• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
It's cool now, Mane6 has just specifically told people not to vote for their game because of the ponies :http://www.mane6.com/2013/01/fighting-is-magic-at-evo-2013.html#more

Melee is almost guaranteed to make it in now, everybody who voted for the Melee poll just needs to throw in a fair amount of money and we'll be set. None of the other games have scenes as big as ours (Blazblue might be the closest but a lot of their players are playing P4A/GG) and PSAS and Injustice are unlikely to get corporately backed because their competitive scenes are practically non-existent.

Serious respect to Mane6 for this, they told their fans exactly how the situation was without belittling the current state of their game and the way they put it it was almost like they were asking people to vote for Melee, Skullgirls, or CvS2. Still not a brony but the resentment is gone and MLP FiM is relevant to my interests again.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Reposting my thoughts since the other thread got locked.

Just donate. So what if we lose? We send a bunch of money to a charity. Boo hoo. We aren't being played, nobody is out to get us. If we lose, so what? Being the second best or even third best in donations is something to be proud of, and probably commendable. Rather than whining about our appearance at EVO not being a sure thing, how about we quit squandering our chance? Like, legitimate, possibly only chance to get into EVO and grow our community?

It makes sense for this to be invisible. It builds hype, decreases the chances of donations screeching to a halt when a presumable winner appears, and overall is in good fun and for a good cause. While I'd prefer it to be visible for reasons already mentioned, I see 0 fraudulence aside from people looking for an excuse to not spend money. If you want Melee at EVO, then donate. If you don't want Melee at EVO, then don't donate. All having little to no donations will do is make us look like cheap children who can't back up our over 6,000 votes on the poll.

Think of the player funds. Think of how much money we have pooled together over the years. Let's say we raise $5,000 dollars and then we get beaten out by Sony making a huge donation. How is that bad? Whether we make it to EVO or not, we are showing that we have the drive to make it to EVO even without a sponsorship, and that $5,000 dollars is nothing to scoff at. And ya know what? If every person that voted donated a DOLLAR, we'd have over $6,000 right there. Then, if we lose, we take our loss with pride in the fact that we raised money for a good cause, and then we walk away. "Most money raised that didn't have sponsorship" is certainly a feat worth achieving, and might have them keep us in mind for next year.

If EVO weren't a big deal, we wouldn't be talking about it, so stop acting like this isn't them giving us an opportunity, because that is exactly what it is. It's an opportunity to grow, gain new fans, new friends, new members, new reputation, new sponsors, and there is no reason we shouldn't go for it.

Stop with the conspiracy theories. Do you think other communities would stand by while they stole our money? Bull. Stop with the *****footing. If you don't want to donate, then don't. But I'm putting my money where my mouth is and donating $100 dollars as soon as I get my paycheck on Friday. And that's just the start. Let's get it done.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
It's cool now, Mane6 has just specifically told people not to vote for their game because of the ponies :http://www.mane6.com/2013/01/fighting-is-magic-at-evo-2013.html#more

Melee is almost guaranteed to make it in now, everybody who voted for the Melee poll just needs to throw in a fair amount of money and we'll be set. None of the other games have scenes as big as ours (Blazblue might be the closest but a lot of their players are playing P4A/GG) and PSAS and Injustice are unlikely to get corporately backed because their competitive scenes are practically non-existent.

Serious respect to Mane6 for this, they told their fans exactly how the situation was without belittling the current state of their game and the way they put it it was almost like they were asking people to vote for Melee, Skullgirls, or CvS2. Still not a brony but the resentment is gone and MLP FiM is relevant to my interests again.
Yay now we have to worry about Sony that might not do the donation because of all the hate they're gonna get if they do it. Pretty much we have a shot at winning, let's all donate we got this now. :D

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Is there someone with an actual fundraising background/degree who can confirm which of the options, showing money received vs not showing, will statistically lead to better results?

Because both sides of this argument have brought up their points dozens of times, and no one knows what the hell they are talking about.

Kryian

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap. You guys (some of) are seriously trying to hold a charity hostage if you don't get your way? Sorry, but I can guarantee you that you won't get your way (that is, you won't know FOR SURE if you'll win or not) and you're a waste of human existence for even thinking the way you are in the first place.

People like doing things if they feel they can get a return in what they do

Melee has 1 visible shot at getting into EVO and getting exposure to the whole world and [rest of motivational essay]

What can $5 or $10 + gas money get you? 1 local tournament entry

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Holy crap. You guys (some of) are seriously trying to hold a charity hostage if you don't get your way? Sorry, but I can guarantee you that you won't get your way (that is, you won't know FOR SURE if you'll win or not) and you're a waste of human existence for even thinking the way you are in the first place.
Haha cool your jets dude.

Breast cancer funding is NOT gonna be hurt if a few smashers don't donate a couple bucks. Some people are cautious, nothing wrong with that. And it is worth acknowledging transparency issues. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will not **** us though.

I largely agree with Shawn in the sense that donating is taking an active step towards helping the melee community. $5 is disposable income guys, don't lie, it would probably help you anyway to not have that mcdonalds meal. Personally, I don't give a **** about Evo, the FGC, or donating to breast cancer. But I do give a **** about helping melee, and it's community members. And this is a direct way to do just that.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Donated my $1 from my $20 bank account, but not for breast cancer in the slightest. If I wanted to support that cause I would have long before this.

The real disgusting people are the one trying to belittle others for not donating. The fact that people need the "pay your way to EVO" fund to donate to a cause is the gross part. I find the idea of paying for admittance still extremely silly but whatever.

Real question: How many people donated to Breast Cancer research before this fund? Not a hypothetical.

If you are so very concerned about donating to needy causes, I suggest looking into http://www.tabforacause.org/ if you haven't already.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Donated my $1 from my $20 bank account, but not for breast cancer in the slightest. If I wanted to support that cause I would have long before this.

The real disgusting people are the one trying to belittle others for not donating. The fact that people need the "pay your way to EVO" fund to donate to a cause is the gross part. I find the idea of paying for admittance still extremely silly but whatever.

Real question: How many people donated to Breast Cancer research before this fund? Not a hypothetical.

If you are so very concerned about donating to needy causes, I suggest looking into http://www.tabforacause.org/ if you haven't already.

What is the point you are trying to make? That somehow since people weren't going to spend money on breast cancer research, it undermines or devalues the donation now? Give me a break. Killing two birds with one stone and using the opportunity to get something you love into the spotlight and fight breast cancer at the same time is a good thing, whether or not the people who donate were going to donate in the first place.

And I think that anyone who doesn't donate is welcome to not donate, but it doesn't mean I don't think they are foolish if they are doing it for the wrong reasons based on conspiracy theories.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Were I being sarcastic, I wouldn't have provided a link to a charity, and said something much more vague, or worded it in a snarky manner "If you want to support breast cancer or other funds that actually need donations, radda radda." The entire point of my post is the principle that donating for charity is one thing, and donating for the get your game into evo aspect under the guise of donating for charity is another.

No conspiracy, no secret under-the-table donations, nothing along that line. Just generally disgusting human nature, like how school shootings suddenly make gun control an issue where people didn't give a **** before it happened. That sort of thing. Like oh now we can care about this thing we didn't care about before. That's why I proposed the non-hypothetical question. The fact that no one seems to want to just directly answer a question like that is weird, but I'll chalk it up to human suspicions- "Why should I tell something like that when I could save face whether I do or don't donate? "

Like I straight up donated just for the sake of a game I love, and I admit that. There's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't make the donation less meaningful in anyway.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Dude the charity thing isn't that big a deal just shut the hell up. Nobody is saying thats the reason you should donate.

:phone:

darji

Smash Rookie
If you guys really want to pull out if you do not win. That is just disgusting...

I hope they will ban smash brother and meele for this act. And I will do everything so that these people are aware of this bull****.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That feel when people read into what you say too much
I always mean what I say, it's whoever's fault if they don't understand it, unless I like, idk have a dyslexic moment or something
When I'm sarcastic it's like, obviously sarcastic not suspiciously sarcastic, and from what I've seen of Kink it's pretty much the same way
So like, get off his case and donate some ****ing money so melee can be at help buy melee's way into Evo, ignore the breast cancer part, it's just an unintended benefit

If you guys really want to pull out if you do not win. That is just disgusting...

I hope they will ban smash brother and meele for this act. And I will do everything so that these people are aware of this bull****.
This is exactly what Kink was talking about, and I agree, it's disgusting. Nobody has a responsibility to donate to charity, and charity does not have a right to be ****ing donated to that must be fulfilled by people even with spare money.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice

It's not everybody. There's like 5 idiots who think like that, but theyre posting adamantly about it. Please don't look down on the rest of us for the few immature *******es

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@EPsilon933 I have no idea what part of that you're laughng at lol

It's not everybody. There's like 5 idiots who think like that, but theyre posting adamantly about it. Please don't look down on the rest of us for the few immature *******es

You too. Stop pretending that donating to breast cancer research is something we should be grateful to do. It's idiotic in the first place that we have to pay to help get melee into Evo. It's another layer of stupid that people are trying to back up their donations under the name of charity and then attack others who are only interested in the game.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Were I being sarcastic, I wouldn't have provided a link to a charity, and said something much more vague, or worded it in a snarky manner "If you want to support breast cancer or other funds that actually need donations, radda radda." The entire point of my post is the principle that donating for charity is one thing, and donating for the get your game into evo aspect under the guise of donating for charity is another.

No conspiracy, no secret under-the-table donations, nothing along that line. Just generally disgusting human nature, like how school shootings suddenly make gun control an issue where people didn't give a **** before it happened. That sort of thing. Like oh now we can care about this thing we didn't care about before. That's why I proposed the non-hypothetical question. The fact that no one seems to want to just directly answer a question like that is weird, but I'll chalk it up to human suspicions- "Why should I tell something like that when I could save face whether I do or don't donate? "

Like I straight up donated just for the sake of a game I love, and I admit that. There's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't make the donation less meaningful in anyway.
I've donated when they have those funny bracelets that say "I love boobies" or save the tatas". That is the extent of it. Had this opportunity not presented itself, this money would be going to fixing my muffler rather than cancer research.

The donation is a nice side effect to trying to get into EVO and a noble effort on the staff of the EVO team for sending money their way. Nobody here is pretending that they are actually doing this out of the sole purpose of supporting breast cancer, but the bottom line is that it's nice incentive that even if we don't win, the money goes to a good cause. That's it.

darji

Smash Rookie

Yeah I am pretty sure that it is not all people. But seriously you guys should do something about it. like banning these people from the forum or what ever. This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated.

There is nothing wrong to only spend money to get a chance being at EVO. But it is a total different thing to pull out if they do not win.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Nobody here is pretending that they are actually doing this out of the sole purpose of supporting breast cancer, but the bottom line is that it's nice incentive that even if we don't win, the money goes to a good cause. That's it.
The issue is that they are attacking those that want to donate just for melee's sake and would withhold their money if it didn't have a chance. It's their money, they can do with it as they please, and attempting to guilt trip them into promising their money rather than being a little more reserved is wrong. And guilt tripping is exactly what's going on here.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
@EPsilon933 I have no idea what part of that you're laughng at lol

You too. Stop pretending that donating to breast cancer research is something we should be grateful to do. It's idiotic in the first place that we have to pay to help get melee into Evo. It's another layer of stupid that people are trying to back up their donations under the name of charity and then attack others who are only interested in the game.
Dude...how old are you? Seriously?

Super

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I am pretty sure that it is not all people. But seriously you guys should do something about it. like banning these people from the forum or what ever. This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated.

There is nothing wrong to only spend money to get a chance being at EVO. But it is a total different thing to pull out if they do not win.
Not sure if bad troll lol....or simply haven't thought it through...probably a combo of both.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Dude...how old are you? Seriously?

That shaded insult is not worthy of a real response.

Stop trying to guilt trip people into promising their money to something they aren't interested in donating to. Pulling out is their own ****ing decision.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if bad troll lol....or simply haven't thought it through...probably a combo of both.
Hes not a troll, it's true. You guys are making yourselves look so bad it's funny, and the best part is you literally can't comprehend why pulling out of a breast cancer fund bc your game didn't win looks bad. Like seriously, that's some aspergers talking.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Dude the charity thing isn't that big a deal just shut the hell up. Nobody is saying thats the reason you should donate.

Originally Posted by Jiv
And the point of hiding the totals raisd by each community is NOT to **** melee out of EVO, it's bc they want to raise money for breast cancer and only that. They aren't as ****ty as you guys are.

Originally Posted by Kryian

Originally Posted by JPOBS
I'm fine with people not wanting to donate at all, I'm personally not going to either. I just think that making a coup of it is so morally disgusting.

Originally Posted by JPOBS
Actually, there are very legitmate concerns to keep the donations private.

Imagine you are the MLP community hoping to get your game into evo. You look at the polls, and lo, those guys over at the Smash Brothers community already raised 10K in 3 days. Damn, I guess there's no point in us MLP players even trying anymore.

And guess who the real loser is? Breast Cancer.

Originally Posted by Calvo819
i see an issue in this, if we end up not donating a fair amount, im almost certain the FGC (specifically SRK Scrubs) would pull stupid **** out of their *** and be like "see, all those melee votes weren't real, no one even donated to breast cancer research!"

Originally Posted by Jiv
Smash community: 6000 votes to get their game in

$314 dollars donated to breast cancer to get their game in

Originally Posted by Jiv
You guys were all about it when we just had to vote. I hope they see all this talk about investing money into our own community instead of breast cancer awareness and disqualify this ****ty community from the one thing that could put it on the map.

Originally Posted by The Business
jerflip: "Let's say we all donate to a pooled PayPal account. How do we know if the funds are sufficient? The donations aren't transparent, and as far as I know, you can only cancel unclaimed payments. So if another game comes out on top, we can't just say "give me my money back""

yea we wouldn't want our money to get wasted going to stupid breast cancer research.

Originally Posted by HowaitoKumaSan
Cancer research is cancer research. Just because the money is going to a specific area of cancer isn't a reason to not want to donate. It's still a good cause whether it's breast, lung, or anywhere else. You're looking like kind of an insensitive monster right now.

Super

Smash Apprentice
Hes not a troll, it's true. You guys are making yourselves look so bad it's funny, and the best part is you literally can't comprehend why pulling out of a breast cancer fund bc your game didn't win looks bad. Like seriously, that's some aspergers talking.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Then don't ****ing donate if you don't want to, just don't tell people who want to donate why they should save their money for smash events bc this will **** them over for whatever reason. We're just talking **** to you for *****ing about it, because everything about it makes sense but you guys are way too damn thick skulled to see that for some reason, maybe too many videogames or something. It makes you and us look really bad.

darji

Smash Rookie

Do not worry I mailed and informed the EVO team and the people and told them to look out for this thread and this community. Lets see what they will have to say against that.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Then don't ****ing donate if you don't want to, just don't tell people who want to donate why they should save their money for smash events bc this will **** them over for whatever reason. We're just talking **** to you for *****ing about it, because everything about it makes sense but you guys are way too damn thick skulled to see that for some reason, maybe too many videogames or something. It makes you and us look really bad.

When did I ever say anything to this effect. Put less words into people's mouths and stop trying to guilt trip people. I donated my money.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
When did I ever say anything to this effect. Put less words into people's mouths and stop trying to guilt trip people. I donated my money.
I meant the other people in the other thread Moreso with that comment tbh, but you went out of your way to say you did not donate for breast cancer or whatever, but for your game. What the hell is the point of that?

And I hope you realize I'm nt only talking to you with my posts. I'm talking to everybody who's either against donating or reluctant to do it for reasons stated

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Do not worry I mailed and informed the EVO team and the people and told them to look out for this thread and this community. Lets see what they will have to say against that.
3 posts all in this thread- join date today
hmm I wonder if this guy didn't make that account just to hate on the smash fans and reduce their chances of participating in evo

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
3 posts- join date today
hmm I wonder if this guy didn't make that account just to hate on the smash fans
He's probably somebody who plays one of the other games that are gonna be at EVO who came here to see what we're about, only to see this thread. Honestly you guys are making yourselves hard to not hate, and I'm baffled that you can't see that.

darji

Smash Rookie
3 posts all in this thread- join date today
hmm I wonder if this guy didn't make that account just to hate on the smash fans and reduce their chances of participating in evo
No I read this "scam" at neogaf and thought I had to reply to this ****. I am not from another community but I love to watch EVO and I love charity evens like the on going SDA charity Event at the moment.

I really do not care who wins to be honest. I just dont like such methods.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The point in being honest is to have a clean conscious for the most part. If I pretended to donate for breast cancer I would probably have to cry myself to sleep living with the guilt. It is not a very pleasant feeling, when you feel you aren't being fully honest. It makes me all queasy inside whenever I have to lie like that, and I'm sure my stuffed turtle doesn't like being squeezed so much.

It's why I also asked if people were donating before this fund. Trying to make people feel bad for "not donating to cancer" is just. Eugh, it makes me want to gag. Pretending to care is, the way I see it, substantially more disgusting than simply not caring.

Like if you really, really care about things, you shouldn't need an incentive to donate, and you shouldn't need to talk down to other people for not donating. It's about the lowest level of bologna and mask-wearing humans are capable of.

darji

Smash Rookie
The point in being honest is to have a clean conscious for the most part. If I pretended to donate for breast cancer I would probably have to cry myself to sleep living with the guilt. It is not a very pleasant feeling, when you feel you aren't being fully honest. It makes me all queasy inside whenever I have to lie like that, and I'm sure my stuffed turtle doesn't like being squeezed so much.

It's why I also asked if people were donating before this fund. Trying to make people feel bad for "not donating to cancer" is just. Eugh, it makes me want to gag. Pretending to care is, the way I see it, substantially more disgusting than simply not caring.

Like if you really, really care about things, you shouldn't need an incentive to donate, and you shouldn't need to talk down to other people for not donating. It's about the lowest level of bologna and mask-wearing humans are capable of.
The reason why you want to donate should not matter much however only to actually pay for it if you win is the thing that pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom