• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me vs "Them"

NoodIes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noodled
I've almost been playing for an entire year but it seems, even after switching to Fox, learning fundamentals, learning tech, and returning to a scheduled tournament list, it seems I can't beat the people who have 8-10 years competitive experience, and even don't have to practice anymore. In fact, even the lower level players have been able to defeat me in tournament play.

Some things I could possibly work on are mentality (I set myself up for a loss by getting shaky and nervous and also saying "Oh great, I have to fight this person he's [3rd] in our state!) instead of saying, okay, so I'm going to beat this Marth because I trained against a Marth all week.
I also could benefit from drinking more water aside from sodas during play...but that's just simple stuff.

Sure, I could practice all day/week/month with Fox, but that 7 year old Samus who's been through it all will get me...

I'm just looking for advice to stop that.

Thanks!

Having 1 year of experience and hoping to beat players with 8-10 years of experience is asking for a lot. Don't expect to beat them so soon. They don't have to practice anymore to be able to beat you because of the sheer experience they have against you. Skill in fighting games doesn't disappear quickly if it's not practiced

Just keep playing in competitive settings where pride and money are on the line with people watching. You'll get used to it. Focus on playing the game and strategies you can do. Don't think about winning/losing, especially not the results of winning/losing

Sugar will slow you down. Water is a good beverage to drink during a tournament

NoodIes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noodled
Having 1 year of experience and hoping to beat players with 8-10 years of experience is asking for a lot. Don't expect to beat them so soon. They don't have to practice anymore to be able to beat you because of the sheer experience they have against you. Skill in fighting games doesn't disappear quickly if it's not practiced

Just keep playing in competitive settings where pride and money are on the line with people watching. You'll get used to it. Focus on playing the game and strategies you can do. Don't think about winning/losing, especially not the results of winning/losing

Sugar will slow you down. Water is a good beverage to drink during a tournament
Thank you

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You're probably not going to beat players that are better than you, and once a player is sufficiently better than you then you have no chance of beating them at all. If you want to be able to beat a player, or to improve your chances of beating them, then you have to get better. If you've only been playing for a year then you won't be very good, so there will be many players who are better than you.

Find out what parts of your game need improving, and then improve them.

Sure, I could practice all day/week/month with Fox, but that 7 year old Samus who's been through it all will get me...
The practice isn't futile; it's just not enough to beat them yet. Even if you lose regardless, you can be sure that you are better after the month of practice than you would be without it.

Years of experience isn't a direct indicator of skill. One year of experience in 2003 is worth far less than one year of experience in 2015; because in 2015 the meta is far more developed, the general skill level is much higher, and there are many more resources to learn from. You can improve faster than the older players could at the time, and to a higher peak level.

As for what you should eat and drink during a tournament: experiment and find whatever works for you. You can't go wrong with water. In my case, if possible I always take water (refillable), fruit juice (1L), and some sort of high-carbohydrate snack such as cereal bars to tournaments. I avoid energy drinks, and carbonated drinks in general; fruit juice also provides energy, without making me feel as bad.

Last edited:

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
talk to people who beat you and ask them for observations and advice. very few people can really understand or even recognize situations after seeing them once or twice, which is a major advantage that years playing grants: those players haev seen these situations and interactions and habits hundreds or thousands of times and definitely are capable of recognizing and understanding and responding to them. most people don't mind imparting some of that knowledge.

D

Deleted member

1 year experience vs 8-9 years experience hmmmmmmmmmm.

Top Bottom