• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwest [May 14, 2015] Infinity and Beyond! PM Weekly (Plano, Tx)

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
if that falls through, either infinity or i can give you a ride :3

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
this week especially on pre-tourney friendlies, since we will be holding doubles. but we run a pretty efficient tourney so friendly setups open relatively early especially since we had 11 total setups last week :)

xBlue Link

Smash Rookie
This tournament happens every week? If so i definitely plan on making my first tournament appearance.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
yes it will be happening every week, this week with melee too :)

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
its $5 for venue and $5 for entry, pretty standard. the venue isn't free for us :/
It just kinda seems too much for a weekly and the only way to make that money back is usuallly top3. It seems better for the venue to take a small cut of the pot then for every player to pay twice as much just to play

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
It just kinda seems too much for a weekly and the only way to make that money back is usuallly top3. It seems better for the venue to take a small cut of the pot then for every player to pay twice as much just to play
payouts are literally always top 3 at smaller events and there is absolutely no way any player would be okay with the venue taking part of the pot lol.
so far no one who has attended has complained about the fees. they're far from unreasonable and every bit of the venue fee we keep goes into improving the tourney experience, not into any of our pockets.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I would love to come out to this, but I have to drive back to bossier on the 18th, so I can't stay up til 1 playing smash

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
Just checking, but I was told last week that Melee would be a part of this weeks event.

Confirm / deny please.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
yup infinity's deal with side events like that was if we got 50 or more entrants for either event (which we did with melee) then we would have it as a rotating side event. we didn't get that for brawl, but if enough interest is shown i'll see if we can bring it back sometime :)

but yes confirming that this week's event is pm doubles!

skwaag5233

Smash Cadet
Thanks, did not know that. Hopefully Brawl makes a return.

Where does Infinity post what the side event will be for that week?

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
he says it will at some point so never fear :) he makes a Facebook event a few days before, and it has the stage of the week as well as the side event.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
yes, pm singles are the main event and we will never not do pm singles :3

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Is the address at the top still correct? It seems to have changed a few times so I just wanna be sure.

Milo's Anime Armory
1565 West Main Street Suite 495, Lewisville, Texas 75067
Lewisville, Tx 75067

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
yes that is correct, hopefully we'll be staying there for quite a while.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
What's the earliest reasonable time we can get there? I haven't practiced since parg3 and was wanting to get some friendlies in. My friend and I could help get everything setup if y'all need it.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
we usually get there around 6 and there are people there already playing so maybe 5:30? the venue itself has a few setups. pm singles won't start until 8 so there should be plenty of time for friendlies as long as we don't get a huge doubles turnout.

Evilforces

Smash Rookie
Got a few questions. If you just want to watch the tournament do you pay $5 or $10? Will there be Melee? Is there pre-reg or can you just show up and pay the fees.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
You can just show up, Melee is there some weeks, but PM is always there. At most you'd have to pay $5 to just watch, but you'll have to wait for @ bec bec to see if you have to pay anything at all.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
Got a few questions. If you just want to watch the tournament do you pay $5 or $10? Will there be Melee? Is there pre-reg or can you just show up and pay the fees.
nah there's no venue fee as long as you dont enter. there won't be melee this week but may be next week? i'll have to see what infinity says. oh and no pre-reg, just show up before bracket, which starts at 8 :) if you do want to enter, talk to me, i'm the one wearing the tiara taking everyone's money and info behind the counter usually.

Last edited:

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
Long time lurker here and first official post. Just made this account so I could chip in. I live nearby and I've been wanting to show up for a couple months. I'm finally free and off work tonight so I believe I will try and come tonight. Just got some quick questions.

What should I bring? Should I bring a Wii+SD Card if we need more setups, etc.? I was planning on bringing my own controller.
What would be the best time to arrive? I saw some replies above saying how friendlies starts rather early.

Im a semi-casual player who has followed the competitive scene for years. This would be my first ever tourney so here we go.
Sorry if this isnt the right place to post this.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
Long time lurker here and first official post. Just made this account so I could chip in. I live nearby and I've been wanting to show up for a couple months. I'm finally free and off work tonight so I believe I will try and come tonight. Just got some quick questions.

What should I bring? Should I bring a Wii+SD Card if we need more setups, etc.? I was planning on bringing my own controller.
What would be the best time to arrive? I saw some replies above saying how friendlies starts rather early.

Im a semi-casual player who has followed the competitive scene for years. This would be my first ever tourney so here we go.
Sorry if this isnt the right place to post this.
hi! if you would like you can bring a setup, that would be super helpful since last week we only had eight and it took a while longer than expected. definitely bring your own controller. we usually get there around 6-6:30 and there are almost always people already there playing friendlies.

i'm super glad you can make it out! if you want any tips i'm sure the people you play would be happy to help, especially if you happen to play one of the top ranked players from the area :)

Last edited:

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
hi! if you would like you can bring a setup, that would be super helpful since last week we only had eight and it took a while longer than expected. definitely bring your own controller. we usually get there around 6-6:30 and there are almost always people already there playing friendlies.

i'm super glad you can make it out! if you want any tips i'm sure the people you play would be happy to help, especially if you happen to play one of the top ranked players from the area :)
Awesome! I'll bring what I can. I don't know if I'll be able to stay for the whole night but I'll definitely be there!

And I'm sure I'll need a bunch of tips haha.

TheNinjaFreak

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheNinjaFreak
Is this a good tournament to go to for my first tournament? I play PM almost daily now and I was wondering how many people show up so I can get a feel for the tournament. :chuckle:

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
this would be great, we normally get 50-60 entrants though last night we got 80+ since m2k was in attendance lol

but yeah there's a lot of great players who can help you improve if you ask!

Bozo302

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this is a scrub question but what time does the brackets/tourney start? I know it opens at 7 but idk (sorry I've never been to a tournament before x.x)

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
Sorry if this is a scrub question but what time does the brackets/tourney start? I know it opens at 7 but idk (sorry I've never been to a tournament before x.x)
dont worry :)
people are usually there by 6, the side event of the week, if there is one, starts at 7 and main PM bracket starts at 8.
this week we are doing PM doubles as the side event.

BirdyBirds

Smash Cadet
I need to find a doubles partner if that's the side event this week. hopefully there's people there that are looking for one as well.

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
How long do the IaB events that feature Melee usually last considering how you guys have to probably juggle the same players between both brackets? I'm curious about average times so lets not talk about when M2K was there xD. But yeah, when you guys host both games I'm inferring that you start Melee first and then PM at 8pm? What time do you guys usually finish up an IaB when its PM only vs. PM and Melee as well? When I attended one of your events M2K was there along with a crazy amount of people lolz, and we were there until around 3am...but yeah, what times do you guys usually average at these events without all the craziness of guests like M2K bahahah! I appreciate knowledge :) I'm trying to host myself in the future so this info helps me out a lot! (I'm sorry if this isn't the place for a post like this .__.)

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
usually like 12:30-1am if we're lucky and we have lots of setups but we only had 8 last week ;; 65 man singles and 16 team doubles on 8 setups was awful

Top Bottom