• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Official Rule Set

Skler

Smash Master
MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts

• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
    2. Entrance and venue fees
    3. Arriving on time
    4. Maintaining personal hygiene
    5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
    6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
  • Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
  • Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
  • No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
  • When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
  • The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
  • Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.
  • The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
  • For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.

TP

Smash Master
Good **** SBR for finally banning MK from Melee tourneys. This really was a necessary step for the advancement of the metagame. There will be many people who are pissed off that you have removed the ability for them to pick MK, but you guys had the balls to do it anyway. Good ****.

:034:

bobson

Smash Lord
This is completely unacceptable. Just because Metaknight has the best wavedash in the game doesn't mean he's unbeatable. I can't believe a group of people I used to respect would make such a horrible decision... even the MBR is full of scrubs now.

Big fan of the "maintaining personal hygiene" clause, though.

D

Deleted member

would change title to MBR Official Rule Set just so we are associated separately from Brawl.

special thanks to XIF The Revolutionary and scar/hax for proposing a radically different rule set (no CPs) to keep our update in line. special thanks to tero for editing, skler for posting the rule set, plank for promoting the stage list for pound 4, and all of our current members for their work and voting participation.

special thanks to kevinM for stickying this ****. HINT HINT.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i dont understand this step:
"Players may ban stages, 1 for each player. Losing player of the preceding match bans a stage, followed by the winning player banning a stage."

why should the loser ban first?

bobson

Smash Lord
I don't see what's wrong with 10 playable characters for singles.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Nice to see this finally posted.

Wobbling should be addressed but other than that, it looks great.

D

Deleted member

wobbling is not mentioned intentionally. if the TO determines it to be stalling, and at what percent, it's already on them to deal with it. if not, then abuse it to your heart's content. again, it needs to be tweaked by the TO. in doing so, the MBR has no stance on wobbling.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I disagree with changing pokemon to a counterpick stage. I feel it isn't one sided enough against characters like peach and falcon (whom I will assume MBR is appeasing with this change) to warrant removal from randoms, especially when stage banning is present. If a player thinks it's "too good" for fox/falco then ban it for your set.

I think falcon/peach players might be more happy to see FoD go to a counterpick stage instead.

That being said, I really like the idea of using this as a base model for TO's to tweak and modify rather than copy and paste. It will make regional tournaments more unique, just like the rules about number of stocks/items did for tournaments a long time ago.

D

Deleted member

the MBR does not care about or consider character . we just decided to go with stage striking, which needs an odd number of stages. so we then had to drop one or add one, and PS is better being dropped than KJ64 is added.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
the MBR does not care about or consider character . we just decided to go with stage striking, which needs an odd number of stages. so we then had to drop one or add one, and PS is better being dropped than KJ64 is added.
I agree.

Why drop Pokemon over FoD?

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
that sounds terrible

the whole point of stage striking is to eliminate using random

also based on the way the random stage selector works, it's exploitable
If both players have eliminated 4 stages, then they have each gotten rid of their two worst stages in the matchup and obviously it is more fair than if there was just straight up randoms.

And in which way is the random stage selector exploitable?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Because the only gripes people have with FoD is wahh i never adjust to the platforms and they ruin my cambos.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Because the only gripes people have with FoD is wahh i never adjust to the platforms and they ruin my cambos.
If we agree that neither Pokemon or FoD is straight up "bannable" and that the decision should be made based on gripes people have, then I think you will find people in general will choose to have Pokemon on random over FoD.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I agree wholeheartedly with Carl. What exactly defines Pokemon Stadium as a cp? "Spacies running wild" isn't exactly a legitimate argument; is it the walls that come into play during the Rock and Fire transformations? I haven't heard many, if not, any people genuinely complain that it's distracting enough to justify it being a counterpick.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
idea: FoD presents randomness greater than that of both Dreamland and Pokémon Stadium. the abuse of Pokemon Stadium's questionable stage transformations is also easily avoidable and doesn't interfere with competitive play.

regardless, this is not a topic to argue about the ruleset, or at least it was not mentioned in the original post. in general i agree with the list.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I agree wholeheartedly with Carl. What exactly defines Pokemon Stadium as a cp? "Spacies running wild" isn't exactly a legitimate argument; is it the walls that come into play during the Rock and Fire transformations? I haven't heard many, if not, any people genuinely complain that it's distracting enough to justify it being a counterpick.
I think you're missing the point. PS was axed only to facilitate stage striking because apparently the majority of MBR or whoever thought it was "more bannable" than any other traditional neutral.

I think that the position on moving Pokemon Stadium to CP is reasonable, though I feel FoD does present more influential yet more subtle random factors. FoD should have been the one to go.

Top Bottom