• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Help vs Inklings

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Hi all,

I've been really enjoying Mewtwo in Ultimate, with the exception of a few matchups, specifically Pichu and Inklings. I actually don't think I've won a single game against Inklings as Mewtwo. Any tips on how to deal with the annoying little squids?

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
At Genesis 6, SDX beat Abadango's Inkling with Mewtwo, 3 games to 2. Abadango also played Mewtwo in Smash4, so he's decently familiar with the matchup and still lost.

There are a lot of good examples on how to recover, edguard and KO against an Inkling, as well how to play neutral and deal with the splat bomb.

As far as your other matchup issue, SDX's Mewtwo also took out Nakat's Pichu on stream at this tournament in a 2-0 sweep:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
At Genesis 6, SDX beat Abadango's Inkling with Mewtwo, 3 games to 2. Abadango also played Mewtwo in Smash4, so he's decently familiar with the matchup and still lost.

There are a lot of good examples on how to recover, edguard and KO against an Inkling, as well how to play neutral and deal with the splat bomb.

As far as your other matchup issue, SDX's Mewtwo also took out Nakat's Pichu on stream at this tournament in a 2-0 sweep:

Thanks for these two videos, I'd looked around online a bit but didn't find these ones.

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo's grounded options are good against short characters so the matchup with inkling and pichu isn't nearly as annoying if you stay on the ground in neutral. With inkling I've had some good success with going off stage to edge guard, you can drop real low and still make it back and despite inkling have a super long recovery it is pretty predictable (or at least it is with the inklings I've played) so offstage bair can get you some early kills.

With pichu it's harder, I'm at the point of not going for the edge guard with pichu/pikachu most of the time and trying to ledge trap instead. Both lightning pokemon have that easy pull-back fair that's safe on shield and it messes me up pretty bad.

P.S. I love watching SDX's mewtwo and there's definitely some stuff I've picked up from it, but I have no idea how the man does those down smash two frames. I have tried many a time and don't think I've hit a single one. It looks so damn cool when it works too.

Top Bottom