• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic = THE perfect 3rd party trifecta (PAC-MAN CONFIRMED THE DREAM IS REAL!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
The reason Sonic didn't compliment Snake in Brawl was because Snake was a really weird addition in the first place. He has nearly no history with Nintendo at all. It's just that his developer was friends with Sakurai. On the other hand, I feel Sonic and Mario compliment each other very well, as do MegaMan, Sonic, and Mario together.

Pac-Man, on the other hand, has a huge history with Nintendo, and delightfully fits well into the Nintendo universe. He's happy, colorful, animated, and good-natured. Plus Namco and Nintendo have worked together several times in the past.

Honestly, if anyone at this point is saying that Pac-Man is unlikely, they either haven't checked the facts or they're in denial. I'm not saying he's 100% confirmed, but I am saying he's the most likely third-party addition to the game right now.
That's just it though. Snake had nothing to do with Nintendo back in Brawl but still got in. Who's to say he won't be getting in the next one? Sakurai and Kojima are still friends, right? There's no reason to count Snake out yet.

And what are these facts that need to be checked? Namco's helping on the game? Didn't Namco also help with the online for Wii Sports Club? I don't see Pacman in that game.
And with that Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures game that came out of no where last year, Nintendo barely advertised it. Compared to other 3rd party games like Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World, and even Assassin's Creed, nothing Pacman related was really shown in any of the Directs.

So yeah I find it very hard to believe that they're just suddenly gonna show all this Pac-love out of nowhere. Sure you can say I'm in denial and I apologize if I sound aggressive. I personally don't dislike Pacman, I just don't feel him for Smash.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/2...orts-club-including-namco-bandai-involvement/ <-- Also a link to the Namco Wii Sports Club thing.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
That's just it though. Snake had nothing to do with Nintendo back in Brawl but still got in. Who's to say he won't be getting in the next one? Sakurai and Kojima are still friends, right? There's no reason to count Snake out yet.

And what are these facts that need to be checked? Namco's helping on the game? Didn't Namco also help with the online for Wii Sports Club? I don't see Pacman in that game.
And with that Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures game that came out of no where last year, Nintendo barely advertised it. Compared to other 3rd party games like Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World, and even Assassin's Creed, nothing Pacman related was really shown in any of the Directs.

So yeah I find it very hard to believe that they're just suddenly gonna show all this Pac-love out of nowhere. Sure you can say I'm in denial and I apologize if I sound aggressive. I personally don't dislike Pacman, I just don't feel him for Smash.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/2...orts-club-including-namco-bandai-involvement/ <-- Also a link to the Namco Wii Sports Club thing.
Honestly there are a lot of games Nintendo didn't advertise. It's not their jobs to advertise games other companies are working on. The reason the games you mentioned specifically were "advertised" by Nintendo was because they were promoting their new system. Rayman Legends was a Wii U exclusive and used the touch pad in unique ways. Assassin's Creed showed that the new Wii U could handle next gen gaming. Sonic Lost World also got a lot of love because of Sega and Nintendo's relationship lately, and because it's a Nintendo exclusive.

On that same note, when was the last time you saw Nintendo advertise a MegaMan game on their system? They show off the MegaMan virtual console games on their site, sure, but they also do the same thing with Pac-Man games, and yet MegaMan is in Smash. Again, it's not Nintendo's job to advertise the games of other companies, but they do it when the reason behind it is supportive of their own agenda. Pac-Man's latest game was a tie-in to the new show, a casual platforming game that appeared on the Xbox, PS3, and PC as well. It really didn't have much to do with Nintendo other than appearing on their console.

And one last note. "Pac-Love out of nowhere"? Shigeru Miyamoto himself, the creator of Mario, has stated Pac-Man is one of his favorite video game characters ever. He even created Pac-Man Vs. on the Gamecube, and it features Mario's voice commentating the whole game. Not only that, but Pac-Man has appeared in not one, but three Mario Kart games, all of which have been developed in partnership by Namco.

I hope I didn't come across as harsh here, because I'm certainly not trying to be. Just putting up facts and references to show my reasoning. This is what I mean by "haven't checked the facts." Nintendo not advertising Pac-Man games doesn't mean anything, but I think Pac-Man being alongside Mario in four games now says something.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
H
I think Pac-Man being alongside Mario in four games now says something.
This is a pretty good point, considering Sonic himself is also now in four games with Mario besides Brawl. Even if the Mario & Sonic Olympics series are a bit more well-known and more frequently made (Every two years just like the Olympics themselves) in the mainstream, then the Mario Kart arcade games and Pac-Man Vs. are.

The fact that series still makes money was one of the big things that seemed to make Sonic's inclusion inevitable, the Sega-Nintendo deal was icing on the cake. As what sense does it make to have Mario & Sonic play in the Olympics against eachother, but not be able to fight eachother again in SSB? I don't care how anyone possibly worried or even entertained/went into denial themselves with the idea of Sonic being a "Brawl Exclusive Guest", there was far too much in favor of him.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The reason Sonic didn't compliment Snake in Brawl was because Snake was a really weird addition in the first place. He has nearly no history with Nintendo at all. It's just that his developer was friends with Sakurai. On the other hand, I feel Sonic and Mario compliment each other very well, as do MegaMan, Sonic, and Mario together.

Pac-Man, on the other hand, has a huge history with Nintendo, and delightfully fits well into the Nintendo universe. He's happy, colorful, animated, and good-natured. Plus Namco and Nintendo have worked together several times in the past.

Honestly, if anyone at this point is saying that Pac-Man is unlikely, they either haven't checked the facts or they're in denial. I'm not saying he's 100% confirmed, but I am saying he's the most likely third-party addition to the game right now.
What are you talking about pacman share just as much history with nintendo as snake dose witch is not much hell good pac man games are on other platforms as well.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just want Sonic, Mega Man, Snake AND Pac-Man...

Is that too much to ask?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I just want Sonic, Mega Man, Snake AND Pac-Man...

Is that too much to ask?
Honestly I would love that too. I'm not a fan of Snake, but I know several people who are, and he was definitely an interesting and unique addition to Brawl. I'd be sad to see him go.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
[...]
The only crossover that hasn't yet happened is Sonic meets Pac-Man.
You could count Wreck-it Ralph, both Pac-Man and Sonic were in the movie (and together in the Felix Party); .. well, if not, ... indirectly, Project X Zone,... none of the actual mascots were there, but it's a encounter of their respective companies...
or still there is it.

=P

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Honestly there are a lot of games Nintendo didn't advertise. It's not their jobs to advertise games other companies are working on. The reason the games you mentioned specifically were "advertised" by Nintendo was because they were promoting their new system. Rayman Legends was a Wii U exclusive and used the touch pad in unique ways. Assassin's Creed showed that the new Wii U could handle next gen gaming. Sonic Lost World also got a lot of love because of Sega and Nintendo's relationship lately, and because it's a Nintendo exclusive.

On that same note, when was the last time you saw Nintendo advertise a MegaMan game on their system? They show off the MegaMan virtual console games on their site, sure, but they also do the same thing with Pac-Man games, and yet MegaMan is in Smash. Again, it's not Nintendo's job to advertise the games of other companies, but they do it when the reason behind it is supportive of their own agenda. Pac-Man's latest game was a tie-in to the new show, a casual platforming game that appeared on the Xbox, PS3, and PC as well. It really didn't have much to do with Nintendo other than appearing on their console.

And one last note. "Pac-Love out of nowhere"? Shigeru Miyamoto himself, the creator of Mario, has stated Pac-Man is one of his favorite video game characters ever. He even created Pac-Man Vs. on the Gamecube, and it features Mario's voice commentating the whole game. Not only that, but Pac-Man has appeared in not one, but three Mario Kart games, all of which have been developed in partnership by Namco.

I hope I didn't come across as harsh here, because I'm certainly not trying to be. Just putting up facts and references to show my reasoning. This is what I mean by "haven't checked the facts." Nintendo not advertising Pac-Man games doesn't mean anything, but I think Pac-Man being alongside Mario in four games now says something.
I feel Megaman is more prominent in Nintendo's history than Pacman is. Megaman was born on the NES and was a huge franchise in those days. Pacman is more iconic for the arcade cabinet games scene and I swear they rerelease that game at least twice a friggin year...
All my debating aside though, it's inevitable that Pacman will get in Smash 4. Megaman, despite not being much of a star in today's gaming, was one of the top requested 3rd party characters and there's no doubt that Pacman isn't far behind. I'm just in the minority for those who don't want Pacman. It is what it is.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I feel Megaman is more prominent in Nintendo's history than Pacman is. Megaman was born on the NES and was a huge franchise in those days. Pacman is more iconic for the arcade cabinet games scene and I swear they rerelease that game at least twice a friggin year...
All my debating aside though, it's inevitable that Pacman will get in Smash 4. Megaman, despite not being much of a star in today's gaming, was one of the top requested 3rd party characters and there's no doubt that Pacman isn't far behind. I'm just in the minority for those who don't want Pacman. It is what it is.
I'll agree there. MegaMan most certainly did get his start on the NES, and that's actually my start into gaming as well. Ahh the days of MegaMan 2. What an amazing game.

Pac-Man's history on Nintendo consoles is pretty much on par with most other gaming mascots of the time. He was there and mainly featured on the NES and SNES, but once other consoles started to show up and become prominent, Pac-Man games spread to them as well. There never was any real loyalty to Nintendo consoles or handhelds, but the same can be said of pretty much every other non-Nintendo character.

Also, I appreciate your knowledge on the subject. Even though you're not a fan of Pac-Man, it's nice to see someone recognize the possibility of his inclusion due to the facts rather than blindly saying he has no chance simply because you don't like him. :p We get that from time to time in the Pac-Man support thread, but I suppose all characters probably do.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You could count Wreck-it Ralph, both Pac-Man and Sonic were in the movie (and together in the Felix Party); .. well, if not, ... indirectly, Project X Zone,... none of the actual mascots were there, but it's a encounter of their respective companies...
or still there is it.

=P
How could I forget Wreck-it damn Ralph?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
no metal gear for the wii u, i don't think there is going to be a snake...
but namco bandai working on the game, pacman already having games on the nintendo...he's in

april first they should show snakes box, then have pac-man come from underneath it

I don't get why people completely forget this game's existence.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

I don't get why people completely forget this game's existence.
I think because it wasn't a new game, just a port of a PS2 game. Which isn't bad, but like the HD Collections released on Xbox and PS3, they weren't anything to get super hyped about. Good games, but games we've played before.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I really don't want Pac Man as a Namco rep. Personally with what Namco has I've become more and more a supporter of Klonoa because I think he'd be easier to make a moveset for and he fits in well with the Smash cast. Klonoa has a fairly recent appearance in a remake of his first game on the Wii plus several GBA games with the first of which has been announced for a virtual console release.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I really don't want Pac Man as a Namco rep. Personally with what Namco has I've become more and more a supporter of Klonoa because I think he'd be easier to make a moveset for and he fits in well with the Smash cast. Klonoa has a fairly recent appearance in a remake of his first game on the Wii plus several GBA games with the first of which has been announced for a virtual console release.
I really love Klonoa as well. I think he's a fantastic character and would definitely see him fitting in with the Smash universe. That said, and all bias aside, it would be weird for Namco to pick out a character of theirs who is, unfortunately, pretty minor instead of their main mascot. He's only had four main game entries, as far as I believe, which is sad because he's such a fun character.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Either Pac-Man or Klonoa would be a better choice than Lloyd Irving, at the very least, because the ToS remake is Playstation exclusive. I'd love to have either of them in. Pac-Man moreso than Klonoa, purely because of nostalgic feelings and Pac-Man simply being way, WAY more recognizable than Klonoa, but I'd totally welcome Klonoa with open arms if he got in instead, which I don't really see happening. But hey, Sakurai has done weirder things with the Smash series. Putting in Snake in, for one. Who can go take a hike for all I care, at that.

Come on Sakurai! Give us Mr. Pizza Pac-Man! I want that Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac-Man match!

I swear though if Pac-Man can eat items like Kirby and Wario, and Yoshi still can't, I'm gonna throw a tantrum

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
How could I forget Wreck-it damn Ralph?
Then theres this

I think because it wasn't a new game, just a port of a PS2 game. Which isn't bad, but like the HD Collections released on Xbox and PS3, they weren't anything to get super hyped about. Good games, but games we've played before.
But if someone is going to use that as an argument, you could discount a ton of sonic's games for that. Really i dont think any game would get seen as less for it being a port or anything like that (sonic has a few of those that were elsewhere first), and even then i doubt sakurai would even care because he really wouldnt be counting titles or their quality like that anyway.

They went the extra mile with this, which some series cant even say they have done for nintendo

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Either Pac-Man or Klonoa would be a better choice than Lloyd Irving, at the very least, because the ToS remake is Playstation exclusive. I'd love to have either of them in. Pac-Man moreso than Klonoa, purely because of nostalgic feelings and Pac-Man simply being way, WAY more recognizable than Klonoa, but I'd totally welcome Klonoa with open arms if he got in instead, which I don't really see happening. But hey, Sakurai has done weirder things with the Smash series. Putting in Snake in, for one. Who can go take a hike for all I care, at that.

Come on Sakurai! Give us Mr. Pizza Pac-Man! I want that Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac-Man match!

I swear though if Pac-Man can eat items like Kirby and Wario, and Yoshi still can't, I'm gonna throw a tantrum
I understand people's desire to have Lloyd in the game, since the ToS games are apparently amazing. I haven't played them, however, so to me I see him as just another sword-wielding human character. Honestly, my favorite characters in Smash are the oddball thingamabobs like Kirby, Pikachu, Dedede, Game & Watch, and Bowser, because in every other fighting game it's mainly filled with human characters. Smash breaks that mold and mixes it up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well E3 is coming up soon. If there's athird third-party character that's when they'll reveal them. If not then it's Sonic and MegaMan all the way.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If the SFlag is an AT type item then expect that to be your Tales Series representation. :troll:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I never cared for Pac Man, but as long as there is no inspiration from...it...then I'm fine.
What "it"? There's been a lot of Pac-Man related stuff the world would rather forget.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
What are you talking about pacman share just as much history with nintendo as snake dose witch is not much hell good pac man games are on other platforms as well.
Pac-Man NES and Gameboy
Ms Pac-Man NES and Gameboy
Pac-Man 2 SNES
Pac-Attack SNES
Pac-In-Time SNES
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness N64
Pac-Man World GBA
Pac-Man World 2 GBA and Game Cube (The game cube version came with the Pac-Man game Miyamoto made)
Pac-Man World 3 Game Cube
Pac-Man Fever Game Cube
Pac-Man Vs. Game Cube game Developed by Miyamoto. Mario appears as an announcer
Mario Kart GP Has a good portion of Pac-Man characters for Namco reps.
Mario Kart GP 2 Pac-Man returns for this game.

NOTE: I didn't list all of the Pac-Man games on Nintendo systems, and two Nintendo arcade games. i'm just making the comparison.

Metal Gear NES
Metal Gear 2 NES
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel Gameboy Color
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes Game Cube
Metal Gear Solid 3D 3DS

This is the entire library of Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
I'm pretty sure we will see classic Pac-Man as a character that pops out when someone grabs the Special Flag.

As for him being a playable character, I dunno. They would have to use his 3D depiction, and this one is nowhere near as iconic as his 2D one. I just watched a bit of gameplay footage from the Ghostly Adventures game, and I can say I definitely wasn't expecting Pac-Man to be 12 year old kid spurting cheesy one-liners...

They went to great lengths to make Mega Man feel like his iconic NES self, I can't imagine them picking some incarnation of Pac-Man most have never seen in action, only for the sake of saying Pac-Man is playable.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm pretty sure we will see classic Pac-Man as a character that pops out when someone grabs the Special Flag.

As for him being a playable character, I dunno. They would have to use his 3D depiction, and this one is nowhere near as iconic as his 2D one. I just watched a bit of gameplay footage from the Ghostly Adventures game, and I can say I definitely wasn't expecting Pac-Man to be 12 year old kid spurting cheesy one-liners...

They went to great lengths to make Mega Man feel like his iconic NES self, I can't imagine them picking some incarnation of Pac-Man most have never seen in action, only for the sake of saying Pac-Man is playable.
Well there is no plausible way to expand upon a moveset with only just Pac-Man's head, they are probably going to give him the World design with a retrofied look.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
The important thing to remember is that at this point anything could happen. I went back to look at an old Zelda thread, talking about the possibility of the phantom being her new down B and the idea of Sheik getting removed. The whole thread was full off "you have to be a complete moron to think that". Fair to say, everyone was at least half right, but that and things like WiiFit trainer, should be a good indication that putting 100% of your faith that certain characters will or wont be in a game, is very dangerous.

That being said, Pacman does carry some weight around his belt as a possible character. I know a lot of people want Lloyd or Klonoa as Namco reps, and I cant really blame them. I played Tales of Symphonia, I played some of the Klonoa games, and both have a lot of interesting merits, and easy to create move sets. However the big problem is they aren't hugely iconic. Certainly great games, and im sure they have a good following, but on the larger scale of things, they probably arent well known by the masses. If Namco is getting a rep, it will most likely be Pacman, as he is pretty much known by nearly everyone. Pacman, Sonic, Megaman and Mario are the 4 big heads, that you could show to pretty much anyone, and most would have an idea of who at least one or two of them were.

As I said before, its not all good for pacman. Now I have never played any pacman games outside of the orginals, so you fans would have to let me know if his other games were good or not. But I think its very fair to say, Pacman has not done nearly as well as the other three mascots. Its not really his fault, Mario, Sonic and Megaman all started in games about a grand adventure to defeat a major enemy, while Pacman started off in a relatively simple arcade game about eating pellets. Case in point, Pacman hasn't seen quite as many games as the other 3, and certainly hasn't gained the huge amount of rep they have either.

I am not really sure if I am completely for Pacman necessarily, but he certainly has a lot going for him. Namco and Nintendo seem to have very good roots, thanks to all the Mario Kart with Pacman racing games, and the gamecube pacman. Im certain that if I saw him in the game and they showed how his moves would work, I would probably grow to enjoy him, if not simply for the fact that we would have 4 of most well known game mascots smashing it out. His chances are high, but there is definitely no reason to say he is 100% guaranteed.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990

That's my biggest issue with playable Pac-Man, although a classic Pac-Man moveset is also possible.

I can definitely see the Special Flag being the only Namco representation this game gets though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Pac-Man NES and Gameboy
Ms Pac-Man NES and Gameboy
Pac-Man 2 SNES
Pac-Attack SNES
Pac-In-Time SNES
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness N64
Pac-Man World GBA
Pac-Man World 2 GBA and Game Cube (The game cube version came with the Pac-Man game Miyamoto made)
Pac-Man World 3 Game Cube
Pac-Man Fever Game Cube
Pac-Man Vs. Game Cube game Developed by Miyamoto. Mario appears as an announcer
Mario Kart GP Has a good portion of Pac-Man characters for Namco reps.
Mario Kart GP 2 Pac-Man returns for this game.

NOTE: I didn't list all of the Pac-Man games on Nintendo systems, and two Nintendo arcade games. i'm just making the comparison.

Metal Gear NES
Metal Gear 2 NES
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel Gameboy Color
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes Game Cube
Metal Gear Solid 3D 3DS

This is the entire library of Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems.
Keep in mind that the Metal Gear franchise has significantly less games than most major franchises. Having Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, and MGS3 means that about half of the games in the Metal Gear series have been released on Nintendo systems. (since the ones that haven't are MGS2, MGS4, Peace Walker, MGSV, and Revengeance)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that the Metal Gear franchise has significantly less games than most major franchises. Having Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, and MGS3 means that about half of the games in the Metal Gear series have been released on Nintendo systems. (since the ones that haven't are MGS2, MGS4, Peace Walker, MGSV, and Revengeance)
Of course. I'm just making a comparison to stop a misconception.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Only reason I hated the idea of Pac-Man was that they were going to use his terrible, non-iconic, revolting Ghostly Adventures design, but he's the memorable, remembered, retro-looking Pac-Man World design! GREAT, I SAY, GREAT!

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
This is a good day. He was the most deserving third party left.

Now we just need Simon Belmont and life will be complete. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom