• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MaximillianDood’s Thoughts on Sephiroth

F441F263-38B4-404A-94E9-1FFAADF478DA.jpeg
The Game Awards Show brought us tons of news on upcoming games but none turned heads more than Sephiroth, the villain of Final Fantasy VII, one-shotting Galeem and taking on the whole Smash roster. The whole trailer seemed to be one huge love letter to the movie Advent Children and prominent gaming YouTuber MaximillianDood “Max” also thought so as well.

Warning: Inappropriate language and content

In the video, Max talks a bit about Final Fantasy, Advent Children, and even Dissidia. He even goes out to note how the trailer heavily referenced Advent Children including Sephiroth “slicing” through Midgard and goes through frame by frame multiple times to explain the references.

He didn’t offer much thoughts about moveset potential or competitive viability but he did talk about the size of Sephiroth’s sword and speculated about the spells he uses. Max isn’t a stranger to Final Fantasy lore, mechanics, and terminology so it’s great to hear this commentary from him. Max is a huge fan of Final Fantasy VII and his reaction video to Cloud’s inclusion in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS is nigh legendary.

Him and his “doods” held a remote viewing party for the awards show and thier reaction to Sephiroth’s reveal was very entertaining to watch. Technically speaking, Max did call it by saying “NSync” since, for those who didn’t know, singer Lance Bass did voice Sephiroth once.

Again, inappropriate language.

Sephiroth and Challenger Pack 8 will be showcased this Thursday in a Sakurai Presents video so please stay tuned for that and an inevitable reaction video by Max.

Credits
Editing
: Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Graphics: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp
Sources: MaximliianDood

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

To add on to Max's observations:

• The version of One-Winged Angel used in the trailer is also, indeed, the Advent Children version. They obviously only took certain parts of the song, as the original song is 6 minutes long. Someone on Twitter did say that the trailer had slightly different lyrics than in Advent Children, just to note.
  • Omnislash Ver. 5 is likely a new visual update to Cloud's Final Smash if you are using his Advent Children costume, likely just going to come automatically with the 10.0 update.
But yeah, the amount of detail on his trailer (and his inclusion in general) is absolute insanity.

Sadly we don't really have much information on him gameplay wise, but fortunately we don't have to wait long to get that information.

Thinking back on the start of Sephiroth's reveal trailer, seeing him 1-shotting Galeem does give the vibes of World of Light secret boss potential. For those who've played through FF VII know very well that Sephiroth CAN accomplish such a feat easy. Dang, now we've got quite the league of villains in Smash.
  • Bowser
  • King K. Rool
  • Ganondorf
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Meta Knight (although in recent games he's an ally)
  • King Dedede (although like Meta Knight, he became and ally as well)
  • Wolf
  • Sephiroth
And those are just of the playable fighters, because between bosses, assist trophies, and stage hazards there are even more! 👀

Max is, without a doubt, the single most genuine person when it comes to these reveals. His reactions to these things are by far the most sincere he possibly can be.

I’ll never forget his thoughts on Steve and how it follows my mindset for every character previously and going forward. “Steve isn’t dream come true material for me, personally. But for a whole lot of people he is a dream come true. And that’s great.”

Max is, without a doubt, the single most genuine person when it comes to these reveals. His reactions to these things are by far the most sincere he possibly can be.

I’ll never forget his thoughts on Steve and how it follows my mindset for every character previously and going forward. “Steve isn’t dream come true material for me, personally. But for a whole lot of people he is a dream come true. And that’s great.”
That is honestly one reason why I often try to cover Max as I feel his reactions are the most honest and true. I’m not a fan of people flipping their, screaming, biting down on pillows, and throwing chairs and ****. It’s good to be ecstatic over a reveal but, for some, it’s just a performance. It’s one reason why I dislike reactions videos initially.

Thinking back on the start of Sephiroth's reveal trailer, seeing him 1-shotting Galeem does give the vibes of World of Light secret boss potential. For those who've played through FF VII know very well that Sephiroth CAN accomplish such a feat easy. Dang, now we've got quite the league of villains in Smash.
  • Bowser
  • King K. Rool
  • Ganondorf
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Wolf
  • Sephiroth
And those are just of the playable fighters, because between bosses, assist trophies, and stage hazards there are even more! 👀
You could also count Bowser Jr. and maybe Piranha plant (though he is a lot less intimidating than the others)

I just wanna gush about that trailer too, like omfg! Dude! This trailer was so hype! Easily the single best trailer done for Ultimate and overall the single best villain trailer in Smash bros. PERIOD! It really showed how villains are supposed to be handled! Powerful! Intimidating! Dominant! There was hardly a single moment that ever showed Sephiroth being less dominant than he should have been! The way they incorporated the CG with the gameplay focus was flawless and added so much to the trailer! Like how Sephiroth straight up kills Shulk and Mega-man in the gamplay footage, which immediately transitions to the aftermath in CG where he murders Bayonetta and Greninja. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! I love it! The all too obvious nods to Advent Children were also very cool, I really wish Mario got stabbed...

I wonder how they're gonna have him play like. Is he even gonna beable to run with that kind of reach?I didn't see him running in the trailers. Like, at all. Are they gonna make him OP? I hope they make him OP! Max brought up wanting to have Sephiroth as a DLC WoL boss battle, but I'm over here like; "Gimmie the Sephiroth we should've gotten in KH3!" I wanna be able to use/fight against a secret boss level opponent!

As a Sora supporter, the Mii costumes scare me, but I'm really looking forward to some of the FF7 stuff, like Zack Fair, or Angeal and Genesis. I already main the Mii fighters (except for Mii Gunner, but I'm working on him), so I wanna show off some Soldier first class swagger! Vincent has a really dope get-up too! He's pretty unlikely all things considered, but if we got him, I'd be more motivated to put effort into my Mii gunner! And maybe we could also get some other FF stuff, like a Leon outfit, or Jecht, or Tidus, or Terra... Y'know, could we just have the entire Dissidia cast but in Mii costumes? Like the PSP era Dissidia? Is it too much to ask that I get to pimp my Miis out with those fantastic designs?

I'm happy and still to say thank god it was not fortnite nor Jonesy thank god it was not a useless pic, However he's still in Play thanks to steve meanwhile Dante, Kos-Mos or Sora(Deconfirmed by sephiroth), etc are still out there(3 more pics)

Again thank you god fortnite is out of smash for now...............

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of me thinks that Omnislash Ver. 5 will only occur if Sephiroth is Cloud's attack target. It would basically be similar to how Fox uses different dialogue whenever his Team Star Fox Final Smash targets Wolf.

On a side note, it would be pretty interesting if Sephiroth's final opponent in Classic mode turns out to be Galeem; he would be unique for being the only fighter to face Galeem outside of Adventure mode.

Last edited:
I'm happy and still to say thank god it was not fortnite nor Jonesy thank god it was not a useless pic, However he's still in Play thanks to steve meanwhile Dante, Kos-Mos or Sora(Deconfirmed by sephiroth), etc are still out there(3 more pics)

Again thank you god fortnite is out of smash for now...............

And to show that poeple where expecting jonesy is just retarted....
Stop hating on Fortnite for five mintues please. We get that you dislike it and that's fine, but it's really annoying now that you've talked about it a million times. Please stop.

• Bowser
  • King K. Rool
  • Ganondorf
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Wolf
  • Sephiroth
now give us robotnik, sakurai

please

:(

Last edited:
I watched it too just to see him gush about how much it was awesome to have Sephiroth in Smash and defending him from the 'anime swordsperson' stereotype by mentioning he was the first to gain a lot of popularity. I am kinda looking forward to Sakurai's Sephiroth presentation because I want to see how he presents the history of Final Fantasy VII and what it means to video games.

I watched it too just to see him gush about how much it was awesome to have Sephiroth in Smash and defending him from the 'anime swordsperson' stereotype by mentioning he was the first to gain a lot of popularity. I am kinda looking forward to Sakurai's Sephiroth presentation because I want to see how he presents the history of Final Fantasy VII and what it means to video games.
i just wanna see what that beeg beeg sword does in smash

Top Bottom