• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Presents: Marth AT- DS ledge grab

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yes this is for real. MBR has discovered a Marth AT. It's not big but it's applicable in a lot of situations so you'll be using this a lot.

First watch Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWIoYhfVeg&feature=channel

Steel's high quality version, watch after first vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5rifkmIm8

Like what you see? Now the explanation.

How-to: Here's something you should understand before I explain the how-to. A character can not grab the ledge while he has vertical momentum, the only exception to this rule is specials that go upwards and can be auto canceled by a edge grab. Get it now? Marth is able to grab the ledge quickly as he did in the vid because he DS'd right at the edge and thus automatically grabs on. Therefore in order to practice it just do a normal ledge hog and second jump and when Marth is parallel with the edge DS and it should auto regrab. Sounds simple right? Not really. There are a couple of things that you have to keep in mind while you practice.

1: FF'ing the ledge drop does not increase the speed of the AT. In fact it seems to slow it down. It seems that for whatever reason you can not grab on as quickly as you want to with the DS if you FF for the ledge drop. This AT should always be performed with non-FF ledgedrop for maximum invincibility frames.

2: However, you can not immediately ledge drop and do a DS and hope to auto regrab. The indicator for when Marth can regrab the ledge is when Marth starts to go into the spiral motion that you see in his second jump. What I'm saying is that this animation happens very quickly so you can DS fairly quickly after he second jumps, but not that quickly.

3: When you do this on the slope part of the edge like Smashville or Battlefield (the variation towards the end of the vid), Marth must make contact with the slope before you can DS. He can make contact at any point along the slope and he will grab the ledge.

A way to practice this is to perform a proper ledge stall. But as he ascends from the second jump DS when he is slightly under the edge and he will regrab. After you can do it consistently then start to shorten the length of your ledge drop. I understand this explanation is amazing, however after you do it once or twice normally it'll be very simple for you to replicate again.

Applications: There are two obvious ones
1: Edge stall. Want to slow down the pace of the game? Give yourself some time to think and consider your options? That's what this is for. You can also stall out the opponent's invincibility frames after they die but it's not like you want to be on the edge.

2: Use it like Link's zair edge hog. Not proven yet but you seem to have invincibility frames for all of it (or close too it), and also you are grabbing the edge with invincibility frames thanks to the initial frames of the DS.

If you discover any others, posting would be much appreciated.

So now that you know. Practice, try on all the stages, because this works on any stage. There are some very interesting effects on some stages, so experiment and master this. Marth is now invincible on the edge. Enjoy ;)

:Side not: It seems as though others can do this (but not all) however it's the most useful for Marth imo thanks to the invincibility frames while grabbing the edge thanks to DS. And remeber MBR rules you XD lol

Credits: Me, I discovered it
Everybody else in MBR, for saying it was sexy and telling me what to do next :chuckle:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ok, this post was MUCH more informative. Now we actually know what point in Marths double jump you have to be in before you DS. So I've pretty much mastered it now :D

Again, great find 3x.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Nice job 3X. So like you have to drop down, jump, touch the slope, then use DS? Am I gettin it? I'll reread...

Oh ok so that's one variation the other is like wait for the spiral and then use it? Got it.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Don't take the spiral literally. Basically I'm just saying wait a moment for Marth to rise a little bit then DS. As you saw in the vid you can still cancel pretty quickly

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Don't take the spiral literally. Basically I'm just saying wait a moment for Marth to rise a little bit then DS. As you saw in the vid you can still cancel pretty quickly
I know, but it helped me get started. I've gotten to the point where I can do it with almost no vulnerable frames.

cman

Smash Ace
I know, but it helped me get started. I've gotten to the point where I can do it with almost no vulnerable frames.
Oh great. So this thing could potentially be used to stall? Hopefully it won't get banned.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Dude, people better start doing this, this **** *****. Although Im still working on it. xP

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
awesome tech and easy to learn. gonna try it out in a tourney tomorrow.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
This **** won't get banned. But it's still amazing
it... seriously could be.

it makes for the ultimate plank

AIM said:
Emblem Lord: this is a little
Emblem Lord: toooooo good
Emblem Lord: ya know?
Emblem Lord: marth wouldnt even have to think
Emblem Lord: if they go for the ledge
Emblem Lord: thats it
Emblem Lord: they die
Emblem Lord: you could easily force people onto the stage without even thinking
Emblem Lord: now im starting to hate marth
Emblem Lord: i used to have to think
Emblem Lord: this just makes him braindead
Emblem Lord: this is better
Emblem Lord: know why?
Emblem Lord: this is why
Emblem Lord: marth gets a stock lead
Emblem Lord: runs to the edge
Emblem Lord: commence to plank
Emblem Lord: gg

•Col•

Smash Champion
Wouldn't this be considered stalling anyway.....?

This is cool, but.... Boring.... ._.;; Even more boring than MK's planking.... I could see this be banned for stalling, but it can still be useful for edgehogging some characters...

EDIT: Also, I find that it's easier if you have tap jump on (which you probably will anyway with Marth xD). Then you have you just press away from the ledge, push up, then push b right after. Rinse and repeat.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
3x, you're amazing. I just figured out the timing for this. Once I got it down, it got easier and easier every time. I looks like I'm vulnerable for a few frames, but that's probably because I'm not doing it right.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yo Steel I put up your vid.
....Hopefully it won't be banned. I know stalling and planking are banned in most tourneys but I was just thinking about it's legal uses. You know?

Glad everybody is loving it though :)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I want Plank to make Marth his secondary.

Only he knows how to camp right. ^_^

/sarcasm obv

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I think we should test to see how invincible it is to up+b's like Ike's if he spaces it well. Basically, just make sure it's really invincible the whole way through. Also, we should test it to see who can eat through it(if they can at all). ^_^

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Since planking is usually banned this seems mostly useful for a perfect ledge hog. That combined with Marth's superior airiel gimps could be super sexy...

Top Bottom