• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE HD

NoWolfPack

Smash Rookie
Hey just wanted to have a serious look into the production of Melee HD/ 20XX.
This will be mostly composed of my ideas but I would love any feed back people are willing to give!

First off we have to establish that Nintendo is a company that is full of devs that want to create something new rather than using old mechanics or releasing a remastered version with no changes what so ever. Things like amiibos and new controllers are just something we might have to deal with. The Nintendo Switch provides a lot of possibilities that can very interesting for the smash community. The Switch itself even though it is a smaller screen comparatively but running tournaments would be a breeze if people were to bring them in. Also the potential to have a tournament with the prize of being immortalized with an amiibo of the victor. As well as some of the following ideas:

1) No Nerfs
Generally people will be upset because somethings in this game seem broken and should be fixed blah blah blah, however people often are more upset when they put in the time to learn a character an then he becomes useless especially if they have been playing this character for 15 years +. This would also mean Gamecube Controllers would need an adapter and also if we could settle on a solid regulated model of Hax's controller.

2) Buffs for ALL
Going on the most agreed upon tier list every character will receive a buff from top to bottom. Characters on the Top of the tier list will have less of a buff opposed to the bottom which will need several. This may sound threatening at first but instead of messing with each character and changing there structure we will give them a separate function called 20XX mode if a character is being selected while holding R you will instead select the 20XX version where the character will have a buff based on what is deemed appropriate. Buffs will not usually be a increase of damage or knock back but a new form of tech or skill that can be a little bit difficult. People are often upset when one button kills are added to a character so this will likely be a combination but I will go in depth later. Buffs will also include 2-4 New neutral stages developed from the ground up I have many ideas about this but it will also have to tested against the new character buffs.

3) All Original Modes Plus New Content
All of the original game should still be in contact without question, Maybe a new classic or all star mode with better AI rather than changing the handicap when played on harder difficulties. Being able to use the C stick in all game modes. A tournament function that allows you to set up rule set and have a copy-able code to transfer to all other systems in use to make TO's lives a little easier they can also toggle if its only original characters or if any 20XX variations will be available. A training mode specific for each character that focuses on tech that has been discovered over the past 17 years, giving five different levels to a mini game at the end that will record your score and be displayed to others that view your profile in the form of a trophy. For example one of Fox's mini games will be a multi shine contest and have leader boards or Captain Falcon could have a large wall and see how many scar jumps possible if you receiving a bronze trophy all the way to platinum. New colors and Skins should be available for all characters as well as skins accepting the change of all new colors in order for people to show there individuality. Skins can either be themed or based on memorable people who have played the character Examples being: DJ Bowser, Peoples Champ Falcon, King of Smash Marth.

4) ONLINE, CRTs and PATCHES
Online will only be done if it is playable similar to how online functions on anthers ladder. Online should have a for glory mode a party mode and maybe a melee classic for glory where no 20XX characters can be played. THE GAME MUST WORK EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS ON CRTS. This is super important, probably the most important thing the inputs on the controller must be 1 to 1 as they are displayed on screen no exceptions this means graphics are less important than keeping the original play style. Patches will be voted upon because I believe in the community and the choices will be either A) One patch that will happen half a year to a year after initial release to fix any major bugs or any game breaking abilities. B) No patch melee is game that has lasted without patching and I think that should be the standard for all changes to this version, also I want the ability for people to ban characters based on what the TO decides nothing to crazy just the power to do as they see fit.

5) IN-Depth Character Changes
These will either be based on MagicScrumpy's Tas or The original content in which the Character cam from. Low tiers will not be sought to be flipped to be top of the tier list but rather re-purpose them for doubles: The next frontier of melee. Starting with the more drastic changes first...

Pichu:
-Evolution: Pichu should no longer damage him/herself (I think that is a given)
-For teams purposes Pichu should be given Electric Synchronization: Meaning within a certain time period of a character being hit with an electric based move if Pichu is able to follow up in the time frame with their own electric based move on the same character the character will be stunned for a short period of time. Moves that will synchronize with Pichu: Falcon's Knee. Doc's F-smash. Ness' B-air, PK Pulse etc.

Kirby:
-Kirby should either have his more traditional copy abilities that change his move set example being inhaling Marth should give Kirby the Sword Kirby move set, inhaling Mario should be Fire Kirby ect. Or Kirby should be able to choose which ability he copies Example being Shine.
-For teams purposes while a character is inhaled they should be able to charge a smash or special move and release it when Kirby exhales.

Roy:
-Fire emblem has always been one of my favorite games and I have always disliked how a game about many different weapon types always gets represented in Smash with a sword fighter that is why I came up with...
-Re-Class: Roy will Re-class from a Lord to a Hero, This means using the D pad he can change between a sword and an axe. An Axe would fit perfect for Roy's range and eliminate his distance in exchange for power but could also lead to a projectile as a throwing Axe.
-For teams purposes Roy should obtain Blazing Sword: Much like Pichu's Electric Synchronization Roy will be given a Fire Synchronization same objectives must be met with fire moves and will result in slight damage over time or the burn effect. It will synchronize with moves such as: Mario's fire ball, or F-smash. Falcon's Recovery, F-smash, Falcon punch or Falcon kick etc.

Mr. Game & Watch:
-Game & Watch should have his shield size increased
-All of the aerials should be L-Canceled
-Game & Watch's Hammer should have a follow up for each Number and if the player can react fast enough to the number they would then get the follow up

Mewtwo, Yoshi and Ness:
-Arguably two of My worst characters are Mewtwo and Ness I have no ideas what to do with either of them but I believe there to be more potential in Ness based on what I have seen from him when played by Hbox.
-The only piece of tech that might be useful for all three is potentially pivoting while shielding, it seems like broken tech but they are so far down the list that it shouldn't matter much (not including yoshi) Yoshi does have terrible out of shield game but making him able to jump out of shield may lose his parry ability so pivoting in shield may be the next best thing.
-Also possibly vertical tech jump : a new tech option that works similar to a ledge jump just as an added mix-up for teching, note that this can be preformed when knocked down on stage and not a wall jump tech. This might be more suitable for the Mario Brothers and company so it might be solely for them.
-Any Ideas would be most appreciated

Zelda:
-With most Zelda characters I believe there theme should be resourcefulness and keeping with in that theme there is a running joke of how Zelda's down B is the best in the game because it raises her a ton of spots in the tier list... But what if we actually made it the best down B in the game. What if we change it to an instant cast with no lag so she can go from Zelda and continue her combo into Sheik. This would make her more in line with dual character that was originally intended. Keep in mind that Sheik's Transformation back into Zelda will still be the original one because that would be way to big of a buff to a character already too high on the list.

Bowser, Ganondorf and DK or Heavies:
-Heavies are very read based and are able to out put huge damage when they make the correct read but they have no way to compete with projectiles for the most part so Bowser and/or Ganon should get a projectile. Bowsers could replace his neutral B with a large slow moving fire ball that resembles his projectiles from other Mario games where as Ganon could fire a Energy Ball similar to how he does in every Legend of Zelda game, if it can be reflected back and become a game of tennis is up for discussion. Donkey Kong is kinda fast but he could counter by having a dash attack roll similar to the style he uses in his games, maybe it could even have super armor but that might be a little broken.
-To build on Heavies getting big rewards for big reads I think Chargeable aerials would be perfect for all of these characters. This might mean cutting down some start up times on longer aerials such as Bowser's U-air but will decrease the initial damage until fully charged.
-Ganon's Up tilt should be cancel-able this might lead to some cool looking movement if used properly.

This is only the start I have plenty of more ideas that I will add in the near future ...
Thanks for the reads

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
First of all, how come there have been two posts about Melee HD recently? Has anyone with a legitimate source hinted at it even being a possibility?

Putting that point aside, I like the idea of a Melee HD remake with improvements made to low tier characters to improve viability of all characters in competitive play.

1. You say give everyone buffs? I disagree. Buff the low tiers. Fix G&W. I dont think we need any buffed foxes or falcos out there.
2. If we give buffs, I dont think it should be done by increasing knockback or damage though. I think the frame data should be changed. Speed up the time it takes for moves to come out for slower characters. Make some characters faster in general.
3. I love the idea of an improved stage list. The current list of stages gets boring quickly.
4. I didnt read too much into the in-depth changes, but I dont think we should be changing the way the characters play too much. They should resemble their original melee counterparts in every way, but just improve the way they move and act so they can compete the higher tiers.

soobly

Smash Rookie
Melee already is good as it is the reason they don't put it in HD already is because there are no online patches. Melee is the way it is and nobody can necessarily change it besides PAL and NTSC which is a challenge already learning both as it is.

Top Bottom