• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 24, 2014] A New Hope! (/Hope series), PRE REG ENDS MAY 21st at midnight! (Etna, PA)

M@v

Subarashii!

A long time ago, in a city known as Pittsburgh, there was a tournament series that brought (or destroyed pending who you talked to) hope in the form of Wavedashes, L-Cancels, and Star KOs. This tournament series, affectionately known to all as /Hope, ran for several years and saw many different players from many different states face off against each other. Sadly, this series came to an end well over a year ago, and was destined for the history books...

...until now.

I'm ecstatic to announce Pittsburgh's flagship tournament series has risen from the ashes, and will be making a triumphant return with "A New Hope"! This tournament will be taking place on Saturday, May 24th, at the same venue it always has:

Venue:

Clarence Fugh Memorial Hall
27 Crescent Ave.
Etna, PA
http://www.etnavfd.org/fugh.html

Also making their triumphant return will be Hope' FREE Fountain Drinks, available during the entire tournament!

This time around, Melee will be the main event, with singles and doubles. Also, for the first time ever, Project M will be a part of the Hope series, with Project M singles and doubles occurring!

PRE REGISTER HERE(Ends Wed. May 21st at Midnight!): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FTfw1dAcUarz9W-s8BCZTjJXL7pobJcSXrEGIfvWHPI/viewform

Costs:
Venue fee: $5 Waived if a FULL SETUP (Tv + Console) is brought
Melee Singles: $10
Melee Doubles: $20 per team
Project M Singles: $10
Project M Doubles: $20 per team

Housing:
If needed, housing is available via many smash players and hotels. Please post up if you feel you will need housing so the local community can start working on it.

Schedule (Tentative):
10am: Venue Opens and registration begins
12pm: Melee Doubles Begins
1pm: Project M Doubles Begins (This will be starting regardless if melee bracket is done or not)
3pm or when brackets end: Melee and Project M pools begin.
Brackets commence as soon as pool sheets are in.

*Note: Schedule is subject to change based on turnout and decisions by the TO

Melee Ruleset:
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Wobbling is not banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, and using Master Hand are banned.
* DSR Modified: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* All tournament sets will be best-of-3 except the following, which will be best-of-5: Winners Semis, Winners Finals, Losers Semis, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals.

To decide the stage for the first game of the set, stage strike from the Neutral stagelist in "1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

Project M will use the standard project M ruleset, which I will post here closer to the tournament. In addition, project M rules are subject to change pending new project M releases between now and the tournament.

This thread will be receiving numerous updates in the coming days, especially with specific details like event schedules and event sponsors. Stay tuned for all the details!

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Updated with the event banner!

EDIT: Costs, housing, and tentative schedule added!

Last edited:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Not sure what will be happening around this date, but WV will very likely be in attendance. Tagging this thread now.

Edit: Oh dang! This may be on the same date as another tournament I was gonna attend. Well, we'll see what happens around this time and where I'm situated lol.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm also announcing if you bring a FULL setup (A tv with either a gamecube or wii), I will Waive the venue fee. So, Bring setups! If you can only bring a TV or a console, I unfortunately won't be able to waive it, but I would appreciate you still bringing it if all possible :3

jarvitz

Smash Apprentice
Hope is back from the dead and so am I. I guess. I'll do my best to show up, unless something else is going on I'm fine. I can probably bring a tv + cube, but my brother took my copy of melee and idk when I will see him. ITS HOPELESS!

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm going to get pre-reg up right after Fight Pitt IV. Its going to be simple thing similar to that system.

M@v

Subarashii!
Pre Reg is now live! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FTfw1dAcUarz9W-s8BCZTjJXL7pobJcSXrEGIfvWHPI/viewform

Also, as a result of FP4, I will closely monitoring the pre-reg. If we do indeed get to Fp4 numbers of entrants, I will take proper steps to ensure we have a tournament that runs on time and still be able to have all events. Emergency steps unfortunately had to be taken at Fp4 to ensure it finished on time; the goal now is to learn from that to ensure that situation doesn't happen again. One of the big pluses is that the Hope venue doesn't have the super strict time policies that the FP4 venue put on us. That being said though, I don't want the tournament going to 3 in the morning either.

Last edited:

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Getting pretty pumped for this.
M@v, you ran FP4, correct? I've heard some people comment that running a one-day tournament with singles and doubles of both melee and project M is unrealistic. Surely you disagree; I am just curious as to what about A New Hope will be different so as to ensure that it is run more smoothly without you guys having to bust your asses off for 12+ hours for no pay.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yes. I was the main TO behind BearsFan, who was the man in charge. I was basically his right hand man at FP4.

It all depends on the numbers, which is why its so important people pre-reg. If we get massive numbers like FP4, for singles we will either run elim pools with small number of people getting out (no more than 2 make it out), or bracket pools if the numbers are that massive (Bracket pools is a last resort though, as it robs people of matches). I'm expecting closer to the 100 entrant ballpark rather than the 170 FP4 saw due to large tourneys in both Illinois and Cali happening as well. On top of that, there will be a fair amount of players not going to tourneys to go do Memorial day weekend things.FP4 was the only major event the weekend it ran.

Regardless, I'm going to have plans in place for pretty much every type of turnout. Lower turnout means we'll see all four events with normal pools layouts run for singles. A large turnout will see all events run with tighter elimination pools for singles. If its FP4 or greater numbers, you will likely see bracket pools for singles (only way its realistically getting done), and potentially Single elim Brackets for Doubles events (last resort, but doubles takes a backseat to singles in situation like that). As a TO, I have to be open to all possibilities. The goal here is to make sure that it doesn't come down to an event having to be canned.

Lastly, our time limit with this venue is much more gracious than the FP4 venue. Its not a hard time limit and we get kicked onto the street.

Last edited:

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
M@v:

I pre-reg'd for Project:M, but I ran into some money troubles and as it's looking right now, it's not financially viable for me to go. I'm really sorry. This all happened very suddenly.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Wish people around me weren't so lame and I would car pool with me. Probably won't go just because I don't have anyone to go with :(.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I've posted a few times in the NEOH/PGH group on facebook. As well as talked to Vidjo and tried to talk to Pyro but no one was down to go.

Top Bottom