• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Jov

Smash Rookie
wow, i've watched that video like a hundred times and never noticed that lol thanks Gardevior. I feel like an idiot now. please excuse all my stupidity
Then which is the REAL lenght from your HPS? The ones I made have between 13 to 14 minutes and only a good ear will notice the change of sound (meaning that I didn't let the music stop and restart from the beginning).

EDIT: Oh, and I got a question, why the HPS I put in Corneria has the volumen soooo low? I think it's 'cause the other sound file, corneria.ssm, from the shooting planes, and how do I fix it?

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
I found how to change the color of the light which reflected on the edges of pokémon stadium.

GrPs.usd - Offset 11168 to 1116a

ff 00 ff = magenta
ff 00 00 = red
00 00 ff = blue

Example for magenta

chaoticyeshua

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I am needing the background images used for the main menu, character select screen, and stage select screen. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I need to do to either rip it or find it to download? Thanks!!

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if this works with DVD-RW(Rewritable DVD-Rs) I don't know if its been mentioned before, but I heard that it only works with DVD-R and DVD+R which can't be over written when data is already applied to disc.

koopa222

Smash Rookie
OMG JUST GOT MELEE HAKCS TO WORK, AND IT'S AMAZING!!!! BTW does any know how to make custom songs in GH3? I really want some of those hacks

nube

Smash Apprentice

why oh why can i do all this random crap with side-b but i can't find shine colours? WHYYYY

(textures courtesy of SW)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Alright, I have a pre-burned ISO copy downloaded from Mura (or something like that), but the Dreamland 64 music choice combined with the Streets of Rage background is quite...annoying. So now I'm downloading GC-Tool and getting ready to mess with HPS files in order to change the previous song selection for Dreamland 64 to something more appropriate like the "Streets of Rage- Fighting on the Streets" song.

Now...is it possible to edit the details on the ISO after it has already been burned? Or do I have to edit the details that I want before I burn? I hope it's the former...

Rykard

Smash Ace
Alright, I have a pre-burned ISO copy downloaded from Mura (or something like that), but the Dreamland 64 music choice combined with the Streets of Rage background is quite...annoying. So now I'm downloading GC-Tool and getting ready to mess with HPS files in order to change the previous song selection for Dreamland 64 to something more appropriate like the "Streets of Rage- Fighting on the Streets" song.

Now...is it possible to edit the details on the ISO after it has already been burned? Or do I have to edit the details that I want before I burn? I hope it's the former...
unfortunately, you have to burn another copy for it to have the changes you made on it. what you can do though is get the dolphin emulator to test out the ISO before burning it to make sure it is to your liking for next time

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Use GCRebuilder over GCTool, I would recommend. It has all the functions of GCTool with the same format, but can do SO much more and actually takes up less space than GCTool on your harddrive (which I don't get, but w/e the program is great).

Steelia

Smash Champion
Use GCRebuilder over GCTool, I would recommend. It has all the functions of GCTool with the same format, but can do SO much more and actually takes up less space than GCTool on your harddrive (which I don't get, but w/e the program is great).
Quoted for truth; GCRev gives a LOT more freedom, as you can also take apart the entire Melee and piece it back together (it rebuilds it for you when you're done)... That's how we get our 15 minute songs to replace the 3 minute ones and such. ;)

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I tried to put my first Melee-textures into the game. However, once I was finished implementing the textures of the default Fox I wanted to replace and viewed it in Dolphin, I observed a problem with the textures:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2778/problemvg.jpg

As you can see in the picture, two of Fox's textures are completely black instead of the green colors I used, namely the front vest texture and the front pant texture. The textures on the back as well as all the other smaller textures are working. The platform floor of YS is black, too, but that's definitly a Dolphin problem.
Does anyone know this kind of problem?
Any help would be appreciated!

To get the files into the ISO, I used Steelia's texture set of Fox, created the tcs-files by hand and used GodFed`s tool to create the tpls and insert them into the .DAT-file from the texture set (I was not able to do the Hex-editing part of the hacking process manually). I used the GC-Rebuilder to edit the ISO.

nube

Smash Apprentice
@GC-Tool/GC-Rebuilder discussion
Personally, I use GC-Tool way more often than GC-Rebuilder (which I use only to replace HPS files). I find GC-Tool faster/more efficient at what I need to get done (constantly replace files). But that's just my opinion :)

@hatacatan
My guess is that the problem has to do with improper hexing. Otherwise, try simply redoing the whole process for those two textures. If you can't seem to find the problem, you could post your tga's and see if anyone would take a look and try to find the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways, progress! :)

red

green

blue

magenta

yellow

turqoise

white

black

notes:
-sorry about the huge image size
-screenshots were intentionally taken on a brighter stage; it's harder to see some colours (ex. blue) on a stage like FD
-the change is done in the same as the file that changes laser colour (PlFx.dat for Fox, and PlFc.dat for Falco)
-any colour from 00 00 00 to FF FF FF can be used. Say you want a green side-b, but find pure green kinda ugly, you will be able to make your own shade of green.
-small DIY guide coming soon.
-since most of you would probably like to choose your own laser and side-b colours, you can just do it yourself. However, in case anyone wants the file I use (aka you're too lazy to make your own), I will release it.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Alright, I went through everything step by step several times now, but it won't work. I also put the original texture back into the .dat using the exact same procedure, I simply did the same steps with the old texture, but it could be displayed ingame perfectly. So when I come back to implementing my on TGAs, those two textures won't be displayed correctly. I assume that this means a problem with the TGA itself, but I didn't make anything different from the other, working textures.
I uploaded the two problematic textures, maybe someone can try if they can display them ingame.

http://rapidshare.com/files/420357504/problematic_textures.rar

Thanks again for the help!

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
i made my firts texture
is a costume for fox for him orange colour, the texture is goku

but i read the tutorial to textures and no understand nothing to compilate the texture in archive .dat and i watching the tutorial of steelia but the TCS creator no run(appears error) and texconv no found -.-"

can help me?

it is my texture

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=08UN9HE1

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Nube - If you're worried about images taking up too much room try using the collapse tags.

[ collapse="insert title for collapsible window here"]picture rofl [/collapse]

Without the space obviously.

Anyway freakin awesome stuff xD, if I wasn't lazy, and I could figure out how to get this to work I would =/

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
koopa - erm, i think it's possible with the right cioses...

toonwriter - sure, we could provide em for you.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Okay, I found a solution for my problem: It really was a problem with the TGAs, when saving them, Photoshop sometimes does things to them, which the the game does not like (even though they were 32 bit). The solution was as simple as this: I saved the TGAs as JPGs, reopened the JPGs in Photoshop and saved them as TGAs again. After that every trouble was gone.

koopa222

Smash Rookie
Can someone give me a fresh melee ISO that I can put hacks on?
BTW Nuro's ISO sort of sucks. Crap music hacks (lots of death metal, the worst genre of music) and MANY bad textures. The only worthwhile hacks on there are rainbow FD and masked mewtwo.

Rykard

Smash Ace
Can someone give me a fresh melee ISO that I can put hacks on?
BTW Nuro's ISO sort of sucks. Crap music hacks (lots of death metal, the worst genre of music) and MANY bad textures. The only worthwhile hacks on there are rainbow FD and masked mewtwo.
if you hate his so much, why don't you just rebuild his with the hacks you want on it? and really, you don't have to say stuff like that since he put a hell of a lot of time and effort into making it and you got it for nothing

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Email Sleepyk's auto-reply address...

You can choose a blank ISO slate from there, but it will have a few changes on it (opening vid, victory themes, and ganon's red texture iirc)

`DNS`

Smash Lord
can someone give me a fresh melee iso that i can put hacks on?
Btw nuro's iso sort of sucks. Crap music hacks (lots of death metal, the worst genre of music) and many bad textures. The only worthwhile hacks on there are rainbow fd and masked mewtwo.
hey guys i have an opinion

koopa222

Smash Rookie
if you hate his so much, why don't you just rebuild his with the hacks you want on it? and really, you don't have to say stuff like that since he put a hell of a lot of time and effort into making it and you got it for nothing
I'm going to make my own ISO, why do you think I'm asking for a fresh ISO?
Also I said I don't like it, that doesn't mean other people don't like it. I'm just a person who hates death metal and texture hacks that don't resemble the character they represent whatsoever (kira over marth) and zombie textures.

nube

Smash Apprentice
I'm just a person who hates texture hacks that don't resemble the character they represent
>_> That's like over 90% of all texture hacks, and prob the most fun thing about playing melee hacks. If you wanna play as captain falcon, what's wrong with a normal SSBM disk?

batman ftw

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways, sorry for the wait on the side-b colours pplz. I had lots of school stuff, and also wanted to do more testing. I will write up a little thing on how to change side-b colours later tonight if I can :)

Also, I did more messing around with the PlFx.dat file. Turns out, infinite stretching lasers and double/laggy side-b image doesn't make the game freeze, so they can be used. ('Cept they're not exactly legit, I'll talk about that in my next post)

koopa222

Smash Rookie
>_> That's like over 90% of all texture hacks, and prob the most fun thing about playing melee hacks. If you wanna play as captain falcon, what's wrong with a normal SSBM disk?
I'm talking about hacks like Kira over Marth, where the hack looks NOTHING like Kira

Top Bottom