• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Survey

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
you might want to define what you intend the ratios to mean. as in, what does a 60:40 versus 65:35 matchup entail?

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
out of 100 games between two evenly skilled players, this character will win 65 times vs the opponent's 35 wins
my problem with this definition has always been that if one character wins, they should always win, unless there's variation for some reason

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
i've seen where these threads go enough times to know it's best to just get the question out of the way early. anyone remember that thread that had half of the people doing +1/2/3 and the other half doing 60:40 ****, with no one agreeing even within their chosen metric? total nightmare

syPHILys

Smash Cadet
my problem with this definition has always been that if one character wins, they should always win, unless there's variation for some reason

So your best smash friend who you play with, you are probably even skilled with him, your main vs his main, one person wins 100% of the time? or is it 40% or 45% tilted in one direction?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Yes one character would win every time if real matches are TAS and every single move and input is mapped out and the game is solved so you know every possible outcome from every single possible path the game can take.

Yes of course there is variation.

sextc

Smash Rookie
I'm going to close this soon and make a chart. I have close to the 30 responses so far.I'll wait until this weekend sometime. Thanks guys!

Shears

Smash Master
I'm going to close this soon and make a chart. I have close to the 30 responses so far.I'll wait until this weekend sometime. Thanks guys!
You should get the usernames of each person who submitted a chart and wait for some higher level players to contribute, there is a difference between having quality and quantity.

sextc

Smash Rookie
I know most of the people who contributed, and it's safe to say that 3 quarters of the MUs are unanimous.
For the high deviation MUs I will be asking specific players for their input.

Thank you to everyone who answered who I haven't thanked personally. :)

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
An interesting experiment would be to gather the usernames and their respective MU submission, then hold a discussion that covered every MU over a predetermined period of time, and then host another survey to see what kind of deviation occurred with the new data. New players could be more welcome this way.

Rant below (feel free to ignore it):

To beat a dead horse, high level players != good opinions. Their opinions may seem like the absolute truth but we've been shown time-and-time again that even within the top players, outlying opinions exist on many topics. Player bias is still an issue no matter how regarded that person's skill is. Also, top players still perform better in certain MUs(which definitely affects their opinions on the MU percentage) so having a low quantity of survey results is going to skew the data more-so than ALL competitive levels of skill being counted, casuals are excluded.

A lot of players base their MU opinions on tournament matches uploaded to YouTube and discussion on Smashboards so it's not like everyone just has an opinion based solely on their own gameplay and sparse tournament experience. We still watch top level play. Please don't act like we're knowledge-less and don't deserve to be heard.

Top Bottom