• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

Chaos0419

Smash Apprentice
Just my two cents...

I didn't want NJ/NY and MD/VA to split up, because they're both part of Atlantic North. Together, it forms a crew that will give the other ones lots of trouble.

For some reason, and I don't care what the reason is, or who's to blame, some people can't get along, and because of this, the split should take place. Everyone needs to be on the same page, and I just don't see that happening with people like Chu and Inui not agreeing on anytihng.

So, since we are splitting, I suggest that Chu should be the Captain, with Candy and Neo providing input. Chu should be Captain because:

-he's been playing Brawl since it first came out
-he hasn't taken any breaks like other top players
-he's extremely consistent in both teams and singles
-attends almost every tournament (which goes along with him not taking any breaks)
-he's very smart and knows plenty about match-ups

My top 10 for crews would include, in no order:

1.) Candy (I think he's playing as well as anyone in MD/VA)
2.) Neo (places well at almost every tourney)
3.) Chu (consistent, top player, maybe the most consistent top player of this crew, would be excellent as coach)
4.) Omni (was great before he stopped playing, and will be great again when he starts again; a month should be plenty of time for him to get back in shape)
5.) Chillin (even though he hates the game, whenever he makes his "1 day" comebacks, he always places well)
6.) Azen (same with Omni and Chillin, has natural talent, very smart, and very capable of being the Azen of old)
7.) Junebug (probably the most improved player and keeps getting better, keeps beating a lot of top players)
8.) G-reg (yeah he's been out of the scene lately/hasn't beaten anyone, but he and Candy have the top two Snakes in MD/VA and that hasn't changed)
9.) Boss (when he actually WANTS to play, he's pretty hard to beat)
10.) Sanoscy (adds another MK to the mix and he ALWAYS places well)

Two players which I like personally, but not for this crew, are Meep and P~S. Ice Climbers are great to have, but I've seen him mess up the chain grab a lot. If he has an off day at Pound 4, then having Ice Climbers with no consistent chain grab does more harm than good. And P~S always struggles against out of state players. Yes, Pound 4 is on our turf, but in this crew battle you're still playing against out of state players.

Either way, regardless of what kind of crew we have, I will obviously cheer for us to win.

Again, this is just my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

And if anyone wants to discuss anything with me, I'm fine with that. Just don't come at me the wrong way because I have zero patience for internet thugs.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I don't want to be any part of this

I will help inui's team, whoever that is
Aww, don't be like that guy.

I thought you were my guy, guy? What's up guy? C'mon guy. C'maaawn.

It's one thing to disagree with us, but to straight up just go to NY/NJ and abandon your hometown? Tsk, tsk.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
It's to prove a point

I'm still helping atlantic north, the crew originally assigned to me

But if you all think coaching means nothing, I'd be glad to completely prove you wrong by coaching the other team

ChuDat

Smash Master
i think its selfish that we split from atlantic north when everyone else consists of huge, set groupings of states.

and we're splitting just to prove somethin. we aint provin nothin except our pride.

thats why i think we shouldn't have split, but i bet everyone has cons for the anti-split argument as well. idk, i just thought it was wrong.
It's not selfish. We are just balancing out the odds of everyone winning. Tell me why do you think MD/VA should join together with Tri-State? The east coast will win, no surprises there. The only challenge I see happening is from the South. Even then, our players far outrank their players.

Compare - C018, Dojo, Gnes, Lee Martin, Razer, Seibrik (ASSUMING they all go) against Atomsk, Anti, NEO, Ksizzle, Ally, ADHD.

East Coast definitely outmatches the South by far. Midwest only has Mew2king, Anther, and Lain. Cali, LOLZ. Jk Cali, but I honestly don't think u guys would be able to take the EC.

Instead of wasting time delaying the tournament for Atlantic North to inevitably win crews, we might as well not have them and use the time to finish the tournament.

Either split MD/VA and Tri-state to create competition/hype, or save everyone the time.

This is my opinion anyway.

I don't know why MD/VA expects to win against oh say, the South. CO18, Dojo, GNES, Lee Martin, Razer, Seibrik.... those 6 alone are always top 3 and have never quit nor taken a break and we are banking on bringing back Azen and Chillin to give us some sort of edge? It's like 20/80 chance we win. I am still against the split but I'll help MD/VA with a good strategy if we do.
Do you honestly think we are outmatched by the south? Do you forget who our Top 8 players are? IMO, the weakest of our crew would probably be Junebug and we all know he is amazing at this game. That's saying something.

Have some pride/faith in MD/VA man.

Okay, I will.

I do not think a split should happen. I do not think this because....one, we are good enough as a region (In my opinion) to do damage. Two, splitting would do what? Other than making it much, much easier it would only say that MD/VA needs NY/NJ to do anything.
QFT!

As for other suggestions, IE Chu's idea to be captain and Candy/PS/Neo be co-captains, I just don't see how it would work; no offense towards them of course, but I feel as though it might split their attention in a negative matter. I know that I for one would get mind****ed if I were to try and coach AND play at the same time (This has happened before when I played Halo, and any sport.)

Now for why I think Tant should coach and/or be the captain of an MD/VA crew is this: One, he knows weaknesses of a lot of players and regions. Two, he's just an all-around smart dude. Three, all the players in said crew can just focus on their matches.

So yeah, that's it. I'm sorry if it sucks....but it's just my two-cents.
We've been doing this for a long time, kid. Trust us.

We want Tant to gather all the information for us. He's the "stat man". The pros will be doing all the mind gaming. Mind games coming from the Pros of MD/VA combined with the combined efforts of statistics from Tants group is what's going to win this crew battle.

We're not just cocky and stupid, you know.

Finally, some people speak up!

Anyways, I've been really quiet about this issue the past couple days. People still have this old mindset of disregarding new players and their talents.

Chu didn't even want June on the team until Candy vouched for him...instead he proposed G-reg...

G-reg and Chillin? Come on guys, this isn't 08 anymore. G-reg and Chillin are great players, but Really? How many times does sanoscy have to place top 5 to be recognized? How many times does Takeover have to beat yet another good player to make an impact? How many top players in the entire region can june add to his win list and still not get credit?

Chillin and G-reg and Azen and others were great in their time. To ask them to A. Come back and get back serious into brawl and B. become amazing again in a month is literally too much to ask of anyone. Even though they have natural talent. Chu said I was being biased, but he's the one with favortism here.

The whole crew battle thing is depressing. I don't want to help anyone who's prideful as **** and just wants to beat Inui.

I'd rather see us come in full force and dominate. As a true coach, I prefer whatever option gives us the best chance to win. I like a lot of non-Md/VA Atl. North. I'm friends with almost the entire NJ/NY region. The original idea of having Inui and I as co-captains is a great idea. This brings our region together in new amazing ways and gives us all an amazing chance at winning.

The top players still insist they don't need coaching and don't need a strategy, their strategies are so simple and WILL be countered. I'd have to write an essay on explaining why.

Come on now guys...
Tant, stop living in the past. You and EE were right. June deserves a spot on the list. That's why we have these discussions. Lets move on.

I am just giving the best option that we have to win this crew battle. I'm sorry, but we can't win with power ranked players who are ranked 10 and below. This is a CREW BATTLE, not who we think is the best in MD/VA. If we throw Takeover out there, he will get destroyed because he is still a new player. Sanoscy is fairly new as well, but has proven himself by beating Ninjalink. We have to look at this in different perspectives, not just stats.

Azen and Chillin are still Azen and Chillin. They are smart players that are definitely going to benefit this crew (If they get put on). If you didn't know, Brawl doesn't take that much time to get good at. Once they agree to be put on the crew, the hyperbolic time chamber training will commence.

Omni

BRoomer
C'mon, guy. It's me, Omni. I think you just need to calm down and eat Chipotle with me and talk it out.

I'll be completely honest with you; I wouldn't mind at all if both you and Chu were captains or co-captains or whatever. A good amount of people believe in Chu and a good amount of people support you. I don't see it being a problem at all.

Do you?

ChuDat

Smash Master
It's to prove a point

I'm still helping atlantic north, the crew originally assigned to me

But if you all think coaching means nothing, I'd be glad to completely prove you wrong by coaching the other team
I'm sorry man about how you feel.

Honestly, I don't think you have enough evidence to back up your beleif. You say you know match-ups and you say you know player habits, but you don't have any evidence to prove it. Maybe if you had previously coached a team before and did amazing, then you could say you would be an ideal coach. We would then change our minds and beleive you.

Please reconsider your decision. You are active and you create great discussion with other peers, we really could use that information.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
We need to split,

and here's why:

when have you ever heard someone say:

Go MD/VA/NJ/NY!!!?

NEVER

It's always go MD/VA, or go NJ or go NY

Atlantic North may be where we all live but it doesn't mean were all friends
MD/VA is a true region we hang out with each other we have fun. We actually KNOW eachother.

Moral is VERY VERY Important when it comes to competing with a team. If you know and like every one on your team you'll WANT your team to win. You'll have passion for it. It's not the end all, but it will make team with good skill beat a team with Great Skill.

If we have big names from these four states there will be people who don't like each other on the same team. If someone I really didn't like was on my team. I WOULDN'T want to win for them.

Also we would have the LARGEST cheering squad because each person from our region would be cheering for each person on our team. It really helps.(remember Candy vs. Dojo) It makes the other person's moral suffer.

That's one reason I think that maybe Boss shouldn't be on. He has the skill to be on it, but does he have the passion? He always says he doesn't care and will a lose a tourney set(basically on purpose) because he was sand bagging. So Boss, my question to you is, Do you care enough to do your best?

@Chaos: I disagree with you a lot. The fact that you put 2 of our top 3 out of the of crew just suprises me a lot!

ChuDat

Smash Master
Just my two cents...

I didn't want NJ/NY and MD/VA to split up, because they're both part of Atlantic North. Together, it forms a crew that will give the other ones lots of trouble.

For some reason, and I don't care what the reason is, or who's to blame, some people can't get along, and because of this, the split should take place. Everyone needs to be on the same page, and I just don't see that happening with people like Chu and Inui not agreeing on anytihng.

So, since we are splitting, I suggest that Chu should be the Capatin, with Candy and Neo providing input. Chu should be Captain because:

-he's been playing Brawl since it first came out
-he hasn't taken any breaks like other top players
-he's extremely consistent in both teams and singles
-attends almost every tournament (which goes along with him not taking any breaks)
-he's very smart and knows plenty about match-ups

My top 10 for crews would include, in no order:

1.) Candy (I think he's playing as well as anyone in MD/VA)
2.) Neo (places well at almost every tourney)
3.) Chu (consistent, top player, maybe the most consistent top player of this crew, would be excellent as coach)
4.) Omni (was great before he stopped playing, and will be great again when he starts again; a month should be plenty of time for him to get back in shape)
5.) Chillin (even though he hates the game, whenever he makes his "1 day" comebacks, he always places well)
6.) Azen (same with Omni and Chillin, has natural talent, very smart, and very capable of being the Azen of old)
7.) Junebug (probably the most improved player and keeps getting better, keeps beating a lot of top players)
8.) G-reg (yeah he's been out of the scene lately/hasn't beaten anyone, but he and Candy have the top two Snakes in MD/VA and that hasn't changed)
9.) Boss (when he actually WANTS to play, he's pretty hard to beat)
10.) Sanoscy (adds another MK to the mix and he ALWAYS places well)

Two players which I like personally, but not for this crew, are Meep and P~S. Ice Climbers are great to have, but I've seen him mess up the chain grab a lot. If he has an off day at Pound 4, then having Ice Climbers with no consistent chain grab does more harm than good. And P~S always struggles against out of state players. Yes, Pound 4 is on our turf, but in this crew battle you're still playing against out of state players.

Either way, regardless of what kind of crew we have, I will obviously cheer for us to win.

Again, this is just my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

And if anyone wants to discuss anything with me, I'm fine with that. Just don't come at me the wrong way because I have zero patience for internet thugs.
I 100% agree with this, for obvious reasons :chuckle:.

Except, P~S and Meep are definitely going to be on the crew. G-reg and Sano are good choices, but I think that P~S and Meep exceed them in skill by a large amount.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Tant just cheer on you region and trash talk other regions. You do not need the title "coach" to help your region.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
^ This.

As much as I wish the split wouldn't be happening (was neutral until someone else convinced me)...well...too late now I guess.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Chu- Yep, Takeover sure got destroyed when he went out of state to PA, and when he went out of state to NJ, and he even gets destroyed in VA too! 5th out of 60, 4th out of 15, and 7th out of 65 is pretty much destruction! Oh yeah, in MD, he got 5th out of 50 too! He got destroyed by neo on the third game! Yeah, he's gonna get destroyed like he did in that crew battle he took 9 stocks in!

Sanoscy has never gone out of state, and I could see why he might crack under pressure. Even though he beat Ninjalink, took atomsk to game 3, and M2K to last stock, I wouldn't expect those to be such great achievements compared to chillindude829 2 stocking atomsk's ddd with falco, etc. Since he's metaknight, everyone knows that matchup and he would get ***** by the entire region, you're right.

Omni- Lets have some chipotle sometime, i'm down, that would be a good time, I'll come over to a cooterfest sometime soon

Anyways, Sarcasm aside, I'm bored of this sillyness

I want to support atlantic north. Whatever crew that is now.

Omni

BRoomer
Lol, no offense, but Takeover didn't place Top 3 in any of the things you mentioned. Pretty sure everyone on our list has taken 1st place on multiple occasions.

Chaos0419

Smash Apprentice
@Chaos: I disagree with you a lot. The fact that you put 2 of our top 3 out of the of crew just suprises me a lot!
Well, in my opinion, I don't think Meep and P~S represent two of our top three players. I believe Candy, Chu, and Neo are our top three players and now that Omni's coming back, then they would be the top four.

If we're doing crews within MD/VA, like Cooters vs H2YL vs Originals, for example, then yes... they deserve to be in it.

But again, P~S doesn't struggle against MD/VA players, he struggles against out of state players, and that's a fact. It's a fact that hasn't changed. Are you telling me that he's going to overcome this by Pound 4? If so, I hope you're right.

And the thing with Meep is that I've seen him struggle with his Chain Grab, so wondering if he will struggle with it at Pound 4 isn't crazy. When he was in crews at Apex (and yes, that was a while ago, but this is just an example), he should've taken more stocks off the other team than he did. He grabbed his opponent, then messed up. Yeah, he's gotten better. But my point is, if he's having an off day, how good are Ice Climbers without the Chain Grab?

I respect both players though, and hope they do well.

Deez.

Smash Lord
I'm sorry man about how you feel.

Honestly, I don't think you have enough evidence to back up your beleif. You say you know match-ups and you say you know player habits, but you don't have any evidence to prove it. Maybe if you had previously coached a team before and did amazing, then you could say you would be an ideal coach. We would then change our minds and beleive you.

Please reconsider your decision. You are active and you create great discussion with other peers, we really could use that information.
I honestly think i should be running in this matte too.. people say im a pretty good coach.. jus sayin I see a lot of stuff fairly easily and fast just ask all the people i coach XD but I mean i dont have to be head coach or anything id be glad to be of some assistance.. if thats ok with you Chu.:chuckle: and i do agree if Azen and Chillin came back and trained before Pound 4 they would be Amazing at the game but they would have to play an awful lot before then and coming to my tourny would be a tremendous help... HYPE!!! and we should do mini crew battles at my tourny we should also assign the crews before they start so people wont b i t c h about whos going to be there last person... I think mixing it up a little wouldnt be bad.. for example

Chu/Azen/Chillin/ Omni would be one crew.
Candy/Boss/PS/Korn would be another crew.
Neo/Hat/SlikVik/Forute could be another crew.
Takeover/Sassy/Coney/23%
June/Sanoscy/Deez/Meep

I would really enjoy seeing this all go down... would be EPIC!
again this is just imo ppl can toss and throw people around to see how they would make it more fair ..

Omni

BRoomer
That wouldn't be epic. That would be ****!

Lol, where's Meep?

Nilik

Smash Cadet
Chu- Yep, Takeover sure got destroyed when he went out of state to PA, and when he went out of state to NJ, and he even gets destroyed in VA too! 5th out of 60, 4th out of 15, and 7th out of 65 is pretty much destruction! Oh yeah, in MD, he got 5th out of 50 too! He got destroyed by neo on the third game! Yeah, he's gonna get destroyed like he did in that crew battle he took 9 stocks in!

Sanoscy has never gone out of state, and I could see why he might crack under pressure. Even though he beat Ninjalink, took atomsk to game 3, and M2K to last stock, I wouldn't expect those to be such great achievements compared to chillindude829 2 stocking atomsk's ddd with falco, etc. Since he's metaknight, everyone knows that matchup and he would get ***** by the entire region, you're right.

Omni- Lets have some chipotle sometime, i'm down, that would be a good time, I'll come over to a cooterfest sometime soon

Anyways, Sarcasm aside, I'm bored of this sillyness

I want to support atlantic north. Whatever crew that is now.

^WRONG! just because sanoscy has never been out of state. doesn't mean he won't do good.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
Well, in my opinion, I don't think Meep and P~S represent two of our top three players. I believe Candy, Chu, and Neo are our top three players and now that Omni's coming back, then they would be the top four.

If we're doing crews within MD/VA, like Cooters vs H2YL vs Originals, for example, then yes... they deserve to be in it.

But again, P~S doesn't struggle against MD/VA players, he struggles against out of state players, and that's a fact. It's a fact that hasn't changed. Are you telling me that he's going to overcome this by Pound 4? If so, I hope you're right.

And the thing with Meep is that I've seen him struggle with his Chain Grab, so wondering if he will struggle with it at Pound 4 isn't crazy. When he was in crews at Apex (and yes, that was a while ago, but this is just an example), he should've taken more stocks off the other team than he did. He grabbed his opponent, then messed up. Yeah, he's gotten better. But my point is, if he's having an off day, how good are Ice Climbers without the Chain Grab?

I respect both players though, and hope they do will.
sorry i got 4th in pa :( and possible would have 2-0'd ally but i tripped and lost to kissizle and atomsk when i went to jersey... dam that 17th looked good. oh, lets not forget my sleep johns, you know how i lsot to slik vk in nj .... when i bat him in md, or when i lost to takeover and radori at a 3am toruny... dude, it is just a lack of sleep issue OOS, and even last time i lost to the dude that won winner finals and arguably NJ's best player >.>

@everyone else
no offense but... azen and chillen wrecked melee, wtf... this is a different era and time... they ar not the best anymore. give them a month to practice... are the rest of us going to take a fcuking break or something as they train? no, got dam it. they are not good enough to be on the crew, and i need to see some serious evidence before i change my mind.

and tbh.. i like chu as a person, but once again... chu led MELEE, this is a different era, some believe in him, some don't... its not liek melee when like everyone did... pass the torch to someone else

@tant
your really going to just turn your back on md/va because of people that i can count on one hand? come on now dude... we're clearly way larger then 5 people and if you do pride yourself in being a coach... hat better way to show it then by bringing 2 STATES opposed to an entire "region" to 1st place?

@the split
yes we should split, for two reasons:
1) obviously i have sooooooooooo much pride and actually think we can win with md/va
2)why are would we be joining atlantic north? to prove we are the best... i'm prett sure that gets accomplished by either md/va, atlantic north, or both areas taking the top 2 spots. if everyone thinks hat atl north will win anyway.. why do we need to help them if it would have the smae result as us bing with them...

hova

Smash Champion
lmao@ people splitting crews because of md/va pride

East Coast has always stuck together when it comes down to crew battles at large tournies. have any of you been to an FC?

East Coast needs to stick together when it comes down to playing against WC, MW, and South. just like USA sticks together anytime Europe or Japan comes around

ya'll really are acting like spoiled little brats and are being completely self absorbed. ya'll are some ***** idiots and can't see past personal needs

also, stop letting Omni randomly show up out of nowhere and convincing you of crap. he doesn't know what's going on, doesn't care about the region, and doesn't care about this game

edit: also don't trust Chu, he'll randomly leave your crew and play for Southwest

ChuDat

Smash Master
@everyone else
no offense but... azen and chillen wrecked melee, wtf... this is a different era and time... they ar not the best anymore. give them a month to practice... are the rest of us going to take a fcuking break or something as they train? no, got dam it. they are not good enough to be on the crew, and i need to see some serious evidence before i change my mind.

and tbh.. i like chu as a person, but once again... chu led MELEE, this is a different era, some believe in him, some don't... its not liek melee when like everyone did... pass the torch to someone else

@the split
yes we should split, for two reasons:
1) obviously i have sooooooooooo much pride and actually think we can win with md/va
2)why are would we be joining atlantic north? to prove we are the best... i'm prett sure that gets accomplished by either md/va, atlantic north, or both areas taking the top 2 spots. if everyone thinks hat atl north will win anyway.. why do we need to help them if it would have the smae result as us bing with them...
Azen and Chillin usually placed 1st and 2nd at every single event up until October 08. They have won more money than even you, P~S. You weren't there at the time so you can't really judge Azen and Chillins skill level. You didn't start getting good until about Summer of 09. Just because you ***** Azen at that mall tournament doesn't mean he sucks. He's just obviously out of practice. You should join an H2YL fest sometime, you will see what I mean.

@the split
HELLZ F****** YEAH, QUOTED FOR MOTHER F******* TRUTH!!!!

Hova said:
lmao@ people splitting crews because of md/va pride

East Coast has always stuck together when it comes down to crew battles at large tournies. have any of you been to an FC?

East Coast needs to stick together when it comes down to playing against WC, MW, and South. just like USA sticks together anytime Europe or Japan comes around

ya'll really are acting like spoiled little brats and are being completely self absorbed. ya'll are some ***** idiots and can't see past personal needs

also, stop letting Omni randomly show up out of nowhere and convincing you of crap. he doesn't know what's going on, doesn't care about the region, and doesn't care about this game

meepxzero

Smash Master
lol every off day ive EVER had was 90% due to lack of sleep. Im not youthful like all you smashers and can play well off of no sleep. I wish i didnt go to kosha boy because you guys planned it out horribly and never got a hotel room. Once you hit around 25ish age you need 8 hrs of sleep a night..

Its kinda unfair to say im inconsistent chaos especially when im playing at a 100% i can beat maybe 98% of the people in brawl and 3 stock 80%. Im pulling these numbers out of my butt lol but watever. Im feeling c0cky lately because im probably cging better now than i ever have before.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
@chu
i can only speak from my expieriences... and i've played azen twice in singles EVER, and the first time i wasn't good his lucario was at last stock like 160, next time i got ***** by his peach, then the next time he gor ***** by me... just pointing out that i would take a lot for me to change my mind because people are indeed biased towards vets. i think thats why "the azen effect" works on people that played melee and not the new comers. and if i'm not mistaken june should have beaten azen at the trouny he won (when me nor candy were there) and the trouny after that he got 5th, i'm just seeing a steady decline

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.

Top Bottom