• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Completed Melee HD Texture Pack (Dolphin) (v1.01)

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
This thread is to raise awareness that Melee HD is (somewhat) a reality. Through the combined efforts of the insanely talented people over at meleehd.boards.net, myself, and Stache Stache , you can download a mostly complete Melee HD texture pack. Keep in mind not everything is upscaled, especially character artwork (CSP, CSS icons) but most of the UI elements you see while playing are, as well as certain stage elements. We will work to add more textures in the future as we see fit.

I apologize in advance for the whole "3 seperate downloads". I could've included it in one download but it felt wrong re-hosting the MeleeHD boards' textures after all the time and work they've spent on it. If you've enjoyed these textures, please visit them at MeleeHD.boards.net and let them know you appreciate their hard work.

What you'll need (click to download)

-Latest MeleeHD boards texture pack
-MeleeHD boards texture submissions that haven't been merged into the above download (I've gathered them here)
-Personal retextures we've worked on

Step 1

-Take the GALE01 Folder in the first MeleeHD boards texture pack and place it in C:\Users\Your-Name-Here\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures

Step 2

-Take all of the files in the MeleeHD submissions folder from the second download and place them in the GALE01 folder

Step 3

-Take the third download and place all the files in the zip into the GALE01 folder as well

Step 4

-Turn on Load Textures and Prefetch Custom Textures (not required but recommended) in Graphics Settings under Advanced

Ready to Fight and Press Start text

Timer, Percents, and Ready text

Ground Texture and Pokeball Texture

Leaves

Flowers, fence, grass

Ground Texture

Platform

Menu Text

Character select screen
-Player indicator on puck
-Player indicator on bottom of character slot
-Melee text in the top left
-Back Button
-Rules text
-other UI elements

Stage select screen
-Remade all the stage names
-Replaced the stage icons with screenshots
-UI elements

Stages
Dream Land:
-Added the leaf and bush textues from Smash 4
-Upscaled the rest of the textures on the stage so each pixel is properly shown instead of being blurred (except for the tree trunks, helps keep original aesthetic)

Final Destination:
-Changed the large gravel texture

Yoshi's story:
-Made the zig-zag line on the side of the platforms more clear

Pokemon Stadium:
-Changed the level of detail of the main grass texture
-Upscaled Pokeball texture

Kingdom II
-Upscaled just like dream land

Characters
Pikachu:
-Redid all textures except the eyes on default costume only (testing character upscales)

Ingame HUD
-Remade the timer
-Remade the overhead symbols when a character is standing still (P1, P2 etc.)
-Remade the percent symbol and the numbers
-Remade "Ready" at the start of a match
-Remade the pause screen

Results screen
-Border UI Element
-1st Ui Element

Main Menu
-Mode text remade
-General text remade
-Rules text remade
-Various other textures

General
-Series symbols remade
-Title screen remade

Last edited:

Stache

Smash Cadet
Just a heads up, if you wanna make the most out of these textures, I recommend playing at a resolution of Auto (window size) [I use a 1080p monitor] and at 4x Super-sampled anti-aliasing (if your PC can handle it), otherwise they will appear very sharp.

Last edited:

duky5000

Smash Rookie
does the spoiler cover all downloads or just the ones you have worked on personally?

Last edited:

Stache

Smash Cadet
does the spoiler cover all downloads or just the ones you have worked on personally?
The spoilers contain mostly stuff we worked on, but the main menu, and rules text were not done by us.
The UI elements (not the icons themselves) in the stage select screen weren't done by us either.

Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Anyway to get this on Wii?

truck

Smash Rookie
Wii is not HD - it is SD. I don't know why this comes up every week.

Just a heads up, if you wanna make the most out of these textures, I recommend playing at a resolution of Auto (window size) [I use a 1080p monitor] and at 4x Super-sampled anti-aliasing (if your PC can handle it), otherwise they will appear very sharp.

If you're using anti-aliasing with the textures though then it is super wasteful to use SSAA. Like with the FM HD pack I do NOT recommend using SSAA since all of the textures are already anti-aliased.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
If you're using anti-aliasing with the textures though then it is super wasteful to use SSAA. Like with the FM HD pack I do NOT recommend using SSAA since all of the textures are already anti-aliased.
We made the textures super sharp, higher res than you would need for 1080p (in an attempt to future proof), when the high res textures are downscaled for your render resolution, they can be very sharp looking, SSAA helps adjust the higher res to the lower resolution.

SSAA is not necessary but there's definitely a difference.

truck

Smash Rookie
We made the textures super sharp, higher res than you would need for 1080p (in an attempt to future proof), when the high res textures are downscaled for your render resolution, they can be very sharp looking, SSAA helps adjust the higher res to the lower resolution.

SSAA is not necessary but there's definitely a difference.
Ohh ok. Maybe there can be separate packs for each resolution - one to save space and the other so there's no downscale.

oOPotatoOo

Smash Rookie
So, is this pack completely finished or is there still some stuff to upscale?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
So, is this pack completely finished or is there still some stuff to upscale?
There will always be textures left to upscale, it's very hard to do a 100% upscale since most of Melee is original art. Most of the important textures have been upscaled though.

Last edited:

oOPotatoOo

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to get this pack to work with dolphin for a while now, but I still can't get it. I'm not really sure what to do to make it work. Can anyone help? I'm using dolphin 4.0.2

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I've been trying to get this pack to work with dolphin for a while now, but I still can't get it. I'm not really sure what to do to make it work. Can anyone help? I'm using dolphin 4.0.2
I don't think texture packs work the same in 4.0.2 compared to recent builds. Have you tried it on an updated build? 5.0 came out recently, I would try that.

oOPotatoOo

Smash Rookie
I tried to use dolphin 5.0 a while ago, but I kept getting an error saying that I was missing api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll. I saw that I had to install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, and that led to another error code (0x80240017).

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I tried to use dolphin 5.0 a while ago, but I kept getting an error saying that I was missing api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll. I saw that I had to install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, and that led to another error code (0x80240017).
Yeah, the new Dolphin builds have a bunch of requirements. I recommend you try to sort it out, not just for the texture pack but for everything else. A lot has changed since 4.0.2.

Smash Rookie
Dublin, residing in Coventry by way of Gedney
I'm guessing this only works with the standard NTSC 1.02 iso. Even so, I have followed the instructions. GALE01 in the textures folder, all files inside the other two folders placed in the GALE01 folder. Ticked both boxes. It says custom textures loaded 0.0mb in 0 seconds. Using Dolphin 5.0-321 for netplay. I have turned netplay settings off. It also does not work with them on.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I'm guessing this only works with the standard NTSC 1.02 iso. Even so, I have followed the instructions. GALE01 in the textures folder, all files inside the other two folders placed in the GALE01 folder. Ticked both boxes. It says custom textures loaded 0.0mb in 0 seconds. Using Dolphin 5.0-321 for netplay. I have turned netplay settings off. It also does not work with them on.
If you're using a main Dolphin branch build, the GALE01 folder with all the textures should go in,

C:\Users\Your-Name-Here\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures

If this is all correct and it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll help you troubleshoot.

Stache

Smash Cadet
Using Dolphin 5.0-321 for netplay.
That's an easy fix. The smash ladder build is portable right out of the box. You can either fix it by deleting the portable.txt file from your dolphin folder, or you can put the GALE01 folder in the textures folder where your version of dolphin is located.

organizedchaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
OrganizedChaosHD
If you're using a main Dolphin branch build, the GALE01 folder with all the textures should go in,

C:\Users\Your-Name-Here\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures

If this is all correct and it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll help you troubleshoot.
having the same problem, installed it the same and it still says 0.0mb in 0 seconds, idk what I did wrong, still using 5.0-312

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
having the same problem, installed it the same and it still says 0.0mb in 0 seconds, idk what I did wrong, still using 5.0-312
Try what Stache said above

That's an easy fix. The smash ladder build is portable right out of the box. You can either fix it by deleting the portable.txt file from your dolphin folder, or you can put the GALE01 folder in the textures folder where your version of dolphin is located.
The smashladder build seems to be portable, meaning the User folder is located where the .exe is located. You should place the GALE01 folder in User/Load/Textures.

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
Just started using this! so awesome. makes a huge difference. Going to try stacking it with custom character skins!

Nellerboo

Smash Rookie
Technically yes! If someone were to take the time to import all of the textures into an ISO using DAT Texture Wizard, you could then have Melee HD. It would take hours to do though and i'm definitely not planning on doing anything like that anytime soon..

Jellykid

Smash Rookie
How does this work for mac I have all the files i just don't know how to load the textures in

Hellkrai

Smash Rookie
NNID
HellkraiNNID
3DS FC
0748-4330-7424
Posted in current thread

Last edited:

Ax-now

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
AX#282
Hello, I followed the instructions but the HD textures do not work, there is an yellow error message when launching Melee:
"Warning: Opening the graphics configuration will reset setting and might cause issues!"
I tried the solution where you have to delete the portable.txt file, textures work but I can no longer play slippi online after doing that.

I searched but I can't find a solution, Does anyone have the solution ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom