• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2016 Melee has almost 100k viewers on twitch.

forkbomb

Smash Rookie
I don't follow the ssb scene that much but man high end melee is fun to watch, it looks like lots of twitch viewers agree as well, only league has more viewers atm.

the most iv seen from SSB4 is like 30k.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Sm4sh got pretty good viewership as well. At least 80k at its peak.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Melee peaked at over 100k if you combine both streams.

Also it was the most unbelievably incredible top 32 of any game I've ever seen.

That last set between Hugs and ChuDat, especially that last game... was the most exciting Melee action I've ever seen.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Together Super Smash Bros had 200,000 viewers today. Think about that.

I really like how Melee and Smash 4 complimented each other today. Happy Evo everyone!

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
yeah i'm guessing probably ~130k on the main stream for melee today if not more. apex 2015 got over 100k viewers so it'd surprise me if it went any lower than that considering that it's a bigger tournament and i feel like it's been more highly anticipated in the ever-growing melee scene since there's been so much discussion about what it means for armada, mango, ppmd, and even hungrybox to win. really good to see melee get more exposure, such a sick game

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
So I expect quite big numbers tonight, but do remember that the NA LCS is on around the same time (thank the internet for multitwitch etc.) but it ends nicely in time for the last couple of rounds of melee - I really could see a HUGE number coming out of that - it was what, 110k for the last bit of top 32. The traffic will be there on the site.

The only flip side is Sunday night, and the stream is ending around 2am in Europe - meaning some viewers might be forced to go early.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I was curious how they got two streams but it was a good call so I had two different sets I could have watched.

Shame I couldn't for Smash 4.

Smash 4 top 8 peaked at around 80-100K, Melee got 200K at it's peak in top 8.

Good stuff to both games though,

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I think Smash 4 's finals kinda got messed up by being shoved in the middle of the afternoon when Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat X, and Melee were all playing at the same time.

Smash 4 had the second largest number of entrants at Evo this year. Why was it not on Sunday with the other top games? They should have bumped Guilty Gear's finals to Saturday, and either played Smash 4 in the slot Guilty Gear had on Sunday or bumped MK X to the earlier slot and give Smash 4 that time slot.

I have a question, when did Melee get its 100K viewers? Was it during the Finals when it has nothing else to compete with. I hate to say this, but Smash 4 got screwed in the scheduling department at Evo.

It should have been on Sunday with the other top games at Evo, not shoved in an afternoon slot where it competed with three other popular games.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think Smash 4 's finals kinda got messed up by being shoved in the middle of the afternoon when Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat X, and Melee were all playing at the same time.

Smash 4 had the second largest number of entrants at Evo this year. Why was it not on Sunday with the other top games? They should have bumped Guilty Gear's finals to Saturday, and either played Smash 4 in the slot Guilty Gear had on Sunday or bumped MK X to the earlier slot and give Smash 4 that time slot.

I have a question, when did Melee get its 100K viewers? Was it during the Finals when it has nothing else to compete with. I hate to say this, but Smash 4 got screwed in the scheduling department at Evo.

It should have been on Sunday with the other top games at Evo, not shoved in an afternoon slot where it competed with three other popular games.
They didn't want two games from the same series on the same day.

Still for Saturday game it did dang well.

Melee almost beat everyone one getting a record again, only for Street fighter 4 to beat it out.

That is still damn impressive.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506

Smash 4 guy here. When the original announcements were made I was secretly a little salty, but when Evo got here I couldn't care less. In retrospect, I think the scheduling could not have been better for a number of reasons.
Since it was on Saturday it had the Top 32 morning to ourselves and then Top 8 slightly crossing over with Melee Top 32. We got all of big stuff on one day and we didn't compete time or attention-wise with Melee so that didn't even have to start any friction between enthusiasts of the respective games and a lot of Melee people tuned into Smash 4 for that since Melee didn't even start yet. I was at a big tournament that day and we were all watching it on a bunch of TVs and the Melee folks were even getting hyped for the Abadango/MVD timeout-almost KO, the Esam vs Abadango fight, the Abadango vs Dabuz fight (damn, Abadango brings hype haha), Nairo vs ZeRo, and ZeRo vs Mr. R. It was actually quite amazing because though we never needed Melee's validation or whatever, Smash 4 got a lot of Melee's attention that day and a bit more mutual respect.

Right after that we tuned into Melee Top 32 and all started chanting and hyping together and had a wonderful day. I think the moral of the story is that truly both mainstream Smash games had a great Evo and didn't step on anyone's toes and we both really showed what we had to offer to the community without any petty salt getting in the way of that.

Sorry for ranting, happy Evo everyone!

Tempus

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 on Saturday hung around 90k during most of the finals on Saturday, with a crest at 102k that I noticed. Highest viewership stream on Saturday, bar none, despite being at 2pm. Melee got about 70k on main stream, didn't watch secondary stream. Didn't follow Tekken, KI, or MKX, but popped in every 30 mins or so just to check viewership, and none of them even crested 80, and mostly they were 50-60k ish. So even melee semis beat out the non-smash main stream!

Of course, on Sunday, Melee broke 200k, breaking all Apex records, until SF IV got all the way up to 250k. In total, Smash viewership combined between the two titles was larger than any other game, and if you exclude SF IV, was almost larger than ALL THE OTHER GAMES COMBINED.

Smash scene pretty much owned EVO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom