• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Specific Option Deconstruction - How to Grab Things

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I. Intro:
I am generally unhappy with how most of the community examines their matchups. Every matchup thread turns into some sort of theorycraft RPS of:

- Use Option A
- I get punished when I try Option A. Use Option B instead
- I don't get punished when I use Option A, so you must be doing it wrong.
- Player 1 is bad at the matchup, Player 2 is better and he punishes Option A
- Giant CF of rage and drama and bruised egos

Rather than getting into the subjective features, I'm going to take a step back and forget everything we pretend to "know". This means, I'm going to ignore conventional wisdom on whether we have advantage/disadvantage/even matchups with a character. I'm also going to ignore past perceived notions on how to play a matchup.

In this thread, I will be looking specifically at a specific opponents option and will begin to determine from a game mechanic and data standpoint the ideal method of punishment in terms of how to net a grab, if we can net a grab.

II. Procedure

TBD

III. What this thread will not be

I will not be looking into what is practical from a matchup standpoint. That is not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is to remove our self placed restrictions of our option pool and strictly denote what options we find that are possible from a game mechanic stand point.

We will not be going into specifically how to play a match up on a macro level, but on a purely micro level. For example: "We beat Olimar because he can't get through blizzard wall" is not good examination. On the other hand "Ike's Jab is punishable by shield grab because it has a -12 frame advantage on shield with only X IGU's of disjoint while our grab is X units of disjoint. However, it is not punishable by spot dodge to grab or shield drop to dash grab because of the frame advantage," is closer in line to the goal of this thread.

IV. FAQ

Q: Aren't there more variable to be considered than just frame advantage?
A: Yes, I'll be using Toomai's hitbox repository in combination with Amazing Ampharos's Internal Character Mechanic Values thread to cover as many variables as possible. I will also be using in game frame testing to help confirm what the math says is possible.

Q: Can I request a specific option?
A: Yes, but until my main resources (see above) complete their specific research, my answers may not be as complete as I would like them to be. I also reserve the right to deny specific requests at my own whim.

Q: Can I help with this project?
A: Skype me if you'd like to be involved

Q: I don't main ICs and would like to take on something similar with my character. Where do I start?
A: We'll talk on skype ;)

DeLux

Option being Deconstructed: TBD

[collapse="Archive of Deconstructions"]Updated as needed[/collapse]

DeLux

Sort of a Good News and Bad News Post:

I'll start with the bad news first. There isn't any reasonable shield push formula (it's suspected it's derived from the knockback formula which also hasn't been figured out) so I'm not going to be able to theorycraft the answers for this kind of testing on a purely mathematical level. I wish I could have because I would have knocked out this entire thing in a week. Now it'll take months.

Good news: I still can frame test things in terms of possibility and sort of give approximations based on the frame testing.

Good news in terms of procedures: I think I've decided how I'm going to classify things, and I'll look at things in terms of frame break down first to eliminate the need for testing on spacing in terms of real game stuff, and then slowly make my way through testing the list.

Bad News: I haven't derived a plan of attack on how to test Aerials atm. They are going to be much more complicated and time consuming than grounded moves I am sure.

DeLux

I am under the impression I've figured out a reliable procedure to test for aerials.

Project will be getting underway shortly

DeLux

So not to john, I had a spread sheet with like MK and TL done

However, I lost my laptop in an apex accident, and don't have it anymore.

I remember sending that spreadsheet to someone, but I don't remember who it was. If you could come forward so I don't have to restart from scratch, please do :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Delux, please. This thread has amazing potential.
If you can't get those 2 spreadsheets yet, why not do another character first?
I would love to see something like this. Many times I just go for a grab even if I have no idea if it's actually possible.

Roller

Smash Legend
I personally would be most interested in seeing Peach, Marth, and Rob. As those are the characters I have the smallest inkling of what is punishable with grab out of the entire cast. Moreso Peach and Marth.

**** Peach.

DeLux

Given most of my anti-MK gameplan includes specifically baiting for rising dair, FH Fair, landing aerials, and tilts, I can safely say they are all punishable

Uair from below is not so punishable.

Roller

Smash Legend
Wait, do you have a way to punish rising dair other than with the typical uair? Or is it just exactly how you should be spacing/timing the uair or w/e? Or does nair work or something? gahhh I want this thread's info so badlyyy.

DeLux

If they aerial FH or aerial jump dair your shield, you have a guaranteed weak hit box buffered FH Uair. Weak hitbox combos into footstool between like 15-35 percent (forget exacts, EA would know) barring absurd SDI.

If they are spaced horizontally to where you can't hit them with Uair, then you punish them by walking directly under neath them and make a huge tactical zoning battle gain. Or you can roll away under a platform to be safe.

Top Bottom