• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 10-11, 2014] Get On My Level 2014 - MLG Qualifier : Brawl/Melee (Toronto)

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
https://www.picatic.com/goml2014

Online Pre-Registration is LIVE! Come register for both singles/doubles for SSBB & SSBM. Registration closes May 4th, If you choose to register at that the door there will be an extra 10$ charge so make sure to take advantage of the free venue to save some cash.
****** Also some very important things regarding the registration process*******

- When registering for singles, in the slot for "First Name" put down your gamertag, and in the slot for "Last Name" put your region
-When registering for doubles, the ticket is sold as 1 lump sum, so when you register, make sure you include your teammates gamertag as well so we know who you are with and can properly seed the event

-You'll notice there is also a donation button, the Even Matchup Gaming crew has never asked for donations but I figured since venue was free maybe some people would feel comfortable lending us a hand to upgrade our stream equipment/high 5 us for our hard work, streaming is really expensive to do properly and we hope to become a top streamer in Canada by the end of the year so your support would mean a lot. This is completely optional of course and anything is appreciated.

http://teespring.com/getonmylevel2014
In addition we have an official GOML 2014 shirt and the proceeds from the teespring campaign will go towards increasing the SSBM pot bonus! So if you want a keepsake from the tournament and want to support the top talent making the trip down to Toronto for this event, heres the perfect opportunity!‪#‎TeamRandall‬

Thanks again for your patience with the registration everyone! Lets make this event one for the scrapbooks. Get hype.

I am happy to announce Get On My Level,a 2 day event hosted during May 10 and 11. Smash has shown that it refuses to die, and this event is aimed at providing the excitement and passion that our community has consistently displayed to keep our scene alive.

What more needs to be said? #GOML is the Official Canadian MLG qualifier in their Grassroots Program, and well..if you stick around for a couple more days, there might be something even bigger on the table. Offering their streaming platform and event promotion, Major League Gaming is providing not just this event, but the entire Smash community, a helping hand in our scenes continued expansion.

EvenMatchupGaming will be supplying TV setups for this tournament (10+!), they will also be doing media coverage of the event; including interviews conducted by yours truly :), tournament recaps, as well as a Salty Suite where money matches and concept matches will be recorded! (Let us know who you'd like to see!)

You can like them on www.facebook.com/evenmatchupgaming and subscribe on www.youtube.com/evenmatchupgamingfor updates on G.O.M.L and Smash related content.

VG Bootcamp, one of the premiere live-streamers for Smash will be coming down from Maryland to stream G.O.M.L! Super hype to have VGBC back in Canada.

Support the team at facebook.com/vgbootcamp and www.youtube.com/videogamebootcamp where all matches will be uploaded.

The Y.U Smash Club is an official student organization from York University dedicated to growing the Smash community and providing events to help encourage and promote gaming culture. You can support them with a like on facebook at :www.facebook.com/YUSmash

facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/230161173856863/

Get On My Level will be hosted in the Founders College Assembly Hall at York University campus in the beautiful city of Toronto.

4700 Keele Street
Founders College - Room 152
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
M3J 1P3

The room has a maximum capacity of 300 people and also features a main stage where all the hype matches will streamed both online and in person on a large projector. Here is a picture from the last book sale and concert hosted there with the main stage projector:

We will begin setting up for the event at 8:30 am on Day 1, feel free to drop by if you'd like to volunteer your services to help set-up.

Registration at the door will start at 10 and finish at 10:45

Waves of pools will be announced at 11:30 for both games and run until the venue closes at 10pm, those who preregister will be assigned their pool number and start time in advance. Depending on how many entrants we get, we are most likely going to have pools of 6-10 with top 2 advancing to finals day, final bracket will be a top 32 or 64 depending on size s well.

On finals day the venue will open up at 8:30 but the final bracket will begin at Noon,feel free to drop by for friendlies in the mean-time

Time | Event

May 10
9:30-10:30 IRL registration
11:00am | Brawl Singles Pools Wave 1 Begins
11:00Am | Melee Singles Pools Wave 1 Begins
2:30pm | Melee Singles Pools Wave 2 Begins
3:00pm | Brawl Singles Pools Wave 2 Begins
4:30pm | Melee Doubles Begins Until Top 8
6:00pm | Brawl Doubles Begins Until Top 8
6:30pm | Melee Doubles top 8 begins
8:30pm | Brawl Doubles top 8 begins

May 11

Time | Event

12:00pm | Melee Singles Bracket Begins Until Top 8
2:00pm | Brawl Singles Bracket Begins Until Top 8
3:00pm | Melee Singles top 8 Begins
6:00pm | Brawl Singles top 8 Begins

*Schedule subject to change*

Online pre-registration coming soon!

There is NO venue fee! A big thank you the Y.U. Smash Club and York University for supporting the event and providing the space for us.

Payouts are as follows if we get 100+:

Super Smash Bros Brawl & Melee Singles
1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 3% (x2)
7th Place: 2% (x2)

Super Smash Bros Brawl & Melee Doubles
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 2.5% (x2)

Apex ruleset for both Melee event and Brawl doubles, Brawl singles will be One Stock best of 5(top 3 being bo7) with a 3 minute times. This makes GOML2014 the first international 1 stock event in SSBB's history.

https://www.apex-series.com/rules

BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller)
Please mind personal hygiene. (Don't smell, please shower)
Tournament matches have priority over friendlies and money matches.
No drugs, alcohol or anything illegal allowed on campus.

If you are travelling from out of country you will be required to have a Passport, these usually take between 1-4 weeks to arrive:

1. Americans can get passports very easily. Go to your local post office and apply for them. They will give you all the instructions on what to do, and some people get their passports within 2 weeks! Getting one costs $135 USD for anyone 16+ ($110 USD to renew), or $105 USD for anyone under 16.

2. A possible alternative for Americans is an enhanced drivers license which is cheaper than a passport, and quicker to obtain. The enhanced license lets you travel to Canada, and some other countries (though not as many as a passport).

3. US Passport Card: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

MORE PASSPORT INFO

Please note that as of June 1, 2009 visitors to Canada from the United States will be required to show:

1) If you are crossing the border by land or sea: a valid US passport, a US passport card, or an enhanced driver's license.

2) If you are flying: a valid US passport ONLY

Full details available here: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

BUSSING
Bussing is a very popular mode of transportation for people looking for a cheap way to reach tournaments in other cities. Here are several bus companies which provide both domestic and international routes.

Canadian Megabus site: ca.megabus.com
American Megabus site: us.megabus.com
Canadian Greyhound site: greyhound.ca
American Greyhound site: greyhound.com

The bus terminal where you will end up is the Toronto Coach Terminal.

Toronto Coach Terminal
610 Bay Street Toronto
Ontario, Canada M5G 1M5

www.torontocoachterminal.com

FLYING
If you are flying from within Canada or anywhere that's not the United States, the best airport for you to land in is the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Toronto Pearson International Airport
6301 Silver Dart Drive, Mississauga
Ontario, Canada L4V 1E8

www.torontopearson.com
If you are flying from the United States and you want to save money, I strongly recommend that you fly to the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

Buffalo Niagara International Airport
4200 Genesee Street, Cheektowaga
New York, United States

www.buffaloairport.com
Then bus it via Megabus the rest of the way. The trip from Buffalo to Toronto is about 2-3 hours, and it will end up being much cheaper than flying straight into Canada.

Subway Directions:
Go to Downsview subway station and take the 196 straight to the York U Campus! (15minute bus ride)

Out of Country:

Make sure to take notice of the passport information!

There will be housing available for attendees from local community members, as well as Hotels within a 5 minute cab ride of York University

Hotels near York (5 minute taxi ride) are as follows:
Holiday Inn Express
Toronto-North York
30 Norfinch Drive, North York, Ontario
M3N 1X1
Tel: 1-416-665-3500
Fax: 1-416-968-7765
Toll-Free calls: 1-800-HOLIDAY (465-4329)

Map and transportation information at: www.ichotelsgroup.com

Toronto North/North York Travelodge
50 Norfinch Drive, North York, Ontario
M3N 1X1
Tel: 416-663-9500
Fax: 416-663-848

Map and transportation information at: www.travelodge.com

Comfort Inn Toronto North
66 Norfinch Drive, North York, Ontario
M3N 1X1
Tel: (416) 736-4700, 1-877-424-6423
Fax: (416) 736-4842

Map and transportation information at www.comfortinn.com

This event will be sponsored by:

Nintendo Ethusiast is collaborating with this event for an upcoming Nintendo convention they play on hosting in Toronto during the month of August. The top 8 from each game will be invited to a showcase tournament where they will compete for a special grand prize and trophy. The link to the convention website can be found here, stay up to date on announcements and details regarding their summer convention! :

KW Vintage Games shop is providing 10 gamecube consoles for the Melee event. Thanks again for supporting the Ontario Smash community, as they have done an incredible job building the Kitchener Waterloo scene. Give them a like at https://www.facebook.com/kwvintagegames
PLUS MANY MORE SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED!

Lets play KW is a grassroots organization aimed at growing the Southern Ontario gaming community. They will be providing consoles and staff support for #GOML
Give them a follow at: https://twitter.com/LetsPlayKW

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Need housing? Hit me up.

-Stef ;)

Lights

Smash Apprentice
Anyone want to team? I play MK in teams, Olimar and 'Zss' as secondaries if you're a mk or GnW. Doubles is my specialty : )

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'm extremely interested, but I'll have to see how this conflicts with my money/work schedule.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
someone team with me in brawl pls i have a really good jigglypuff

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Probably won't be able to go to this, and if I can it will only be for day 1. How close is the nearest subway/train station to the venue? Within walking distance?

idea

Smash Master
Oh THIS event hall! I can vouch for the size of the venue, I've walked by it a million times on the way to classes. Should be more than big enough.

There's also a lot of good food really close by at York's food court and in the attached mini-shopping mall. Yeah, it has its own mall. In case you want some last-minute prescription eyeglasses or an iPod.

Jason just come anyway :D

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Also the rulesets are subject to change. It's tradition at my event to revive something from the past. PJSalt incoming.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i invited about 400 people hopefully some of them show up

Rikana

Smash Champion
Probably won't be able to go to this, and if I can it will only be for day 1. How close is the nearest subway/train station to the venue? Within walking distance?
Not at all. It's about a 30-40 minute bus ride from Finch Station. You can also get there from Sheppard Station.

fdfdf

Smash Rookie
ooo i might go if big names show, would be fun

wondering if its worth it otherwise, heading to first tournament this saturday (Melee Night In Canada #3! :))

Top Bottom