• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee changed my life.

Banks

Smash Hero
sup shadowball
Banks you should have a picture of me and you in your sig
whatever this LG stuff is if TML, banks, and thorn are there then I want to be there
me and th0rn (and our family) go on vacation to Lake George, NY every summer, and it so happens that TML lives on a friggen mountain near the lake. so last year we played some melee with him, and we are this year too. it's like 6 hours away from maine so probably only people who live near there will be there, whoever TML knows and can get.

He had lunchables last time, **** was good

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
There will be at least a small tournament this year because of interest. MattDotZeb said he is definitely probably coming and could bring all sorts of MA people like Spife and stuff and I'ma ask Spawn and CT ppl and contact FreddyP and western NY has voiced interest like Foy and he could bring other people from western NY and also Kwan lives pretty close and I told him about it at RoM and he was pumped so good **** =)

Tourny in LG this summer, stay tuned!

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
I suck at Melee so it hasn't been this incredible experience for me like all the pros, but it has had an impact on my life. All my friends make fun of me for how much I know about this game, even all my smash friends =P

BUT...there is one thing that I have learned from Melee that I carry with myself in my pocket everywhere I go. "No Johns." This probably makes me such a good sport whenever I play any sort of game/sport. Additionally, when I mess up (AT ANYTHING IN LIFE) I remind myself not to make excuses and take the blame/apologize/whatever. In all seriousness, this motto is SO GOOD. It really should become everybody's life motto.

also bump because this thread = win

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I helps me a lot mentally NO joke, I need to get out of my head sometimes. After haveing a mental break down I play smash to recover.

I think it helped give me an uncrushable sprit I mean I don't think anyone could have been as cool as I was about fighting m2k's sheik with pichu. I didn't even start to doubt myself in truth my pichu(earlier) did better than a fox I saw fighting him, which I took from that that I could become really good and that I am the limit and only I can stop my level of skill. I'm lucky to have my mindset to believe in myself like one marth on my last stock(at least I remember) I took 2 of his and he was pretty good.

But yeah it's funny how when I first started before I could even wavedash I always said that I sucked and always smashed all my hope to bits and pieces. I inspired myself to do better.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice
I helps me a lot mentally NO joke, I need to get out of my head sometimes. After haveing a mental break down I play smash to recover.

I think it helped give me an uncrushable sprit I mean I don't think anyone could have been as cool as I was about fighting m2k's sheik with pichu. I didn't even start to doubt myself in truth my pichu(earlier) did better than a fox I saw fighting him, which I took from that that I could become really good and that I am the limit and only I can stop my level of skill. I'm lucky to have my mindset to believe in myself like one marth on my last stock(at least I remember) I took 2 of his and he was pretty good.

But yeah it's funny how when I first started before I could even wavedash I always said that I sucked and always smashed all my hope to bits and pieces. I inspired myself to do better.

WOW man every post i read about you just has to have pichu! :laugh:

you true pichu player :p

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
LOL only real pichu players have real pokeballs at really to caught someone. I have one in real life. Really I have done more with pichu than anything else in melee. Also sadly I found out yesterday i'm stuck with him :( I did better with pichu than I did with fox even in the worse match-ups for pichu.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I don't have many stories related to Melee due to my prior location having no competition whatsoever, but the depth and technical capabilities of Melee showed me what could realistically be possible in games.

In games like TMNT 2 (the arcade game), I have complete control over what I'm doing and can hit the special consistently, in Mario Kart games, I can drift and nearly perfect speed by mashing the controller stick faster now, in games like the old Mega Man series, I know how to manipulate all the enemies and kill the bosses while rarely taking hits (except for the random-set bosses). There are tons of examples, and Melee has enhanced my speed, technical abilities and knowledge of most of every game I've played and play now.

Beyond that, I also joined the TASVideos community and even further learned about games by finding glitches since I can manipulate individual frames and have the game input exactly the way I wanted. With this, I've found a large amount of new glitches in Mega Man 4; one of my favorite games. I have a Youtube stuffed with that sort of thing.

Actually come to think of it, there are quite a few TASers in the community; KirkQ, SilentSlayers, AntD, JPleal, Kyman, MUGG, myself and I think a few others.

When a person becomes involved with competitive Melee, they begin to learn everything that is possible within a game. When a person becomes involved with competitive Brawl, I believe that they begin to become smarter with mindgames (but that's unrelated to the topic). I really think Melee brings not just a player of Melee to a new level, but the person as a gamer, becomes much better at all sorts of games, and I'm sure some people have real-life examples of this.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
LOL have you ever watched people's faces when they play games or watch tv?

Melee-focused like they are trying to cure cancer or something.
brawl-they look like they are trying to push buttons that work
tv-near brain dead.

I have one guy to thank more than anyone else, Doctor G. He's not a competitive Smasher, but all he needed was a love for Melee.

Back in my senior year of high school, I was a nobody. I had almost no friends. During my teacher's first end-of-the-quarter party, he held a real awesome party where students could bring their own video game console and play them on the projects and TV's our teacher was able to borrow. I brought barlw (lol) because I thought that since it was the newest Smash game it would be the only Smash game people would want to play. I set it up in the morning before any classes started but when the first class began, a student from my teacher's first class of the day removed my game and popped in Melee. During lunch, I got back to find that friend and a few of his friends playing Melee on my wii. We then set up a mini tournament (tournament mode, single elimination and I won with Dr G placing second). From that moment I won, I knew I wanted to keep playing Melee again.

Fast forward about two months when my teacher held the second end-of-the-quarter party. Same game, same tournament (and win:chuckle:). The real event happened when Doctor G and his frined, CoryHAZE, went to his house to play some more Melee after school ended. The real event happened when I got a call from ephoenix6 inviting me to Smash with him someday soon. Then my Smash life led to a chain of events where I befriended many of the Melee players from MD/VA.
Wall of text stopper
Melee is too good.

Nobody to somebody story.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
ICG stop posting a lot in this thread please. It's better to have more posts with content in a meaningful topic such as this.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Whoa @ me just seeing this thread. I'll definitely write up my story sometime in the near future or when I get back home later. To those of you that know my story, you already know that it's going to be a super long write up haha.

Good **** TML for this thread.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I wonder if brawl will ever have these stories
tbh I have one.

Super Smash Brothers Melee is the game I would go to my cousin's house for when I was younger. I never won matches cause all I did was spam Pika's down-b, but the competitive value of the game didn't matter to me cause I was having fun. I had a Playstation as my first console and at I heart I cared about Sony's games more than Nintendo so I never got to own Smash bros. until Brawl was coming up. I bought the (no offense) piece of **** GC when I should've got the Wii...

I figured I'd finally own Melee so I could prepare for Brawl. I had a lot of fun playing CPUs...and friends who just plain sucked at Smash even though they owned the game longer than I. Melee was a great game I brung my cousins and ex-friends together, but my life changed w/ MY work, not some game.

2008, Brawl came out and it was a blast to play. Dis Masahiro Sakurai guy knocked my socks off w/ this game. Say whatever you want but it had the same basic gameplay I felt when I was younger. And that's not just the casual side. I said to myself I would become a fantastic Falco (bye bye Pika, lol). I would win more than lose, fight great players, help newbies improve and knock some sense into scrubs. At that time, I signed up an account for Smashboards.com.
"Wow, what I website" I said. I was able to learn the Falco CG, and watch SK92 and m2k play like men. It was amazing cause I also met other people to befriend and **** online. C: There were even Debate Halls and Blogs I read into that changed the way I thought about people, life, and politics.

There were these strange people who hated Brawl. "It S.U.C.K.S." and "Lol newb game" were some of the stuff they said. It made me upset cause none of that was true in my eyes. In the end I just said "**** it I have fun with all smashes. If you don't like the fact that ppl play Brawl then don't waste time thinking about such a game."

Basically, 64 and Melee lead me into loving Smash and Brawl taught me about smashboards and opening my eyes toward a lot of things w/ this life I'm living. There's smart people, funny people, friendlies, and scrubs. I love 'em all.

Btw if you're curious why I got Ninty's console in the first place was cause dat fat blu-ray abomination was too expensive.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I picked up Melee about a year ago although I owned Smash 64 and Melee both respectively for about a year (before letting someone borrow it, breaking or losing it) after they came out. I wasn't any good but when my friends and cousins would come over we would have free-for-alls with items on medium/high for Melee. I was about 11-12 around this time. I was a really athletic kid as my neighborhood was a collection (circle) of town houses (small apartments split into two sides) and in the middle was nothing but grass. All I did was play sports and games there until we were forced to move out. I lost my friends and neighbor hood fun after that. I stood inside playing FPS video games on PC and basically lived off the internet until I turned 15. I got a girlfriend and brought myself together and we broke up when I was 16, the end of Middle School. It kind of brought down my self-esteem and I picked up PC gaming again for the entire summer. Going into High School there was a videogame club and the day I went they were playing Melee. I had Brawl but never liked it and was wondering why they were playing Melee. The leader of the VGC was Charlie S. He mained Luigi and wave dashed EVERYWHERE. His bestfriend, also a junior was Bayindir. A falcon main who had l-canceling down. Seeing the fast paced game that I once enjoyed with my family, I quickly built a relationship with everyone in the club and got started and settled, playing the game.

I was still playing PC games, still living in my own bubble but now I had something to do on Fridays. For four hours I would go with a bunch of kids my age and play videogames. I had new friends and we all shared an interest. Not everyone liked Melee over Brawl but I was fine playing either. The juniors held an end of year tournament and I placed 3rd, behind Charlie and Bayindir. This was the last week of school, Early June. My birthday would come shortly after and with this I would spend my money on a Wii and Melee, as well as two gamecube controllers. I would practice wavedashing but never got it down completely. I did some youtube searches and found some tutorials but never actually looked at them. What I did find was some Mango vs Zhu @ WCSL and was amazed. The commentary made no sense to me but I looked up the terms and practiced everything. I practiced with Marth, who was my main at the time. Over the summer I found Smash Boards and lurked my *** off. Eventually I found the CT thread and decided to register. I never realized that I would actually meet people in the future. Sophomore year I wrecked everyone. Hosted tournaments to win them. I was proud of my growth but wanted to get better, as good as Zhu, Mango or SS. When winter came, I stopped practicing but eventually was invited to a smashfest @ POF's. I told my father and mother who were hessitant with the idea but I convinced them. I got wrecked by SPAWN, POF, and Vintage from CT. I enjoyed my *** off though and back then, it was easily the most fun I've had playing smash. I didn't talk much as I'm extremely shy and quiet around people I don't know but now that I know some of these people I can talk for days. Smash has shaped me into a different person. I can trust people now, I can talk to people and it gives me a really good reason to make friends. I've been playing this game for about a year an a half and have owned it for less than a year. I've been in the scene for less than 4 months but Smash has easily opened me up as an individual.

<3 Smash and the Smash community.

p.s I'm still coming for Zhu, SS and Mango's heads.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
This thread makes me wish I found SWF when I first picked up Melee in 2003.

Too bad I didn't have internet then.

I have a strong feeling Melee will last a very long time, especially if you see what's been happening to that OTHER game.

You know the one.

THAT game got me hyped and it didn't even come close to living up to it.

At least IT got me a Wii, which is great for hacks, like AR without and AR.

Great for Debug mode shenanigans.

Seriously, there's a REASON that THAT game was hacked harder than Hard Man's Morning wood, and I NEVER thought I would stoop that low for analogies.

P.S. I may have been filled with sorrow when I lost, but Melee tournaments were fun and excitng.

D20

Smash Lord
It was my first year of college (Fall 2006), and I was doing the whole stereotypical college thing... parties, alcohol, and women. It was fun for the first few weeks until I realized that I had made no real friends and that I always seemed to have that "empty" feeling in my stomach. I considered transferring schools or moving back home, when I decided to post on the boards.

I made a simple thread asking if there were any smashers in the Pittsburgh area that wanted to get some games (I had recently seen "Shined Blind" and had learned about the ATs). Takieddine responded in a matter of hours and asked me to drop by the Student Union the next day. I met up with him, played some games, and was blown away by his tech-skill. I saw how awesome the game was and wanted to get so much better. Takieddine invited me to stop back on Friday for his weekly smash-fest, and the rest was history.

When we all started out, there were only a few of us. PockyD, Mogwai, SwiftBass, and a few other students from the local colleges would hang out and play smash from noon until midnight on Fridays. After learning the game together, we started to travel to tournaments in PA, OH, and beyond. Smashers came and went, and but the ones that were there that first semester all became extremely close friends. Although only a few members of the original crew are left in Pittsburgh, I have kept the weekly events running and attendance has only increased. It has been an amazing four years... epic car rides, legendary tournaments, hysterical moments, and priceless memories.

Here's to friendships that will never die and to the game that gave them life... Long live Melee.

th0rn

Smash Lord
I had fun beating smelly kids and making them angry when they lost.

it was rlly fun.

I started making free money at tournies so i continued playing.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Random guy posts a lot of ****.
Wonder if anyone will bother reading, but I don't care. I typed this for myself.

I first played Melee at a party when it first came out. From then on though I didn't have a Gamecube, I would play Melee in 1P Mode or FFA with others whenever I went to my friends' houses, which wasn't often. I mained Young Link and was pro at dash attacking back then, but since I didn't have a cube, I stopped playing Melee.

Fast forward 3 years or so, a bunch of my new highschool friends started playing. We always played FFA and I would always get 2nd. I wanted to get better, so I looked up some ssbm videos on youtube. At first I was very unimpressed. 'All these people are doing are using aerial attacks' I thought to myself, I could beat them they don't use smash attacks enough. From then on, anytime I had a friend over, I would make them bring their Gamecube, and we would play smash for as long as I could make them. Eventually, my friends grew tired of smash, and one of them sold me their Gamecube, complete with Melee and controllers for $25. I started playing my brother all the time.

I finally got to try out the things I had read about: wavedashing, dash-dancing, l-cancel etc.. After 'mastering' all of them, I concluded that l-canceling was the only one worth learning. As long as I was able to beat my brother, I was the best in my eyes. While I went on to play other games, my brother practiced by himself. He picked up Luigi to practice wavedashing, and started beating me. Eventually, I acknowledged his practice and skill with the techniques I hadn't bothered to learn, and we started improving from there. I mained Falco and Marth and was an fsmash champion.

One day in school I heard that a math teacher was challenging his students to beat him at ssbm (LOL) and he would give anyone who beat him classes off. Even though I wasn't in his class, I went. After watching him wreck all the kids who were in his class, I played him and my Marth got 3 stocked by his Sheik. My brother and I teamed against him and a friend. We barely beat them when I went Jigglypuff (my secondary at the time). I got a great double rest to finish off the game, and from that moment I mained Jigglypuff.

I started playing with my brother and the math teacher, who later became known as Weapon X. We played every week from the end of school for 3 or 4 hours. I went to my first tournament with my brother, and didn't make it out of pools. Got to play Banks and Skler at my first tournament, and I was beaten as badly as I had expected. I met Kyu Puff through the forums, who happened to go to the same highschool as me. He soon joined our practice sessions after school. I started a smash club at my school, by taking over the Math Team (lol).

I'm now in college, playing with new friends and acquainting myself with the upstate New York smash scene. I can't say I've been around long, but I'm very thankful for all the good luck I've had. I had a bunch of amazing people to play with in highschool, and in my area. I would have never continued smash if it weren't for all the people that traveled to MA for tournaments, and never would have gone to tournaments if it weren't for the practice I got after classes in highschool. Now I find good people on my own, and I hope to continue improving.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
It was my first year of college (Fall 2006), and I was doing the whole stereotypical college thing... parties, alcohol, and women. It was fun for the first few weeks until I realized that I had made no real friends and that I always seemed to have that "empty" feeling in my stomach. I considered transferring schools or moving back home, when I decided to post on the boards.

I made a simple thread asking if there were any smashers in the Pittsburgh area that wanted to get some games (I had recently seen "Shined Blind" and had learned about the ATs). Takieddine responded in a matter of hours and asked me to drop by the Student Union the next day. I met up with him, played some games, and was blown away by his tech-skill. I saw how awesome the game was and wanted to get so much better. Takieddine invited me to stop back on Friday for his weekly smash-fest, and the rest was history.

When we all started out, there were only a few of us. PockyD, Mogwai, SwiftBass, and a few other students from the local colleges would hang out and play smash from noon until midnight on Fridays. After learning the game together, we started to travel to tournaments in PA, OH, and beyond. Smashers came and went, and but the ones that were there that first semester all became extremely close friends. Although only a few members of the original crew are left in Pittsburgh, I have kept the weekly events running and attendance has only increased. It has been an amazing four years... epic car rides, legendary tournaments, hysterical moments, and priceless memories.

Here's to friendships that will never die and to the game that gave them life... Long live Melee.
Awww, <3 Rob

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
ive been playing smash since it came out. when i was younger my borther would always beat me at 64 so i practiced and practiced and practiced till i was better than him. then he wouldnt play with me anymore. then melee came out and i never stopped playing it. in december 06 i went to my first tourny and have done them off and on since then. brawl came out and screwed my pants off through my butt hole. ouch. so now i have melee only tournys in mass and am having a ton of fun. i love melee and i pray it never dies. long live melee!

Steelia

Smash Champion
I have a confession to make.

...Brawl changed my life.
It sucked to ****ing hard that I never realized just how much my old Smash g/f named Melee loved me. I abandoned her for something less than a one night stand. Now I've been perpetually scarred, and I see it everywhere, written into everything. All directions I turn have THAT thing etched on it, drawing it, praising it, worshiping it. There are some days when I just wish I was blind to everything I had seen and heard, to all the pointless hype and selfish ambitions of its creator.
And then I think of what I have done... Betraying that which I should have never left. I bought her months before I even had a Gamecube, just for the day that we could finally sit down and have a good time... just as I always imagined it. Then I have to go and turn her away, for something that could NEVER satisfy the gaping hole for satisfaction.

But alas, love as it is, Melee welcomed me back with open arms... as open as she has always been. I've played better than I EVER have before in a game, and I continue to learn new secrets and all the new tricks... and that's even before I recognized the tournament scene.

Viva la Melee. Not again, Never again, shall I be so fooled as to fall for a two-minute celebrity and give up what I cherish the most, what I have always known to cherish the most.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
My favourite thing about Melee was the SPIRIT.

The feel of these characters joining up and fighting and the pinball-like frenzy of characters flying around. Melee provided all of my favourite multi-player memories. The unlockables and secrets...

Indeed Brawl was disappointing but I still like it. But I LOVE melee.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Awesome to hear more stories. Mike G I hope you haven't forgotten about this topic, I want to read that epic write up!

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
Melee changed my life.
I'm a high school student. A.K.A, a nobody in the Melee community. I can remember my first time playing SSB64, and I fell i love right there. I was with my cousins in SC, and I was trying to figure out how one of my cousins did Pika's fsmash. I was only nine, I couldn't do smash attacks, but I loved the game.
We got home that weekend, and I immediately started begging my mom for an N64. We got one, and Smash Bros. with it. I played it every day, but eventually got bored with it, as most kids do. I went out in 2002, and I saw Melee. I thought it was cool, so I went and bought it for my new GameCube. I played it and also thought it was okay, but it was definitely better than the original.
I saw "ssbm hardcore match" on youtube in 2007, and fell in love with the speed. I practiced everything I could with Falco and Falcon, and I went to *Pound* 4 this January after training for three years with my friends. It was my first tournament. I got 2-0'd every time, but I met Vist, a good friend of Wife. I've been training with Wife and Vist, and I'm going to smash with Hat some time soon, and am going to Aftershock this Saturday.
This game gave me my personality and humor and my life outside of social environments.
Viva la Melee

Top Bottom