• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Max Brass Commissions a Fight! - The ARMS League Commish Support Thread [Legendary Spirit!]

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Artwork by ShulkSmash as seen on the ARMS Reddit

With the strange way ARMS was confirmed to appear in Ultimate, as there are no real character being confirmed or denied, we could be getting anything, especially with the "mascot" being relegated to Assist Trophy status. With each character having a unique ability that makes them different to play as, anyone has a shot, including the commissioner of the ARMS League and grand champion of its prestigious Grand Prix, Max Brass himself!

Who is Max Brass?
As I just said, Max Brass is the commissioner of the ARMS League, meaning that he's the one organizing its Grand Prix so the premise of the game would likely not exist if it wasn't for him. In addition, he has also been its undefeated champion for several years, consistently proving that might makes right.

What can he bring to Smash?
Well, aside from the obvious fact that he has extendable arms, giving him great range in his attacks, Max Brass also brings a unique ability to swell up his muscle as he charges his arms, granting him enhanced strength, speed and even unflinchability against most ARMS for five seconds or until he receives a punch strong enough to send him to the ground... whichever happens first.

This ability of his blends itself perfectly with the mechanics of the game due to being an extension of the universal charge mechanic, making him a very simple character with an easy to understand risk-and-reward mechanic.

He also shares the same abilities Spring Man has, most notably the ability to be permanently charged up when his health is very low, giving him the ability to bounce back and maintain his status as the undefeated champ.

In addition, his default ARMS all have one overarching theme when they'e charged up; explosions. With the exception of his Roaster ARMS, which work as your typical fiery boxing glove, he has the Nade, a fist shaped like a grenade that can explode on contact, and the Kablammer, a hammer that creates explosions.

These explosive choices could really help make up for the fact that an ARMS fighter would very likely have a slow frame data in Smash due to their sheer range as Max's moves would be very strong.

In my opinion, simplicity is what would work best for Smash because the best way to represent ARMS through a moveset is to retain the simplistic yet deep nature of its gameplay. And Max Brass has the potential to mix uniqueness, simplicity and a really dynamic and explosive gameplay.

What about the other characters?
Just like Max Brass himself, I'm a good sport. Every character in ARMS' roster has something that can make them fun and unique in their own right, and if it's one of them instead of Max Brass, then I'd be cool with it because anyone can bring a fun and creative moveset... as long as it's not Spring Man because I don't even want to imagine how much the speculation scene would destroy itself over this.

Moveset
Fighter Ability 1 - Rush Gauge
As Max Brass receives and dishes out damage, a gauge near his artwork will fill.
Once the gauge is filled, his neutral special changes into Rush Attack, a long-range flurry of fists.
Based on how Rush attacks work in ARMS.

Fighter Ability 2 - Buffed Up
When performing certain moves, Max Brass will visually buff up for about 5 seconds, granting him enhanced strength, faster mobility across the board, flinch-resistant armor similar to Bowser's and even a passive damage reduction that removes a tenth of the damage from any move he receives.

His weight remains the same despite his bigger size, however, making him more susceptible to combos and kill setups.
Being knocked away by a strong enough move will shut down the ability, regardless of how much time it had left.
Based on his main ability in ARMS.

Fighter Ability 2.5 - Fighting Spirit
When Max Brass has over 100% damage or 25% of his starting HP in Stamina matches, his Buffed Up ability will become a permanently passive one until he is KO'd, meaning his ARMS will always be in a charged state and he will always benefit of the boosts given by his buffed state.
Based on one of his abilities, which he shares with Spring Man. But unlike in ARMS, his charging special changes in order for it to not lose most of its utility.

Fighter Ability 3 - One on One
While not a traditional fighting game by any means, ARMS still forces your character to face their opponent(s).
To reflect this, Max Brass will always face his opponent in 1v1s, just like Ryu, Ken and Terry.
Neutral Special - Nade / Rush Attack
Nade
Max Brass's ARMS change into the grenade-shaped Nades before he performs a punch with his right ARM.
The longer the button is held, the further the punch goes, which can be angled even as it travels.

Pressing the special button while the punch is either active or stopped will make Max Brass throw out a second punch.
Doing so removes you the ability to control the first punch, instead controlling the second, for simplicity.

If an attack that deals equal damage of more than Nade clashes with the traveling punch, the latter will be stopped.
However, the charged variant will still cause an explosion when stopped.

When enhanced with Charge ARMS, the punches will cause strong explosions that deal a lot of damage and knockback, on top of traveling slightly faster.
Neither the charged or uncharged variants can be performed on the ground when the Rush Gauge is full, but can still be performed airborne.

Inspired by the core gameplay of ARMS. Can be reflected. Moves faster when ARMS are charged.
The Nades are one of Max Brass' default ARMS, alongside the Roasters and Kablammers.

Rush Attack
Once the Rush Gauge is filled (see fighter abilities), Max Brass can unleash a Rush Attack, unleashing a flurry of fists in front of him for massive damage, with the final hit dealing a lot of knockback. The entire move is performed even if whiffed, and can be interrupted by enemy attacks at any point.
The Rush Gauge is drained out on the very frame the move is inputted, so getting hit before the first punch is even done will still leave the gauge empty.

Cannot be reflected and while it can be shielded, the final hit is a guaranteed shield break.
Only works on the ground. Attempting it in the air will do Nade instead.
Based on the Rush Attacks in ARMS.

Side Special - Max Grapple
Both of Max Brass' ARMS move forward, the belts of his arms glowing a light green color when doing so, grabbing whoever gets in the way, pulling them towards him. However, only the fists themselves can grab, everything else being a blind spot. The longest grab in Ultimate's roster, but also the slowest.

Unlike other grabs, this one can be angled before and while the ARMS extend, though the direction doesn't shift much while the ARMS are already moving. In addition, any attack connecting with it will stop the grab regardless of how much damage said attack deals. It is NOT a tether recovery despite being a tether grab with great range (similar to Luigi's Poltergust) and it cannot enhanced by Charge ARMS.

Once Max Brass is right in front of the foe, he makes them bounce off of his chest by buffing it up and then punching them away.
Weak damage and knockback, but activates the Buffed Up ability. Based on his grab in ARMS.

Up Special - Para-Soar
Max Brass spins around while soaring upwards, his ARMS raised upwards and changed into the Parasol ARMS.
Once he's done soaring, he takes a pose and then starts chanting his name repeatedly while taking on more poses and falling very slowly.

After a few seconds or by pressing down on the control stick, he will be in a freefall state. Can also be cancelled into any aerial attack, special or air dodge.
Doesn't go very high, but is a strong multi-hit attack with high kill potential and quick startup due to its lack of range.
Inspired by what he does after the Dr. Coyle boss fight in ARMS.

Down Special - Charge ARMS / Brass Power Strike
Charge ARMS
Max Brass takes a charging pose. Holding it long enough will get his ARMS charged up, giving them fire properties, making the ARMS move faster in certain moves as well as increasing the damage and knockback on any move involving his ARMS (except throws), for about a second.

Like some other chargeable moves, this is cancellable by shielding, jumping or dodging sideways. However, a partial charge cannot be stored that way, only a full charge can as the ARMS would already be enhanced. Doing the move again, even when the ARMS are charged, would start from the beginning.
Based on the charge mechanic shared by all characters in ARMS.

Holding it even longer than required to charge the ARMS will activate the Buffed Up ability, with the ARMS remaining charged as long as Max is buffed up.
The actual buffing animation can be cancelled, but doing so will also cancel the Buffed Up ability from triggering.
It needs to be done in its entirety to activate the ability, which leaves him open to enemy attacks for around a full second.

When the Fighting Spirit ability is activated, this move is no longer accessible.
Charging ARMS can also be done by holding shield or dodging, just like in ARMS, but neither of those options will activate the Buffed Up ability.
It is also impossible for Max Brass to charge his ARMS while airborne, meaning that he effectively has no aerial down special.

Brass Power Strike
Max Brass takes on the same pose as Charge ARMS by holding the button. When the button is released, he creates a large horizontal shockwave. Anyone
trapped within that shockwave will receive flinching damage and projectiles within that perimeter will be cancelled entirely.

If the shockwave dealt damage to someone, an additional input of the special button makes him wind up and release a powerful punch, essentially working like a manually-triggered counterattack. However, unlike counters, the damage doesn't scale with the opposing attack.
Very loosely inspired by the shockwave that he, Spring Man and Springtron can create when releasing a charge in ARMS.

This variant of Max Brass' neutral special is only available when the Fighting Spirit ability is active.

Final Smash - Max Brass Slam Rush
Max Brass performs a long-ranged punch. If it connects, he and the foe will be transported in the same court where the Hoops minigame happens.
Max Brass will then follow up with a series of rapid punches before a powerful finishing punch sending them to the springs at the court's sides to bounce towards the net. He then grabs the foe and pulls them towards him, leaping up with them and going straight for an explosive slam dunk at the court's net.

The entire thing is a cutscene-type Final Smash that can only target a single foe, much like Incineroar's Max Malicious Moonsault.
After said cutscene is over, an explosion sends the opponent flying off with great strength.
A combination of the Rush attacks and the Hoops minigame.
Grounded Attacks
Jab:
Max Brass performs a straight punch, then a gut punch, the ends with an downward hook that sends diagonally while looking at the audience (aka the players)

All hits have their damage enhanced by Charge ARMS, but only the hook deals more knockback.

Forward tilt:
Max Brass perfoms a long-ranged punch (about two thirds of the Spring Man assist's punches) with his left ARM.
Can be inputted a second time for a right punch that has more range and knockback at any point after initiating the first punch.

Both punches are enhanced by Charge ARMS, but can only connect into each other when uncharged.
Moves faster when ARMS are charged. Can be tilted, but also reflected.

Up tilt:
Max Brass performs a standing uppercut. Fairly quick startup, but has little range relative to his moveset.
However, a second input of the attack button will make Max Brass perform a jumping, spinning uppercut that can deal a lot of knockback.
Based on the animation of Spring Man's throw in ARMS.

Down tilt:
Max Brass does a downward hook punch. Little range relative to his moveset.
Slower startup than up tilt (albeit still relatively fast), but the knockback angle and fast endlag makes it a more consistent combo starter.
Based on his official artwork.

Dash attack:
Max Brass puffs his his chest while leaping in front of him.
Similar to K. Rool's dash attack, except he doesn't fall on the ground.

Enhanced by the Buffed Up ability rather than Charge ARMS due to lack of ARMS in the move.
Has a larger hitbox and heavy armor when the Buffed Up ability is active.

Smash Attacks
Forward smash:
One of Max Brass' ARMS switches to the Kablammer ARM before hammer punching (pun intended) forward.
Enhancing this move with Charge ARMS allows it to create an explosion on impact.
The Kablammer is one of his three default ARMS, along with the Roaster and the Nade.

Up smash:
One of Max Brass' ARMS switches to the Kablammer ARM before swiping it above him in an arc.
Enhancing this move with Charge ARMS allows it to create an explosion on impact.

Down smash:
One of Max Brass' ARMS switches to the Kablammer ARM before being slammed down in front of him, similar to how Hammer ARMS work in his game.
One of the rare down smash attacks that lack any hitbox behind the character.
Aerial Attacks
Neutral aerial:
Max Brass spins around, curled into a ball, before performing a splash attack while expanding his chest area.
Huge hitbox that covers his entire body and reliably quick ending lag, but takes a little bit of time to start.

Enhanced by the Buffed Up ability rather than Charge ARMS due to lack of ARMS in the move.
Has a larger hitbox and heavy armor when the Buffed Up ability is active.

Forward aerial:
Max Brass perfoms long-ranged punch (about half of the Spring Man assist's punches) with his left ARM.
Can be inputted a second time for a right punch that has more range and knockback at any point after initiating the first punch.

Both punches are enhanced by Charge ARMS, but can only connect into each other when uncharged.
Moves faster when ARMS are charged. Can be tilted, but also reflected.

Back aerial:
Max Brass turns around and does a delayed downward punch behind him.
Has a meteor sweetspot, but only if the move is enhanced with Charge ARMS.

Up aerial:
Max Brass performs an upward arcing hook. Fairly quick, but with relatively low range and power. Can be used for juggles.
Enhancing with Charge ARMS simply adds more damage.

Down aerial:
Max Brass performs a downward punch that extends a bit (a bit less than forward air).
Has a meteor sweetspot on its earlier frames on and sends diagonally upwards after the meteor hitboxes vanish.

When the ARMS are charged, the punches move faster and there meteor hitboxes for the entire move's duration, although it weakens after a few frames.
Can be reflected, but doing so disables the meteor hitboxes.
Grab and Throws
Grab:
Max Brass grabs the opponent in a clinch hold.

Pummel:
Max Brass headbutts his opponent.

Forward throw:
Max Brass Pulls them towards his chest before making them bounce off of it.
Loosely based on the first hit of his throw.

Back throw:
Max Brass spins around before throwing the foe forwards. His strongest throw in terms of knockback.
Based on Ribbon Girl's grab.

Up throw:
Max Brass launches the foe upwards with the strength of both of his ARMS. Functions as a combo throw at low percents.
Looks similar to caber tossing.

Down throw:
Max Brass leaps up with the grabbed foe, spinning around with them and then slams them down. His most damaging throw.
Based on Master Mummy's grab as well as the slam dunk from the Hoops minigame.

Miscellaneous Attacks
Getup options:
All of Max Brass' getup options (attack, roll, etc.) are identical to Little Mac's but with more range.

Edge attack:
Max Brass punches forward. Has decent range.
Taunts
Up taunt:
Max Brass performs his victory animation when winning a round in ARMS.

Side taunt:
Max Brass takes on a pose with his back ARM flexed and his front ARM extended forward while yelling "YES!"
Based on the ending cutscene after the Dr. Coyle boss fight.

Down taunt:
Max Brass raises his ARMS and flexes them while yelling "YEAAAAH!"
Based on the ending cutscene after the Dr. Coyle boss fight.

Dodges
All dodges are based on the dashes in ARMS when it comes to their animations.

Victory Poses
Max Brass' first two victory poses are a direct copy of the ones he has in ARMS, complete with the same choice of voice lines.

The third one is based on when you complete the Grand Prix as Max Brass, with a very similar animation, camera work and voice line.

Entrance
Max Brass is already standing on the ring, ARMS crossed as he laughs.
Based on the cutscene prior to the Dr. Coyle boss fight.
Everything else I forgot
Coming eventually?

Max Brass Fan Club

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
sign me up

so excited for the potential an ARMS rep can bring to the table, and Max Brass is no different

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I play a lot of Max Brass in ARMS and think he would be a swell addition. Count me in!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well hes not the top of my list of arms character but id still be pretty happy to play as him in smash so put down as a supporter if you wouldnt mine

hes like playing as a puffer fish

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
I don't see Mechanica having much of a chance, so add me to the list

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Now I 100% believe there is no way the ARMS character isn't Springman or a Hero situation with Springman as the default, however, it's literally impossible not to love the commish. I support Max Brass all day every day.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
You couldn't hate this guy even if you try. Sign me up too. Just don't tell Dr. Coyle I said that.

Edit: btw, you guys think he should have an ability to slowly float down with umbrellas and the longer he stays in the air, the more he poses and chants his name like this? That would be amusing.

Last edited:

SmashBrah

Smash Rookie
NNID
ForrestAnthony
I'll always be Team Spring Man, but if the devs are too devoid of brain cells to turn Spring Man's assist trophy into Spring Tron in order to let Spring Man become the fighter, I will gladly accept the champ- max brass- Max Brass- MAAAAX BRAAAASSSS!

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
My best friend's main and a badass in general, i really like this handsome chad of a man.
His close relationship with Dr. Coyle could perhaps be represented in his moveset ?

Anyways, i upport Max Brass for smash, long live the champ !

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll always be Team Spring Man, but if the devs are too devoid of brain cells to turn Spring Man's assist trophy into Spring Tron in order to let Spring Man become the fighter, I will gladly accept the champ- max brass- Max Brass- MAAAAX BRAAAASSSS!
it would probably be the smaller dev team and the international health pandemic thatd prevent them from doing such a thing

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Now, I'd be happy with anyone of the ARMS characters to make it in, but if it was Max Brass, hoh boy, would I be very VERY excited. Sign me up for The Commish.

What if his trailer started where Incineroar's left off, and Incineroar got thrown into the screen as well, The Commish has come to claim his title as king of the arena. And of course, with his theme getting a rad rearrangement:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, people find him boring and I don't think so??
Being fair, if you take a surface level approach, he basically just copies Spring Man's gimmicks and it's not very "unique".

But if you actually go beyond surface level. that buffing mechanic of his could make for a damn good gameplay if done right.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You couldn't hate this guy even if you try. Sign me up too. Just don't tell Dr. Coyle I said that.

Edit: btw, you guys think he should have an ability to slowly float down with umbrellas and the longer he stays in the air, the more he poses and chants his name like this? That would be amusing.
Oh **** yeah! I literally did not know this was a thing. Sign me up as a supporter just for this:) Officially the best ARMS character.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Did my best to whip up a moveset. It probably sucks, but hey, it's something :lol:

Oh **** yeah! I literally did not know this was a thing. Sign me up as a supporter just for this:) Officially the best ARMS character.
You'll see it if you beat Dr. Coyle in Grand Prix. It's a lot more glorious in action than it is in words :p

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If not in the moveset, it NEEDS to be either an entrance or a victory screen thing.

Basically, it needs to be there in some capacity :p
I feel like it fits best as a victory screen by far. And he could keep posing and chanting his name on a loop kind of similar to that one Simon victory screen where he keeps jumping with the whip.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
While not my #1 pick for the ARMS rep, come on, it's freaking Max Brass. Who in their right mind could not want this guy? Definitely supporting, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Somehow I missed this thread. While I run four other ARMS threads, I think the Commish is one of the best choices for the Smash representative.

He'd bring the boxing of Little Mac, the build of Incineroar, the range of the Belmonts and the Hype of Captain Falcon all together in one place.
Plus, one of his default ARMS is a pineapple Grenade, who can hate that?

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Max would probably be the best ARMS rep* -- he's definitely better looking than toothpastehead, and has a few extra tricks while still representing the core mechanics of ARMS as well as anyone.

*that doesn't promote a ramen restaurant

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
He'd bring the boxing of Little Mac, the build of Incineroar, the range of the Belmonts and the Hype of Captain Falcon all together in one place.
Plus, one of his default ARMS is a pineapple Grenade, who can hate that?
You forgot he'd have the build of DK when buffed :p

But yes, I agree

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
Personally, due to the series lore: I think Max Brass would be the best choice for a character.

I’ve seen people associate Max as the “villain” of the series and that’s furthest thing. He’s cocky yes, but he’s also the leader of the Arms league. Dr. Coyle is the series villain.

Top Bottom