• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
no they arn't that's what my program used to do
change the bytes according to location
but when i tried it with 2 different models it came up with 2 different things

EDIT: ZOMG i got my program to work
im putting the finishing touches now

EDIT: ok so i got the editing to work but when java writes the file it still adds the 3F's no matter wat i try and the 3F's replace different number bits so really have no idea how to fix it

BUT if anyone can find a simple exe or bat file that converts a txt file with hex numbers in it to regular ASCII (like if u open the .brres with notepad) then i can incporperate that into the package with my program which then allows it to work
Sounds great. Is that exe ds22 found useful to you or not?

And ds22, sent ya a pm.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
no the exe isn't wat i wanted
i want like a batch file to convert hexadecimal to ASCII

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
well i need a self executable
which means is that i can convert the txt file that is full of hex numbers directly into characters to make the models work..
the only reason i need that is because eclipse doesn't recognize this character which it turns into ?'s making the hex format 3F
and i need it to be what it was when i got it
and i dont think there's a way to hex edit the files directly with java unless u import it and make it a string and change the numbers in it which also results in the 3F's
i need someone that programs to give me some insight

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
So wait,(lol random appearance) if you do somehow find a self executable, this whole "getting models into brawl" mystery will finally be solved?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> Theres no Mewtwo in Pokepark, is there?

<_< I feel like trying to see whats inside PBR, but I don't feel like tracking it down.
-DD

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
So wait,(lol random appearance) if you do somehow find a self executable, this whole "getting models into brawl" mystery will finally be solved?
No, the program just automatically converts any MDL0 to BrawlBox's format, meaning a very lengthy preliminary step would be automated, giving everyone more time to get cracking on the real deal.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
the exe has a gui attatched and requires user input
if anyone can get a batch file to do that i would be happy
the exe is also a trial for 30 days
and im not evens sure it works for Strings so long

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
it needs to convert hexadecimal values to notepad values
im not sure wat kind of character encoding notepad uses
but i think that character that gives java a problem is the "no break space" character
which it can't recognize making it a '?' which is 3F in hex
so if u can make a command line converter that would be great!

Ive been playing No More Heroes 2, and I gotta say, Travis Touchdown for Brawl is really starting to look good.

So I took a gander inside the iso. The music is, of course, in BRSTM format. However, most of the other formats are GM2, RSL and BIN. Is anybody familiar with any of these?

D

Deleted member

-deleted message-

Last edited by a moderator:

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Ive been playing No More Heroes 2, and I gotta say, Travis Touchdown for Brawl is really starting to look good.

So I took a gander inside the iso. The music is, of course, in BRSTM format. However, most of the other formats are GM2, RSL and BIN. Is anybody familiar with any of these?
those are just compressed packs of other files, I think

also, did you find any suspicious file names or folders? I'm really curious if there's more to that game than we've found. no secret boss battle or ending would just seem to be too big of a troll, even by suda51 standards.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
After following Apocolypse3000's tutorial for TvC models. I finally got Klonoa's models to show up! Also, when I opened them I noticed that Klonoa's 2 main textures were missing from his default costume. Luckily thanks to GrandMasterJimmy, I was able to insert the textures that the model needed and I just needed to name them to the right name. Then they showed up. I also highlighted the polygons and textures I turned off to make Klonoa look better, at first he was all white and blue and his eyes were closed.

I hope you enjoy these. Here are the hexed files with the missing textures inserted.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R6DKXU7O

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
Sad to say this but i was wrong. fire emblem path of radiance does NOT use .mdl0 format.
(-_-')
my bad. What i was thinking of was that it uses .bins, ,.bstrm, and .thp (cutscene files). idk i guess i mustve subconciously assumed it had mdl0 as well. (i could have sworn...*shrugs*)

o yeah, no luck on any of my other gamecube games (melee, assult, DK jungle beat) i didnt check NBA live tho. lol. i dont think its worth the time. I'll post again when i have something so i dont clutter this thread with failed attempts.

(btw i 100% confirmed that new super mario brothers wii uses .mdl0)

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Marrok, wouldya mind checking FE: Radiant Dawn for Mdl0 file types too? I want to play as the Black knight sooooo badly.

D

Deleted member

-deleted message-

Last edited by a moderator:

Baro

Smash Journeyman
As you guys might now, 8ing uses the fpack format in their games. it makes it pretty rough to open up, and we don't even know how to reverse it into the original format yet, so edits in their games seems to be impossible.

well....

in their naruto series, they've cut some series corners everywhere. they even got lazy to the point where not only are the fpacks of the files on the disc, but the originals too. but this is where it blows my mind...

THEY LEFT THE BATCH FILE THAT THEY USE TO MAKE FPACKS ON THE DISC. what the hell.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I was just failing at renaming Klonoa's bones to fit in with Brawl's format and I came to the conclusion that he doesn't seem to have XRotN, YRotN or ThrowN bones, so he distorts when using someone else's animations. :/

ds22

Smash Lord
As you guys might now, 8ing uses the fpack format in their games. it makes it pretty rough to open up, and we don't even know how to reverse it into the original format yet, so edits in their games seems to be impossible.

well....

in their naruto series, they've cut some series corners everywhere. they even got lazy to the point where not only are the fpacks of the files on the disc, but the originals too. but this is where it blows my mind...

THEY LEFT THE BATCH FILE THAT THEY USE TO MAKE FPACKS ON THE DISC. what the hell.
I saw the same thing.
Funny fact, the programmers used the drive letter P.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
I saw the same thing.
Funny fact, the programmers used the drive letter P.
also, they kept in THE DEBUG MODE. sadly, I can't find a way to access it yet. have you tried?

we could totally modify the batch files a little bit and put other MDL0 files into fpks and maybe even back into TvC. Thanks to their laziness, we could be one step closer to texture hacks in TvC. Someone's already made a program to open TvC fpks, so we just have to do the reverse.

Also, did you check out the unused character models? I couldn't get the hex edit stuff to work...

ds22

Smash Lord
Sadly, I also don't know how to access the Debug Mode.
As for the Batch files,
There so many. 0_0
I don't know which does what (do I have a idea about some).
About the unused character models, look at this one:

It was in the Ino folder called 0100.brres and had different texture names, less bones and two sets of eyes (which were the same).
The 0000.brres was just a plain normal Ninja.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, I also don't know how to access the Debug Mode.
As for the Batch files,
There so many. 0_0
I don't know which does what (do I have a idea about some).
About the unused character models, look at this one:

It was in the Ino folder called 0100.brres and had different texture names, less bones and two sets of eyes (which were the same).
The 0000.brres was just a plain normal Ninja.
That's.... awesome XD

Did you see the test kakashi? I really wish I could see what his moves were like... but I don't think we could do that until we put him into an fpk.

The filesize of the game is twice as big as it needs to be. It's hilarious. All of the folders that contain the characters and stages in NOT fpack form were just used during development. The used the batches, they got put into the fpack folder, and those are the files the game's code uses. they cut so many corners that I want to punch something. at least with the .bat they left behind, there's a chance of making test kakashi (or as I call him, Tesuto, because that is what it says on his headband) or rogue ninja playable. heck, we could throw in some ryujinki models or Revolution 2 movesets, too. with all the backwards compatibility between the games and using the same engine, why has nobody done that sort of thing? you or I need to get started on that XD

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm kinda stuck here. I've changed all the headers that need to be changed around for a model (MDL0 header, materials header, and polygons header), and it still refuses to work in-game for any of the things I tried (as a stage, they weren't even there, and it crashes the same way it did for Moonview Highway -- pausing or using specific characters). So, I've added how to make a model able to be exported using Pharrox's AiS (v0.1.1, not v0.1.3) to the first post, because it's some progress, at least.

There's something else that needs to be done to make the game not crash when loading the models...

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm kinda stuck here. I've changed all the headers that need to be changed around for a model (MDL0 header, materials header, and polygons header), and it still refuses to work in-game for any of the things I tried (as a stage, they weren't even there, and it crashes the same way it did for Moonview Highway -- pausing or using specific characters). So, I've added how to make a model able to be exported using Pharrox's AiS (v0.1.1, not v0.1.3) to the first post, because it's some progress, at least.

There's something else that needs to be done to make the game not crash when loading the models...
Is it just something that all of the brawl models have in common that other models don't?

Maybe it might require a new Ocarina code entirely. Do you have a WiiRD? What goes on in Brawl's inner workings while a model is being loaded?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Is it just something that all of the brawl models have in common that other models don't?

Maybe it might require a new Ocarina code entirely. Do you have a WiiRD? What goes on in Brawl's inner workings while a model is being loaded?
Probably, but I don't have a WiiRD (USB Gecko?) to do any sort of debugging, so that's out of the question... for me, anyway. If someone else has one, they could try it out.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
Marrok, wouldya mind checking FE: Radiant Dawn for Mdl0 file types too? I want to play as the Black knight sooooo badly.
sry dude. no such luck. (omg i needz mah Shinon Zihark and...well EVERYONE. gahhh!) believe me im a HUGE FE fan and I definitly feel you're pain.

buttt

*** far as the black knight goes, I think I might be able to help you out. PM me if ur interested. ill explain how there

Top Bottom