• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Featured In EVO 2015 Trailer

What game do you want in EVO 2015?

• Melee!

Votes: 247 34.0%
  • Smash 4!

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 377 51.9%

• Total voters

QWA

Smash Apprentice
What kind of divine eye allows you to say that Smash4 isn't a competitive fighting game? Especially being the first of the series to actually be developed with the competitive side in mind...
Brawl was developed with competitive play in mind, mostly to cut all competitive aspects out. Smash 4 would be the second game with competition in mind, which seems a bit begrudgingly done just to shut people up. The bottom line is that Smash 4's meta, underdeveloped though it may be, seems to be a lot about shielding and rolling. Sure, it might be in beautiful HD, but I'd rather watch combos in Smash 64 or Melee in 480i than rolling and shielding in 1080p.

Edit:
Especially on a grand scale such as EVO.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
So a completely personal and subjective opinion is BS? Not everyone likes a broken mess, you know.

Highlighted these for you, you might not find Smash4 exciting because all you want is combos, but some people do find the game very exciting and fun, not to mention accessible.
Obviously the desire for Melee and the desire for Smash 4 are based solely on personal opinion, as you have outlined. You and others prefer Smash 4 and myself + others prefer Melee.

However, why do you feel the need to come here and start bashing Melee and its supporters? That's what I'd like to know. You're sitting here praising Smash 4 to high heavens and wanting it at Evo, but yet when people want Melee at Evo, they're suddenly bad people with a wrong opinion and are monsters who have no taste. Seriously?

People can have their differing opinions, but I know for sure that I'd like to see a lot less bashing other people's opinions thank you very much.

Wavebird

Smash Rookie
I've gone to evo several times(3) and the misunderstanding most people make is that you go there to watch every game, no you don't theres plenty of people that come for one or several games and after their games stream time is over they just get up and go play casuals or do as they please.

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
I think having both would be amazing. Melee is still a thriving game (and the community fought tooth and nail for it to get it's spot back in 2013), and Smash 4 is really hype at the moment. (Plus it would probably be backed by Nintendo themselves). The only concern I'd have if they included Smash 4 is that if the Metagame is still underdeveloped it might end up getting a bad reputation in general.

Last edited:

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
This is a pretty inaccurate comparison, reason being is that Smash 4 has never *been* at EVO hence there are no clips that they could have in a video meant to highlight the fun of being at EVO, from EVO.

This is also the exact reason that I believe the existence of the clip in and of itself (opinions on Smash 4s involvement aside) mean basically nothing, since it's likely highlighting EVO itself rather than the games that will be there. Obviously Melee has a good shot of being there, but this video is not whats cementing it.
Smash 4 should be at Evo. There is a new and exciting metagame that will be very interesting to watch develop while Melee has a fully developed metagame, so fully developed that many players use the same tactics and combos. In Smash 4 you can do well with any character cause of the balence. Melee is getting old cause you can only do well with 8 or so characters, but with Smash 4 you can use anyone. Even Ike and Ganon have beat top players, and Megaman got 4th in a 170 man Japanese tourney. Why play Melee when Smash 4 is improved in every way. Melee is dead. Brawl is dead. Project M is dying. Smash 4 is the next Mahvel.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
wow. there's an option in the poll for BOTH. and almost 1/3 of the votes chose MELEE ONLY. what's wrong? no wonder prog called you out in reddit. just. wow.

at this rate Melee is going to DENY Smash4 the OPPORTUNITY that EVERY OTHER FG have. and that is being at evo on release.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Guise
6 months Smash 4 will still be a mess.
@ D-idara D-idara I know you're very fond of Brawl. How long did Brawl's meta take to develop? Seriosuly. Answer that for me.
If you can't, well here's this. By 2012, there was a stable meta. 4 years it took for Brawl to finally stabilize.

How long did Melee's meta develop? Took nearly a decade or so.

Yes players are getting better and better at finding engine abuses since 2001, but do you HONESTLY think that Smash 4 will have a perfect, unchangeable meta in SIX MONTHS?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Guise
@ D-idara D-idara I know you're very fond of Brawl. How long did Brawl's meta take to develop? Seriosuly. Answer that for me.
If you can't, well here's this. By 2012, there was a stable meta. 4 years it took for Brawl to finally stabilize.

Yes players are getting better and better at finding engine abuses since 2001, but do you HONESTLY think that Smash 4 will have a perfect, unchangeable meta in SIX MONTHS?
I don't really see what's the whole problem with having a tournament for a game with a developing meta, top players will still be top and if the game turns out to be unbalanced, we can at least see a variety of characters at a major tournament once.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Exciting to you maybe, not everyone likes watching Melee. I'd rather watch a long fought match than see someone get gimped at 40% a few times and it's over.

I'm torn between wanting both featured, so everyone wins or skipping Smash4 for now to let it develop more. At the same time I'd be interested to see what people can do with the game at this time at a huge tournament.

Based on my posts in general it may seem that I'm against Melee and it's supporters when in fact I respect their love for the game, but I just cannot stand the people that refuse to give this game a chance because it's not Melee v2 or because it seems to be more like Brawl than Melee.
1. You are stereotyping. Melee players don't want "Melee v2".
2. Getting gimped at 40% a few times in one match? That is kind of the magic of smash; you Can kill your opponent easier depending on your position or their position. If you were ****ting around on the ledge, then of course somebody might gimp you.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
1. You are stereotyping. Melee players don't want "Melee v2".
2. Getting gimped at 40% a few times in one match? That is kind of the magic of smash; you Can kill your opponent easier depending on your position or their position. If you were ****ting around on the ledge, then of course somebody might gimp you.
1. Many do, and I've seen it on here a lot.
2. I'd want more of a match than that, that's part of the reason Smash is seen as a joke by people who play real fighting games, not bashing Melee, I love every Smash game. Thank God they removed edgehogging. I'd rather watch a game that requires players to actually earn kills. /shrug

D

Deleted member 245254

Guise

This is silly, there is no unwritten condition in the FGC that a games meta must be fully developed before it is worthy of being on a competitive stage, that is utterly made up in your head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Votega

Smash Rookie
NNID
Votega
Came back to check how everyone was doing. Glad to see we all still absolutely hate each other. This community's going places, ain't it? It'll take a lot more than some dumb tourney to tear us apart! ... Right?

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Came back to check how everyone was doing. Glad to see we all still absolutely hate each other. This community's going places, ain't it? It'll take a lot more than some dumb tourney to tear us apart! ... Right?
Yeah! a decent number (200+ votes) of people voting either MELEE ONLY or SMASH4 ONLY is a proof that we really hate each other. This is going nowhere.

For those that voted for Smash4 ONLY, why?

For those that voted for Melee ONLY, why?

All I see is Smash4 is not yet developed, Melee is fast and combo heavy. Melee "earned" it's spot. etc. Are those your reasons for NOT choosing BOTH? Seriously?

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Supporting Melee over Smash Brothers as a whole is exactly the problem with the Melee community.
That is NOT a problem.
Melee over Smash Brothers is not the issue. Melee is a specific game that has its own intricacies and has a very large competitive following, and it should not be grouped with the other smash games competitively.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
1. Many do, and I've seen it on here a lot.
2. I'd want more of a match than that, that's part of the reason Smash is seen as a joke by people who play real fighting games, not bashing Melee, I love every Smash game. Thank God they removed edgehogging. I'd rather watch a game that requires players to actually earn kills. /shrug
^This.

True, the Melee community is as strong (and sometimes hateful or immature) as ever. But the fact that competitive Melee has been around for so long is also a bad thing. The point of Super Smash Bros is to SMASH ones opponent off-screen, not to make them fall with little real effort and ledge-hogging. It's the only thing I don't like about high-level Melee play. It's just not SMASH Bros, it's GIMP Bros. and repetitive. Not to mention the top cut generally all use the same few characters with little variety.

I'm not bashing the game, I loved Melee as a young teen. I'm an adult now, and have a busy life, and can't sink endless hours into Melee. The same applied to many others who have a lot of, more important, responsibilities.

Besides, Melee is showing its age. Its an inconvenience to host 2 gen old games at events like EVO because they require a different set up than everything else there. Wii U uses the came HDMI as all other games at EVO, so from a TO's point of view, Sm4sh will be easier to feature.

Nonetheless, it would be best to feature both Sm4sh AND Melee. But if there can only be one, Nintendo will push for Sm4sh and it'll be easier to run.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Both if possible, Smash 4 preferably.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
That is NOT a problem.
Melee over Smash Brothers is not the issue. Melee is a specific game that has its own intricacies and has a very large competitive following, and it should not be grouped with the other smash games competitively.
I believe the title is SUPER SMASH BROS Melee. So, yes, its in the same group as every other Smash game, is in the same franchise. It shouldn't be treated as if it's in a different franchise from the other games altogether. Smash is Smash. That's all there is to it. This divisive, and those acting as if it's Melee against the world/every non-Melee player and game, are stupid and childish.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Yeah! a decent number (200+ votes) of people voting either MELEE ONLY or SMASH4 ONLY is a proof that we really hate each other. This is going nowhere.
Just because there are users who only vote for one game, doesn't mean we hate each other. Like, where in the world do you get that assumption?
Let me reiterate: This is all based on personal preference and shouldn't be turned into fights. There's nothing more or nothing less to it. Claiming that we hate each other for voting only 1 game is ridiculous.

Last edited:

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Just because there are users who only vote for one game, doesn't mean we hate each other. Like, where in the world do you get that assumption?
Let me reiterate: This is all based on personal preference and shouldn't be turned into fights. There's nothing more or nothing less to it. Claiming that we hate each other for voting only 1 game is ridiculous.
I am sorry you took my post literally.
My response is just a representation of me scratching my head on why in this world would someone like for only ONE Smash to be in Evo.

Would you lose money if BOTH of them appeared in Evo?

Why chose only one? Personal preference? You mean you personally prefer to have Melee only instead of BOTH Melee and 4? I mean if Melee is there, which is your preference, why would you want Smash4 to be OUT?

What has 4 got to do with it?

If you have to chose Melee, SF3, Skull Girls, ALL. Would you chose Melee only instead of having all?

Or given a choice of Melee, Smash 4, SF4 Ultra, Killer Instinct, ALL. Would you chose Melee, SF4 Ultra, Killer Instinct ONLY? Instead of ALL?

Last edited:

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
How is gimping someone "not earning" a kill?

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I just get a snack and start reading smashboard threads. The needless hate, constant arguing over pointless opinions and semantics, people misinterpreting statements as personal attacks; it's like the Fox "News" Channel but actually entertaining.

Mr.Wizard is gonna do what he wants to do, and it sounds like he wants Smash 4 in. The bigger factor is that Nintendo is gonna want Smash 4 in as well, so unless Nintendo starts caring about the Smash community as a whole, then Smash 4 is gonna make it, and Melee will be out. And yes it is a shame since Melee is the game that got Smash into Evo in the first place, but Nintendo is gonna take advantage whether we like it or not.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, I love Smash 4, but I don't understand this whole Smash is Smash thing.

If you go play Melee then you go play Smash 4, then come back and tell me they feel fundamentally the same then you are ridiculous, and you are completely missing the point.
The entire reason Smash is in EVO in the first place is because of MELEE. It is because players dedicated time and effort to establish the MELEE community.

It is unfair for people to want to take that away from those players who worked hard to get Melee there on the basis of "Smash is Smash".

Honestly, it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Melee earned its spot at EVO. It SHOULD stay. If we want Smash 4 to get a spot, it shouldn't be at the cost of Melee losing it.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, I love Smash 4, but I don't understand this whole Smash is Smash thing.

If you go play Melee then you go play Smash 4, then come back and tell me they feel fundamentally the same then you are ridiculous, and you are completely missing the point.
The entire reason Smash is in EVO in the first place is because of MELEE. It is because players dedicated time and effort to establish the MELEE community.

It is unfair for people to want to take that away from those players who worked hard to get Melee there on the basis of "Smash is Smash".

Honestly, it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Melee earned its spot at EVO. It SHOULD stay. If we want Smash 4 to get a spot, it shouldn't be at the cost of Melee losing it.
Blame Sakurai for making every Smash game incredibly different, while every other fighting game only builds on the previous. Just imagine if the entire Smash community directed it's internal hate towards Sakurai, instead of praising him as a god. Maybe Smash would be different. #nonbeliever.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee

It is unfair for Evo organizers to replace Melee with 4? Why? It is their tournament to run.

Also, the only time that Melee earned it's spot in Evo was during the donation run. And that was a Smash community effort, not Melee's alone.

On every other case. Evo organizers decide who gets in. No game needs to earn anything.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

For those that voted for Smash4 ONLY, why?

For those that voted for Melee ONLY, why?

All I see is Smash4 is not yet developed, Melee is fast and combo heavy. Melee "earned" it's spot. etc. Are those your reasons for NOT choosing BOTH? Seriously?
I voted Smash 4 only because I'm getting tired of Melee. It's been 13 YEARS of Melee. I want something new.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
It is unfair for Evo organizers to replace Melee with 4? Why? It is their tournament to run.

Also, the only time that Melee earned it's spot in Evo was during the donation run. And that was a Smash community effort, not Melee's alone.

On every other case. Evo organizers decide who gets in. No game needs to earn anything.
Melee was put into EVO before in 2007 because the community had grown and had worked hard to present themselves as a real fighting game; so they did essentially work to get that spot. At the time, 2D fighters like MvC and SSF dominated the FGC, and Smash was not really respected by other fighting game communities.

The donation run was mostly Melee players. I didn't see a lot of Brawl or 64 players streaming or being too active about spreading the word, although these communities aren't really active in the first place.

The reason why people are in a rut over the next EVO is because the last time a game replaced Melee just because it was new was Brawl in 2008-09, and it prevented Smash from getting into EVO until 2013. But like I said before, Mr.Wizard is gonna do what he wants, and Nintendo is now a part of EVO, so we can only wait and see what happens.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I choose both for now. Let melee get a little chance.

But next year evo or whatever other big tourment.
I will choose Smash 4.

For now, BOTH!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Guys, let's discuss this more! It's necessary to get our game into EVO.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
This is silly, there is no unwritten condition in the FGC that a games meta must be fully developed before it is worthy of being on a competitive stage, that is utterly made up in your head.
You missed the point. Smash 4's meta is likely to be unstable.
Let it shape up. EVO 2016, Smash 4 BETTER be there

D

Deleted member 245254

I think that's irrelevant. It is events like these that helps to hasten the actual development of the meta for a game. It can also quicken its demise given there are major faults that become apparent, which is also good, as it helps to bring out inherent flaws we may not have known otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
So we're saying that no other new game should get in Evo because of this silly undeveloped meta thing? KI, Injustice, PSABR before should have sat out just to satisfy that? How about Pokken, Tekken7 - they'll have undeveloped meta by being new. now what?

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
So we're saying that no other new game should get in Evo because of this silly undeveloped meta thins? KI, Injustice, PSABR before should have satout just to satisfy that? How about Pokken, Tekken7 - they'll have undeveloped meta by being new. now what?
I honestly think that any new game should be given a year to develop before they're featured at the biggest tournament of their respective genre. Is that normal?

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I just think Melee players shouldn't be kicked out of EVO because Smash 4 came out.

I would PREFER to see both get in because Smash 4 plays very differently when compared to Melee, and the game is very different to watch, and I like both games.

Top Bottom