• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion #3: Roy vs Luigi

Skippi

Smash Rookie
Hello Roy smashers!

Last discussion can be found here.

Welcome to our third matchup thread. This week we'll be discussing about Luigi, Mario's classic brother.

General Ideas:

* Favorability (100 to 0, 80 to 20, 50 to 50, etc.)
* Neutral Game
* Punish Game
* Edgeguarding

Character specific ideas:

Countering Approaches
* How might a new Roy deal with Luigi's Fireballs?
* Should a Roy player be enforcing more defensive DED usage in the Luigi matchup?
* Are making reads on Luigi's wavedashes practical?
* Would interrupting Luigi's wavedashes with sporadic jabs/DED be effective?

Countering Defenses
* What should a new Roy know about Luigi's N-Air?
* Luigi is very floaty and N-Air happy. Would a "heavy poking into finisher" playstyle be more helpful rather than a "combo" playstyle?
* Is Counter even remotely useful in the Luigi Matchup?

Countering Recoveries
* How could a new Roy intercept Luigi's recovery?
* Should a new Roy watch for the Cyclone recovery?
* Should a Roy immediately shield to prevent being hit by a misfire?

Last edited:

Skippi

Smash Rookie
DED works really well as a method of swatting out fireballs. A Roy can easily act out of DED too; simply by chaining more DED strikes or acting on the FAF.

Screw Luigi's N-Air. Everything about it is anti-fun. Only thing I can say is to micro space all of your attacks to avoid the N-Air. Make sure to keep your combos in small bursts in order to prevent excessive N-Airs. Edge-guarding will be your best method of killing Luigi.

Always expect the misfire. Every time you see Luigi go for a Side-B, shield. Swat out Luigi if he uses Cyclone; doing this probably means Luigi's Death. Otherwise, standard ledge grabbing will work.

N-Air works really well against Luigi's approaches. Do not fast fall the N-Air. A simple SH N-Air allows for a third attack to come out of it. Essentially, Roy spins around for 3 hits instead of 2. As a result, SH N-Air forms an extremely good walling tool. F-Airs also work, though they open up a lot of room for Roy to get hit.

These are all the thoughts on the top of my head. I'll be updating this if anymore come through.

Parz

Smash Rookie
General Ideas:
* I feel like the MU is terrible but I'm pretty sure I'm biased
* Luigi seems to have a free neutral game and I don't know how to approach him
* All I can do is punish is aerial movement with side-b and do some hard read f-smash
* Edgeguarding his missed misfire/up-b with a counter is relatively easy if you know he's going to miss that sweet spot (jab > f-smash can also be a good and safer punish in the same situation)

I really suck at this MU, hopefully someone will be better suited than me to cover counter strategies

Edit: Also, has with pretty much every floaty MUs, trying to stuff approaches with jab, side-b, n-air, and trying to place a cheese f-smash after a misDIed throw are all legit options

Last edited:

BoyBloodRoy

Smash Rookie
This has come along at a magical time in my brother's journey to find a main LOL. Hopefully I can use this information to keep him off of the Green Slippery Coward

Skippi

Smash Rookie
General Ideas:
* I feel like the MU is terrible but I'm pretty sure I'm biased
* Luigi seems to have a free neutral game and I don't know how to approach him
* All I can do is punish is aerial movement with side-b and do some hard read f-smash
* Edgeguarding his missed misfire/up-b with a counter is relatively easy if you know he's going to miss that sweet spot (jab > f-smash can also be a good and safer punish in the same situation)

I really suck at this MU, hopefully someone will be better suited than me to cover counter strategies

Edit: Also, has with pretty much every floaty MUs, trying to stuff approaches with jab, side-b, n-air, and trying to place a cheese f-smash after a misDIed throw are all legit options
I'm pretty new to this matchup as well. I think D-Tilt should theoretically counter Luigi's grounded approaches. If not, dash dance grab should work. I'm sure you have the correct idea with using DED to stuff Luigi's aerial approaches.

Approaching Luigi with aerials is probably not good; he should be able to stuff them with CC D-Smash. D-Tilt at least forces him to go into a tumble state. One of the more funny things I like to do is to randomly run up and counter to punish predictable defensive play.

Top Bottom