• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
So idk how to do this myself so I can't say much, but chances are it's going to take using the program "Crazy Hand", which allows you to edit all the attributes, animations, hitstun, and more of every character in the game. It's best to get this through downloading Melee Toolbox, as this will give you Crazy Hand, as well as everything else you might ever need in order to hack Melee. Hopefully this helps, although I'm sure somebody else could tell you how to do it better than me lol.

Last edited:

TheSocialZombie

Smash Cadet
Also, when I select Tournament Melee, it crashes the game. I reached out to someone, and they said:

"Likely caused by MCM deleting the Debug Menu in the .dol upon installing the codes. Restoring the sector, un-checking the option to occupy the Debug Menu, then re-installing the erased codes should do the trick."

But how would I accomplish that?

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
Here are some pictures to help show how to restore the region. I would upload them here but I can't make it work :/

So basically there is a button in the bottom right corner of the window that says "Code-Space Options". Click on this and it will take you to a new window showing each available code region usable for codes. What you want to do is click on the button to the right of "Debug Mode Region" that says "Restore". You will them be given a warning about what is going to happen if you say yes. Just click yes and then green text should appear towards the top right of the MCM window that says "Regions Successfully Restored". If this appears then you know it went well, and you do the next step, which is clicking the checkbox to the left of the "Debug Mode Region Text" so that it is disabled.

Once you've done that, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DISABLE ALL REGIONS EXCEPT THE "20XXHP REGION" this has the highest compatibility with Melee codes and also is the largest region of all of them. The only drawback is that it is incompatible with ALL other regions and does NOT allow Gecko codes.

So if you ever have a Gecko code and need to use it in your project with 20XXHP Region enabled, you can go to "Mod Construction" tab, and utilize the built in Gecko Code Importer. This tool will automatically convert your Gecko code into a 20XXHP region compatible DOL mod.

Now all that you need to do is enable your codes again and you are good to go!

TheSocialZombie

Smash Cadet
Here are some pictures to help show how to restore the region. I would upload them here but I can't make it work :/

So basically there is a button in the bottom right corner of the window that says "Code-Space Options". Click on this and it will take you to a new window showing each available code region usable for codes. What you want to do is click on the button to the right of "Debug Mode Region" that says "Restore". You will them be given a warning about what is going to happen if you say yes. Just click yes and then green text should appear towards the top right of the MCM window that says "Regions Successfully Restored". If this appears then you know it went well, and you do the next step, which is clicking the checkbox to the left of the "Debug Mode Region Text" so that it is disabled.

Once you've done that, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DISABLE ALL REGIONS EXCEPT THE "20XXHP REGION" this has the highest compatibility with Melee codes and also is the largest region of all of them. The only drawback is that it is incompatible with ALL other regions and does NOT allow Gecko codes.

So if you ever have a Gecko code and need to use it in your project with 20XXHP Region enabled, you can go to "Mod Construction" tab, and utilize the built in Gecko Code Importer. This tool will automatically convert your Gecko code into a 20XXHP region compatible DOL mod.

Now all that you need to do is enable your codes again and you are good to go!
Quick question: how would I convert the gecko code into the 20XXHP region compatible DOL mod? Like, where is that option?

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
In the "Mod Construction" tab click on the tab that says "Add New Mod to Library". Then, just below the "ASM -> Hex Converter" tab that is towards the top right of the window, you will see the "Import Gecko Code" tab. Click on this, and you will be given an area to paste your Gecko Code into. Once you do that click "Import", and it will automatically import your code into the appropriate format for use in the 20XXHP region of your Mod.

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
No I mean below the button that takes you to the ASM -> Hex Converter. Not in the converter. I will post pic in a bit.

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
Here we go. These are the images I promised. Just follow these and your gold. > < Images >

I even described the process where needed. Hope this helps!

EDIT: If the "Import Gecko Codes" Tab isn't there, then that means your MCM is outdated as this was included in the newest version.

Last edited:

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
Let me see if I can figure this out. Do you want it to be activated through a button press or just be active all the time, or be active through a condition?

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
Do you want it to affect his gravity too? I might not be able to do this but I will still try

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
So far I have the parachute SFX playing as soon as the up b would normally end. Currently working on making textures appear, then I will try his gravity

Sklynt

Smash Rookie
Sorry to be a bit blunt, but how do you get to the screen with all of the numbers in the first place?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Ive watched a tutorial on youtube it mentioned Crazy hand and Character adding

Where do i get Charas because the site he showed me seemed to have gone offline

dude30500

Smash Cadet
I've FOUND ALL THE HITBOX FLAGS THAT WERE UNKNOWN

| CCCC CCII | IRRR HJNN | NNNN NODD | DDDD DDDD | SSSS SSSS |

| SSSS SSSS | ZZZZ ZZZZ | ZZZZ ZZZZ | YYYY YYYY | YYYY YYYY |

| XXXX XXXX | XXXX XXXX | AAAA AAAA | AGGG GGGG | GGWW WWWW |

| WWWQ 12PP | BBBB BBBB | BEEE EEVL | LLLL LLFF | FFFF FFTT |

C: Command
I: Hitbox ID
R: Hitbox Group Number NEW*
H: Hit only grabbed target NEW*
J: Part of Bone ID (only used for Samus and Link chains) NEW*
N: Bone Attachment
O: Flag - Use Common Bone ID (ID based on character) NEW*
D: Damage
S: Size
Z: Z-Offset
Y: Y-Offset
X: X-Offset
A: Angle
G: Knockback Growth
W: Weight Dependent Set Knockback
Q: Sharp clank NEW*
1: Only enable hitbox if I’m thrown NEW*
2: Don’t change size based on character size NEW*
P: Hitbox Interaction
B: Base Knockback
E: Element
V: No Shield Damage (always sets to -1) NEW*
L: Shield Damage
F: Sound FX
T: Hurtbox Interaction

Below is how I personally like to read bits since I'm used to counting 1,2,4,8's within a hex digit

0x0 Offset

0x03800000=Hitbox ID
0x00700000=Hitbox Group # (making different groups means multiple hitboxes can hit at the same time)
0x00080000=Hit only grabbed target (bugged since the hitbox code reads offset 0x15 which is longer than this hitbox Event, but will read this exact byte in the following hitbox.
0x00040000=Flag? (Link & samus chains) This is part of the bone ID fyi but Crazy Hand doesn't read this bit as part of the Bone ID
0x0003F800=Bone ID
0x00000400=Use common bone ID? (Seen on thrown players) (as a reference the burn effect of a fire attack will uses common bone IDs so it will correctly show on all characters) I’m guessing the IDs would then be used to represent stuff like “head” “L-hand” “body” etc.
0x000003FF=Damage (Max is 1023%) Crazy hand only goes up to 511%

0x4 Offset
FFFF0000=Size (1/256th precision floating point)
0000FFFF=Z position (1/256th precision floating point)

0x8 Offset
FFFF0000=Y position (1/256th precision floating point)
0000FFFF=X position (1/256th precision floating point)

0xC Offset
0xFF800000=Angle
0x007FC000=Knockback Growth
0x00003FE0=WDSK
0x00000010=Sharp Clank Sound?
0x00000008=Thrown Only Collision (ie. seen on DamageFly hitbox)
0x00000004=Ignore char size when scaling hitbox size (like mushrooms and giant melee)
0x00000002=Hits Air Flag
0x00000001=Hits Ground Flag"

0x10 Offset
0xFF800000=BKB
0x007C0000=Element
0x00020000=No Shield Damage (always sets shield damage to -1) I think it prevents all damage done to a shield
0x0001FC00=Shield Damage
0x000003FC=Sound FX
0x00000003=Hurtbox Interaction" (1=Item, 2=Character)

Last edited:

ItsYaBoii

Smash Rookie
Can somebody please make an updated tutorial on doing memory stuff in Dolphin? the one in the OP is almost 10 years old and unusable. Dolphin looks nothing like the one used in the tutorial. All I get are blank debug screens and error messages like this even though I'm following the steps exactly.

Last edited:

JoshuaMK

Smash Apprentice
It is outdated as all heck. Use Dolphin Memory Engine which can be found on github and a new developer version of dolphin

LudwigTweets

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
LIAM#127
Is there anyway I could go about adding backwards snap to ledge while descending before use of hex editors or is it not possible via gecko code?

ashbgosh

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SLIK#627
Hi, I wanted to make a mod of melee where jump heights would be variable (depending on how long you hold the jump button) instead of being just short and full hop heights. How can I get started doing this?

Top Bottom