• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe they should've made everyone unlockable with this method

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Everyone is available from the start in VS mode, single player modes leave the unlockables locked.

This way everyone who wants to unlock characters can do so and everyone who wants to jump right in multiplayer (alongside tournament organizers) would have everyone available from the start.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
The only idea I have heard that is worse than what my son suggested...using 5 or 10 Nintendo shop points to buy the unlock for wanted characters. I mean, I get it...you are itching to jump in as toon link and start jacking up people online...but if you REALLY want everyone unlocked fast as possible, it is only gonna take 2-3 hours with the 1 stock vs 1 CP suicide method...Personally I LIKE the feeling of unlocking things myself. Something most games don't do these days...you either have it all from the start (LAMMMEEEE) or you buy it later -.-

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This is flawed since it goes against the very foundation of what Ultimate is supposed to be about.

First of all, Sakurai stated in E3 that the goal of the new method of unlocks is to feel like you're always recruiting popular (OK not everyone in Smash is popular anymore but whatever) characters on your side. I understand that it's nice to play as your favorites from the get-go, but that ruins the idea of cherishing every new unlock and enjoying them as the come that this game is supposed to be about.

Secondly, the goal of this game, as are most new major first party releases on the Switch, are to go back to their old roots (specifically N64 roots): Odyssey returning to the SM64 platofrming, K:SA combining abilities like K64, Super Mario Party going back to traditional gameplay values, and even BotW exploring the limits of a Zelda game like OOT did. Ultimate is yet another example of re-creating the glory days (I guess "glory days" isn't the best way to put it, but you should get the idea) of the N64: Starting with only the original eight, and unlocking the rest of the fighters as you progress, like you're recruiting soldiers in an army, which is a genius move, considering the new World of Light adventure mode.

And by the way, you made a thread *****ing about character unlocks earlier, so making it again entertains and impresses no one.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Nah that's kinda a lame concept. If all are unlocked in VS, but you have to play to get them in Classic, then what's the point?

They way they are doing it at the moment is fine

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
User was warned for this post; trolling
This is flawed since it goes against the very foundation of what Ultimate is supposed to be about.

First of all, Sakurai stated in E3 that the goal of the new method of unlocks is to feel like you're always recruiting popular (OK not everyone in Smash is popular anymore but whatever) characters on your side. I understand that it's nice to play as your favorites from the get-go, but that ruins the idea of cherishing every new unlock and enjoying them as the come that this game is supposed to be about.

Secondly, the goal of this game, as are most new major first party releases on the Switch, are to go back to their old roots (specifically N64 roots): Odyssey returning to the SM64 platofrming, K:SA combining abilities like K64, Super Mario Party going back to traditional gameplay values, and even BotW exploring the limits of a Zelda game like OOT did. Ultimate is yet another example of re-creating the glory days (I guess "glory days" isn't the best way to put it, but you should get the idea) of the N64: Starting with only the original eight, and unlocking the rest of the fighters as you progress, like you're recruiting soldiers in an army, which is a genius move, considering the new World of Light adventure mode.

And by the way, you made a thread *****ing about character unlocks earlier, so making it again entertains and impresses no one.
Probably safe to say that just about any thread made by this person is bound to just end up the same as previous ones I've seen

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sure that'd be nice considering I don't give a flying **** about unlocking characters or playing fighting game singleplayer modes.

But like, Sakurai won't do it because everyone including him loves that shallow feeling of getting something that they already have.

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
this makes no sense. isnt the point of unlocking characters is for you to play them in versus? i get that the single player modes are worth playing alone but still there wouldnt be any point.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Probably safe to say that just about any thread made by this person is bound to just end up the same as previous ones I've seen
I understand, but it's fun to counter the OP when they're argument is ridiculous and they have a history of doing so. These threads have kind of ended up as an inside joke among users, just sniping at the OP for the ridiculous (and often trollish) things they post.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I understand, but it's fun to counter the OP when they're argument is ridiculous and they have a history of doing so. These threads have kind of ended up as an inside joke among users, just sniping at the OP for the ridiculous (and often trollish) things they post.
It might be a bit presumptuous of me, but I feel like you can guess the age range of people who slam their faces against the wall and cry/rage when they have to put ANY work into unlocking stuff, vs those who get enjoyment out of unlocking things and feeling those minor, but feel good accomplishments. Like, Mogisthelioma...I have a hunch you are at LEAST 25. Indulge me with a simple yes or no, no specifics needed =P No offense to the younger gamers either, as hey...gaming is great and everyone should enjoy it, but having kids myself who are 13 and 11...I can tell VERY clearly they have FAR less patience than I did at their ages when it comes to games XD

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Stop being such a crybaby. If you want everyone unlocked from the start, play Melee. Sheik and Fox are available from the get-go.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
But why? It doesn't make sense to have everyone in versus but you have other modes where they are locked. If people played versus and then go to solo then they'll be disappointed to see only 8 characters at first and if anything will make everyone confused once they get to that situation. Either have everyone unlocked in all modes from the get go or simply have unlockables on all modes. I don't see the fuss anyway as this game unlocks characters extremely quick from basically playing anything.

D

Deleted member

Everyone is available from the start in VS mode, single player modes leave the unlockables locked.

This way everyone who wants to unlock characters can do so and everyone who wants to jump right in multiplayer (alongside tournament organizers) would have everyone available from the start.
Honey, you better suck it up and just accept the situation as it is. Sakurai did the right thing by not cloying the player with so many choices from the start. Yes, it is going to be time-consuming, but that never stopped me or any others here. I want to share with y'all here that when I started playing Melee it took me around three hours to unlock all characters.

Just get the unlocking of the characters over with; trouble does not last always, you know. When all the characters are unlocked, you no longer have to worry about it again.

Sayonara :kirby:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
That’s a neat idea.

...I ****ing love unlocking characters though. I’m planning on having a bunch of friends over while we just play vs. matches over and over and slowly unlock most of the characters that way. And I’m really excited. Unlocking a character just automatically makes me more excited to play that character, so the fact that we now have to unlock mainstay characters like Zelda and Pit makes me all the more excited to play as them. I think the 10 minute buffer time is great, too. It’s just the right amount of time to let me appreciate each character before I’m ready to move on.

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
So as a highly competitive player I see the merit in this idea completely. The thing is though, as many other people have already said, this can only cause issue for pretty much the day of release and then the problem is gone forever. Removing the joy of unlocking characters would lessen the experience of a new game for the vast majority of players. All to appease a small competitive community for a single day. Absolutely not worth it. I'm looking forward to unlocking characters and getting myself hyped for a few hours/days after release and then playing with the full roster from then on.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
For me, unlocking stuff in fighting games isn't a problem unless the game itself isn't actually fun for me (Smash 64, SoulCalibur 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Pokken. I'd add Tekken 6 and Dissidia NT to this list, but those had everyone unlocked to begin with, so...), with the only exception being Melee's Final Destination (melee's event mode is legit TRASH), and SoulCalibur 5's godawful story mode.

With that said, ya'll are bein' way too harsh on OP. yeah, I get that they've probably made a thread like this before, but it's everyone's Smash and they can complain if they want to.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honey, you better suck it up and just accept the situation as it is. Sakurai did the right thing by not cloying the player with so many choices from the start. Yes, it is going to be time-consuming, but that never stopped me or any others here. I want to share with y'all here that when I started playing Melee it took me around three hours to unlock all characters.

Just get the unlocking of the characters over with; trouble does not last always, you know. When all the characters are unlocked, you no longer have to worry about it again.

How'd you manage to do it in three when Mewtwo requires a minimum of five hours?

D

Deleted member

How'd you manage to do it in three when Mewtwo requires a minimum of five hours?
It was simple, really: I just did 1000 stamina matches by repeatedly SD'ing. It also saved me time where I choose stages like Jungle Japes or Yoshi's Story where the bottom blast lines are relatively shallow and using fast-fallers like :falconmelee: or :foxmelee: to SD with.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
For me, unlocking stuff in fighting games isn't a problem unless the game itself isn't actually fun for me (Smash 64, SoulCalibur 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Pokken. I'd add Tekken 6 and Dissidia NT to this list, but those had everyone unlocked to begin with, so...), with the only exception being Melee's Final Destination (event match is legitimately TRASH), and SoulCalibur 5's godawful story mode.

With that said, ya'll are bein' way too harsh on OP. yeah, I get that they've probably made a thread like this before, but it's everyone's Smash and they can complain if they want to.
Well I like to unlock character but I prefer doing so more with friends when I'm playing with them instead of us having to take turns through the easy but redundant and time consuming modes. I enjoyed Mario Kart Wii a lot less because I had to take turns unlocking content with friends instead of us playing simultaneously, and Mario Kart 8 was more enjoyable.

Now granted in my other thread I exaggerated how bad this is but you would hate to organize a tournament and get many switches only for some to have missing characters.

I figured that my suggestion in the OP would be a good compromise.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Wow, what a brilliant idea! I adore the thought of having everyone from the start, thus having no need to go through Solo modes to work hard unlocking them in the first place! You, sir/ma’am, deserve a Novel Prize.

/ssssssssss

Akatsuk1

Smash Rookie
ALL the stages are unlocked from the start, that's already big enough as it is for tournament organizers because stages are usually more difficult to unlock then characters. Also I don't see how this is even a big deal unless you're planning to hold a massive tournament an hour after you get the game cause the majority of people will have all characters unlocked by at least day 2. Hell, people have all characters unlocked already and the game isn't even out yet...

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
It's important to see things through 2 frames of reference here:

1. Competitive Smash Player
2. Little Johnny from down the block

As a competitive smash player, of course you want all of the characters unlocked from the start. Or maybe you like the challenge of unlocking all the players, it depends on the person.

But if you're Little Johnny, and this is your 1st or 2nd smash game, it's gunna be f-ing sweet to unlock each new character. I remember playing through Melee when I was like 10 yrs old and freaking out whenever the opportunity arose to unlock a new character. It was literally the most exciting aspect of the game for me and my friends.

So it makes complete sense to me that they don't have all characters unlocked from the start. Nintendo's core audience are kids, so they want to keep that excitement going generation to generation.

But, as competitive player myself, I guess it would be nice to have the option to somehow unlock all characters right off the bat...

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Well I like to unlock character but I prefer doing so more with friends when I'm playing with them instead of us having to take turns through the easy but redundant and time consuming modes. I enjoyed Mario Kart Wii a lot less because I had to take turns unlocking content with friends instead of us playing simultaneously, and Mario Kart 8 was more enjoyable.

Now granted in my other thread I exaggerated how bad this is but you would hate to organize a tournament and get many switches only for some to have missing characters.

I figured that my suggestion in the OP would be a good compromise.
I believe you can unlock characters with friends. I mean, you could always unlock them in versus matches in previous games and you can do classic mode with a friend. I don't see why you wouldn't unlock characters through that. So no taking turns would be needed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some of you may have noticed some warnings handed out. This will continue to happen as long as you act inappropriate on these threads. It doesn't matter who the opening poster is. Respect is a rule here. Flaming and Trolling will not be tolerated from anyone. Show some maturity. You can disagree without being disrespectful. If you disagree, and can't find an actual respectful way to say it, you can simply not post.

In addition, don't try and make this about other posters whatsoever(that does not mean you cannot criticize what points they're making. It means not trying to snipe at users about what threads they made, for a relevant example. It doesn't even matter if they made previous threads. If a thread is a problem, instead of attacking the OP, why aren't you reporting it? Instead of breaking the rules, following them is much easier to do so. For everyone). We will always come down hard on it(sniping at other users). When you choose to participate in these threads, again, no matter who makes them, you are required to follow the rules of Smashboards.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I believe you can unlock characters with friends. I mean, you could always unlock them in versus matches in previous games and you can do classic mode with a friend. I don't see why you wouldn't unlock characters through that. So no taking turns would be needed.
VS matches are an option, but they put a 10 minute timer on for no good reason. Unlocks may not be as bad as they were in the past, but it's still time consuming and if I'm doing VS matches I might want to deliberately lose so my friends can fight the challengers.

It's important to see things through 2 frames of reference here:

1. Competitive Smash Player
2. Little Johnny from down the block

As a competitive smash player, of course you want all of the characters unlocked from the start. Or maybe you like the challenge of unlocking all the players, it depends on the person.

But if you're Little Johnny, and this is your 1st or 2nd smash game, it's gunna be f-ing sweet to unlock each new character. I remember playing through Melee when I was like 10 yrs old and freaking out whenever the opportunity arose to unlock a new character. It was literally the most exciting aspect of the game for me and my friends.

So it makes complete sense to me that they don't have all characters unlocked from the start. Nintendo's core audience are kids, so they want to keep that excitement going generation to generation.

But, as competitive player myself, I guess it would be nice to have the option to somehow unlock all characters right off the bat...
It was my attempt at making things convenient for tournament organizers while simultaneously letting people unlock content.

ALL the stages are unlocked from the start, that's already big enough as it is for tournament organizers because stages are usually more difficult to unlock then characters. Also I don't see how this is even a big deal unless you're planning to hold a massive tournament an hour after you get the game cause the majority of people will have all characters unlocked by at least day 2. Hell, people have all characters unlocked already and the game isn't even out yet...
Well it would be horribly time consuming for tournament organizers to use save files that are behind.

Edgar Chez

Smash Rookie
I found you can unlock chars by playing spirits around 20 or 30 minutes, then leave and a New challenger Will appear, also you can play in vs and lose in purpose if you want to unlock them in story only Mode, you can choose

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I think the emphasis on tournament organizers is...odd. By the time we have Smash Ultimate tourneys, there'll be plenty of fully-unlocked Smash games and Switches to go around. It's a weird thing to get hung up on...especially if tourneys have nothing to do with you!

It sounds like it only takes about 3 hours to unlock everyone. By that logic, no one should be spending more than 3 hours making this out to be a big issue, right? Not trying to be snarky or anything. Just that if time is THAT valuable to you, there's no need to waste more of it being upset.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I think the emphasis on tournament organizers is...odd. By the time we have Smash Ultimate tourneys, there'll be plenty of fully-unlocked Smash games and Switches to go around. It's a weird thing to get hung up on...especially if tourneys have nothing to do with you!

It sounds like it only takes about 3 hours to unlock everyone. By that logic, no one should be spending more than 3 hours making this out to be a big issue, right? Not trying to be snarky or anything. Just that if time is THAT valuable to you, there's no need to waste more of it being upset.
well i doubt unlocking would be that hard but they made in inconvenient for no reason. Almost like Sakurai doesn't want people to play in tournaments much similar to how he designed brawl.

Akatsuk1

Smash Rookie
well i doubt unlocking would be that hard but they made in inconvenient for no reason. Almost like Sakurai doesn't want people to play in tournaments much similar to how he designed brawl.
I'm really confused by this statement... This is a day 1 issue, if you're a tournament organizer and you can't get every character in the 3 hours it takes to unlock them, then you don't really deserve to be organizing a tournament. The switch is portable so if for some reason tourneys don't have every character, people can bring their own for them to borrow. You're acting like this minor inconvenience is gonna be the death of competitive. Like if Sakurai wanted too, he could have made it so you needed to beat classic mode with every single character to unlock all the stages. But he didn't, he made them unlockable from the start FOR tournaments. He made it so you can preset your own rules, he made battlefield and final destinations for EVERY stage AND made it so you can toggle hazards off. All for tournaments. Stop looking at what you don't have, and look at what you DO have.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I personally think it would have been a good idea for Nintendo to allow all characters instantly unlocked when you buy the Fighters Pass.
or just have a cheat code.

if you're a tournament organizer and you can't get every character in the 3 hours it takes to unlock them, then you don't really deserve to be organizing a tournament.
then have fun doing this to all the switches.

And Smash 3DS wasn't played on tournaments much after wii u came out so I'm not sure what benefit does portability have. I doubt tournaments would connect multiple switches for wireless play. Bringing your own console you could say that for every game.

The switch is the easiest console to carry, I'll give you that though.

Top Bottom