• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion: Fox

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just saying, if there is a matchup where Up-B is underused (besides vs Bowser), it's vs Fox.

I'm pretty serious. Generally if you shield an aerial from Fox, since he doesn't have much range, he's usually going to be in range of that (turnaround Up-B OOS if he does a crossover obviously). Also, your Up-B is a pretty good option for countering his shinestalling onstage due to its huge vertical range.

I'm not saying you don't have other options, but free situational damage from a different source other than Mario's bread and butter damage dealers is very very helpful.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Hear that Inferno?

He says you need more training with Mario to cape illusion :awesome:
Lol. Just saying, I don't think it's possible to cape on reaction. I know you can do it on a read. I remember trying it. I did it at 1/4 speed (slow enough so I could do an illusion then switch to cape lol)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah Cape is a tad too slow to really pull off on reaction to Fox's SideB, similarly FLUDD on the spacies SideBs requires a good read as well. However I do think it's potentially feasible for a Mario user to react to Illusion with either an aerial or edgehog if you're on point. This is assuming you have around a 12 frame reaction time, given that Fox's Illusion starts up in about 21 frames, about 4 or so frames slower than Falco's.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
In response to illusion of both varieties, roll backwards with it if you don't think you can cape/nair it (also, I'm sure if you're able to cape at close distances and aren't facing the illusion/fantasm, you can cape them backwards).

It puts you in prime position for a punish. When I vs'd Clowsui's Falco I did a good read on it and got a free smash, even though he controlled the set anyway. I will say that I did miss the read a handful of times.

FoxFatal

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I seem to get my cape whiffed when I attempt to stop a Fire Fox. I mean even if I do manage to successfully cape, I still get damaged. What's the proper timing for that?

Top Bottom