• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee History: Character Innovators?

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
Hey guys, I'm making this thread in order to find out which players were considered "Innovators" of their respective character. Meaning the people who "invented" or rather developed or discovered most of the character specific advanced techniques for each character. I'm compiling a list of those players here.

Dr. Mario = Captain Jack / Bob$
Mario = Eggz
Luigi = Vudujin / Abate
Bowser = Gimpyfish
Peach = Armada
Yoshi = Amsa
Donkey Kong = Captain Jack
Captain Falcon = Isai
Ganondorf = Kage / Bizzaroflame
Falco = Bombsoldier / PC Chris
Fox = Chillindude
Ness = Mofo / Simna
Ice Climbers = Chudat / Wobbles
Kirby = Triple R
Samus = Wes / Hugs
Zelda = Cosmo / The Lake
Sheik = KDJ / Azen / Isai
Link = The Germ
Young Link = Axe / Armada
Pichu = KDJ
Pikachu = Axe
Jiggly Puff = King / HBox
Mewtwo = M2K / TAJ
Mr. Game & Watch = The Phenom / Qerb
Marth = Ken
Roy = Neo / Sethlon / Ripple

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Chillindude definitely for Fox
I think Ken for Marth

Not sure if Forward or Bombsoldier for Falco, since a lot of people watched both of them.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Probably Isai for Falcon. Definitely Wobbles for ICs.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Would KDJ be considered an innovator for Sheik? I believe his edge guarding with that character was some of the best in his prime.

Also Mango for Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
What about Chudat?
Chudat proved that the ICs were viable, and put them at their current position on the tier list. Wobbles helped develop the meta through wobbling.
What about King?
I honestly don't know who that is, so I can't really say much about him, but I feel that Hungrybox is the main person that made Puff what she is today.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
For puff it's gotta be between King or Mango. Mango definitely is responsible for Puff's rise in the tier list, but I remember him saying he was inspired by King who was the original good Puff

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
If hbox is the innovator of puff, m2k is the innovator of both marth and sheik.

For puff it's gotta be between King or Mango. Mango definitely is responsible for Puff's rise in the tier list, but I remember him saying he was inspired by King who was the original good Puff
Though I had said before that Mango is the innovator and Hbox simply took the character further, if Mango was inspired by King, then maybe King was the innovator? Idk, it could go either way.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
King was the first visible Puff main back in the DC++ days; a lot of the meta was already going that way, but he was the most famous puff at the time. Also, puff was actually considered pretty bad back then, too.

Isai is definitely falcon.
Gimpyfish for Bowser.
Eddie for Gannondorf.
N64 for Pikachu.
ChuDat for ICs.

I'll probably remember more if I think about it a bit, lol.

edit: I feel like BombSoldier invented the modern aggressive Falco, although PC Chris had a lot to do with his development.

Last edited:

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
King was the first visible Puff main back in the DC++ days; a lot of the meta was already going that way, but he was the most famous puff at the time. Also, puff was actually considered pretty bad back then, too.

Isai is definitely falcon.
Gimpyfish for Bowser.
Eddie for Gannondorf.
N64 for Pikachu.
ChuDat for ICs.

I'll probably remember more if I think about it a bit, lol.

edit: I feel like BombSoldier invented the modern aggressive Falco, although PC Chris had a lot to do with his development.
Thoughts on Bizzaroflame on ganondorf?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Bizzaroflame is fairly new to the scene relative to some other notable Gannon mains. I'd say that Kage was probably the biggest contributor to Gannondorf (other than maybe Eddie, but he stopped going to tornaments in 2007-ish).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Eddie introduced Gannondorf as a viable character and Kage mastered him, so I would say both.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, Sethlon for Roy. Can't really think of any other great Melee Roy mains at the moment...

Neville

ayyyy lmaooo
I don't think there was ever any good Pichu mains. I assume most switched to Pikachu or another character. The only notable Zelda that I know of is Cosmo, but he's not one for Melee much. Armada and Axe brought Young Link back, I'd say.

Massive

Smash Champion
Bizzaroflame is awesome at the 'dorfin.
He definitely hasn't done anything Kage hasn't done before, but it's good to see such an energetic take on gannon's meta.

The most Innovating Ness is probably Simna, now that I think about it.

I can't think of anyone who seriously played Pichu other than InsaneCarzyGuy, but I don't know that there were any substantial "innovations" realized, because Pichu is well... Pichu.

As much influence as Isai had in inventing Falcon, I'd also say that Darkrain, S2J, and SilentSpectre have added at least as much as he did due to his relatively short active timeframe in melee.

Also, Puff absolutely has to have Mango mentioned, it's irresponsible not to. He added a ridiculous amount to the meta and moved puff up several spaces in the tier list.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Bizzaroflame is awesome at the 'dorfin.
He definitely hasn't done anything Kage hasn't done before, but it's good to see such an energetic take on gannon's meta.
You're kidding right? How about getting 3rd at a national with Ganon and defeating the best? Only Eddie actually won a big tourney with Ganon and I think he should be the innovator imo or maybe Tipman too. Im not exactly sure.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
You're kidding right? How about getting 3rd at a national with Ganon and defeating the best? Only Eddie actually won a big tourney with Ganon and I think he should be the innovator imo or maybe Tipman too. Im not exactly sure.
Touché, Kage.

dan smith

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure ness' playstyle has evolved slowly over time rather than having any single large leaps in technique or strategy. the silly glitches and things that ness has are interesting but almost entirely worthless. i'd say the closest thing ness has to a true innovator would be mofo for simply playing him well at a time when nobody else consistently did and continuing to do so for such a long time. his dedication and example is probably the single biggest contribution to ness' still utterly abyssmal competitive capabilities that there has been. still a trash character tho. honestly, maybe you should just put "N/A".

EDIT: forgot my kc bias, darkrain is 100% best falcon ever, everybody else is terrible and ugly and should cut off their own hands.

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
the silly glitches and things that ness has are interesting but almost entirely worthless.
Wait, are you the guy who discovered the yoyo glitch?

Last edited:

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Um, yo, Sheik = Drephen. And I think Aniki should be listed along with The Germ under Link. Simna definitely for Ness. The Lake for Zelda and Fumi along with Amsa for Yoshi-Yosh. I'm not sure if he pioneered Roy or not, but Neo is deserving of that spot. Ka-Master for Luigi.

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
how are Vudujin and abate not on for Luigi? Also no love for Scorp Master (Mango) :)

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879

Mango innovated it, but I think that Hungrybox helped to develop Puff's metagame more.
True, but we're talking about innovators, not masters. Mango was definitely the first character to really put Puff out there.

strawhats

Smash Master
Fox:Chillindude/, PC Chris
Falco: Bombsoldier/PC Chris/Forward/Lambchops, Shiz
Sheik: Captain Jack/Amsah/KDJ/Isai
Marth: Ken/Azen/M2K
Jigglypuff:King/MaNg0
Peach: Wife/Vidjo/Cort/Armada
Captain Falcon: Isai, Darkrain, SS
ICs: Chudat/Wobbles
Doc: Bob$, Captain Jack, FoxRoar, Shroomed(so much innovation from this man) honorable mention to HMW, Dogysich, and OTG
Ganon: Thomas Tipman, Eddie, Kage for newschool
Samus: DA_Wes, Hugs
Pikachu: Axe, Anther, Pikachad
Link: Germ, Skler, HDL
Yoshi: Fumi, V3ctorman, Leffen, aMSa
Luigi: Ka Master, everyone else lol(eddie Mexico, abate, vist, blea gelo)
Mario: Eggz, Green Mario, Brown Mario, Scorpadorp is the best tho.
Zelda: Dark Musician, Cosmo, UmbreonMow, The Lake
Young Link: Caveman, Armada, Axe Cambo_Flo(just based on international hype lol)
GnW: DireVulcan, Bombsoldier, J00t, Querb
M2: Taj, Iori, V3ctorman, M2k
Roy:Neo, Sethlon, Ripple
Pichu: KDJ, Unknown
Kirby: KrazyKirbyKid, Hack, Triple R

Last edited:

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi: V3ctorman (and/or) Fumi
Pichu: KDJ did a fair amount for Pichu I think
Roy: Neo

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
For people who didnt really invent, but certainly worked on the character and innovated alot heres a few more:
Peach: MacD, Mario: Scorp, ARookie, Marth: M2K, PPMDKreygasm, Mango for jiggs tho, DJN for bowsah, you gotta add vist to those luigi mains, V3ctorman for yoshi (and Leffen i guess.) Now for fox you could seriously add alot, Mew2King started as a fox main and basically made the character known as the ebst in the game, PCchris did alot for fox, Mango and Lucky also did alot, Hax did alot of work with fox techskill, as did silentwolf and dark, and Leffens fox is kinda like the first real chaingrabby fox. Also if you feel like addign a third mewtwo player add Zoma.
Anyways this thread is hard because While some character like Pikachu are obviously mostly made by axe others, especially those like fox, its subjective who did the most for them.

Top Bottom