• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion: Peach

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't know this match-up too well but if you have trouble with her floating dair try walking utilt against it.

:059:

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
A shenanigan she can do with her dair. If she pulls out a Mr.Saturn, she can use it to make her dair last longer. Someone I know started playing Peach recently, so hopefully I'll be able to learn some of the things from the match up.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I like to use toad against Marios who like to use fireball as an approach. Also when your in doubt and you're right next to peach, use a short hop dair. It works wonders against peach in this matchup.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You lose this match-up when you forget that she outprioritizes EVERYTHING that you're doing, going to do, and are planning to do later on.

Play extremely safe. Abuse OOS options like a street-walking *****. Don't approach predictably (or at all if you don't need to...), meaning switch between aerial approaches, fireball rushdown, and normal mario mix-ups constantly.

And fludd if you know how to use it against her. It's best used when the peach player is just trying to zone right outside of your range. Screw up her spacing and react accordingly.

Just rack dmg while she's offstage...don't go for anything silly. Safe damage, primarily fireballs.

Don't fall for turnip mindgames. They will not always throw them directly at you...sometimes they'll glidetoss to get close, then just grab you or something. Just remember her options.

Doable match-up...55:45 peach...possible 60:40...but it honestly isn't bad if u play it right.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I like this matchup a lot. Generally as long as you have solid recovery skills and don't waste smashes mindlessly, you should usually survive longer in this matchup simply because Peach's KO moves, specifically F-air and F/U smash are pretty easy to avoid. She'll probably KO you with N-air or B-air at high percents if you're good at playing safely, while you can KO her at around 115 with uncharged U-smash, about 135 with D-smash. F-smash is also really good in this matchup for its sheer range. Whether you kill with it or use it for raw damage is up to you, but you should always keep in mind that it's an option.

Her D-air is kinda hard to challenge, although you can Up-B OOS against it, or SDI and B-air/U-air her out of it for a favorable trade. U-tilt is pretty good against it like Gheb mentioned. Don't waste U-smash on it.

Peach is also one of few characters you can hit confirm into reverse Up-smash out of Jab cancel. You have to sweetspot both Jabs for that to work. Either way, Jab cancels are really useful in this matchup due to the amazing juggle potential you get in this matchup. 20 damage from Jabs -> D-smash is pretty awesome as well, and it can be used to help score KOs.

The last thing I like about this matchup is that Peach's physics are pretty ideal for juggling. She's floaty, not excessively lightweight, and her midair jump is pretty weak, and her juggle breaking options (N-air/D-air) generally lose to U-tilt.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Pretty much what Matador and A2 said

If you don't think your Bair will hit Peach then don't use it - you just offer her your hitbox for her to Fair or Bair. Cape demolishes Toad - abuse this if Peach enjoys using Toad for recovery. Stutter step F Smashes, camping with Fireballs and Bair are your friends imo. Mario's Up Smash can also be quite frightening when Peach is trying to space her aerials. Up + B OoS will punish misspaced moves

Something cool you could try (Lucario can do this, I think Mario can aswell) is that if Peach is trying to approach/bait you with her Float, you can walk away from her and then Stutter Step your F Smash into her if she tries to recklessly get an aerial in. You can also mix this up by Bairing her (just watch you don't get caught under a Dair if she's using it)

You can do this to Peach on the ledge for a quick kill - if she decides to ledge hop a Fair, just move out of the way and Stutter step an F Smash in her face

Camp and play smart. Punish what you can and don't take risks

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What percent does utilt kill peach?

I've come to rely on utilt for kills now...helps me not force unsafe kill moves and get punished for em...

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
148 on FD fresh without DI
160 on FD while DI'ing towards Mario, which i think is the right way to DI it

Same thing on BF

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
The likelihood that you're going to get a good utilt off on Peach is rather slim, honestly. If you feel like you can get an utilt off, then I dunno... go for it? I just think there are more reliable ways to get the kill on her. What Matador pretty much applies for what I think the MU is. I've tried it the way that A2 suggested it (against Roan no less) and it didn't work for me, but if you think that it's the way you can/should, you should go for it.

Quivo (doesn't main) and Rowan have a pair of the most technical Peaches I've ever played and I think I've played every notable MW peach sans maybe Mikey and I always found myself having to weather out two-or three move strings or punishing before if I wanted to do something. I'm sure Mario loses to Peach in just about every front in the MU. Onstage, offstage and in trades, but it's still a manageable matchup.

Neutral: Disadv.
Mario CP: Disadv.
Peach CP: Disadv.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The likelihood that you're going to get a good utilt off on Peach is rather slim, honestly. If you feel like you can get an utilt off, then I dunno... go for it? I just think there are more reliable ways to get the kill on her. What Matador pretty much applies for what I think the MU is. I've tried it the way that A2 suggested it (against Roan no less) and it didn't work for me, but if you think that it's the way you can/should, you should go for it.
Yeah, haven't tried utilt KOs on peach, so I'm unsure of how effective it'd be. I'll give it a whirl next time I play against one, if only to affirm what you think of it.

@ Jux: thanks for the testing :)

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I've played Kyon on several occasions in tourney. I just can't figure him out, but then again I lose to other Peaches as well. Since I'm pretty bad at this MU, I can tell you what NOT to do.

Don't let Peach pressure you. A good tactic I've seen Peaches do is space a short hopped fair, autocancel it, and follow up with her 2 frame jab. It's pretty hard to punish.

Don't eat a dair. This move along with fair will be the moves you see the most in the matchup from Peach (at least it's the moves I see the most, personally). You can up b OOS it, but I believe it'll only work on the first hit of the dair. If you get caught in it, you can SDI out and up air or bair her.

Don't get aggressive offstage. I know you see her floating there, just waiting to be spiked. It's just not worth it though. Fireballs are your best friend against her offstage.

Don't DI her fair badly. If you're expecting a fair, be sure to DI up (though up and diagonally towards the stage would be better). If you don't DI at least up, be prepared to get sent almost horizontally out and probably gimped even at low percents. Also, not sure if this is known, but angling your shield up will help you from getting hit against her fair.

Don't let her get the lead!! If Peach gets a lead on you, it will only make this MU tougher. Once she has a lead, she can camp with turnips pretty well. It can be very difficult to overcome a deficit against Peach so try to take that first stock instead.

That's all I got for now.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
This is a good mu to learn. Haven't played against peach players in awhile.
I know one offline though.

steep

Smash Lord
Another thing you have to look out for is u-air juggling. If peach gets you on a platform and she starts u-airing you from below, DI out of it or do SOMETHING. Rowan u-air juggled me to 92% in one of the matches I played against him at GP Affiars 2. I am terrible at this match-up, so I realize that better marios than me won't get juggled that long, but I just wanted to point out another threat to mario that doesn't seem to be mentioned very often.

vato_break

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIPHmjuCadw Here's a match vs. a good wifi peach.

I don't really know this matchup well but, i'll share what i know. i think bair is good and OoS stuff is a must. I think if you have the lead there is no need to approach, so if there are platform camp from those, and when i say camp i mean camp for the sake of an opening not for the sake of samage building, you cannot win this matchup with fireballs only. Use FH/DJ Fireball to hit her out of her jump. Also Bair is prettymuch faster than all here stuff. She also has a good Nair OoS so don't be careless about that(I.E if you SH dair,DJ away or land behind her, Use Dooplewalk/RAR retreating bair to avoid getting your bair punished when hitting her sheild OR space it really well). Oh yeah if you see her floating Fludd her away, it resets the neutral position and you can camp more from there as you are put at no risk.

You can't really kill her either for the exception of Upsmash OoS. If you can use fsmash at early percent to deal damage because its not very useful in this matchup imo(because of the way peach spaces it's generally hard to kill with this, only way i see it being done is if you fsmash her before she hits you with fair, angled down from a platform, or punishing her ledge options). Gimping peach is pretty difficult but, there are two reliable ways to do it: 1) You read her jump and you spike her(don't go for this unless she is over 50-60%) and 2) Using over 100% invisibilty frames from ledge get up, you have to time this correctly though. You can also use invisibility frames to nair to gimp her but, you have to do it almost at the last second and it is kinda risky.

as for a counter pick i would go rainbow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3aA4-bAF4

this matchp is definately not in marios favor but, if you play intelligently enough, it's winnable.

EDIT: Upthrow peach, if she comes down with a dair it's a free UpB , if she toads free cape, she airdodges it's a free sweet spot nair and ect.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Just a tip that I learned from playing a Peach. DO NOT TAKE HER TO BF! I played a Peach in tourney in October. Close games 1 and 2. Game 3 I got destroyed on BF because she did a lot of platform tricks that I couldn't figure out how to punish. I guess most things have been said. Nothing has really changed about this MU. It's 55:45 Peach's favor. Same as it's always been.

lilchrome850

Smash Rookie
watch out for her wavedash type thing. she can pull out nairs for the kill. As silly as it may aound fight a lvl 9 peach. you may see what im saying.

NNID
LilG912
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIPHmjuCadw Here's a match vs. a good wifi peach.

I don't really know this matchup well but, i'll share what i know. i think bair is good and OoS stuff is a must. I think if you have the lead there is no need to approach, so if there are platform camp from those, and when i say camp i mean camp for the sake of an opening not for the sake of samage building, you cannot win this matchup with fireballs only. Use FH/DJ Fireball to hit her out of her jump. Also Bair is prettymuch faster than all here stuff. She also has a good Nair OoS so don't be careless about that(I.E if you SH dair,DJ away or land behind her, Use Dooplewalk/RAR retreating bair to avoid getting your bair punished when hitting her sheild OR space it really well). Oh yeah if you see her floating Fludd her away, it resets the neutral position and you can camp more from there as you are put at no risk.

You can't really kill her either for the exception of Upsmash OoS. If you can use fsmash at early percent to deal damage because its not very useful in this matchup imo(because of the way peach spaces it's generally hard to kill with this, only way i see it being done is if you fsmash her before she hits you with fair, angled down from a platform, or punishing her ledge options). Gimping peach is pretty difficult but, there are two reliable ways to do it: 1) You read her jump and you spike her(don't go for this unless she is over 50-60%) and 2) Using over 100% invisibilty frames from ledge get up, you have to time this correctly though. You can also use invisibility frames to nair to gimp her but, you have to do it almost at the last second and it is kinda risky.

as for a counter pick i would go rainbow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3aA4-bAF4

this matchp is definately not in marios favor but, if you play intelligently enough, it's winnable.

EDIT: Upthrow peach, if she comes down with a dair it's a free UpB , if she toads free cape, she airdodges it's a free sweet spot nair and ect.
wow I didnt know that up b beats peach's dair..

Top Bottom