• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 10-11 2014] GOML Brawl/Melee Event This Weekend

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If you are looking for high level Smash this weekend, look no further than the Great White North. Canada is poised to have its biggest Smash tournament of all time this weekend, and it is also shaping up to be the most stacked MLG Grassroots Major yet. You don't want to miss it!

The event, 'Get On My Level',will function as the official MLG Canadian Qualifier hosted by YU Smash and Even Matchup Gaming. Highlights include:
  • Free venue offered for online pre-registration; Melee expected to break the 200-man cap
  • Qualifier points toward MLG's Anaheim event
  • First SSBB National to introduce the "1-stock ruleset"
  • C9|Mango's first tournament appearance under his new Cloud 9 team
  • Featuring CRS|Hungrybox, CT EMP|Mew2King, Ally, EMG|KirbyKaze, Leon, Kage the Warrior, EMG|Toronto Joe, and many more
  • Melee commentators: Soft & Toph and Brawl commentators: Doom & Toronto Joe
  • Streaming via VGBootCamp's MLG platform (www.MLG.tv/vgbootcamp)
  • Interviews, highlights, and special gifts provided by Even Matchup Gaming
Prepare for a weekend of an all-out Smashaganza* during the prime of smash history.

* - A smash event so epic you'll have no choice but to go again and aganza...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What's this "1 stock ruleset?"
Also known as YOLO

It's the same as a regular ruleset with the exception that you only have 1 stock instead of 3 but everything else is pretty much the same, sometimes more stages will be allowed as well. Some characters get buffed within a YOLO ruleset while others get nerfed as well.

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Only one life then you're out
I'm slightly worried about how this will play out. Does that mean they're going to switch to best out of 5 sets then? Cause otherwise sets will go by waaaay too fast. It makes sense in Brawl because it's a slower game, but in Melee?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm slightly worried about how this will play out. Does that mean they're going to switch to best out of 5 sets then? Cause otherwise sets will go by waaaay too fast. It makes sense in Brawl because it's a slower game, but in Melee?
I think that's the point, to make it faster cause they are planning on having more people in the semi-final than what they normally have

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I think that's the point, to make it faster cause they are planning on having more people in the semi-final than what they normally have
Ah, I see. Interesting idea, I hope this doesn't become the standard though because there's really nothing more exciting than seeing somebody comeback from a 2 or 3 stock lead. Although this could just be as tense. we'll see!

Edit: Djent made a ninja post before I posted the above
Umm, you mean first SSBB national to use it, right?
That's what I thought, there was a post about it on /r/smashbros so that's why I assumed it was only Brawl and it was weird to apply it to Melee

Last edited:

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
As long as 1-Stock isn't the standard, I'm fine. Or maybe a side event? If it stays at other tourneys, then I hope it is just a side event.

Last edited:

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Won't be there to see it and enjoy it myself, but will definitely be watching it on stream!! Here's to a great tournament!

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Yolo tournaments are fun, 1 stock, random stage, random character locks, bo1, single elimination; at least for non brawl games, imo

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Can someone explain to me the 1-Stock Brawl ruleset? Sounds pretty crazy and fun.
Also known as YOLO

It's the same as a regular ruleset with the exception that you only have 1 stock instead of 3 but everything else is pretty much the same, sometimes more stages will be allowed as well. Some characters get buffed within a YOLO ruleset while others get nerfed as well.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Can someone explain to me the 1-Stock Brawl ruleset? Sounds pretty crazy and fun.
Mostly everything is the same, except that players only have one stock per game, and three games to win (with the exception of four games to win in top three).

The effect is that the advantage gap between top tier and bottom tier characters, though still present, is not given as much time to widen throughout a full 4-stock game.

An analogy I use is to compare a y=x graph and a y=x^2 graph. The further along the x-axis (time) you go, the wider the margin between the two become. By shortening the time and number of stocks, the margin between the two is kept much shorter, and even give the advantage to what would usually be considered a weaker character.

To compensate for the shortened amount of time, there are more games to be played, so that players still have opportunities to counter-pick characters, stages, or to revise their strategy or analyze their opponent.

It really is a unique and masterful solution to the slower-paced and different mechanics of Brawl. It may have been a big mistake to adopt the Melee rulesets into a game as different as Brawl to begin with, and perhaps the Brawl scene may have developed into and have had a very different image had it used the 1-stock ruleset to begin with than what it is and how people see it now. However, there has been much, much positive feedback on the 1-stock ruleset, and I'm hoping that new gameplay and strategies arise as a result of this new change. Better now than never. :)

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer is perhaps the most prominent buff in a YOLO ruleset because the chance of one of the Pokemon becomes tired through the stamina mechanic is much lower since YOLO is much quicker and there will be no force switching. Olimar and ZSS are other examples of characters that received buffs out of it. And Wario is an example of a character who gets nerfed from it.

For a really good example of YOLO watch this video;

The whole entire thing, along with some filler matches, ran in the span of 42 minuets. That's less then an hour. It's really effective if you want a speedy tourney and it's loads of fun and it helps to to work out the complaints some people have about Brawl.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Mostly everything is the same, except that players only have one stock per game, and three games to win (with the exception of four games to win in top three).

The effect is that the advantage gap between top tier and bottom tier characters, though still present, is not given as much time to widen throughout a full 4-stock game.

An analogy I use is to compare a y=x graph and a y=x^2 graph. The further along the x-axis (time) you go, the wider the margin between the two become. By shortening the time and number of stocks, the margin between the two is kept much shorter, and even give the advantage to what would usually be considered a weaker character.

To compensate for the shortened amount of time, there are more games to be played, so that players still have opportunities to counter-pick characters, stages, or to revise their strategy or analyze their opponent.

It really is a unique and masterful solution to the slower-paced and different mechanics of Brawl. It may have been a big mistake to adopt the Melee rulesets into a game as different as Brawl to begin with, and perhaps the Brawl scene may have developed into and have had a very different image had it used the 1-stock ruleset to begin with than what it is and how people see it now. However, there has been much, much positive feedback on the 1-stock ruleset, and I'm hoping that new gameplay and strategies arise as a result of this new change. Better now than never. :)
Great analysis and overview, so thanks for that. I agree with your opinion. After watching a VGBootCamp match with this ruleset, I definitely liked it. It sped up Brawl and made it more interesting (I love Brawl anyways because it was my first Smash game, but I mean for the other viewers). There were crowds gathering to watch. The 1-stock sets also speed up pools/brackets. I like the ruleset and I think it's healthy for Brawl, hopefully this exposure will help the game live contrary to what most players are saying.

Top Bottom