• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechakoopa Glide-toss Down & Landing F-air (+Footstool w/ side-b)

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
I made two little videos that demonstrates 2 useful techs that i barely see being used or talked about. Also while labbing some of this i found a some-what consistent way of getting a footstool out of side-b at any % (see near bottom of post)

Jump Cancelled Glide-Toss (JCGT)

Explanation:
-have a mechakoopa in hand
-hold forwards
-press jump (i have Z set to jump) and immediately press c-stick down

My smash corner's explantion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_vOtY5kCc

Combo/Uses:
Depending on the %s, weight-class, DI, rage you can combo a JCGT mechakoopa into:
  • Dashattack (low %)
  • upsmash (0-low %)
  • Fair (low-higher %)
  • Nair (low-mid %)
  • Dair (low %)
  • Uair (mid %)
  • RAR Bair (mid-high %) double jump at higher percents (possible kill near ledge *needs more testing)
  • FH double Nair (low-percents)

At low percents aerials like fair can string into uptilts (depending on hurtboxes) then upairs.
As shown in the video, you can pick up the mk with dair then hit opponent to glide toss

Ive seen tweek use mk-glidetoss into fair to a double jump read with up-b in this montage

Landing Fair

The hitbox of fair that comes out when landing has a set/fixed knockback, so you can follow up into various things at any percents (0-999%).

TIP 1: an easy way to get the timing down is: short hop airdodge then buffer a fair
TIP 2: i wouldnt suggest just throwing this out in neutral, or relying on this as a main combo starter. Use this tech more as a punish from the air when you find an opening

if spaced correctly, it can combo into:
  • grab frame 12-13 (good option at ledge, back throw if they're at kill %)
  • Utilt 8% -(Recommended at low percents to get strings/combos, if used at higher % you can up-b and read airdodges or beat out counter attacks) frame 7
  • Dtilt 10% frame 4
  • Ftilt 10% frame 7
  • Jab 22% frame 4
  • Up Smash 15% (reliable kill confirm) frame 10

landing fair can also potentially combo into:
  • -F Smash 18% frame 18
  • -D Smash 20% frame 15
  • Reverse Side-B 7% * frame 20
from my experience opponents can get out of the smash attacks if they time a fast aerial like nair or perfect shield
i havent tested dash attack much

*i recently just discovered landing fair -> reverse sideB but i think its possible to jump/nair/perfect-shield/jab before the hitbox of the kart comes out but it has some very neat uses. EDIT: this doesnt work on floaties/lightweights

• Bair
  • Up-b
  • Footstool
After a little bit of labbing i found a way of setting up a footstool.
Landing fair -> reverse side-B -> double tap jump

I havent done much testing so far, but you could possibly fastfall nair to jab-lock

im sorry if anyone discovered this before me, but imma name this tech after myself and call it the "aMac" setup! lol i had to

Hopefully this helps some of you add some stuff to your koopaling game! Keep labbing, the game is young and BJ has alot of undiscovered potential

BONUS: this isnt a real infinite but it looks funny and it would be cool as hell if this actually worked

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I will be completely honest, with all my labbing with Jr I have never discovered Landing FAir -> Reverse SideB to Footstool!

now if we can find a reliable follow up on Footstool like UpB, Mechakoopa drop or Jablock and we have a tricky but a great kill setup

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I will be completely honest, with all my labbing with Jr I have never discovered Landing FAir -> Reverse SideB to Footstool!

now if we can find a reliable follow up on Footstool like UpB, Mechakoopa drop or Jablock and we have a tricky but a great kill setup
Jr jumps too high after footstool so it can only be up B as soon as possible.

Also, l think F tilt is the optimum follow up after landing fair since it could be angled and comes out faster than smashes and side B.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Jr jumps too high after footstool so it can only be up B as soon as possible.

Also, l think F tilt is the optimum follow up after landing fair since it could be angled and comes out faster than smashes and side B.
Unless you have a koopa in your hand that is

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
Not to rain on your parade aMac, but I discovered both of the things from the last two vids about 5 months ago. unfortunately, I tested the first one with some real people and its not a true combo. Here is how the tech works and explained a little better, you can footstool any enemy at any percent depending on their height. characters like pikachu and g&w can actually by side-b to footstooled at any percent, almost all other characters have to be in the landing or crouching position, a position that sets them lower than normal. This is what happens when the last hit of fair happens and the opponent hits the ground.

I discovered this way back when and showed it to tweek, hopefully looking for infinates, just like the one in your vid, and some with jab resets with falling nair. Unfortunately, not of this works. What does work is the fact that you can jablock and opponent and then side-b footstool them because they are in the crouching position. Up-b cancels momentum, so pressed fast enough should combo and stuff. you can also instantly footstool up-b combo out of a mecha drop if it is dropped right infront of the opponent while facing the opposite direction of the opponent. This is however frame perfect

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
Not to rain on your parade aMac, but I discovered both of the things from the last two vids about 5 months ago. unfortunately, I tested the first one with some real people and its not a true combo. Here is how the tech works and explained a little better, you can footstool any enemy at any percent depending on their height. characters like pikachu and g&w can actually by side-b to footstooled at any percent, almost all other characters have to be in the landing or crouching position, a position that sets them lower than normal. This is what happens when the last hit of fair happens and the opponent hits the ground.

I discovered this way back when and showed it to tweek, hopefully looking for infinates, just like the one in your vid, and some with jab resets with falling nair. Unfortunately, not of this works. What does work is the fact that you can jablock and opponent and then side-b footstool them because they are in the crouching position. Up-b cancels momentum, so pressed fast enough should combo and stuff. you can also instantly footstool up-b combo out of a mecha drop if it is dropped right infront of the opponent while facing the opposite direction of the opponent. This is however frame perfect
So do you think bowser jr has good infinite potential in doubles? like have your teammate do the jab lock after each footstool

Top Bottom