• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 3, 2014] AlfaCollusion 2: The Origins (Columbus, OH)

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Yo! Whaddup peeps. This is AlfaStryke here to kick off my birthday with some good ol' fashion smash!!!!! Had lots of success with a local, impromptu mini-tourney, so now I wanna host one AGAIN!!

As of right now this is a very rough sketch but I will tailor the rulesets and whatnot later

WHEN:
May 3rd, 2014 (MY BIRTHDAY YO!!!!!!)

WHERE:
Donatos
2084 North High Street, Columbus, OH

Note: The location is right across from Ohio State University, next to United Dairy Farmers and Panda Express

FOOD:
Donatos is a pizza chain in Ohio which also serves subs, breadsticks, and calzones.
www.donatos.com

NOTE: FOR DRINKS, A FOUNTAIN DRINK (20oz) IS 1.70 WITH FREE REFILLS...WHAT A DEAL!

WHILE THERE IS NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED AT THE VENUE:
There is also many good restaurants in the area, but please do not leave if you are still in bracket unless I say it's ok. There's a Buffalo Wild Wings for the guys up North (you know who you are).

PARKING INFO:

Blue Star is the venue.
Yellow Line is meters. These are free after 10 PM.
Green Line is street parking. The parking on Summit Street is probably the most likely to have spots, but it's also the farthest (7-10 minute walk). I would suggest dropping off all of your equipment prior to parking in this area for simplicity.
Orange Circles are parking garages. They ar 10 bucks for more than 5 hours, and the rates reset at midnight (aka be out by midnight.)

This next map is zoomed in on the venue.
Blue Star is the venue.
Dark Green Line is the drop off zone. Please be quick since this is also where the Donatos drivers park.

PRICE:
Venue without a setup - $5
Wii Only- $3
TV Only - $2
Both- FREE

Brawl Singles and Doubles - $10
Project M Singles - $10
Project M Doubles - $10 ( if there's time for this)
Mystery Event - $1

SCHEDULE: (Note that this is the tentative schedule!)

10:00am - Doors Open
11:00pm - Registration for All Smash Events Begins
12:30pm - Brawl Doubles
1:30pm - Project Melee Singles Begins
3:30pm - Brawl Singles Pools Begin
5:30pm - Project Melee Doubles Begins
6:00pm - Brawl Singles Bracket Begins
9:00pm - Secret Event Begins
11:00pm - Closing up shop

PAYOUTS
Brawl and Project Melee:
Singles < 32:

1) 60%
2) 30%
3) 10%

Singles > 32:

1) 55%
2) 30%
3) 10%
4) 5%

Doubles
1) 55%
2) 30%
3) 15%

Secret Event
1) 80%
2) 20%

BRAWL RULESET
General Rules:
  • 3 Stocks
  • 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Dave's stupid rule is set for all 2/3 matches
  • Modified Dave's Stupid rule is set for all 3/5 matches
  • Items set to “Off” and “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal until 300%
  • Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
  • All character and Stage textures must be notified and inspected by at TO before the tourney to determine if they are considered too distracting (ie the Waterfall and waterwheel Smashville texture)
  • There is a 40 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters.
  • If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time via suicide move, then the initiator of the move will be declared the winner.
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If time runs out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
  • If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Pools play seeding will be determined by set wins first, followed by head to head wins in case of ties, followed by wins - losses, followed by replaying of a starter stage best of 1.
  • In all 3/5 Sets, all stages in the Starter/CP list will be available, no bans, and Modified Dave's Stupid rule will be in effect. This states that the person cannot counterpick where they LAST won.
Modified Doubles Rules:

• Team Attack set to “On”
  • Double Meta Knight is Banned.
  • Life stealing is allowed.
  • In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  • In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner. If percents are tied then a 1 stock per player, 3 minute tie-breaker match on the same stage will occur.
  • If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
Set Procedure:

1) Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2) Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player. During Teams play controller ports 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 will each constitute as 'one controller port.'
3) Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4) The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5) The first match is played.
6) The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7) The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
8) The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9) The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10) The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11) The next match is played.
** Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority:

If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
  • Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Stage List:

Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Pokemon Stadium 1
Halberd

PROJECT M RULESET

All Setups must run Version 3.2!!

• 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
  • Items OFF and set to NONE
  • Buffer OFF
  • Dave's Stupid rule is set for all 2/3 matches
  • Modified Daves Stupid rule is applied for all 3/5 matches
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
  • If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
  • Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
  • All character and Stage textures must be notified and inspected by at TO before the tourney to determine if they are considered too distracting (ie the Waterfall and waterwheel Smashville texture)
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
- Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "1-2-2-1" fashion -

- Prior to this, select the stages that are starters at the options menu, then at the Stage Select Screen (SSS) press Y to clear off non-selected stages. -
- Press X while hovering over the stages you're striking to deselect single stages at the SSS screen. -

1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Singles | Starters [7 stages]
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination

Singles | Counterpick: [7 stages] [Three bans.]
Dracula's Castle
Halberd
Metal Cavern
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Doubles | Starters [7 stages]
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland
Final Destination
Distant Planet

Doubles | Counterpick: [7 stages] [Three bans.]
Dracula's Castle
Halberd
Skyloft
Rumble Falls
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

PRE-REGISTRATION:

To Preregister, please let me know in the Thread or RSVP with the Games you'll play, teammate, and setups.

NOTE: SETUPS ARE IMPORTANT FOR EVERY TOURNAMENT! IT'S BETTER TO HAVE TOO MANY SETUPS RATHER THAN NOT HAVING ENOUGH! MORE TOURNAMENTS = MORE FRIENDLIES = MORE MMs = SUCCESSFUL TOURNEY! THERE SO MUCH I CAN DO SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED :3

Edit: 4/29 BE ADVISED: THE STAGE LIST FOR PM HAS BEEN TWEAKED!!!!!!! CHECK IT OUT!!!!!

Last edited:

PeppyWil

Smash Ace
I personally will be in Toronto for their MLG qualifier this weekend, but I'll notify Dayton of this tourney for any of them who don't have passports or would prefer to go to this.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Due to a personal family task I may take the week before this, I might not be showing up on time for this tourney on time since both are on days I'd need to request off work from, and the very least I can do that is on a 2-week notice.

But since it's at Donatos, I'll be coming after work anyway to hang out with all of you and get some friendlies & money matches in. Any tourney on OSU campus is within my own traveling range.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
can't make it :(
is this going to be a monthly thing?
As of now... no but if this shows a lot of success then maybe. I plan on doing another one at least in August or September. How AlfaCollusion is gonna progress will probably rely a lot on what happens in May.

Last edited:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
This is a maybe. There is a MI local the Sunday after this so unless MI is making this a 1 day trip I'm not too sure.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
This is a maybe. There is a MI local the Sunday after this so unless MI is making this a 1 day trip I'm not too sure.
Awww ok Ori dont wanna celebrate my birthday with me? I see how it is. I'm gonna go cry in the corner now

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I can honestly say this is probably one of my favorite venues, but I might have a bit of bias since I've been to this venue like 5 times more than any other lol. I still get hype every time I see that dinky MS Paint sketch of the map lmao

I'll almost definitely make it out. Also, any chance of housing for Saturday night? Not a big deal if nobody can, I'd just prefer not having to make a 2 hour drive home in the dark half asleep lol. I'll also be bringing my Wii for Brawl (probably not a TV).

Hit me up if you want top 3 in Brawl doubles. I'll also take all money matches at this (Brawl obviously).

Last edited:

SoulPech

Smash Master
Awww ok Ori dont wanna celebrate my birthday with me? I see how it is. I'm gonna go cry in the corner now

The one where it's gonna be water logged since EVERY tourney @ this venue rains and there's a hole in the corner?

That corner? I hope so. Bring your water weenies :denzel:

Shadow you're more than welcome to house w/ me sat

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
The one where it's gonna be water logged since EVERY tourney @ this venue rains and there's a hole in the corner?

That corner? I hope so. Bring your water weenies :denzel:

Shadow you're more than welcome to house w/ me sat
Hype.

Don't worry, you won't have to complain about me playing Meta Knight all night again. :denzel:

Also LOL I forgot about the poop corner lmfao

Last edited:

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Due to a personal family task I may take the week before this, I might not be showing up on time for this tourney on time since both are on days I'd need to request off work from, and the very least I can do that is on a 2-week notice.

But since it's at Donatos, I'll be coming after work anyway to hang out with all of you and get some friendlies
& money matches in. Any tourney on OSU campus is within my own traveling range.
Yay. I'd be down to moneymatch your :GCR: :GCB: at this.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Nvm.

I learned yesterday at work that I have another Mon-Fri schedule with the rest of my team at end of the month. This will probably be the last time it happens for a while.

But that still means that I'm most likely going to make it on time to this tourney after all.

PTizzle

Smash Rookie
So I am very new to the whole smash boards world, but have been trying to find a good smash community since I stopped playing a few years back in college. I was really hoping to make this tournament to get a feel for the community out here in columbus. Unfortunately, it is the same day I signed up for my beginners motorcycle class. I hope there is another one after this. Maybe I can stop by later in the day and still see what this is all about!

LOE1

Smash Lord
-If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.

Shouldnt the initiator get the win tho

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
-If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.

Shouldnt the initiator get the win tho
Good eye. I will fix that

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to make it to as many PM events as I'd like lately. Gonna use this summer to get better and more involved with the Columbus scene starting with this tourney.

Drephen

Smash Master
I wanna get better at project m so I'll be here. I might need a partner, waiting to see if Watty can get off work. I'd also be down for some melee if people are down

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Hi, I'm one of the usual TOs at this venue:

To further explain, when we tried to run Melee in the past the turnout was generally not that good. It improved in the 2 or so years... from 0 to like 16 or so, but in the interest of time constraints/weather, we decided to cater towards Brawl/PM where we knew we would get entrants rather than to risk seeing if Melee was going to show.

You should defi talk to @ Prince_Abu Prince_Abu or @JamesBJames or some of the guys at OSU Melee to gauge their interest in running something. Maybe they can collaborate with @Esports Initiative for an event in the late summer/fall?

LOE1

Smash Lord
about how many brawl people are expected to show up?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
You Columbus folk def. need to host some melee tournaments imo!

Gotta bring the WV crew up.

SoulPech

Smash Master
maybe the OSU Melee Group should host a Melee event sometime and not the PM/Brawl Group.

Just a thought.

:denzel:

Last edited:

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
A Melee scene does exist here in Columbus. It's just that most of us aren't part of it, ironically.

Though I do have a tiny bit of interest in it myself, but I don't want to overwork myself with it between Brawl & P:M.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Couple of things I want to note/mention:
1.) Columbus (PM/Brawl) has generally and consistently hosted at least 1 event in every season of the year, for at least the last 3. Also generally offered to host Melee, but, unfortunately turnout hasn't been the best. Also, generally we only get some locals and no OoC(out of city) for it. OSU Melee on the flip had run an event iirc last October or something and prior to that waited for us or ESI to run something or rarely traveled to events. Not throwing the blame, but, that's what's up here.

2.) I think that we might want to get some prospective numbers (which means you will have to get a survey of interest--- Alfa) and organize the schedule around that. A bit more typically, I wanna say that the numbers have been drifting more towards PM being higher, while on the whole taking less time. This week, Alfa, we should talk about the timing thing a bit more (same w/ you Pech) as we always run into a bottleneck around WSF of some event.

3.) Please, please, please bring setups. Full ones. Or, at the very least bring TVs with slightly higher priority. If you think it's big enough to play a singles match on--- bring it. There are a fair amount of Wiis here in Columbus and generally OoS (MI, KY) tends to bring theirs, but let's make sure that we get some TVs here. If you can't bring one and are staying at SoulPech's--- maybe offer to ferry one of his many TVs? If you are playing with us on Friday and go home or something, hold a TV with you for Saturday. Every little bit helps.

That's about it for now. Excited to see everyone this weekend. : )

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Also, this isn't exactly the right place to put it (though it goes to point 1 of the previous post), but in the interest of actually:

a) funneling people to local tournaments
and
b) highlighting the people who are actually running tournaments in the state

I think that someone who is on top of things and has time to check the boards should make thread in the Midwest Regional Board that gives a 1-month or 3-month (with Links) look at tournaments that are going to be hosted in Ohio by game. If you're feeling froggy, you can also add in OoS, but in region large turnout expected events. But idk, that probably requires Ohio TOs to talk to each other more or to post in that thread to get their stuff updated.

Just a suggestion, though.

Last edited:

Suyon

Smash Lord
OSU Melee step yo game up. Stop being arrogant people and ask others to host things for you. If I recall correctly, the Columbus PM/Brawl group did host Melee along with other games last year, yet Abu didn't even show up. I would even like to say twice. In my opinion if we even did Melee we wouldn't finish on time due to bottleneck and such. As I mentioned in Facebook if we really want Melee let's just start at Abu's place first at 8AM.

Also going to mention that you asked ESI to host things. We already have a plan for the semester. We can't really work around things to get venue since they mostly are taken already even before first day of classes. You can't just ask us to host something for you guys and do nothing. Now that being said, I already suggested having monthlies or bimonthlies starting next term to Brett. Only issues is we already have a tentative schedule of events we want to do already and not to mention home games of football. I suggested this because the PM scene is growing, keep up the hype, and most importantly preparations for Smash WiiU/3DS. We are not going to remove one of our events just for the sake of melee most likely. I'm only a general member, not an executive member.

Last edited:
Top Bottom