push agenda items to the next episode and try and keep it between 1 or 2 hours at most.

Not really a problem with episode 1 but something that should be considered: I would suggest only having the podcast when you have material and don't force material because you can't find any. Peef tried a "State of the Game" type show a short time ago and I think the material suffered from trying to keep an aggressive schedule. The "state of the game" in melee is not as dynamic as LoL and Starcraft. There are no patches and the big tournaments are spread farther apart to keep this up on a weekly schedule.

If you want to make this a long running thing, make a website for better organization.

Again, I think the cast was really good and I am anticipating the next episode.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I think you should have a single main topic for 1 hour and use the second hour to take questions and just talk about those. There's nothing wrong with going off on tangents so long as you keep time in mind, they make things interesting. Interviews/special guests are always cool but don't over do it.

I seriously think you should consider having some smash playing as a video. We couldn't read the googledoc on stream, there were only 2/4 facecams and even then, as pretty as your faces are, they didn't offer much. I get frustrated sitting and listening for two hours with nothing to look at, I usually play something while listening to podcasts because of that. I'll probably use this podcast to force myself to train on very specific things in smash without getting bored 20 minutes in but if visuals are offered I think playing smash is something to keep in mind. I get that whoever plays wouldn't be super into it and you'll probably have to play CPUs so maybe it isn't the best possibility, just a suggestion.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to second the host/moderator notion that Pakman brought up.

I don't think length really matters as long as we have a place to archive them.

Top Bottom