• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hay sleepy :awesome: What all would I need if I wanted to change the icons/stocks for all the characters in the game?

My goal is to make them invisible so that we can see during teams, is that possible?
It's totally possible to make stock icons invisible.
However.......
finding/editing them is very tedious. Every stock icon is indexed, and their palette hex is placed very far from where the texture hex is placed. You texture stock icons in the file
IfAll.usd

You'd need to know what the exact hex of both the texture AND the palette are if you'd want to search for them.

EDIT, actually..........

http://www.mediafire.com/?5vcc0j755qs5add

Try this. I tested it in Dolphin and nothing odd happened, but please let me know if there are any side effects... Not sure if I hexed everything correct near the end of the file.
Also, make sure to replace the IfAll.USD file, not the IfAll.DAT file. (=

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Acryte or standardtoaster, how do you guys (or anyone else) go about finding article floating points for characters?

Stuff like Kirby's escapable Fthrow/Bthrow or losing jumps on Final Cutter, F/U throw may be attached to respective floats and I have a great interest in them. But really I'd love to be self-reliant in my curiosity, that's all. ^^

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I usually just find the hitbox of an article and the floats are near there. If I know the frame data such as landing lag is the same on a move in melee as it is in brawl, you can just search for that landing lag and compare it to brawl's floating points because they're almost always in the same order.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I was trying to find the floats for Kirby's throws as well, didn't have much luck though.

As Acryte mentioned most of the B move features are located right after the attribute data for said character. And they go in the order of B, side B, Up B, Down B.

Some characters that have other unique attributes that aren't linked to B moves are usually right after this data (Yoshi's second jump, Samus/Link/Ylink grapple, Link/Ylink Dair 'bounce' etc.) Floats for projectiles are located passed this, right before the hitbox data of the projectile (they are scattered and you usually have to search for them)

Regaining jumps back from an up B would be tricky as it isn't located with the rest of this float data. It's possible to remove the special free fall from non up B, B moves however.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Ah, that's what I figured standardtoaster. Thanks.

@phish-it: Very interesting bits of information. Very much appreciated. Although since you mentioned it, how would you go about disable special fall from non-Up Specials?

phish-it

Smash Champion
Well first you'd have to find where it is located. The float value for this could vary but changing the value to 0, will disable special free fall anything else usually enables it. (I'm not sure if there are other values with different effects, but it might be possible in the case of C. Falcon and Ganondorfs down B that give them their jump back.)

For example in Ganondorf's data the floats at 38D8 and 38DC represent the landing lag from the side B. The former if you don't hit anything, the latter if you hit something. If you set these values to 0, the side B will not have any landing lag nor will go into the special free fall animation. (meaning you can side b off and then still attack after the lag)

In Ness' data the float located at 36D4 is the pk thunder free fall. Set this value to 0 and you can still attack after hitting yourself with the pk thunder. This is the only Up B which I have found you can disable special free fall, but the move itself behaves much different than other Up B's so this might be why.

EDIT: Wow look at that. So you can disable special free fall on all up B moves. Seems it is the same float as landing lag in some cases. The only problem is you can infinitely Up B like this. It's funny but not practical unless we can find out how to change that.

phish-it

Smash Champion
The value at 3448 is run acceleration, which is the same (30) for all characters.

35F4: .4: ??
35F8: 30: Up B landing lag
35FC: 2: ??
3600: 2: ??

3604: .04: Down B transform Gravity?

The float value for the landing lag is for when you Up B near the ground. The landing lag for Up B'ing high and free falling is the number/7.5. So normally low landing lag is 30, high landing lag is 4.

I couldn't find anything else such as momentum, angle or traveling time, oddly it's probably somewhere else in the data.

Here is some needle data:

39B4: 30: Needle duration (frames)
39B8: 120: Idle needle duration on ground (frames)
39BC: 4: Needle traveling speed

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Added some Ness floats to the wiki page. Seems a good chunk of PK Flash and PK Thunder are located elsewhere. PK Fire probably has some floats related to projectile lifetime and projectile pillar lifetime. Somewhere~

it's gonna be fun doing Mewtwo one of these days

obv :079:

revel8n

Smash Cadet
However.......
finding/editing them is very tedious. Every stock icon is indexed, and their palette hex is placed very far from where the texture hex is placed. You texture stock icons in the file
IfAll.usd

You'd need to know what the exact hex of both the texture AND the palette are if you'd want to search for them.
*sigh* i really need to get back to this stuff again. Guess i need to get around to making it easier to see the location of data within these files.

Any other programmers around here?

Would help to better explain how these file are structured to someone that might have more time for this particular format than i do at the moment, heh. i will be getting back to it eventually...as getting the texture and palette locations is actually pretty trivial. identifying which are which would be the real issue, but with a proper tool displaying what is at each offset it would be much simpler.

Since it has been a while, may even be able to decipher more of the unknown areas now if i get the chance to look into it a find others here that have been investigating the data manually to cross reference findings with.

Hopefully i can get to making it easier to move and relocated data as well thus simpler to test resizing data.

Will see what i can make time for...

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
It's totally possible to make stock icons invisible.
However.......
IfAll.usd

EDIT, actually..........

http://www.mediafire.com/?5vcc0j755qs5add

Try this. I tested it in Dolphin and nothing odd happened, but please let me know if there are any side effects... Not sure if I hexed everything correct near the end of the file.
Also, make sure to replace the IfAll.USD file, not the IfAll.DAT file. (=
I haven't haxed anything ever, what would I need to download as well as how?

Steelia

Smash Champion
I haven't haxed anything ever, what would I need to download as well as how?
First post. :d

Main stuff I use though:

Photoshop CS3 (all texture editing)
Hex Editor Neo 4.21 (hexing)
Hex Workshop v6 (editing _9 palette hex)
GC-Tool (to insert textures into SSBM)
GCRebuilder 1.0 (to replace smaller music files with larger ones, and if adding many other textured files at once)

Programs/Other files I use when converting files to appropriate formats:

TexConv.exe
tpl_insert.exe
TCS_Creator.bat

TexConv.bat (found in many of texture packs in this post)

The easiest textures to edit and replace in the files are the ones that do NOT end in _8 or _9; those are indexed textures, and require a bit more effort to convert/insert into files without glitching up.

*Characters without indexed textures:
Captain Falcon
Crazy Hand
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Popo/Nana
Master Hand
Mewtwo
Ness
Pichu
Pikachu
Roy
Samus

*Characters with indexed textures:
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Dr. Mario
Giga Bowser
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Link
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Peach
Sandbag
Sheik
Male/Female Wireframes
Yoshi
Young Link
Zelda

*Characters with no textures at all:
Mr. Game & Watch

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
How difficult would it be to learn to do this? I want to give purple Ganondorf a beard, and maybe purple hair. That's all, though. Would that be easy to learn how to do?

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
How difficult would it be to learn to do this? I want to give purple Ganondorf a beard, and maybe purple hair. That's all, though. Would that be easy to learn how to do?
Giving ganondorf purple hair would be pretty easy, just a basic texture hack. Giving ganondorf a beard on the other hand is not possible atm.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hmm.

Something like that maybe? Except better of course. :p

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Just like that, except the rest of him would be what purple ganon typically looks like. I got the idea because I was messing around as that Ganon today. I have green ganon set to him.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Sorry its been so long guys, I haven't had the chance to really do much hacking at all in the last month. I went out with my ship to sea for a month and have been busy as hell. Lots of technician work for me to do and qualification studies too when I'm not troubleshooting so ... hopefully I can get back to doing stuff for this in the next month or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mfVc1U5aFk&list=UUzUuM343s-MMyGEiZn24Hmg&index=1&feature=plcp

some of the balancing stuff nothing really that big except for Klaw after firebreath.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Just curious Acryte, what are you using to record with? I want to showcase some of what I've been doing (pretty much set for a beta test if knew how to hack the Wii to be able to read DvDs) but haven't figured out how to record anything on the Dolphin yet.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Ooh, I've been recording component inputs w/ progressive scan using my happauge hd pvr with component passthrough. That ones quality got messed up a bit when I converted it though because I saved it in a format I couldn't edit later so its choppier... but yea.

If you're recording using dolphin you can use fraps. It works really well for emulators.

:phone:

Alex21

Smash Rookie
Hi !

How can I break the duration limit of a stage music ? I mean that putting a 8 minutes music on Final Destination for example, and not stopping at 1:30 like the original ;) Sorry for my English :bee:

Thank you !

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hi !

How can I break the duration limit of a stage music ? I mean that putting a 8 minutes music on Final Destination for example, and not stopping at 1:30 like the original ;) Sorry for my English :bee:

Thank you !
http://www.mediafire.com/?23ul56artd3p2mo

These are the HPS files I use for music.

zonett - 3:04 before looping (just a renamed onetto2.hps)
zBASE - 7:11 before looping
zEXT - 9:17 before looping

Choose whatever works for you. If you don't want the file to be too big, pick one of the smaller ones. If you have a song/montage you want to make, choose one of the longer ones... Just make sure to use GCRebuilder. (=
GCRebuilder breaks down Melee and allows you to replace smaller files with larger ones, which is especially helpful with the music files.

Alex21

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot ! If I put the 9:17 long, I have to erase some musics to fit the size of the Iso ?

Yesterday I found a link to an ISO with no limit duration, where all the useless stuff is reduced to allow you 14:02 long musics... but it's a MegaUpload link :scared:

Did somebody re-upload that ISO on an other site ? Thanks again :bee:

Milun

Smash Ace
WOW! Nice work Steelia! Also, to those wondering what it originally was, the filename explains it.

I plan to release the .blend file containing the three hats some time in the future, with instructions on how to import them. Some things to note however:

The Blue hat is by far the easiest to edit, which is great considering I hate it the most.
The Green/Red hats may take me a while to implement, because for some odd reason they decided to model the insides of them, that you can never see.
You can't change the texture UV's.

The biggest problem I had was putting Pikachu's head model in there for a reference. I had to use Brawl Pikachu, who is quite different in design to the Melee one (he's fatter), so in the final you're likely to get an odd looking, edited Brawl Model.

That's about it. Oh, and I'll release it with my Skull hat model.

Milun

Smash Ace
Just a headsup, you guys might have to wait a while for the next few hats. Due to the fact that only vertices can be exported properly, I have to play a nightmarish game of connect-the-dots to fill out what didn't extract. The party hat was the easiest of those.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
So Mega Upload is gone, meaning I can't download the iso from SleepK. Can we get a reupload? Or is there somewhere else? Should I just get a non hacked iso?

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
So My Melee works perfectly with all my textures, maps, music, EXCEPT playing peach. i dont know why it just freezes on the loading screen after i choose a map. any suggestion?
i was thinking of replacing all the peach files on the iso with stuff that is properly working from my other isos. i did that with all the textures and the efpe.dat or w/e it was called, but i still couldnt play peach. ne idea??

Top Bottom