• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee as Art: Basketball, Execution Barriers, and Jazz

Fashion

Smash Rookie
I would like to preface this post by saying: If this is a topic or area of discussion that has already been widely covered, then I do apologize. I am new to smash and the overall community, and there are only so many hours in the day to read old posts before you decide to go out on a limb and make one of your own. In this post I am going to attempt to talk about some high-brow bull****, while sounding the least pretentious as possible, a task I do not think I am up for. Also, a lot of what I am going to say is probably not quantifiable or testable, but I still think it has merit and may connect with others who feel similarly, but may have never realized it. Second, I would like to take a few short moments to give a bit of background about myself so you fine folks can understand a little better where all of this is coming from.

I have played other fighting games before, but for me, there always seemed to be something missing. I would get frustrated with trying to execute very specific combos, with tiny windows of opportunity, double quarter circles, and all that jazz. Not that those mechanics are bad in any way, they just didn't necessarily appeal to me at the time. I also tend to be someone who enjoys learning about a game, specifically competitive ones, more than actually playing it. I love StarCraft, and by that I mean, I love watching StarCraft and thinking about its strategies and nuances. It's not a game I enjoy playing very much. The way your hands need to move, and the rhythm of the game, is off-putting for me. A game can be as balanced or competitive as humanly possible, but for me, if I don't enjoy the kinetic experience of the mechanics themselves, I lose interest.

I discovered Melee and the smash community after watching the wonderful "Smash Brothers" documentary last summer. before that, my only real experience with smash as a game series was playing 64 with my friends back in the day. When I heard someone call Melee a "sandbox fighting game" I was immediately intrigued. Here is a game that is approaching the idea of a competitive fighter from a completely different angle. The idea that you could get a kill without even needing to do damage, simply by outwitting your opponent and forcing them to make mistakes, blew my mind. Before the documentary, I had never thought about smash as a game played 1 vs 1. So, after discovering Project M, getting that going on my Wii, and then later getting both it and Melee working on Dolphin, I found myself playing smash several hours a day and dedicating time to actually learning all the mechanics I had heard about, such as wavedashing and l-cancelling. Mind you, I still immensely suck, but something different was happening. I realized after about two months that, unlike the other competitive games I had tried to get into, I wasn't getting bored or losing interest. And here is where I would like to take a moment to talk about execution barriers.

From a game design perspective, I understand why execution barriers can be a bad thing. They can make your game unnecessarily hard and unintuitive, and difficult for new players to get into. But i'm not going to talk about them from a game perspective, specifically games as marketable products needing to be sold. I want to get outside of that concept for a minute and look at game design from the basis of athletic sports.

Many sports, such as basketball, have rules or mechanics that don't inherently add any extra value other than making things more difficult. Dribbling is a great example of this because it's not even an option. You have to dribble or the referee will literally stop the game and penalize you for it. Dribbling adds complexity but no depth. And yet I don't think anyone would disagree that its a good thing to have dribbling in basketball. You could totally make a game where you are allowed to walk around with the ball, hand it to your teammate until someone tries to put it in the hoop and score. Why don't they do this? Why don't they make the hoop 5 foot high and let everyone be able to dunk? Because playing that way wouldn't be fun. Humans love to do things for no other reason than because, just to say we did it. Why climb Mount Everest? There's nothing up there. When you get to the top you just walk back down. The journey up there is what's so exhilarating. Also, I heard the view's not bad. Basketball is more fun because of the complexity added to it. It's not JUST about who wins or who loses, and making sure its fair. It's also about trying to push ourselves to see how far our human capabilities can go. People who watch basketball as a competitive sport know this. Inherently, subconsciously, we know that competition is more fun when it's difficult. It's more interesting for the viewer when we know that not everyone can compete at that level. If they could, it would be pointless. People might still play basketball, but there would be no NBA.

Because Melee puts a much greater emphasis on the physics engine and how you move within the space of the game, the advanced techniques and hidden mechanics are, I feel, much more akin to physical sports than other fighting games. Learning to do a wavedash is like... learning to do a crossover in basketball. Most of smash is not about getting a hit confirm and then executing a precisely timed and memorized combo. The combos in smash are constantly changing, due to gravity, weight, knockback and tons of other factors. The way you and your opponent dance around each other, utilizing every little trick and nuance to try and get the advantage, is more like a Wimbledon match than a chess game. As such, the advanced techniques within the game work around this. They are generally small things that can be used whenever the player deems necessary. This makes the rhythm and pacing of the game much different than other fighters. Even from a visual perspective, Melee is interesting to watch. The speed and the way the players maneuver around the stage is enthralling. This is while I feel I am still as interested in playing and learning about Melee as the day I picked it up. And I think a lot of this would have been lost if Melee had been developed from the beginning as a competitive fighting game. Other fighting games feel so sterile and calculated, at least to me. Which is an unfortunate catch-22, because it means a game like Melee will likely never happen again.

I promise you, this long rambling post is going somewhere.

Now lets take a minute to explore this idea from a purely subjective standpoint. I am going to try and make this analogy as simple as possible for people who don't have any music theory knowledge. To me, Melee is like jazz. Jazz has a feel and rhythm unlike any other kind of music. It's complicated, and deep, often extremely fast, there are tons of subtleties, and there is simply nothing else like it. But unfortunately, a lot of people find it difficult to understand and really get into jazz, due to its sometimes obtuse nature. Now imagine if there was one person who invented jazz, and this person owned jazz as an idea and thing, and one day he came along and said "Hey! I've made a new jazz and I think its better because it appeals to a lot more people." And when you start listening to this new music, you realize its not jazz at all. Everything that made it jazz was taken out. All the sour notes, augmented chords and time signature changes are gone. It's still music, but it's not jazz.

This to me is the ultimate difference between Melee and the newer games. They simply don't feel the same to play. The same as classic rock doesn't sound like jazz, Brawl and Smash 4 don't FEEL the same to play as Melee does. Yes you're doing the same things, namely trying to knock your opponent off the stage, but the way you go about achieving that goal is almost entirely different. That's not to say classic rock is better or worse than jazz. It's just not the same. Nobody tries to make the argument that classic rock is what jazz should be or what jazz was intended to be. It's simply accepted that while they are both genres of music, they are not meant to be the same thing. If you're a guitar player, you know that playing jazz or classical music feels different than playing a modern pop song, not even considering how they actually sound. (I would like to reiterate here, I am not trying to make this an argument about what music is good or bad, I am simply using these as examples for their extreme differences.) Without all of the AT's, nuances, and oddities, you have a game that is slower, and less kinetically engaging, like jazz with all the jazz taken out. It doesn't feel as good in my fingers to play the other Smash games. Which I am betting is how a jazz player would feel if he was forced to play a four chord song, as awesome as that four chord song may very well be.

Alright.... so now I am going to attempt to bring all of these things together into a nice summary. here it goes...

Sometimes it's more enjoyable to do something complicated than to do something simple. Even if it doesn't add any inherent depth, it feels better because you know you've achieved something great. You've pushed yourself to the limit to reach your goal, whatever it may be. Viewers of traditional sports and e-sports alike enjoy watching people trying to do something complicated and difficult in competitive environments. The abstract nature of Melee, and its unique engine and mechanics, makes it feel unlike any other fighting game out there... like jazz, a beast all its own. When you strip all the weirdness and obscurity out of jazz its not jazz anymore. So you will never convince jazz players to move on to something that isn't jazz, Even if maybe this new music is more streamlined or broadly appealing to a wider audience. These two concepts, execution barriers and abstract creativity, make Melee the unique and beautiful competitive art form that we have come to know and love.

TL;DR: Melee is two basketball players with saxophones trying to dunk on each other while playing sick jazz solos.

edit: thanks to which ever kind person linked this on reddit. seems to be generating a lot of discussion. i would like to take a quick moment to address some of the counter points to the dribbling analogy.

i went with said analogy partially because basketball is one of the few physical sports i know much of anything about. and of course there probably isn't going to be a direct 1 to 1 relationship within the comparison because we are dealing with two fundamentally different activities. but i'd like to clarify my perspective on the dribbling analogy and why i chose to use it. my main point, or at least the one i attempted to make, was that dribbling does not offer any depth or options for the person who is dribbling, as far as movement and getting around the court goes. it simply makes the game harder for them. again, i don't know a lot about basketball, so if there is actually a situation where dribbling would be better for you than simply getting to run around holding the ball, i would like to hear it. it does however, as someone correctly pointed out, give the opponent opportunities that would not otherwise be there, such as stealing. in this way it does add depth to the game. which is, i think, akin to dropping an l-cancel and giving your opponent an opening to attack you.

i do agree that taking dribbling out of basketball would fundamentally change the game where as having auto l-cancelling would not. however, this i feel is only true because of the physical nature of basketball. if we had auto-dribbling basketballs the game would be fundamentally the same but technically easier. in fact, brawl is a great example of what it would be like if l-cancelling was taken out of the game and not replaced by anything. we got a game with the same amount, or more, not sure which, of landing lag but no longer any options to counteract it. which is exactly what would happen to basketball if dribbling was removed and not replaced by another movement option. at the core, it would be a lot slower.

also, i do get that i generalized other fighting games a great deal. i don't play them much and as such don't understand them as deeply as many others even in this sub do, i'm sure. i know there is so much more that goes into them other than combos. my point was mainly to try and describe why Melee appealed to me more, and a lot of that has to do with the dynamics of the physics engine and movement within the game. it is this variation and fluidity of movement that has made me interested in the game.

from what i am aware, and i could be totally off on this, combo timings and those sorts of things don't change based on the amount of damage you have taken in other fighting games. the same i believe goes for things like dashing, as in, you can control your dashing momentum and variation much more in Melee, at least from what i have experienced playing other FGs. this precise control over your character's movement is what i enjoy so much. again, as i stated in the post, this is not to say that other fighting games are bad, simply that Melee appealed to me more than other games did. i like the open-ended nature that exists within Melee. this post was meant to give my personal perspective and not try to make a defined argument as to the objective "betterness" or lack there of, compared to other fighters.

anyway, these are just my thoughts on the discussions that have been developing. thanks to everyone who has given their feedback and input. it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dott

Smash Ace
My god this needs more reads, it's just amazing how you put melee into that perspective. Please write more if you want to do so!

Can I share this on reddit? Not copy pasting, instead I mean linking this url.

Fashion

Smash Rookie
Yeah, that's totally cool man. I am so glad someone enjoyed it! I've been thinking about this stuff for a while, but didn't really find a good way to put it into words until recently. If you don't mind, leave the link to ready here so I can check it out as well.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
If melee is like jazz then PM is like... fusion? (which is a lot like jazz but is not jazz).

Anyways, good post and good luck with your melee journey.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
A lot of Fighting games are based on health and skill, but they use tradition. Some may change up the formula (Skullgirls Anti-Infinite is a good example) but nether the less, they keep to the same structure. Smash Bros is the only fighting game I know of that completely changes the formula that some people are used to. I do agree that some may find other fighting games hard to master, but that's due to balance. The way I see it, Smash's simple A and B attack system gives the player an advantage to the way the game is set up. Smash was made to be frantic and fast paced, so the controls had to reflect that. So the inputs were simplified to B for specials and A for regular attacks. Though in a weird way, the "Smash" attacks in this game give it more depth and that lead to combos which lead to the competitive nature of smash. That said, the game gets even more advanced with techniques like "L-Canceling" or the so called 'exploit' "Wave-Dashing" that were found by players of the game.

This is were the main topic the original creator stated. Melee is like Jazz due to it's very fast nature and complexity (Though I like to say Heavy Metal is kind of a more adapt analogy). This feeling of complexity and fastness was a choice of game design. Melee was crafted the way it was, though Melee does have some flaws (Marths grab is longer than Yoshi's).

But here's where I disagree. You see Smash 4, is in a new field. It's a field where it can be tweaked to the nth degree to be anything. We cannot really judge Smash 4 until the last update comes out. As you see, Smash 4 is doing something that other installments haven't done. That thing is updating the game to be more balanced. As we see now, Luma's recovery time has been extended to 13 seconds. That may be minor, but give a few more years to build onto that. We just got 4 updates for this game in the last month. Most 3DS games only have one or two to fix gamebreaking bugs. That's where my theory kicks in, witch I've dubbed the "Mike Z's 30 minute Pluming and Electrical service" theory because I want to name it that. The Mike Z's 30min P & E service theory states that when a game with fans that can see things like bugs or glitches or something that needs to be buffed are nerfed call out on things, the creators fix them. Or in a more simpler term, the gamers become Beta testers for the game to make the game better. So with that stated, Smash 4 has the chance to become (dare I say it) better than Melee in some peoples eyes. I'm a big Smash 4 fan, because what other game lets you play as Hitler, your waifu, and Shulk in boxer briefs. But I'm also a fan because of the eventual day that the updates push Smash 4 to overtake Melee's throne. The Thought to some people who are fans of Melee is that it's the day of Rapture, but I say to endure it because with Nintendo's new direction they'll hit that mark fast and hard. Nintendo back in the Brawl days was casual and aimed at kids. But now, since kids follow anything thats popular these days, Nintendo's foucusing on the fans. That's why Earthbound was put on Wii U and Mega Man is now in Smash. Nintendo knows what we want and they are delivering it at a shockingly alarming speed. They're already making A Majoras Mask Remake! So what I'm saying is to look at Smash 4 like a child. He might be okayish, but he might turn out to be a handsome Devil with a hart of Gold.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I've always really liked the analogy of comparing Melee to free form Jazz, it's just kinda always made sense to me.
I also really like how you compared it to basketball. I never in my life would have thought of such an analogy.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Loved the read. I have similar feelings towards Smash, though in my case, and it might be because I play Marth or my playstyle, but I always saw Melee as more of a 'dance' (I also dance irl and I'd call myself pretty 'musical'). It's actually what I visualize when I play 1v1. "Takes two to tango", whatever.

In comparison to the author, I also love jazz music and I also don't like playing the usual fighters that much, although I do try to play them. In contrast I enjoy both watching and playing Smash and Starcraft. The way I move my hands on my keyboard is also like a dance, although a little more routinely.

*I noticed that author is a Marth player too. Must be some sort of common understanding lol.

Last edited:

BoldFish

Smash Rookie
A lot of Fighting games are based on health and skill, but they use tradition. Some may change up the formula (Skullgirls Anti-Infinite is a good example) but nether the less, they keep to the same structure. Smash Bros is the only fighting game I know of that completely changes the formula that some people are used to. I do agree that some may find other fighting games hard to master, but that's due to balance. The way I see it, Smash's simple A and B attack system gives the player an advantage to the way the game is set up. Smash was made to be frantic and fast paced, so the controls had to reflect that. So the inputs were simplified to B for specials and A for regular attacks. Though in a weird way, the "Smash" attacks in this game give it more depth and that lead to combos which lead to the competitive nature of smash. That said, the game gets even more advanced with techniques like "L-Canceling" or the so called 'exploit' "Wave-Dashing" that were found by players of the game.

This is were the main topic the original creator stated. Melee is like Jazz due to it's very fast nature and complexity (Though I like to say Heavy Metal is kind of a more adapt analogy). This feeling of complexity and fastness was a choice of game design. Melee was crafted the way it was, though Melee does have some flaws (Marths grab is longer than Yoshi's).

But here's where I disagree. You see Smash 4, is in a new field. It's a field where it can be tweaked to the nth degree to be anything. We cannot really judge Smash 4 until the last update comes out. As you see, Smash 4 is doing something that other installments haven't done. That thing is updating the game to be more balanced. As we see now, Luma's recovery time has been extended to 13 seconds. That may be minor, but give a few more years to build onto that. We just got 4 updates for this game in the last month. Most 3DS games only have one or two to fix gamebreaking bugs. That's where my theory kicks in, witch I've dubbed the "Mike Z's 30 minute Pluming and Electrical service" theory because I want to name it that. The Mike Z's 30min P & E service theory states that when a game with fans that can see things like bugs or glitches or something that needs to be buffed are nerfed call out on things, the creators fix them. Or in a more simpler term, the gamers become Beta testers for the game to make the game better. So with that stated, Smash 4 has the chance to become (dare I say it) better than Melee in some peoples eyes. I'm a big Smash 4 fan, because what other game lets you play as Hitler, your waifu, and Shulk in boxer briefs. But I'm also a fan because of the eventual day that the updates push Smash 4 to overtake Melee's throne. The Thought to some people who are fans of Melee is that it's the day of Rapture, but I say to endure it because with Nintendo's new direction they'll hit that mark fast and hard. Nintendo back in the Brawl days was casual and aimed at kids. But now, since kids follow anything thats popular these days, Nintendo's foucusing on the fans. That's why Earthbound was put on Wii U and Mega Man is now in Smash. Nintendo knows what we want and they are delivering it at a shockingly alarming speed. They're already making A Majoras Mask Remake! So what I'm saying is to look at Smash 4 like a child. He might be okayish, but he might turn out to be a handsome Devil with a hart of Gold.
Dubstep is constantly changing. But it will never become Jazz.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I've been coming in and out of this thread throughout the day and there has been a consistent 70+ readers at any given time in this thread. Congrats OP, your story really deserves to be shared and read.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
Awesome read, and a great rebuttal to the "L-canceling adds nothing" argument.
If wee see the L cancel in terms of competitive depth, don´t add any kind of it, is just an extra innecesary imput, but, after read the whole post, is clear, this add another type of depth, it just feels right, the extra effort is necessary to feel an acomplishment from a hard excecution.

Is the same with balance, older post says the same, been unbalance add another type of depth to the game,
people don´t like perfect balance games, the popularity of those games is evident. Even chest is not a perfect balance game if you think about first turn advantage (thanks extra credits) this types of features make a huge impact in the psicological aspects of games,

This way of see things is interesting and i like it, it need to be more explored and talked about.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I feel like this could have been a melee it on me post. I'll call @TaFoKiNtS over here in case there's mutual interest on the side of both parties for this to be recopied there. Just an idea.

My thoughts about the game are very similar and I've voiced them in similar ways. Your version is very good, thank you. Maybe I'll consider doing a write up of my thoughts on the game and technical skill as well.

Last edited:

Fashion

Smash Rookie
thanks everyone for the likes and responses! i am absolutely blown away by the love this is getting right now. I hope everyone continues to share their thoughts and ideas in the thread.

Fizzi, i'd love to see a written version of your thoughts, fo sho! also, i'm totally fine with anyone using this where ever they please. just leave a link in the thread to where ever ya happen to put it, so more people can get in on the discussions and sharing.

lastly, if someone could seriously develop a jello/pudding flavor that tastes the way melee makes my brain feel... i'd probably have to swear a wookie life-debt to you.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Being challenged is what makes things enjoyable. The technical "barriers" are something fun to practice. You get to watch yourself get better and also develop a mindset of executing successfully to win but also putting in work learning nuances of the game. It is not enough to simply SHFFL as quickly as possible or at a certain timing out of dash over and over. Many times you want to delay the input, or not FF and instead drift inward or away, and so on and so on. These extra inputs key you into those nuances, and because they come so often really keep you immersed in the game.

I am glad you took the time to consider Melee from this perspective and with those analogies. I sometimes want to play other games myself but always feel too constricted or alienated from the game after what Melee has given me, so I can certainly understand your feelings haha.

I do hope you and others like you will continue to share such detailed illustrations of Melee in the years to come. It's always nice to see the things we know we love with new eyes =)

Fashion

Smash Rookie
sorry for the double post. took me a second to figure out how to quote someone specific in a thread. turns out you need to the use the reply feature. i tried to make it a lot more complicated.

Last edited:

Fashion

Smash Rookie
I do hope you and others like you will continue to share such detailed illustrations of Melee in the years to come. It's always nice to see the things we know we love with new eyes =)

a part of what really drew me into melee, both as a past time, and something that i enjoy discussing and thinking about, is the fact that the community really is very much a counter-culture in regards to gaming. you guys took a game that was literally deemed a "casual party experience" and made it one of the most important competitive games to ever exist. i'm not sure whether or not that was a conscious part of the melee scene development, wasn't around for all that good stuff unfortunately, but i think its an important aspect of what makes the melee community what it is today.

it's the love everyone has for the game that makes this thing we all enjoy so unique. that's a big reason, i think, as well that i feel more at home here than i have felt playing other games. the willingness to see things from many points of view, and to experience something in a way that it maybe wasn't intended, cannot be overstated. it borders on the mystical.

i do genuinely feel that the melee community should be looked at as pioneers of competitive gaming.

edit: side note... its pretty awesome to have one of the greats empathize with your point of view. i'm glad that i was able to get my ideas across in a way that made at least a modicum of sense haha. dr. peepee, you are fantastic.

Last edited:

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
a part of what really drew me into melee, both as a past time, and something that i enjoy discussing and thinking about, is the fact that the community really is very much a counter-culture in regards to gaming. you guys took a game that was literally deemed a "casual party experience" and made it one of the most important competitive games to ever exist. i'm not sure whether or not that was a conscious part of the melee scene development, wasn't around for all that good stuff unfortunately, but i think its an important aspect of what makes the melee community what it is today.

it's the love everyone has for the game that makes this thing we all enjoy so unique. that's a big reason, i think, as well that i feel more at home here than i have felt playing other games. the willingness to see things from many points of view, and to experience something in a way that it maybe wasn't intended, cannot be overstated. it borders on the mystical.

i do genuinely feel that the melee community should be looked at as pioneers of competitive gaming.

edit: side note... its pretty awesome to have one of the greats empathize with your point of view. i'm glad that i was able to get my ideas across in a way that made at least a modicum of sense haha. dr. peepee, you are fantastic.
Jazz and basquetball, that was awesome and wierd xD

a lot of people will agree with me, melee is adictive, because nobody can call himself a master of the game, there is allways something new to learn, and for some reason you will find the other fighters lacking is some areas.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I don't think Melee is something that will never be recreated in spirit. PM is inevitably going to come into that discussion, but as much as I love PM (and I will probably play it as long as there are people to play it with), it's in this awkward position of being too similar to Melee to be seen as an entirely different beast, modded from a game that's too old to compete with next-gen audiences, and with too much extraneous/janky stuff originating from Brawl's borderline broken engine. It's filled with coding compromises, and as much as I respect PM and the efforts of its developers, those limitations might never be completely overcome.

With that out of the way, the "spirit" of Melee, just like the spirit of Jazz, is nebulous and subjective. Everyone finds slightly different things enjoyable, intriguing, stimulating, exciting, etc about the game. The biggest thing for me is the movement. Any game that wants to follow in Melee's footsteps would have to absolutely nail movement, because Melee's physics/movement engine is just...pristine.

Assuming a somewhat similar movement system, what else could be evolved or redesigned? Think about the shield design in Melee. It's a creative way to give you, the defending character, a useful but by no means fool-proof means of blocking. The primary difference between it and TFG blocking is that it needs to block attacks from any direction, or, given Melee's open-ended movement options, it would be practically useless. It replaces high-low mixups and cross-ups with the omnipresent threat of a shield poke.

Now imagine that instead of a bubble, you have a circle. Instead of shrinking, it starts to become a semicircle that you have to angle towards the direction of the attack. Then a quarter-circle. Then when it vanishes...pop! It could even start as a semicircle or 3/4th of a circle at full health and shrink from there. It's a completely different solution to one of the many questions of how to make a platform fighter work, and probably one that Sakurai considered using himself before sticking with the bubble shield we have today.

That is just one infinitesimal example of how unexplored this genre of competitive fighting game actually is. Smash was (and perhaps still is) so far ahead of its time that until recently, nobody dared delve into this realm for fear of being seen as an imitator. Melee will always be respected as the true progenitor of the Platform Fighter, but I'm positive that some day, somebody with the right combination of nostalgia, talent, and a head full of crazy ideas will come up with something most of us can appreciate the same way we appreciate Melee.

Miko

Smash Cadet
This was a brilliant and wonderful read, and there's really not a lot more to say haha. I've always loved the fluidity and freedom of Melee, and that it combines intelligent and adaptive play with technical consistency... I think you've made an amazing analogy here :)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
After reading this a friend of mine made this comparison:

"64 is a metal band with two alternating guitar soloists"

Seeker-of-Light-XIV

Smash Rookie
Also, a lot of what I am going to say is probably not quantifiable or testable, but I still think it has merit and may connect with others who feel similarly, but may have never realized it.
This. While I was reading your post I couldn't help but think, "wow, this is exactly how I feel". Both your analogies to basketball and jazz were excellent at explaining why Melee feels so different, but yet so great. Thank you for such a well-written article that really captures the spirit of why Melee is such a great game.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I've always loved melee (and PM) because of the ability to be creative with your stocks and style on people, much like improvising in music. I wonder if the smasher/musician demographic is any larger because of these similarities.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
After reading this a friend of mine made this comparison:

"64 is a metal band with two alternating guitar soloists"
I think of 64 as a guy playing metal music from the top of his head.

Its pretty sweet, but it's not really that formed.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
I would like to preface this post by saying: If this is a topic or area of discussion that has already been widely covered, then I do apologize. I am new to smash and the overall community, and there are only so many hours in the day to read old posts before you decide to go out on a limb and make one of your own. In this post I am going to attempt to talk about some high-brow bull****, while sounding the least pretentious as possible, a task I do not think I am up for. Also, a lot of what I am going to say is probably not quantifiable or testable, but I still think it has merit and may connect with others who feel similarly, but may have never realized it. Second, I would like to take a few short moments to give a bit of background about myself so you fine folks can understand a little better where all of this is coming from.

I have played other fighting games before, but for me, there always seemed to be something missing. I would get frustrated with trying to execute very specific combos, with tiny windows of opportunity, double quarter circles, and all that jazz. Not that those mechanics are bad in any way, they just didn't necessarily appeal to me at the time. I also tend to be someone who enjoys learning about a game, specifically competitive ones, more than actually playing it. I love StarCraft, and by that I mean, I love watching StarCraft and thinking about its strategies and nuances. It's not a game I enjoy playing very much. The way your hands need to move, and the rhythm of the game, is off-putting for me. A game can be as balanced or competitive as humanly possible, but for me, if I don't enjoy the kinetic experience of the mechanics themselves, I lose interest.

I discovered Melee and the smash community after watching the wonderful "Smash Brothers" documentary last summer. before that, my only real experience with smash as a game series was playing 64 with my friends back in the day. When I heard someone call Melee a "sandbox fighting game" I was immediately intrigued. Here is a game that is approaching the idea of a competitive fighter from a completely different angle. The idea that you could get a kill without even needing to do damage, simply by outwitting your opponent and forcing them to make mistakes, blew my mind. Before the documentary, I had never thought about smash as a game played 1 vs 1. So, after discovering Project M, getting that going on my Wii, and then later getting both it and Melee working on Dolphin, I found myself playing smash several hours a day and dedicating time to actually learning all the mechanics I had heard about, such as wavedashing and l-cancelling. Mind you, I still immensely suck, but something different was happening. I realized after about two months that, unlike the other competitive games I had tried to get into, I wasn't getting bored or losing interest. And here is where I would like to take a moment to talk about execution barriers.

From a game design perspective, I understand why execution barriers can be a bad thing. They can make your game unnecessarily hard and unintuitive, and difficult for new players to get into. But i'm not going to talk about them from a game perspective, specifically games as marketable products needing to be sold. I want to get outside of that concept for a minute and look at game design from the basis of athletic sports.

Many sports, such as basketball, have rules or mechanics that don't inherently add any extra value other than making things more difficult. Dribbling is a great example of this because it's not even an option. You have to dribble or the referee will literally stop the game and penalize you for it. Dribbling adds complexity but no depth. And yet I don't think anyone would disagree that its a good thing to have dribbling in basketball. You could totally make a game where you are allowed to walk around with the ball, hand it to your teammate until someone tries to put it in the hoop and score. Why don't they do this? Why don't they make the hoop 5 foot high and let everyone be able to dunk? Because playing that way wouldn't be fun. Humans love to do things for no other reason than because, just to say we did it. Why climb Mount Everest? There's nothing up there. When you get to the top you just walk back down. The journey up there is what's so exhilarating. Also, I heard the view's not bad. Basketball is more fun because of the complexity added to it. It's not JUST about who wins or who loses, and making sure its fair. It's also about trying to push ourselves to see how far our human capabilities can go. People who watch basketball as a competitive sport know this. Inherently, subconsciously, we know that competition is more fun when it's difficult. It's more interesting for the viewer when we know that not everyone can compete at that level. If they could, it would be pointless. People might still play basketball, but there would be no NBA.

Because Melee puts a much greater emphasis on the physics engine and how you move within the space of the game, the advanced techniques and hidden mechanics are, I feel, much more akin to physical sports than other fighting games. learning to do a wavedash is like... learning to do a crossover in basketball. Most of smash is not about getting a hit confirm and then executing a precisely timed and memorized combo. The combos in smash are constantly changing, due to gravity, weight, knockback and tons of other factors. The way you and your opponent dance around each other, utilizing every little trick and nuance to try and get the advantage, is more like a Wimbledon match than a chess game. As such, the advanced techniques within the game work around this. They are generally small things that can be used whenever the player deems necessary. This makes the rhythm and pacing of the game much different than other fighters. Even from a visual perspective, Melee is interesting to watch. The speed and the way the players maneuver around the stage is enthralling. This is while I feel I am still as interested in playing and learning about Melee as the day I picked it up. And I think a lot of this would have been lost if Melee had been developed from the beginning as a competitive fighting game. Other fighting games feel so sterile and calculated, at least to me. Which is an unfortunate catch-22, because it means a game like Melee will likely never happen again.

I promise you, this long rambling post is going somewhere.

Now lets take a minute to explore this idea from a purely subjective standpoint. I am going to try and make this analogy as simple as possible for people who don't have any music theory knowledge. To me, Melee is like jazz. Jazz has a feel and rhythm unlike any other kind of music. It's complicated, and deep, often extremely fast, there are tons of subtleties, and there is simply nothing else like it. But unfortunately, a lot of people find it difficult to understand and really get into jazz, due to its sometimes obtuse nature. Now imagine if there was one person who invented jazz, and this person owned jazz as an idea and thing, and one day he came along and said "Hey! I've made a new jazz and I think its better because it appeals to a lot more people." And when you start listening to this new music, you realize its not jazz at all. Everything that made it jazz was taken out. All the sour notes, augmented chords and time signature changes are gone. It's still music, but it's not jazz.

This to me is the ultimate difference between Melee and the newer games. They simply don't feel the same to play. The same as classic rock doesn't sound like jazz, Brawl and Smash 4 don't FEEL the same to play as Melee does. Yes you're doing the same things, namely trying to knock your opponent off the stage, but the way you go about achieving that goal is almost entirely different. That's not to say classic rock is better or worse than jazz. It's just not the same. Nobody tries to make the argument that classic rock is what jazz should be or what jazz was intended to be. It's simply accepted that while they are both genres of music, they are not meant to be the same thing. If you're a guitar player, you know that playing jazz or classical music feels different than playing a modern pop song, not even considering how they actually sound. (I would like to reiterate here, I am not trying to make this an argument about what music is good or bad, I am simply using these as examples for their extreme differences.) Without all of the AT's, nuances, and oddities, you have a game that is slower, and less kinetically engaging, like jazz with all the jazz taken out. It doesn't feel as good in my fingers to play the other Smash games. Which I am betting is how a jazz player would feel if he was forced to play a four chord song, as awesome as that four chord song may very well be.

Alright.... so now I am going to attempt to bring all of these things together into a nice summary. here it goes...

Sometimes it's more enjoyable to do something complicated than to do something simple. Even if it doesn't add any inherent depth, it feels better because you know you've achieved something great. You've pushed yourself to the limit to reach your goal, whatever it may be. Viewers of traditional sports and e-sports alike enjoy watching people trying to do something complicated and difficult in competitive environments. The abstract nature of Melee, and its unique engine and mechanics, makes it feel unlike any other fighting game out there... like jazz, a beast all its own. When you strip all the weirdness and obscurity out of jazz its not jazz anymore. So you will never convince jazz players to move on to something that isn't jazz, Even if maybe this new music is more streamlined or broadly appealing to a wider audience. These two concepts, execution barriers and abstract creativity, make Melee the unique and beautiful competitive art form that we have come to know and love.

TL;DR: Melee is two basketball players with saxophones trying to dunk on each other while playing sick jazz solos.

edit: thanks to which ever kind person linked this on reddit. seems to be generating a lot of discussion. i would like to take a quick moment to address some of the counter points to the dribbling analogy.

i went with said analogy partially because basketball is one of the few physical sports i know much of anything about. and of course there probably isn't going to be a direct 1 to 1 relationship within the comparison because we are dealing with two fundamentally different activities. but i'd like to clarify my perspective on the dribbling analogy and why i chose to use it. my main point, or at least the one i attempted to make, was that dribbling does not offer any depth or options for the person who is dribbling, as far as movement and getting around the court goes. it simply makes the game harder for them. again, i don't know a lot about basketball, so if there is actually a situation where dribbling would be better for you than simply getting to run around holding the ball, i would like to hear it. it does however, as someone correctly pointed out, give the opponent opportunities that would not otherwise be there, such as stealing. in this way it does add depth to the game. which is, i think, akin to dropping an l-cancel and giving your opponent an opening to attack you.

i do agree that taking dribbling out of basketball would fundamentally change the game where as having auto l-cancelling would not. however, this i feel is only true because of the physical nature of basketball. if we had auto-dribbling basketballs the game would be fundamentally the same but technically easier. in fact, brawl is a great example of what it would be like if l-cancelling was taken out of the game and not replaced by anything. we got a game with the same amount, or more, not sure which, of landing lag but no longer any options to counteract it. which is exactly what would happen to basketball if dribbling was removed and not replaced by another movement option. at the core, it would be a lot slower.

also, i do get that i generalized other fighting games a great deal. i don't play them much and as such don't understand them as deeply as many others even in this sub do, i'm sure. my point was mainly to try and describe why Melee appealed to me more, and a lot of that has to do with the dynamics of the physics engine and movement within the game.

from what i am aware, and i could be totally off on this, combo timings and those sorts of things don't change based on the amount of damage you have taken in other fighting games. again, as i stated in the post, this is not to say that other fighting games are bad, simply that Melee appealed to me more than other games did. i like the open-ended nature that exists within Melee. this post was meant to give my personal perspective and not try to make a definite argument as to the objective "betterness" or lack there of, compared to other FGs.

anyway, these are just my thoughts on the discussions that have been developing. thanks to everyone who has given their feedback and input. it's greatly appreciated.
Thank you. Thank you so much. You have surpassed all expectations of mine with this post. You've put into words what I've thought for months, being new-ish like you. This has all been up in my head, being both a basketball and Tenor/Alto Sax player and Jazz enthusiast, as all Sax players seem to be genetically obligated to be. I have been trying to explain these concepts for so long, these concepts touched on in the first and last episodes of TSB, for what seems like an eternity because I am simply not articulate enough to explain it fully and now have something to point to and say, "This." Thank you, from all of us in the Smash community. Well done. Fashion for President.

Fashion

Smash Rookie
Thank you. Thank you so much. You have surpassed all expectations of mine with this post. You've put into words what I've thought for months, being new-ish like you. This has all been up in my head, being both a basketball and Tenor/Alto Sax player and Jazz enthusiast, as all Sax players seem to be genetically obligated to be. I have been trying to explain these concepts for so long, these concepts touched on in the first and last episodes of TSB, for what seems like an eternity because I am simply not articulate enough to explain it fully and now have something to point to and say, "This." Thank you, from all of us in the Smash community. Well done. Fashion for President.
well... i am floored. thanks so much for your kind words! i'm glad i could find a way to describe what you have been wanting to say. i'll admit, i was a bit nervous considering this is my first post and all... wasn't sure what the overall response would be like. i was guessing it would be mostly "cool." so obviously, i am quite surprised and flattered that people have been enjoying reading this.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Fantastic read, well done. This properly puts into words something I've been trying to explain to people for years. Good stuff man!

Theguesst

Smash Rookie
Beautiful. Wish more people shared this mentality in every gaming community. These kinds of ideas are why traditional gaming has me bored while outside challenges leave me fulfilled. Things like speedruns with unintended glitches and preplanning and games of one on one combat where players are not just fighting each other, but fighting to get better, faster and stronger. Back in 2011 when I first got marvel 3 I wanted to learn how to do combos. I looked at tourney footage for the first time on youtube and was blown away at the idea thata mistake can turn the tide of a match. I believe we have the same connection here on human error existing within a game through "bad game design". I don't even think I could even put my finger on this idea until I read your comparisons, so thank you.

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
This post was really relatable and I hope many others are able to see it in the future. I always found a direct correlation between the free style of melee with that of jazz musician Miles Davis' album ******* Brew.

Top Bottom