• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 10, 2014] Shell Shocked XV - Melee & PM (College Park, MD)

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Facebook thread: https://www.facebook.com/events/694426013947910/

The Super Smash Bros Club at the University of Maryland, College Park is very proud to present:

SHELL SHOCKED XV
A Melee/Project M tournament

After a very successful Shell Shocked XIV, we are excited to announce the next entry in the series, this time featuring Project M.
College Park is the perfect location for a local tournament. We are centrally located between Maryland and Virginia, and best of all we are completely Metro accessible via the College Park station on the green line and a free shuttle bus. See below for more information

The tournament will be held in the Computer Science Instructional Center at the University of Maryland, College Park. This time we'll be on the second floor instead of the first. We'll be in rooms 2117 and 2107.

Computer Science Instructional Center
College Park, MD 20740

There is no street address, the address is "Computer Science Instructional Center". It is located on Paint Branch Drive. It will show up as a valid address in Google Maps so you can put it in Google Maps on your phone or print directions in advance. Make sure you have your directions set in advance because I will not be available on the day of to guide you here.

NO ALCOHOL OR ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED INSIDE THE VENUE. IF YOU ARE FOUND TO BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF OR IN POSSESSION OF ALCOHOL OR ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE VENUE AND POSSIBLY REPORTED TO AUTHORITIES. This should go without saying, but we're aware of past incidents and certain smasher habits. Please don't screw this up for us.

PARKING:
Free parking is available in lot XX1 located directly next to the venue. The entrance to lot XX1 is located on Paint Branch Drive between the wind tunnel building and a large map of the campus. I'll put some pictures here in a bit. Getting to the venue and finding parking is still your responsibility.

Lot XX1 can be found on this map. Look at this map in advance so you know where to park and don't get lost. I will not be available to give directions via phone if you get lost.

http://www.transportation.umd.edu/parking/maps/map_color.pdf

METRO SHUTTLE:
Take the green line to the College Park/U of MD metro station. Take the College Park Metro/104 bus to campus. Press the yellow bars to request the bus to stop after entering campus. It will stop before the large M logo on Campus Drive. Walk down campus drive back towards the entrance of the campus, then turn left onto Paint Branch Drive. The CSIC will be on your right behind the wind tunnel building. When returning to the metro station, you can take the bus back to the metro across the street from where you got off.

Full metro map/schedule:
http://www.transportation.umd.edu/images/Shuttle/Schedules%20pdfs/current/104_CPM.pdf

DIRECTIONS:
I made a document with directions if you're driving or taking the shuttle. If you're driving, please plan your trip first using Computer Science Instructional Center, then refer to this document for clarification. If you're taking the metro this will tell you where to get off the shuttle on campus and get back on to get back to the metro station.
http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~tgeorgen/ssdirections.pdf

FOOD:
There are plenty of great locations available within walking distance on RT1. There's multiple pizza places, DP Dough (awesome calzones), McDonalds, Bobby's Burger Palace, Pho, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, and I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting. On the other end of RT1 past the campus there's Five Guys, Chipotle, and a bunch more. Also, if you're too lazy to leave the venue, just about everywhere delivers. Just pull up grubhub on your phone.

FEES:
Venue fee: Your (non-mandatory) donation to UMD Smash! Please help support our club. We are dedicated to putting on professional run tournaments and streams. Thank you.

PLEASE BRING FULL SETUPS. WE HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF SETUPS AND WE NEED AS MANY AS WE CAN GET TO RUN A SUCCESSFUL TOURNAMENT. THANKS!

For both games:
Singles: $10/person
Doubles: $5/person ($10/team)

PAYOUTS:
(These are subject to change based on the number of entrants)
Singles:
1st Place: 48%
2nd Place: 22%
3rd Place: 14%
4th Place: 8%
5th Place: 4%
Doubles:
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 5%

RULES:
Timeliness:
Signups for all events ends 15 minutes before the start of the event. If you are not here in person and signed up for the event then you will not be entered. Nobody may register someone else for an event. You must register yourself before signups ends. The same goes for doubles. If you are registering your team, both team members must be present before the registration period closes. If you are registered for an event and you are not available to play within 5 minutes of your match being called, you will be disqualified from that event (we will not call matches for players who are currently playing another game in the chance that another game runs behind schedule, so this should not be an issue.)

Melee:
We will be using our official ruleset. It is based off of Apex 2014 and doesn't differ in any noticeable way. Same stages, same procedures, same rules regarding wobbling/stalling, etc. Please review the notes at the top, especially those regarding substance abuse and language of a homophobic/racist/violent nature.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-CYoKBuUVHsXRIZoVracBRnPLGBTe-FFVT7_ET4py-8/edit?usp=sharing
PM:
Apex 2014 Ruleset: http://www.apex-series.com/rules/projectm/

SCHEDULE:
(subject to change)
10:00AM: Venue opens and signups begins for all events.
11:30AM: Project M doubles begins
1:00PM: Melee doubles begins
2:30PM: Project M singles begins
5:00PM: Melee singles begins
10:00PM: Venue closes

If you have any questions, feel free to ask us on the event page or on our Facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/umdsmash/

Last edited:

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Whoohoo more posts!

We should also get a better map with better instructions.
The google map at the top is exactly correct, and free parking is available in the lot directly adjacent to the building on the southwest. Since last time people still had a bunch of trouble though, I might just end up doing this anyway. For whatever reason folks seem to lose all sense of direction once they get on campus. Or, maybe they're just too lazy to look it up in advance? ;)

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Cannot wait for this. I went last time and it was a blast. I go to the fests as often as possible, so I can say I'm super hyped.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Also, could someone lend me a controller for the event? My controller randomly broke recently and I lack the money to buy a new one.

CTL17

Smash Lord
The google map at the top is exactly correct, and free parking is available in the lot directly adjacent to the building on the southwest. Since last time people still had a bunch of trouble though, I might just end up doing this anyway. For whatever reason folks seem to lose all sense of direction once they get on campus. Or, maybe they're just too lazy to look it up in advance? ;)
I think we should get streetview pictures. Imagine if everyone was Wenbo, except unfamiliar with the place.

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Also, could someone lend me a controller for the event? My controller randomly broke recently and I lack the money to buy a new one.
I might be buying a new one soon so I might be able to lend you my old one. I think @emoDinosaur might have some extras you could borrow too but I'm not sure.

I think we should get streetview pictures. Imagine if everyone was Wenbo, except unfamiliar with the place.
Even though the google maps is perfect, I made this anyways because I know what you mean.

PEOPLE IF YOU NEED DIRECTIONS CHECK THIS DOC BECAUSE I WON'T ANSWER MY PHONE TO GET YOU HERE:
http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~tgeorgen/ssdirections.pdf

Didn't know there was a tournament next weekend that's hypeee!

10kanackers
Great, see you there!
10kawhydoyoualwaysdothis

Last edited:

Nicholas Asbury

Smash Rookie
How often do you guys hold tournaments? Because I've been looking for tournaments in the Maryland area and I am really interested in this.

CTL17

Smash Lord
How often do you guys hold tournaments? Because I've been looking for tournaments in the Maryland area and I am really interested in this.
You really ought to join the MD/VA Mele Facebook group. You'll see that there's something to do almost every week.

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
MD/VA Mele
why did this have to happen T__T

Also I've updated payouts, teams entry fee, and the schedule. Remember that registration ends 15 minutes before each event begins. If you and your teammate are not present, registered, and paid for PM doubles by 11:15AM, you will not be entered into PM doubles. If you and your teammate are not present, registered, and paid for Melee doubles by 12:45PM, you will not be entered into Melee doubles. If you are not present, registered, and paid for PM singles by 2:15PM, you will not be entered into PM singles. If you are not present, registered, and paid for Melee singles by 4:45PM, you will not be entered into Melee singles. It is never to early to register for any event, so if you're interested in entering an event do it as soon as you arrive. Also keep in mind that if you are not present for your match within 5 minutes of it being called, you will be disqualified from that tournament, so don't forget to be present at the start of each event. I will be making no exceptions with these rules.

Memento Mori

Smash Rookie
Can't wait for Saturday. I hope that I can do good. The first tournament I went to was Pound 5.5 last November about a week after I got into competitive Melee. I hope my hometown crew and I are all ready for this.

Are any big names showing up?

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Can't wait for Saturday. I hope that I can do good. The first tournament I went to was Pound 5.5 last November about a week after I got into competitive Melee. I hope my hometown crew and I are all ready for this.

Are any big names showing up?
Glad to hear it! Some big names confirmed on Facebook are DoH and Esam, I think ChuDat was confirmed at one point but I don't see him listed as "Going" now. I'm sure there will be a few more.

Also, is that a VLR reference? :p

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
That's a very bold prediction. I predict that Wenz will end up shaving off at least 80 minutes of tournament time by physically picking up people and taking them to their setups.
I like this prediction :D Not if he's getting DP dough again though. He missed most of Chillin vs Wenbo last time for that haha.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Will there be the usual Friday smash fest at umd in addition to this? Or at the very least, would people on campus want to play?

Also, I am still looking for a P:M doubles partner in case anyone is interested.

Btw, I noticed singles payouts do not add up to 100.

Last edited:

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
That DP Dough was so worth.
True though. Especially since half of mine mine prevented Chu from leaving to get food. So even when you're getting food you're helping tournaments run on time :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom