• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
whats up with the new black wii consoles?
i heard that they have no DVD drive and u can't play burned game discs on them by soft modding only? is that true?

so in that case hard mod would be the only way?
I've heard all the more recent Wii consoles (starting from when, I can't say) have those new drives that make burned games null. Even sending in your old one to Nintendo to have it fixed, they'll replace the drive you've got so burned stuff won't play. Happened to me quite a while ago, haven't played burned stuff for the longest time now. >:

Apparently any Wii bundled with Mario Kart Wii is an older Wii; you could always try looking for those if things don't work out. Older Wii consoles are floating around somewhere... It's getting pretty hard to find them, though.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
In the past I had to buy a D2B drive to replace with my malfunctioning DVD drive in my Wii. In theory, replacing it with the drive in the new Wiis should work, unless they've been made incompatible.

D2B drives cost about $50.

nube

Smash Apprentice
After burning an SSBM ISO to a DVD, can I insert the DVD into my computer and copy/extract the ISO from the DVD to my computer? Jw

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
In ImgBurn (that's what I use to burn my copies), there is an option "Create an image from disc".
Try it. Maybe it'll work.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
so i tried to insert a PAL PlKb.dat into a NTSC-U 1.00 ISO. It worked fine until I used Kirby's Dthrow; the game hung then.

I've ported 1.02 .dats and whatnot into the ISO with no issues so it may be an isolated issue.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
so i tried to insert a PAL PlKb.dat into a NTSC-U 1.00 ISO. It worked fine until I used Kirby's Dthrow; the game hung then.

I've ported 1.02 .dats and whatnot into the ISO with no issues so it may be an isolated issue.
I just ran a comparison between 1.00 and 1.02 PlKb.dat, and they seem to be identical. I've recreated this dthrow freeze with a 1.02 ISO. If you put NTSC PlKb.dat into a PAL ISO it also freezes on dthrow.

While the files are the same size and have mostly identical construction, some data seems to be rearranged starting around the 0xCD32 area of both dats. That could be the problem area.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Ok so from what I understand it is literally impossible to get melee texture hacks on the new black wii's they sell today at a local retailer. Because first of all... they the bad drives, second there is no gc usb loader so you cant even load the hacked melee iso from an sd card or usb thus I am completely ****ed after having wanted to play melee hacked on a wii.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
So, I was wondering, did someone ever think about redrawing ICs into Santa Claus ?

Hax

Smash Champion
everything was going perfectly until i got up to the apps.rar part. cIOS and the mios patcher both gave me errors.

initially, the mios patcher gave me something along the lines of "size not 800". the cIOS reads "Reading "'IOS38-64-u3610.wad", please wait.... ERROR! (ret = -1)'

i redid my internet connection as the guide suggests and now the mios patcher goes a bit further, but still seems to have an error. it tells me that a file cannot be found on the internet and ends with "hash BAD". the cIOS patcher still gives me the same error it did before

help?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
just dropping by to say hi,
and that I havn't quit the melee community ;)

just had some downtime, and restarted on my converter with PyOpenGL

you can DL my unfinished melee converter though on my google code project page...
(player models don't convert properly, but most trophies convert perfectly)

just search "Universal Model Converter Dev version" ;)
(can't copy/paste the link on wii)
enjoy :)

Or win a white one from a one of those claw machines.
they really do that... :srs:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I have a few questions, and considering their breadth a quick search doesn't really suffice. Basically what I want to know is:

1) Are the hacks (specifically textures and music) that are done with Melee typically done for the GameCube or Wii? Are there many different methods that can be used between the two systems?

So far the hacks that I've seen involve recreating the game iso. So does that mean that the system is unimportant because you can burn it to a disk and play it on either? Or is there an easier way to get the hacks to console without having to burn? (I'm thinking perhaps replacing the disc drive with a hard drive or ssd)

2) If there are multiple ways to go about these hacks, which ways offer the most freedom? And which are easiest?

3) [Less important question] What about emulated set-ups? What I mean is, how does the experience of playing on computer (not online, just in-person) compare to console? I've never tried it (can you even plug in GC controllers to a PC somehow? I haven't looked into that). If it's comparable (possibly competitively viable?) what are the hacks for it like in terms of implementation?

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Tcll
I saw the topic you made, very nice. Glad to see such a jump in progress was made. I'll be keeping tabs on that topic, the best of luck to you. :D

@DRGN

1-) These hacks can be used for either the GCN OR the Wii... it just depends on which system you have soft-modded or hard-modded; the Wii being soft-modded is the easiest and most popular, but there are other things like the SD Media Launcher where the iso is read from an SD Card and can be used on both systems... which is what I use, since my Wii can't read burned discs anymore, and my GCN isn't hard-modded to read burned stuff (though SD Media Launcher has a tendency to freeze quite often, and has very annoying loading sounds :p ).

2-) I think I might've answered 2 above... Like I said, a homebrewed Wii is most recommended. It's a quick read on the internet. But if it's a newer system with a newer disc drive, it probably won't be able to read burned stuff; the old disc drive I had was replaced when I sent mine to Nintendo for maintenance. ;_;

3-) oooh, emulated play all depends on the computer you've got. If your computer's a gaming one, it just might play Dolphin at more than 2-3 frames a second like mine, hahaha. I use Dolphin more to test how textures and such will look before putting them on a disc/SD card for playing.

Hopefully that answered something. (=

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
@DRGN:
I'm just going to answer your last Q...

as Steelia said "it depends on the computer"
mine plays melee at about 45-53 fps
(Dolphin (3089 with 3460's plugins), or 3972)

Dolphin doesn't run on my current compy though (I have 6), as SSE2 isn't supported

I have a GCN controller connected to my rig using the 'Universal Controller Converter'
(converts GCN/PS2 to USB)
^it has an XBox port, but it says you need a driver to be able to use it >:O

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
it just depends on which system you have soft-modded or hard-modded;
I assume these are for nothing more than allowing the system to play burned discs?

if it's a newer system with a newer disc drive, it probably won't be able to read burned stuff; the old disc drive I had was replaced when I sent mine to Nintendo for maintenance. ;_;
Off hand would you happen to know of a thread around here that goes into that? If not I'll search around the net.

Hopefully that answered something. (=
It certainly did, thanks. :) I looked up a few things you mentioned; I never even knew about the SD Media Launcher before.

(though SD Media Launcher has a tendency to freeze quite often, and has very annoying loading sounds :p ).
I'm assuming (since I've never played around with it) its issues are from the fact that it's essentially trying to use two different sources to load things. I believe it's possible to use an SD card with the GameCube more directly, substituting the entire disc drive. Right now that's sounding pretty interesting to me. I bet it would be more stable. Obviously it would be a bit more work that these other mods, but I'm not too afraid of that.

@DRGN:
I'm just going to answer your last Q...

as Steelia said "it depends on the computer"
mine plays melee at about 45-53 fps
(Dolphin (3089 with 3460's plugins), or 3972)

Dolphin doesn't run on my current compy though (I have 6), as SSE2 isn't supported

I have a GCN controller connected to my rig using the 'Universal Controller Converter'
(converts GCN/PS2 to USB)
^it has an XBox port, but it says you need a driver to be able to use it >:O
Oh, ok. Wasn't there another emulator that worked with Melee? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the original smash for 64. Also, what's SSE2?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
eh... I'm not entirely sure what SSE2 is...
I think it has something to do with graphics processing >_>
all I know is it's something supported by the emulators >_>

meh... anyways...
dolphin returns an error before booting, PCSX2 (094 works perfectly while 098 gives me a console error)
and a few other games just black out or don't run...

PJ64 works perfectly (the one I mostly play)

also...
there was another GCN emulater that worked pretty well (performance wize),
but you had to boot it from the command line...

I honestly forgot about that one XDD
now that I know how to load an exe with a batch file, I might DL it again :D

hopefully it works with this rig >_>
(the rig I've been waiting years to set up again (it blew the RAM))

EDIT:
IK Minecraft uses all the latest utilities, and it works just fine...
even with my crappy video cards installed... XDD

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
EPIC BUMP >:D

I just need to know the order of how melee loads it's files...

you guys are really gonna <3 this ^_^
I'm patching brawl with melee =D

I've already successfully replaced main.dol
but now I need to know what files come after that...
(just to get me to the title screen for now)

can anyone answer this for me?? :/

btw, for those who wish to know,
I don't have to burn disks...
all I need is an SD card and Riivolution ;)

this will make hacking melee alot easier. :D

but you must have melee entirely on your SD >_>

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I'm currently looking into replacing the Wii or GC disc drive with an SD card. That's how I'll do my hacks.

Steelia

Smash Champion
EPIC BUMP >:D

I just need to know the order of how melee loads it's files...

you guys are really gonna <3 this ^_^
I'm patching brawl with melee =D

I've already successfully replaced main.dol
but now I need to know what files come after that...
(just to get me to the title screen for now)

can anyone answer this for me?? :/

btw, for those who wish to know,
I don't have to burn disks...
all I need is an SD card and Riivolution ;)

this will make hacking melee alot easier. :D

but you must have melee entirely on your SD >_>
Awesome stuff. Just out of curiosity... if you're patching Brawl with Melee, would that increase the size of the Melee iso? Or would it still need to be under 1.47GB in order to remain stable? For the sake of longer audio and such things is why I ask.

Either way, this would be VERY beneficial. I don't know how well Riivolution works, though. I hope it's not as clunky and static-y as SD Media Launcher. <_>

Best of luck to you, though! This sounds very promising. (=

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
@Steelia: heh
all I'm doing is copying the files from melee onto my SD (/Riivolution/MeleeBrawl/melee)
and then building an xml to add the files to the brawl disk
(replacing: main.dol, fst.bin, (apploader.img with appldr.bin), and (boot.bin with header.bin))

brawl's disk is only required for selecting MeleeBrawl from the riivolution menu.

also...
riivolution (from what I hear) works just as good as gecko-OS...
you just have to do more work to get the same results...

the difference between them:
Gecko-OS is a cheat code engine
Riivolution is a game patcher

although it's a bit clunky as I can't seem to select MeleeBrawl after trying to patch Melee's GM data.
(the option just disappears when trying to add the files)

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I hope it's not as clunky and static-y as SD Media Launcher. <_>
Yeah; after reading how buggy that method is I immediately started looking for an alternative. The directness of going in through the drive interface -and using no mechanical parts- should be much more stable.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
ok...
this method isn't looking very promising... >_>

all that works the loaders:
main.dol patch
appldr.bin
appldr.bin patch over apploader.img
header.bin
header.bin patch over boot.bin
fst.bin patch

whenever I try to add any other files,
the option 'MeleeBrawl' disappears from the riivolution selection screen...

I'll ask on this and see what I can do >_>

voorhese

Smash Master
This may be way out of what we can do now, but is there a way to get the skin of a character? I am dabbling in custom skins for LoL, and i see some of them just have character models ripped right out of other games, and pasted over existing characters (replacing their models). From what i can tell based on the character movement, after the Skin is placed over the existing skeleton it moves fine, so we wouldnt need to work on like animating anything. Point is I want a captain falcon or ganon skin for my characters! any ideas?

hot$

Smash Ace
does anyone know the name of the audio file for captain falcon? i hate his captain america dub crap ><
trying to revert to the normal sound file.. but i can't find it.. help? <3

adechrist

Smash Cadet
does anyone know the name of the audio file for captain falcon? i hate his captain america dub crap ><
trying to revert to the normal sound file.. but i can't find it.. help? <3
it's captain.ssm. It shows up twice. One is for the the Japanese audio, the other is for the US (english) audio. Go to the Audio folder, then go into the US folder, and then you'll find captain.ssm

Top Bottom