• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Lol Foxtwo. ***** looks ********.

idk if this makes much of a diff, but if fox had falcos moveset you think he would be better than fox currently?

Does anyone know why adding text over an image makes it fail to compile or whatever. To add "text" could you take the image into another program and then flatten it and then use it.

Or can you only use the paint brush and color swaps?
ask me about it in person, i dont want to go into detail about everything move swap in this thread.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Ok so

Me and my homie GSUB went through the whole audio hack tutorial today and did all the steps in it. We only decided to edit one stage to test out (battlefield)

We popped in the disc at the end of it but the GC back up launcher wouldn't even acknowledge its existence.

We know it's not the GC backup launcher because we put in another hacked disc that worked fine.

Additional info: We used this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoPJeVqjeJc

When we got the dump file or whatever, a 9 minute version of it played and it was slowed down a lot.

heeeelp

Steelia

Smash Champion
Whoo, there are one or two things to go in accordance with this protocol...

*Are you using NTSC or PAL?

*Is the hacked disc one of SleepyK's custom hacked ones, or was it a "clean" one?

*If/When you used GC-Tool and got that message -- "Do you also want to change the old filesize to the new one in TOC? (You know hat you are doing, aren't you?)" -- did you make sure to press NO? For some reason, pressing YES can screw up the file, and sometimes effect other aspects of the game.

*If you used a custom, were you sure you named the file correctly? Something like izumi.hps would be correct, whereas izumii.hps could cause problems.

*If you used an original (or even a custom), did you accidentally exceed the 1.35GB capacity of a normal GCN game? A DVD-R may be able to hold 4~ish GBs, but that doesn't mean you can fill up your custom over the limit -- the limit for a GCN game is 1.35GB. Exceed that, and it won't work for whatever reason.

*Either something of those sorts, or there's a problem with the music file itself... I'll assume you used hps_insert?

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master

*Are you using NTSC or PAL?

I'm guessing NTSC since I live in socal, but this is a custom disc right? So how could it be PAL?

*Is the hacked disc one of SleepyK's custom hacked ones, or was it a "clean" one?
I got Sleepy's ISO

*If/When you used GC-Tool and got that message -- "Do you also want to change the old filesize to the new one in TOC? (You know hat you are doing, aren't you?)" -- did you make sure to press NO? For some reason, pressing YES can screw up the file, and sometimes effect other aspects of the game.

I'm sure I pressed no

*If you used a custom, were you sure you named the file correctly? Something like izumi.hps would be correct, whereas izumii.hps could cause problems.

I'm pretty sure on this one but I'll double check.

*If you used an original (or even a custom), did you accidentally exceed the 1.35GB capacity of a normal GCN game? A DVD-R may be able to hold 4~ish GBs, but that doesn't mean you can fill up your custom over the limit -- the limit for a GCN game is 1.35GB. Exceed that, and it won't work for whatever reason.

Is it possible to exceed that with only one song?

*Either something of those sorts, or there's a problem with the music file itself... I'll assume you used hps_insert?

Yes
I think I'm just gonna run through again and see if I can get it working.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@Steelia-I would be using Paint.net to edit the images.

How far is your progress on the Hex editing to change the colors, obv. mewtwo in particular. My friend Toph wants to know.

Steelia

Smash Champion
@stabbedbyanipple: All right, I do believe SleepyK's ISO is NTSC (v1.0?)...

Sounds like you used GC-Tool, so the name of the custom music file should not be of any consequence. I thought perhaps you were building one from the ground-up with gcrev.

With the way SleepyK handled his ISO (erasing all the excess videos and shrinking music), I really doubt you would've gone over the size limit that easily.

hps_insert wouldn't corrupt a music file, I know that... Once it reaches the end of the file, it automatically cuts off the inserted music if it exceeds the size limit of the .HPS.

Ah, with GC Backup Launcher, did it give a weird glitched green look? Sometimes it does that, even with discs that you've played a million times. (I know it does that to me occasionally, either with a newly-burned disc, or whenever I haven't played it for like a week or something.)
Yeah, I'd recommend retrying the disc once or twice more, and see if it CAN bypass that glitch screen.

@KAOSTAR: Ooh, Paint.net; never heard anyone use that before. I'm not sure how that might effect textures, but, so long as they retain their .tga format (and alpha layers, when applicable), it should probably work fine.
And, changing the colors...? I know I've given Mewtwo a few textures... if that's what you mean.

@Steelia-I would be using Paint.net to edit the images.

How far is your progress on the Hex editing to change the colors, obv. mewtwo in particular. My friend Toph wants to know.
LOL toph doesnt want to know about mewtwo textures. try checking illusionary labyrinth, theres a **** load of mewtwo textures and a shadow ball texture too.

smakis

Smash Ace

a few questions about this, what changes to the game can happen? I mean can moves get changed and stuff like that? I have pressed yes every time and since I just burned pal im a bit worried the gameplay is somehow changed from pressing yes, also if it boots does that mean it works or just that some parts will make the game crash (like playing as falcon)?

I have only replaced 1-2 music files and 1-2 textures, the rest was rebuilt with gcr.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
a few questions about this, what changes to the game can happen? I mean can moves get changed and stuff like that? I have pressed yes every time and since I just burned pal im a bit worried the gameplay is somehow changed from pressing yes, also if it boots does that mean it works or just that some parts will make the game crash (like playing as falcon)?

I have only replaced 1-2 music files and 1-2 textures, the rest was rebuilt with gcr.
i don't think it really does anything.. i haven't noticed a difference & it hasn't changed the overall ISO size

smakis

Smash Ace
my main worry is that the gameplay has somehow changed, making it not pal original anymore, would be really annoying having to extract everything, add all files (some of which i have deleted) and then rebuild it and waste another disc.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
probably doesn't matter anymore with all the free space we have.
stab, your discs or burner might also be incompatible. it happens.

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
So I ran into a problem.

I'm testing this hacks business for the first time. I got the codejunkies GCN SD media launcher (I'm using a GC) and got the latest update of the iso from SleepyK's auto email (I made no changes to it except changing its name from "hacks.gcm" to "hacks.iso") and put it on a mini DVD.

When I load it up in GcoS, it says "Media not recognized!" Help?

EDIT: My cube won't even spin the disc for some reason.

GSUB

Smash Lord
I thought the HPS Music Hacking section was VERY informative, but hard for the average person, JUST wanting some music in their melee, to understand.

So I made a simple-to-read, step by step guide.
I've already taught two people over AIM how to make their own hps files using this "method."
It's exactly what I go through in my head.

Take it or leave it, here it is.

GSUB

Smash Lord
HPS Music Hacking in SSBM! Simple Step-By-Step Guide!

Step 1: Getting What You Need!
a. Download this pack of tools: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GAE510W9
b. Once downloaded, open that file, and drag and drop the folder called "Audio" (within the folder, "Tools") somewhere convenient!
c. Search google for "hssbm.rar" DOWNLOAD THAT FILE!
d. Now open hssbm.rar, and place the file "spqr.iso" in your new Audio folder (as created above!).
e. Find and download the song you would like to hack into Melee! Place that .mp3 into our "Audio" folder.
f. Use your computer's "Search" function to find the program, "cmd.exe" Once you find it, right-click it, then hit, "copy." Now go to your audio folder and press ctrl-v to paste it in there.

Step 2: Picking The Stage!
a. Pick a stage to hack! Only some (most tournament legal stages) can be music-hacked to their fullest extent, due to some modifications made by Sleepy-K. Once you know the stage you want, find its file name here and remember it:
[collapse=Show Stages]Rainbow Cruise | rcruise.hps
Jungle Japes | kongo.hps
Great Bay | greatbay.hps (song must be 45.8 secs or less here)
Brinstar | zebes.hps
Yoshi's Story | ystory.hps
Yoshi's Island | yorster.hps
Fountain of Dreams | izumi.hps
Green Greens | greens.hps
Corneria | corneria.hps
Pokemon Stadium | pstadium.hps
Poke Floats | purs.hps
Mute City | mutecity.hps
Kongo Jungle 64 | old_dk.hps
Dream Land 64 | old_kb.hps
Battlefield | sp_zako.hps
Battlefield Alternate | hyaku.hps
Final Destination | sp_end.hps
Final Destination Alternate | hyaku2.hps
Menu 1 | menu01.hps
Menu 2/Menu Alternate | menu3.hps[/collapse]
b. In the Audio folder, run the program GC-Tool-gamecube. Click File -> Open GC ISO. Under Files type, choose All. Find you iso (spqr) in the Audio folder, where you saved it, and hit open.
c. Press the "+" next to GCM Root on the right side of the screen. Now hit the "+" next to Audio. Under that list, find the filename of the stage I asked you to memorize (file_name_here.hps).
d. Now right-click your file, and choose Extract File. Save the file to your Audio folder (don't try and make separate folders here, everything needs to be in that one folder.)
After your first music hack, you can re-use this .hps for any stage music you want. So after this guide, I recommend you name this file, STAGEMUSIC.hps. If you're doing menu music, then rename it MENUMUSIC.hps, after completion of this guide. (As in, you can skip this step when coming back to make more hps music files, seeing as you already have one downloaded).

Step 3: Getting Your MP3 Ready!
a. Open the program Wavosaur.1.0.4.0 inside your Audio folder. Once the program has started, hit File -> Open. Choose your .mp3.
b. Trim the song here as to how you would like it to be looped.
c. Now to make the song melee compatible! Click Process -> Resample. In this window, uncheck every box there, leaving them all blank. In the available space to type, replace the number there, with the number, 32000. Hit okay, and wait for it to finish processing. Listen to the song to make sure it sounds right! (if it sounds slow or sped up, you didn't uncheck the boxes when resampling! reopen your file and do that again). After that, hit Process -> Bit Depth Converter. If the song isn't 16 bits, convert it to 16 bits here. Hit okay.
d. Now we need to create a Left Audio file, and a Right Audio file for the song. Click Process -> Convert to Mono -> Left Only. Now hit File -> Save. Save it in your audio file as something recognizable, making sure to note if it's left or right. So I'd recommend, songnameL.wav. Hit save. Now, back in Wavasaur, hit ctrl-z to undo your changes, making the song stereo again. Click Process -> Convert to Mono -> Right Only. Now save it as songnameR.wav, inside your audio folder.
e. Okay! See near the play button? [>], there's a button like THIS [>>|], click inside of your audio track, then CLICK THAT BUTTON! Good. Now right under your audio track, you should see the songs total time! Convert that to seconds, and write it down in notepad or on paper! If it was 3:30:134, now it's 210.134.
f. Close Wavasaur!

Step 4: Making Your New HPS Music File!
a. Remember that cmd.exe I had you paste in your Audio folder? Open it!
b. Inside that command console, right-click and paste this line!:
hps_insert file_name_here.hps songnameL.wav songnameR.wav > My_Offsets.txt

Key:
file_name_here = replace with the .hps file name I had you memorize, the one you extracted, for your stage.
songnameL = replace with whatever you named your left audio file
songnameR = replace with whatever you named your right audio file
c. Hit the Enter key. It will look like nothing happened! But a lot is going in actuality! Inside your Audio folder, you'll notice some new files. To know when cmd.exe is finished doing its thing, compare the file size of the newly created, temp.hps, with the files size of your original .hps, when they are the same size, it's done. This may take some time. (you might have to refresh your folder to notice the change in file size) Also, cmd.exe will have gone back to its neutral typing position. You can now close the command console.
d. Open up the newly created My_Offsets.txt in your audio Folder. Look in the total secs column. Find the closest point of your starting time for the song (presumably, 0.000). Record in that notepad or piece of paper, the offset and total secs from that line, it will look similar to this:
offset:00000080 total secs:0.000
Now do the same thing for your ending time (the total seconds of your song I had you write down earlier). Pretending your time was 210.134, like our example was, you'd put THIS line in that notepad or paper. (notice that I take the smaller time closest to my total time, as opposed to the longer time. This prevents a small audio gap between your total time, and the games closest total time.)
offset:00750f20 total secs:209.613
e. Close My_Offsets.txt

Step 5: The "Hard" Part!!! Editing your HPS to fit properly in Melee!
a.Open the program within the Audio folder called, HxD. Once running, click File -> Open. Open up "temp.hps" from your Audio folder. Don't be intimidated by all the numbers!!! hahaha.
b. Okay, I'm sure the word offset at least looks comforting in there, because you've seen it before. Now, hit Search -> Go To. Inside that box, make sure hex is checked. In the search, paste your ending times offset (from your notepad or paper). Our examples ending time offset is 00750f20. If it says that number does not exist, close the Go To box, then open it and try again.
c. At your offset, you'll see 16 blocks of two numbers stretching horizontally. Let's pretend it's really 4 blocks of 8 numbers!!! In the third block of 8, replace the numbers with your starting times offset (presumably 00000080). Make sure you TYPE it in, not paste it in. It shoud look now look like this:
offset:
00750f20 | xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx 00000080 xxxxxxxx
the x's being other numbers we don't care about. The point of this is showing the hps file where to loop back to (the beginning), once it reaches our ending time (which is why it's in the ending offset).
d. The intimidating part! Don't worry though! It's not that bad. Take your ending points time, and place it in THIS equation:
[(32000*EndTime)(16/14)]+15
For our example, we place 209.613 in place of EndTime. So our total is 7665861 (if you have decimals just forget about em). Now take THAT total, and convert it to hexidecimal using this website: http://www.statman.info/conversions/hexadecimal.html
e. My converted number is now, 74f8c5. Because it is only 6 characters, add two zeros to the front -> 0074f8c5.
f. Now go back to the hex editor for the last time!!! =D
At the top of the program, you'll see the number 16 in a little drop down box. Change that number to 8. Good! Now scroll to the top of the list. At offset 00000018, replace the first 8 characters with our newly hex converted number. Now it will look like this:
offset:
00000018 | 0074f8c5 xxxxxxxx
Now do the same thing for offset 00000050.
offset:
00000050 | 0074f8c5 xxxxxxxx
g. Good news! You're done with this thing! hit File -> Save. Close the Hex Editor!

[collapse=Optional Step for Added Quality! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]a. Open up that Hex Editor again!
b. If you remember correctly, some .dsp files were spat out by Step 4 in this guide. Open both of those in the Hex Editor, along with your temp.hps.
c. SELECT "8" bytes per row at the top of each tab.
d. In "songnameL.dsp," highlight starting halfway through the line offset 00000018, all the way through the end of offset 00000038. If you look at the bottom of the tab, make sure it says 24 bytes (that's how many you're copying). Now Copy those numbers
e. In temp.hps, highlight starting at offset 00000020, through halfway of offset 00000040 (make sure it's 24 bytes again) Then paste over it!
f. In "songnameR.dsp," highlight starting halfway through offset 00000018, all the way through the end of offset 00000038. If you look at the bottom of the tab, (making sure it says 24 bytes). Now Copy those numbers.
g. Lastly, in temp.hps, highlight starting at offset 00000058, through halfway of offset 00000078. (check the 24 bytes!). Now Paste!!! Hit File -> Save, while in the temp.hps tab. Close the Hex Editor! You're done here! You won't be experiencing any crackles or pops in your song like people who skipped this step might! Good Job![/collapse]

[collapse=Optional Step to test the song!]a. Run the cmd.
b. paste this in there, and then hit enter:
test -o songtest.wav temp.hps -i
c. In your Audio folder, you'll see a new file, songtest.wav. Go a head and give it a listen! If it sounds good, it's probably gonna work in the iso![/collapse]

Step 6: Stickin Dat HPS File up Inside of Melee!
a. In your Audio folder, rename temp.hps, to whateveryouwant.hps. Making it the name of your song would be a good idea.
b. Open the program GC-Tool-gamecube, and load up the iso like we did last time.
c. Drop the folders open using the "+" until you find the hps you originally extracted.
d. Right-Click the file, choose Replace File. Find the whateveryouwant.hps you just renamed and edited in the hex editor, and hit okay to replace. When a window pops up, asking if you want to change the files size, hit NO. Make sure you hit NO!!!!!!! Okay, good. Now close the GC Editor.
e. Your iso is done! You have successfully placed your song inside melee!!!
f. You can test it with Dolphin, or by burning the iso as an image, and playing it on your properly hacked Wii! (or hacked gamecube)

Much credit to SleepyK, GodFed, and Tichinde925 for figuring all this out!!!

n0ne

Smash Ace
nice guide.

Off topic...
No, really, S., can u upload ur iso of melee? ive got sleepk`s Iso, and my other self-hacked iso, but urs looks really neat. can u? please?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Woah.
Kickin' guide there, GSUB. I didn't even know you could test a song like that. o_O

No, really, S., can u upload ur iso of melee? ive got sleepk`s Iso, and my other self-hacked iso, but urs looks really neat. can u? please?
I cannnnnnnot.
I've got so much extra content on the thing that I want to release first. (It would be nice if I had written down what I have and have not released yet for the site... I keep digging myself a grave the longer I hold it off.)
Sure, another day I will, but for now I need to hold off 'til I get my act together. My bad. :urg:

smakis

Smash Ace
just a note, from what i understand you can replace any stage song, no need for any special hacking. All that has been done is decreasing the size of the iso to make room for the songs. Like if you want to add big blue you just make sure your song fits (like swapping final destination with the big blue, causing final d to have the small file (75b) and big blue the 30 mb).

SleepyK

does tichinde's thing not have it? if it doesn't i'm sure i have it somewhere..

smakis

Smash Ace
would be awesome if you could find it, going to the london monthly and im burning a disc for fuzzy, but i only have two hours after work today before i have to get to my flight.

SleepyK

it would appear somebody has gone and deleted pinstripe falcon from all of our computers. i swear i had that file...

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Dose any one here have knowlage as to were to find a Complete guide on how to use the debug menu I know action replay is different than real hacking, however I thought this looked like the place to go for this type of question.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Stay away from YOSHIKI, SAMUS MASK GET, and MARIO YOSHI GET and your memory should be fine.

You should still remove the memory card with your save data when you get to the title screen.

LuCKy

Smash Master
i was about to upload my pinstrip falcon as well lol but hey steelia!

i remember you saying it was possible to change falcons costumes to different colors very easy

like change pinstrip falcon to neutral and ronald mcfalcon to red?

i know it worked for sure with fox and falco but i thinkkkkkk you said it worked with falcon as well lol

i know like any of the hacking related things its usually all time consuming but would it be possible to change those two?

pinstrip to neutral and ronald to red? plz and thank you in advance if you can or if this is even possible

D1

Hey can I get Blue Pokemon Stadium? I DLed tichinde's files and like I still have a green one. The extension for the Blue Stadium file was .usd and when I replaced the file it still remained...green.

S l o X

Smash Champion
the blue stadium that i found was blue but on the top platforms its green

still *****.

i should've used my hacked melee @ No Johns instead of using it as a normal setup

Steelia

Smash Champion
A minor update, I'm currently making packages for the remainder of the character textures on page 4 -- Ganon, Falco, Fox, the like, despite disclaimers... I think I just need the Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik, and I've made packages for every character in the game.
I have yet to upload the latest ones, but rest assured I'm feverishly workin' on it.

Also, for those who've been wanting to play around with it... the complete package for Pokemon Stadium. And for those of you who DO take up this task, I just want to say, Good luck. Putting that spliced thing together was about as bad as Pokefloats. @_@

Top Bottom